what does one wear....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
...to a wedding in late November? It's in North Carolina so the temp will be mild (I think). I'm not a girly-girl and I haven't been to many weddings recently so I only have one skirt that I bought for a wedding Phil sang in this summer, but it might be too summery (knee length, blue green and yellow floral print). I'm guessing I need a new skirt and I'm open to anything that's not a mini or something I'd have to wear a thong with (read: nothing white or see through!). I'm not in the wedding, but I'm guessing I'll be sitting with the family (Phil's older brother is the groom). Suggestions? Pics?

Liv,
I'm on the southern coast of NC (Wilmington) and late November is generally mild - depending on your definition of "mild". It also can vary quite a bit between the coast & inland. When we might have 60 degrees and overcast here, my best friend in Raliegh (1.5 hrs northeast) might have 53 and clear skys.

What town is the wedding in?

As for clothes, something as simple as a long (mid-calf length), straight skirt in a solid color with a complimentary-colored long sleeve blouse could work really well & be dressed up with a striking necklace and matching earrings. (i.e., I don't know your "color" but a chocolate skirt with a cranberry blouse or sweater looks really nice for fall. Pair that up with your interesting jewelry and some nice boots (either flats or a semi-spiked heel) and you've got a classy fall look.

Jaysus.....I've worked in Women's Retail before & didn't do a half bad job if I say so myself, but I'm sounding like some bastard version of Donna Karan!! What the hell do I know?!?! I'd much rather be wearing blue jeans & men's oxford shirts, myself!

If you're not a "girly-girl", do you think you can get away with a nice pant suit? I saw an item this week about Sophia Loren, of all people, attending her son's wedding in a lovely, well-tailored pant suit, and she did not look out of place. In fact, she looked great, and not just because she's Sophia Loren. Just a thought.
Personally, I avoid weddings where possible, because I never know what to wear!:wink:

One thing: I refuse to wear pointy footwear or footwear with higher heels b/c I have foot problems and would never spend money on something I'll only wear once (plus I can't wear fancy shoes to work). The choices for the feet are a flip-flop sandal in any color/material (don't worry, I've got them covered!) or a plain brown leather shoe. I could probably borrow some nicer black strappy sandals.

Example:

ed_1_b.JPG

I could wear this (a bit "chunky" though)

130669_0.jpg

Not if my LIFE depended on it!

I'm not sure what city it's in but Brian's a teacher at Terra Ceia school if that helps at all! I don't think it's right on the coast.

Well, if you go with the chunkies, then I think a pant suit would be nice. (And you'd be comfortable.)
I wouldn't be caught dead in those boots!

I was just at a wedding last weekend and I dressed up....just a black skirt and blouse (it was warm). No one else was dressed up. I felt funny with what I had on but I guess I would have also felt odd in something too casual.....

yeah I know...that was so helpful for you.

:)

I agree with the pant suit, but it has to fit really well. I just got one from Banana Republic - a black tone on tone pinstriped, and I LOVE it! It's not banker wear (no offense to bankers), if you know what I mean -more feminine without being "girly". It's more sophistocated. A dressy blouse or even swanky tank/halter top would be great underneath the jacket.

But instead of brown shoes, I would go for some black ones. I think flats would look good - or some low heeled black pumps.

Finish it off with a nice necklace or earrings, and whoolah!

(And if it's a nice fitting suit, you can always wear it again!)

:dance:

Last edited:
[QUOTE
130669_0.jpg

I don't usually get all gooey over shoes, but those boots are just so :combust: HOT!!! :drool: :drool: Wouldn't want to wear them for an 8 or 10 hr day, but for special occasions?!?! Ooohhh yeeaaahhhhh! :)

I'm not sure what city it's in but Brian's a teacher at Terra Ceia school if that helps at all! I don't think it's right on the coast. [/B][/QUOTE]
I'm not familiar with that school name, don't think it's anywhere near the Wilmington area. :huh:

Hey, there's a bunch on eBay for $19.99!

See, like you said 8-10 hr days.....are ALL of mine so shoes like that...no way! I fix computers so I have to dress nice enough to meet with people all day (LOTS of walking to appointments/work orders), but loose enough to be digging around under/behind desks and working in a tool shop. So basically all of my "nicer" clothes are just plain khakis and solid colored sweaters. The rest of the time I walking to and from classes (live off-campus, no car).

OK anyone got some piccies of these pant suit sets? I'm only 20 and don't usually dress very professional or wear tons of makeup, so I don't look older than I am. Refer to my profile if you need to see me. The challenge: find me something under $60!

I like my boots. I wish the heels weren't quite so high, though.

I'm not too crazy about THOSE boots.

I vote for the pant suit.
or the long skirt with a nice blouse.

of course, were it my wedding, khakis and a sweater would be fine

ona2627832-01p1.jpg
ona262779-00p1.jpg

eh? Am I getting closer? I prefer a knee-length skirt b/c I'm not a fan of long skirts or minis. Would a knee-length in a rich color be fall-esque enough? Those are just examples from Old Navy since I can handle their price range and I know basically any skirt in size 8 there will fit right.

:up: I like those skirts.... I would wear them with tights to make them more fall-esque.

Boots....:drool: I'm obsessed with boots, but can't wear most of them because my calves and ankles are too big. :mad:

Those are nice skirts. I especially like the one on the left; I think burgundy is a good fall colour. You could maybe match this with some richer coloured burgundy accessories and a soft coloured blouse.

Back
Top Bottom