What's up with Larry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
I have a question I've been meaning to ask. I've met Bono 3x, first time was during Elevation he was next to the Edge in their escalade, another time during the NY Times interview and this past weekend I got him again as well as Adam; but my question is how come in all these times I've never, ever caught a glimpse of Larry? Come to think of it I haven't read many fan encounters with him :scratch: I could be wrong but does he not enjoy meeting the fans?

Bono is easy :wink: He wants it.....you know the interaction with us fans :up: Larry on the other hand is harder to crack. He can just stroll by without even seeming to notice you're there. Haven't been ignored by him yet but hoping *fingers crossed* to get a chance this tour :laugh: Though the lucky few have gotten pictures and/or autographs from the blonde adonis.

i met larry once. it was brief and he didnt really have much to say - you could tell he didnt want to be bothered too much.
bono on the other hand yacked away for about 10 minutes without letting me get in edgeways :lol:
not that i'm compaining

i did hear stories of people seeing larry in the gym in cape town when they were there for popmart and apparently he got pissed off with people coming up and talking to him every 3 seconds - understandable really, the guy is trying to work those pretty arms of his and keeps on getting interrrupted.

What's up with Larry,he's a grump! And a very sexy one at that!!
I think he's kinda shy, i hear edge is kinda shy too!!
The poor guy wouldn't have a chance to talk to fans,bono never shuts up!!

He's just not a very sociable person and he's in a famous band. So I'm sure that it must be annoying for him, I'm sure he cares about the fans and he has said a million times that he loves his "job" but it must be annoying for him more than it is to the others, I doubt he would disrespect a fan though.

If you read seajewel's listening party thread, she has some closeups of Larry. It's my opinion that Larry will sometimes meet with fans if it's a band related outing, but shuns all fans who seek out the band on their own personal time (like the studio) I think he thinks that if it's 'job related' he will go along with it, but believes fans should not bother the band when they are not on a tour or a promotion for their songs. Since 'just my 2 cents' has been banned, I'll say this is "IMHO" but I think it makes sense and I'm right.

But as someone said, Bono loves it all the time:)

I guess it's seems worse, as Bono is such a sociable frontman. There is a bug (bug?! big) contrast between the two.
Sorry to all you Larry girls :( looks like you get the raw end of the deal

beli said:

I meant you are right. Larry doesnt play the fan /fame game. Theres lots of posts around here of Larry ignoring fans, etc. His perogative.

Interesting, I had a feeling. Too bad I would've loved to be graced by his prescence!

I read somewhere recentlym that he's happy to meet fans when he's doing a 'band thing', but he refuses to sign autographs for anyone that comes to his house or something....It was an interview in the UK recently...:eyebrow:

It's the fans that are making these blokes rich. I don't understand why Larry prefers to ignore them. I never liked that about him. He's still pretty though. :drool:

In his defense - he was very nice to me and did not seem to mind the autograph - it was an album promotion event (he is very handsome:sexywink:)

MalahideChick said:
Because Larry is, to put it simply, an arse.

Don't waste your time on him.

I'm all about Bono anyway. He is super nice and funny- Too bad about Larry though he is 'pretty' :wink: I find it strange since he's the one who 'gave everyone the job' but I guess he's a very private person and I can't say I blame him.

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:
It's the fans that are making these blokes rich. I don't understand why Larry prefers to ignore them. I never liked that about him. He's still pretty though. :drool:

Just because we love their work & have made them rich doesn't mean they owe their entire lives to us.

Although some people find it contradictory, I can easily understand how a very private person (such as Larry appears to be) could end up in an extremely public job. I don't think just because he's famous he wants CONSTANT attention, though. His passion in life - the thing that he REALLY loves doing - has proven to be good enough that others will pay for the privilege of enjoying it. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of that to earn your living - but as I said before, it doesn't mean that he owes those paying folks complete and total access to him 24/7 for the rest of his life.

It does make him stick out, considering how approachable Bono is - but then again, as we've pointed out so many times before, Bono is a creature unto himself! It's no more fair to assume all band members should be just like him than it would be to assume that all women should be just like me! (Whew! - even I shudder at the thought of that!!!) :ohmy: :wink:

BluRmGrl said:

Just because we love their work & have made them rich doesn't mean they owe their entire lives to us.

