what was early u2 NYC area Fandom like- JCOSTER?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Gluey, welcome! I was a lurker for quite awhile until finally I posted.

Although it would be so wonderful to have actually met, talked to, gotten an autograph or a picture of Bono, I was lucky enough to get an acknowledgement in Cleveland, we were right smack in the 1st row Ellipse, right in front of Edge. At the end of the show, when B came around and was giving love (hand to heart to audience) I gave it back to him when he was right in front of me...and in return got a big smile. Not much...but it will have to do! The missus is a very lucky lady indeed.

I quite angry with myself when I missed Brooklyn bridge, and also in 2000 Irving Plaza and an Elevation show, my 1st nephew was being born around the time and sure enough he was born on the first night of the show at MSG.:( Happy I have him though.

As difficult a decision as it must have seemed, I think you made the right choice! As the boys have shown us recently, family comes first.

hope when he gets older he will realize what I gave up just because I loved him before he was even here, his sister is on her way in May, thank God no shows...:huh:

VERY NICE, BEV!!! :applaud:

JCOS........ We tried for Irving plaza but no luck!

But I was listeninjg to the live show on the radio and couldn't tkae just sitting at home any more so i went up to IP.

I couldn't remember IF you could hear anythifg from outside.....You COuldn'''t. But I decides as i rounded the corner and saw a fair anmount of fans waiting....i did too.

It was the first time I EVER [in 21 yrs back then} got anything like close to them.... I saw MTV ppl interview Adam & Edge....I was about 6 people away...they were in Profile & backlit.

THEN i was only 3 people away from Bono......again FIRST TIME EVAH so close ever.....but he was 3/4 or more turned away from very surreal.... :)

Last edited:
gluey said:
Hi guys

I'm breaking my 'lurking' and finally going to join in!

During one of the songs, Bono reached down and swiped her police hat off her head and sang the rest of the song with it on. He gave it back to her and she had to hang on to it tight the rest of the night as all the girls were trying to grab it from her. Knowing what a huge fan I was, the next time she saw me, she gave me the hat to keep!!! I still have it to this day!

I can't wait until they make a date to come back to NZ, it's all I can think about!!

Hi Gluey! :wave: You've got some nice friends! Loved your story!
Welcome to Pleba!!

Thanks guys!! It was a big leap from lurking to contributing!! Can't wait to get to know you all a bit better!!

contributing is addictive... this place has a knack for wanting u to be here whenever you're not doing something else :D

JCOSTER said:
hope when he gets older he will realize what I gave up just because I loved him before he was even here, his sister is on her way in May, thank God no shows...:huh:

Christ, you're generous! I wouldn't have been! :wink:

Babydoll said:
contributing is addictive... this place has a knack for wanting u to be here whenever you're not doing something else :D

And sometimes when you're supposed to be doing other things, like working... it's like an addiction.

right on! :up:

i have an essay to write, several exams coming up, yet this place manages to steal me away from it all!

* blames larry and bono* :p

JCOSTER said:

Today my 18 month old neice ran away with my Bono like shades and thats were I drew my line. No touching U2 stuff!!!!

My kids got hold of my prized police hat that Bono wore onstage here in NZ during ZooTV, they played with it when i wasn't looking and broke a little strap off it...... :sad:

My saddest fact of life is while going through Post natal depression, I sold all my old U2 books and videos at a garage sale.... :banghead: What was I thinking!!!!!!

gluey said:

My saddest fact of life is while going through Post natal depression, I sold all my old U2 books and videos at a garage sale.... :banghead: What was I thinking!!!!!!

:sad: How did you ever recover?

thankyou said:

:sad: How did you ever recover?

I don't think i will recover from that blatant act of stupidity. What has helped is coming here and seeing and recognising so many of those old cherished photos from the books I had! The videos are another matter and I am searching everywhere here in NZ for copies of them....the only ones I have at the moment are Slane, Vertigo & Best of 1990-2000 DVD.....my videos went back to Red Rocks, Unforgettable Fire etc etc..... I was seriously :coocoo:

Check out Ebay, you can find most everything U2 on video/dvd there. And of course, tons of books. Some of the items are pretty cheap. I like to do "buy it now", because then I don't have to deal with all the bidding. Good luck! :up:

Dont't worry about the :coocoo: part. Postpartum does weird things to our hormones. all women who've had kids will tell you that we've all been there at one time or another! :crazy: "

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom