What does Larry do about his back problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaleBlueDot

War Child
Hope this is the right forum for this...

Some backstory (haha! cheesy pun!) -- I've been having back problems, and TMJ pain consistently for the better part of this year -- Both related to each other and ultimately caused by stress methinks.

I am a whitewater kayaker and just recently took up drumming...and both activities happen to really aggravate my injuries!

I love them bot too much to give them up, so I am wondering, being the geeks that we are -- What do you guys know about how Larry deals with his back problems? I have found that strengthening of the supporting muscles does help a bit but I've found it hard to maintain the discipline to keep up with it. (I'm no Larry Mullen!) But while I work on improving that, I can't help but wonder if anyone knows what sort of special ergonomic equipment he uses (I know he has a special chair) or maybe even if there are some drummers here that can recommend some stretches or something? I have a very flexible back and find it hard to get a good stretch sometimes!

Thanks kiddos~

he gets injected with bulls blood

"Bono says Larry tried different doctors without success until he went to a German who brought in a holistic healer who started giving Larry shots of bull's blood. That did the trick! Larry's Irish doctor refuses to accept it - he looks at X rays of Larry's crooked spine and says it's impossible, but Larry feels fine. He flies to Germany for shots of bull's blood regularly."

:happy:

u2thewho said:
I'mnot sure if this helps, but I believe he uses custom made cymbals and sticks... maybe someone sells them as an artist model. Good luck!

That's for his hand troubles ... arthritis, I believe.

phillyfan26 said:

That's for his hand troubles ... arthritis, I believe.

and Tendonitis.

What i dont understand is how can he possibly do weights and shit with a bad back and weak wrists ?

:huh:

yeah i thikn he had some kind of surgery or something...but he definitely had spent a lot of time seeking medical attention during the Pop era....
i think i read somewhere that it slowly developed because he never really had formal lessons (he quit really early) and sorta taught himself how to play, so he didn't get his techniques right, so playing like that for so long took a toll. but i could be wrong, i don't really remmeber where i read that...could've been U2 at the End of the World by bill flanagan

tuwie said:
yeah i thikn he had some kind of surgery or something...but he definitely had spent a lot of time seeking medical attention during the Pop era....
i think i read somewhere that it slowly developed because he never really had formal lessons (he quit really early) and sorta taught himself how to play, so he didn't get his techniques right, so playing like that for so long took a toll. but i could be wrong, i don't really remmeber where i read that...could've been U2 at the End of the World by bill flanagan

Hmm ok well I am still a beginner so I guess I'd better get goin' on that!

He gets massages from Bono and Adam. When they're all naked.

Yeah I read that somewhere.

Wait, Larry has a crooked spine? Wierd. I never noticed that. His back looks perfectly straight to me. Always has.

Canadiens1160 said:

Your dreams don't count as having "read that somewhere".

P.S. Knock it off.

Bonochick said:

Your dreams don't count as having "read that somewhere".

P.S. Knock it off.
But you have to admit, I predicted the move to PLEBA with my post. :wink:

I know, but others get reprimanded, and since everybody gets on the case of the mods about being fair...:angel:

Canadiens1160 said:

I didn't think it was possible for you to top your posting of Kermit/stuffed animal getting busya few weeks ago , but Canadien, you've topped yourself with this.................................HILARIOUS
:lmao:

PaleBlueDot said:
Hope this is the right forum for this...

Some backstory (haha! cheesy pun!) -- I've been having back problems, and TMJ pain consistently for the better part of this year -- Both related to each other and ultimately caused by stress methinks.

I am a whitewater kayaker and just recently took up drumming...and both activities happen to really aggravate my injuries!

I love them bot too much to give them up, so I am wondering, being the geeks that we are -- What do you guys know about how Larry deals with his back problems? I have found that strengthening of the supporting muscles does help a bit but I've found it hard to maintain the discipline to keep up with it. (I'm no Larry Mullen!) But while I work on improving that, I can't help but wonder if anyone knows what sort of special ergonomic equipment he uses (I know he has a special chair) or maybe even if there are some drummers here that can recommend some stretches or something? I have a very flexible back and find it hard to get a good stretch sometimes!

Thanks kiddos~

In the U2 by U2 book, Larry said that during the recording of POP, he finally had his back operated on. Larry being the private person he is, didn't elaborate more on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom