What was your favorite non-U2 concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illumination70

The Fly
I don't know about you other posters, but my favorite non-U2 concert was KISS with the 4 original members (Paul, Gene, Peter and Ace) at The Gorge Amphitheatre in George, WA in 2000.
At the end of the night, my friend and I retired to the Gorge campground via a small, narrow path.
The hilarious part of the path was it was an extremely narrow foot path where over 1,000 members of the KISS-army where getting shoved through.
In fact, I'm surprised the security guards didn't take cattle-prods to us because I felt as if we were being herded as cattle on the path LOL.
Enough about me, what was your favorite non-U2 concert?

Last edited:
:lol: ^that sounds like a concert experience you'd never forget.

I had the chance to see Greenday during their American Idiot tour in Grand Rapids, MI . not a huge venue by any means, but the concert itself was really really great :up: Plus I had nothing but good experiences with the security staff when my nephew had trouble breathing and they had to help us out of the GA area.

The band was in top form, it was IMO their best album yet, and even with the opening acts smoke machine causing my nephew and I a moment of worry the concert was generally just really great.

I don't really have a lot to go on here... my concert experience is rather limited :reject:

Ummm I saw Ringo Starr in... I guess it must have been 8th grade, so nine years ago, with Peter Frampton and Jack Bruce and I have to say it was pretty awesome. The way Ringo does things is he plays a few songs, and the other people in his band get to play some of their songs, so we heard a bunch of Frampton and Cream stuff. My dad about had a heart attack.

I've seen Clapton twice, the second time with Robert Randolph and the Family Band opening and that was also awesome, despite my being on Vicodin because of a migraine.

aaand I've seen coldplay twice, the first time I was front and center one person back (which I still can't figure out since I was fourth in the GA line) and that was pretty awesome too.

I can't pick a favorite out of the three, they were all great.

I saw Green Day this past year also..WOW they are great and if you like the music I recommened seeing them live...I liked them so much I had to get Bullet In A Bible...

I ve been to many concerts other than U2 but U2 is #1 ALWAYS..but you have to fill in the gaps somehow I also enjoy local unknown LA rock bands..I just love live music.....

I've seen a lot of concerts, but the best ones would probably be:

Dave Matthews Band (at the Gorge in WA :rockon: )
John Mayer (also at the Gorge)
Tegan and Sara (the first one of theirs that I went to - I've seen them about 10 times in the last few years :reject: )
Rob Thomas

May fav non-U2 concerts

Springsteen- Giants Stadium July '03 - a true legend

Coldplay- a few weeks back. They're on the verge of U2 like stature, IMHO.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- last August. Atlantic City. So much energy even though the band were a bit off that night and Anthony had monitor troubles and was visably pissed.

Pearl Jam at the Beneroya Hall in Seattle, Washington. This was a benefit concert for an orginization that helped troubled youth. It was a great cause so of course I had to try to get tickets. I live down in Northern California and had no idea how I would even get to the show. There were only 1,000 seats and the hall was a beautiful place usually used for Opera. I logged on to ticketmaster the day of the sale along with 4 other friends spread around the world trying to get tickets. Supposedly at the 1 minute mark they were sold out. Somehow after about 5 minutes I got a ticket. My friends all got shut out. So here I was with a ticket to what was supposed to be the show of a lifetime and no one to go with. I have health issues and usually do not travel alone. Well after a long talk with my husband we decided that there was some reason I got one ticket that I should go. So I drove myself the three hours to the airport and flew to Seattle just for the night to see the show.

I knew the minute I walked into the venue that it was going to be an amazing show. The place was gorgeous. My friend who lives in Seattle had picked me up from the airport and at the last minute was able to get a ticket that was supposed to be for the family of the band that they didn't use.

Long story short a little over 10 years before the show was the day I saw Pearl Jam for the first time on tv. My mother was deathly ill and her and I were laying in her bed together watching tv. PJ came on MTV Unplugged I had no clue who they were. But when they sang the song Black they just blew me away. My mom said that the singer was like a young Jim Morrison. I was hooked from then on. They became a light in a very dark time in my life.

During the middle of what was an incredible show Eddie said they wanted to do a new song for us. That they had been contacted by Tim Burton to do a song for his new movie Big Fish and he had said it was okay to play it for us. We were the first people to here it live. It was called Man of The Hour. The song was so beautiful and I just sobbed and sobbed. The song made me think about my husband who had been the one constant thing in my life for the last 10 years. And the reason I had finally made it to so many Pearl Jam shows.

Then towards the end of the show they played Black. And oh my it was like being a teenager again. It reached in and grabbed my heart and just squeezed. I was crying and singing. It was so amazing half way thru Eddie stopped singing and the audience kept singing. It was just beautiful. Like a moment of pure magic. At the end of the song the place went fucking crazy. I looked over and the huge football player type guy next to me was crying like a baby. It was so cool to know he was affected as much as I was.

It was also the show that I finally got to stand up and give Mike McCready the standing ovation he deserved. He is such a humble guy who has affected my life in such a positive way it was nice to see him getting what he was long over due for. :heart: :love:

Probably Sting w/Annie Lennox at the Alltell Pavillion in Raleigh several years ago. It's not that their performance outshines other artists I've seen (although they were both superb!), it's just the audience was such a different crowd from what I'm accustomed to with most of the shows I see.

