What measures did you take to afford/get tickets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruffian

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Did you beg, steal, borrow? Plead? Max your credit cards? Tell your story here :)

Married someone. Ha ha. No, really I did. The first "big" date we went on my husband took me to a U2 concert.

u2granny said:
Married someone. Ha ha. No, really I did. The first "big" date we went on my husband took me to a U2 concert.
ok, he's a keeper!!! :lol:

Snack_Ramen.gif
[/IMG]

RAMEN! Its whats for dinner..and lunch.........and breakfast:barf:

Kristie said:
my boyfriend paid for mine
I didn't even ask him, he's just like "I'm buying the tickets."
he's a keeper

That's really cool :up:-yeah, he's definitely a keeper.

Since our computer was down for a while last month, we were unable to hear about the tickets for the Denver show being available, but there was this thing on some radio station's website recently to get tickets to that show, and my dad entered for them at his workplace...but we haven't heard anything since then, so I'm assuming we didn't get 'em.

Stupid computer of ours having a virus last month...:mad:.

Angela

Well, I was in Africa when I got an e-mail from a friend announcing the dates of ticket sales. I didn't participate in the pre-sale b/c I was there in Africa (that and I'm never giving a red cent to U2.com). I held onto most of my spending money after receiving the e-mail. A few days after being back, we went to a local TM place and waited in line for 3 hrs only to get a shitty random line draw. Luckily they do this 15 minutes before the sale so we decided we'd have a better chance online and quick went back to my house. We still didn't get anything online though. It was me and six others trying for us and no one got a single ticket. I bought two 5/9 GAs from a broker right away b/c I'd already saved the money. I had to call my mom and ask to use her credit card b/c I'd withdrawn all of my money to use at the TM office and had everything in cash. I paid her back immediately, but I still had to sleep at their house for the weekend to make sure my sibs didn't have parties to repay the favor. Then I decided to work over my spring break to pay off textbooks (was forced to spend a small fortune this semester since I was out of the country and didn't have time to order them cheap from half.com). I was able to find a fan with extra tickets to the 5/7 show and I'm getting those as soon as I have the money for him either from working spring break or my tax return.

I'm going to six shows and it all happened so fast that I haven't worked out all of the financials yet. I either charged my tickets or owe people money for the tickets. I have money coming from my tax returns, work bonus in March, plus I get paid every other Friday so I basically have 2 months a year that I have an extra paycheck. I'll get an extra check in April. And I get a raise at the end of March so whatever is extra on my paycheck for the next few months will be saved. All of the money I have/will have soon is for tickets and all of my travel expenses....and it's still only about 3/4 of what I need to do all of this since I'm going to Dublin for 2 shows. The money I have doesn't include food or spending money. I need to get a passport so there's another $100 right there. I have a really good paying job but I'm finding that I can't travel the world and support myself unless I charge a lot of this (which I don't want to do) or get a part time job. Part time jobs can actually be fun so I'm going to start looking soon.

It's so stressful doing all of this but it will be so worth it in the end! We're going to a few places we've already been to so it'll be a few relaxing weekends and then we are going to a place we've always dreamed about going to. I get to travel with two of my closest friends AND see U2 live. It doesn't get much better than that. :D

Last edited:
Told me hubby what i was going to do, and maxed up the Cards:yikes:

Going to 4 concerts. Got pre sale croke park tickets and made on hotel arrangements, paid OTT for !st London gig,my sister managed to get last 2 saeted tickets for 2nd london, booked a travel package for cardiff.