Although some people find it contradictory, I can easily understand how a very private person (such as Larry appears to be) could end up in an extremely public job. I don't think just because he's famous he wants CONSTANT attention, though. His passion in life - the thing that he REALLY loves doing - has proven to be good enough that others will pay for the privilege of enjoying it. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of that to earn your living - but as I said before, it doesn't mean that he owes those paying folks complete and total access to him 24/7 for the rest of his life.

I never said people should stalk the bloke and camp outside his house. I've never seen why people would fly the whole way over here from weird and wonderful parts just to go to Dublin to meet U2. In saying that, Larry could make a little more time for his fans imo.

I was listening to a clip on the radio a few days ago and it was of britney Spears going to some event and she had waltzed in 40 mins late and ignored all her fans and she was saying how british fans are really embracing to her and she loved them and then they interviewed a fan and she said she'd been waiting all day and Britney ignored them and she could "stick her film up her arse" :lol:

Fans expect a little bit of notice.
I'm sure signing a few autographs wouldn't kill him like :der:

This is what comes of being famous. He must have known that. :slant:

MalahideChick said:

Ya know what? Mayhaps Larry isn't the most sociable person so much...but this reminds me of another musician I love: Ryan Adams.

Ryan has a reputation of being an assy bitch...a total jerk. I've heard stories that would lead someone to believe such, and I don't doubt that they are true. However...I have met Ryan also...even got to talk to him on the phone...and he was the biggest sweetheart ever. I have nothing but good things to say about him. Yet other people tell stories of approaching him only to be snapped at.

Just like Larry, Ryan is a famous musician...BUT HE IS ALSO HUMAN. Just because his job puts him in the limelight doesn't mean he always has to be "on". He does not owe fans anything. We are NOT being forced to listen to U2 and buy their music. It's a personal choice. Larry can act however he pleases.

Bonochick said:

Ya know what? Mayhaps Larry isn't the most sociable person so much...but this reminds me of another musician I love: Ryan Adams.

Ryan has a reputation of being an assy bitch...a total jerk.

Same thing with Simon Lebon I've met him and he was nice but I've heard people telling negative stories to the point where he's brought them to tears. :down: but I'm still a duranie :wink:

MalahideChick said:

that is the furthest thing from the truth!!
When I met him he was such a sweetheart and even offered a pic and an autograph. my mom, my sister and I even got a hug from him.

Guess it all depends on the day....

I didn't actually meet Larry, but when ~LadyLemon~ and I got his drumsticks in Chicago he couldn't have been sweeter or more accomodating. He sat on the edge of the stage so he could reach us, and made sure that we both got them, and not the other fans around us who were grabbing at them, before getting up and leaving the stage. :D

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I didn't actually meet Larry, but when ~LadyLemon~ and I got his drumsticks in Chicago he couldn't have been sweeter or more accomodating. He sat on the edge of the stage so he could reach us, and made sure that we both got them, and not the other fans around us who were grabbing at them, before getting up and leaving the stage. :D

:applaud:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:cute: :up:

Lara Mullen said:

I never said people should stalk the bloke and camp outside his house. I've never seen why people would fly the whole way over here from weird and wonderful parts just to go to Dublin to meet U2. In saying that, Larry could make a little more time for his fans imo.

I was listening to a clip on the radio a few days ago and it was of britney Spears going to some event and she had waltzed in 40 mins late and ignored all her fans and she was saying how british fans are really embracing to her and she loved them and then they interviewed a fan and she said she'd been waiting all day and Britney ignored them and she could "stick her film up her arse" :lol:

Fans expect a little bit of notice.
I'm sure signing a few autographs wouldn't kill him like :der:

This is what comes of being famous. He must have known that. :slant:

Larry is possibly the most private person of them all. We need to understand and respect that. Also, when he's not signing autographs you don't know the reason. Maybe he had a REAL bad day, maybe he just had an unpleasant run in with an obsessive fan, maybe he has some private issues...

He will sign a pic or say a word or two if it's a U2 concert of maybe at the studio, but he has a point in minding the "fanatics" - stalking type of fans harrasing in his private time. He has a right to not socialize with fans if he doesn't feel like it or feel they are intruding his space.

As long as Bono has so much time for the fans, I don't think we can complain.

Last edited:
I think it may depend on when someone goes to talk to him (or the others for that matter) If someone is in the middle of eating or trying to walk his kid to school or something he could get kinda pissy. I can understand that. If he's doing something "job" related then maybe he's more willing to be nice.

Back
Top Bottom