No potheads blowing their smoke in your face, no drunks screaming their requests or running around the hill & falling all over everyone, no assholes pogoing into you, etc. :slant: It was a real relaxed vibe & a real relaxed, polite audience... When we weren't watching the acts on stage, Mr. Blu & I just laid back on our blanket, stared at the stars & enjoyed a nice live show. :heart:

I'd love to see them perform together again. :up: :drool:

best non U2 show I saw was Garbage in april 2002. It was in a small venue in Philly called the electric factory..so tiny that I managed to get right in front of the stage, not even 5 feet away from shirley manson :drool: :drool: :heart: they're a great live band, and shirley's fantastic :)

BluRmGrl said:
Probably Sting w/Annie Lennox at the Alltell Pavillion in Raleigh several years ago. It's not that their performance outshines other artists I've seen (although they were both superb!), it's just the audience was such a different crowd from what I'm accustomed to with most of the shows I see.

No potheads blowing their smoke in your face, no drunks screaming their requests or running around the hill & falling all over everyone, no assholes pogoing into you, etc. :slant: It was a real relaxed vibe & a real relaxed, polite audience... When we weren't watching the acts on stage, Mr. Blu & I just laid back on our blanket, stared at the stars & enjoyed a nice live show. :heart:

I'd love to see them perform together again. :up: :drool:

The guy in front of me at this show went completely balistic over Annie. He kept yelling her name and was dancing madly. Needless to say, my friend and I were amused :D

Some standouts from years of concert-going:

-Def Leppard, '92, Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto
-Don Henley, early 90's, Copps in Hamilton
-Blink 182/Greenday, 2002, Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto
-Barenaked Ladies, 2003, Bayfest in Sarnia
-Great Big Sea, 2002 or 03, Horseshoe Tavern, Toronto
-David Gilmour, this past Monday night, Massey Hall, Toronto :drool:

Souly said:

The guy in front of me at this show went completely balistic over Annie. He kept yelling her name and was dancing madly. Needless to say, my friend and I were amused :D
:corn: Completely needless. :giggle:

My first two concerts were Oasis and Coldplay, both nosebleeders at the Molson Amphitheatre. They were great, everyone singing along and completely smashed out of their minds.

My favorite, however, was Franz Ferdinand at the Docks a couple of years back. They definatly rocked the house down. :dance:

U2 came into my Pantheon of Ultra Rock & Roll {esp Live} Favorites......some best shows

The Who> Tommy - Filmore East 10/69
The Who > Who's Next Tour - Forest Hills Tennis Stadium 7/31/71

Bruce Springsteen/E Street - Palladium NYC 1976
Bruce et al................................... Giants Stadium June ?04
bruce et al................................... Shea Stadium ? oct 04
and Bruce with different band show at MSG... ? late 80's?

The Patti Smith Group ...........first gig at The { RIP :madspit:} Bottom Line Club {bought out by NYU} - the BLC was like an Industry SHowcase.... this was her/their First Album - Horses

Television - My Father's Place /Long Island ? 76

Midnight Oil - Irving Plaza late 90's

Last edited:
Korn...Woodstock 99 :drool: :drool: :drool: I actually love every show I've seen (8) but their performance at Woodstock blew my mind!
Tori Amos...The Dew Drop In Tour, May 1996 in Buffalo
Hole...Lollapalooza 95 in Barrie, Ontario
Limp Bizkit...Warped Tour in Buffalo summer 1997 :drool: They were actually good back then!
Mighty Mighty Bosstones...Buffalo in November 1996
Family Values 1998...Rochester, NY :yes: The first show of the tour and it was great IMO.

Phil Collins...Buffalo, NY in September 2004. I've listened to Phil Collins since birth and finally went to see him. Originally our seats were 42 rows back on the floor but some guy upgraded us and we ended sitting in the front row!! :)

dazzledbylight said:

:hmm: interesting........... i visited Colorado Springs in 79...WHERE would the Stones have played?

They didn't.:| I was in Colorado Springs. They played Ft. Collins.:kiss: Considering it was '75, I could have been in Europe and not known it.

I haven't been to too many concerts...but by far the best one besides U2 was Aerosmith in June 2004 at Jones Beach in NY :drool: My dad got my friend and I like 5th row tickets for my birthday right on the catwalk. :bow: I had no idea where the seats would be and we walked in and totally freaked out. When the band was set up on the b-stage we were touching them, and Steven and Tom were playing with us all night. That was one of my most amazing nights ever. Then when they got up to Dream On, Steven and Joe were right in front of us playing and towards the end of the song where Steven does those really big scream kinda things (lol) it started drizzling and it was dark out and the sky was gorgeous and the venue is right on the beach. It was incredible. :heart:

The date on my camera was messed up :wink:
012.jpg

084.jpg

063.jpg

036.jpg

Last edited:
The CURE...... they are musically the best band I know. His voice is special, true.... but it's so perfect.....

Robert is not moving a lot, jumping around or whatever..... but the music transports you somewhere else more that any other band, including U2 that I actually prefer overall....

Back
Top Bottom