If my hubby really knew how much they cost!!

all your stories are so great--geez, the lengths we go to :)

i was in australia during the presale and got up at 4 in the morning to get online and try to score tix--took forever and in addition to ticketbastard problems :mad: I kept getting kicked offline by my crap connection! about 30 minutes into I got my ticket for the opener in SD. when the regular sale started i was in new zealand, so had 6 different friends do a combination of waiting in line and using computers. managed to score 2 to chicago that way...then a second SD became available (friend in hollywood used a connection) and a third chicago ticket (ebay, yes I am humiliated). so i'm in debt up to my eyeballs and the third leg, which will be in my region of the US, hasn't even gone on sale! I need to sell a kidney :huh: i'm in europe when they are touring this summer but decided not to spend more dough on an outdoor show--I much prefer the smaller arena experience. anyway, keep the stories rolling! They make me feel less guilty about spending all this money :D

ruffian said:
geez, the lengths we go to :)

I know. It's ridiculous the amount of money I'm willing to spend to see this band. I was talking to my friend at work the other day. We all get a bonus and a raise in March. With her bonus, the extra paycheck we get in April, and her tax money she's going to pay off a credit card and put some of the money on a down payment for a town house. :crack: I'm giving all that extra money to U2! I keep telling myself I'll be able to do the same next year at this time! U2 is so much more important to me right now than paying off a bill or buying a house. :crazy:

Well I got tickets from the presale..they are stinky balcony seats. In the general sale, I was thinking maybe I can go to another show so I picked chicago. So I have a ticket for May 10th and I've been talking to someone on here :cute: and we are going to the May 9th show and hopefully May 7th show. And someone gave me a ticket for the May 26th show for free! WOOT!

All I have to figure out is hotel and airfare and I'm all set. I'm not really worried about money at the moment....erm well maybe I am. heh...:huh:

arw9797 said:

I know. It's ridiculous the amount of money I'm willing to spend to see this band.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I figure this life is not a dress rehearsal--money on something that is personally meaningful to you (and brings you so much happiness) is surely worth it...

see ya in the poor house :wave:

Credit cards :uhoh:

I charged the 3 shows I'm going to on this leg...I live 5 minutes away from the Anaheim Pond and LA is just a short drive so no extra expenses there...its a 2 hour drive to San Diego and I'm staying overnight so I'll have to pay for a hotel room and meals but I'm splitting with some other Interference people so I'm saving there too.

3rd leg is another story....I'm planning on Toronto for sure which means plane tickets, hotel, etc. so I better start saving now :huh: :yikes:

oh yeah--the dreaded Third Leg Expenses! I can't even think about it yet :crazy:

I've seen them on four tours, I'm skipping this one. I know I'll get flamed, but I wasn't that impressed with the Elevation show I saw.:reject:

ruffian said:

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I figure this life is not a dress rehearsal--money on something that is personally meaningful to you (and brings you so much happiness) is surely worth it...

:yes: When I saw Bono speak on on the DATA World AIDS Day tour, I had to buy a scalped ticket for $100 when they were given out for free. I spent Thanksgiving weeked sleeping out on the sidewalk in sub-freezing weather sharing "butt warmth" with three people, two of which I'd known for less than 24 hrs. Was it worth it? Every penny. Do I regret it? Never!

ruffian said:

see ya in the poor house :wave:

It's very much worth it to me. That's why I'm willing to be in debt over it all!!!!! I will never have any regrets about getting to see my favorite band on opening night of a tour, or getting to see them play in their hometown. Plus a few other shows in between all of that. It's always been my dream to be able to do something like this. Not neccessarily with U2 but with any band that I've really liked. I've never been so in love with a band before like I am with U2 so I'm glad that I am able to do this now.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:yes: When I saw Bono speak on on the DATA World AIDS Day tour, I had to buy a scalped ticket for $100 when they were given out for free. I spent Thanksgiving weeked sleeping out on the sidewalk in sub-freezing weather sharing "butt warmth" with three people, two of which I'd known for less than 24 hrs. Was it worth it? Every penny. Do I regret it? Never!

:giggle: "butt warmth" wow, you are committed. you must be under the age of 20 :)

U2Granny, no flames from me; I think everyone has their own opinions on what constitutes a great show. I wasn't that big on the Popmart spectacle and much prefer the pared-down approach that elevation took...

Back
Top Bottom