What Do Their Nick Names Mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate1

War Child
Hi everyone! I am really cheesed off cos i really want to know what...

A. Bono's nick name is? Internet is rubbish to find this out!

B. Whats his real full name, my teacher said it is Paul....

C. Why the edge is named the Edge?

D. Is he called the Edge cos he lives on the Edge?

PLEASE ANSWER THEM ALL. PLEASE :huh:

A: Bono's had a few nicknames. Bono Vox of O'Connell street was one of the first, which was shortened to Bono Vox, and now it's just Bono.

B: His real name is Paul David Hewson.

C: The Edge (real name David Howell Evans) is called the Edge because of his sharp, "edgy" features, his brightness and also because of him supposedly "living on the edge." I'm sure there's a few other reasons why too. His first nickname was Inchicore. :D

Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbangbang.

Was Bono's first nickname.

http://www.u2faqs.com/history/a.html

Adam had 2 nicknames, but I've not heard anyone say what they meant. Binky was written on something from the early years, referring to Adam, that was "discovered" among the things Larry loaned to the Rock and Roll hall of fame museum, and Sparky. No idea the story on either one.

I've heard that "Sparky" came from the little shocks Adam kept getting because he was plugging his amp up wrong.

My question is where did "Lardence" come from?? I remember B&E talking about it on the "Unforgettable Fire" documentary, but I never got it's origins. :confused:

Edgespet said:

My question is where did "Lardence" come from?? I remember B&E talking about it on the "Unforgettable Fire" documentary, but I never got it's origins. :confused:
At the UF recordings Brian Eno said he had to look for 'Lardence' because he was to record another drum solo. Edge and Bono sat behind Brian on a couch and Edge spelled 'Lardence' - that's where he got taht name from. Lardence is the Irish form of Lawrence I was told. :huh:

But we should never foget about Larry being called Smelly! :lmao: (from the R&H recordings at Sun Records)

FallingStar said:
Lardence is the Irish form of Lawrence I was told. :huh:

Ah. That would explain why I kept seeing either one...I got confused there for a while, I was like, "Okay, is it Lardence or Lawrence?" I keep forgetting that these names are spelled differently in other countries. :reject:.

Originally posted by FallingStar
But we should never foget about Larry being called Smelly! :lmao: (from the R&H recordings at Sun Records)

Hehe. :D.

Originally posted by Edgespet
I've heard that "Sparky" came from the little shocks Adam kept getting because he was plugging his amp up wrong.

:laugh:...I'd never heard that. Poor Adam. :hug: :adam:.

I'd heard somewhere that he got his nickname 'cause he smoked, but I don't know if that's true. :shrug:.

Angela

Edgette said:

C: The Edge (real name David Howell Evans) is called the Edge because of his sharp, "edgy" features, his brightness and also because of him supposedly "living on the edge." I'm sure there's a few other reasons why too. His first nickname was Inchicore. :D

And it was/is his sharp cheekbones.

"How come Adam and Larry have normal names?"

A common question I get from non-U2 fans. How do you guys handle this lame question? My normal answer "Cause that's how it is, don't question the U2 greatness!" is usually not received well.

If I meet Larry someday, I think I will call him Lawrence just to piss him off. :D

LOL! THANX U GUY! you lot have taken a huge heep of stress off me! LOL :wink:

I thought The Edge is called David Evans, yeepe hes part of my clan!

The funny thing is my uncle is called David Evans LOL!

Does that mean that Edge is Welsh not Irish? :huh:

How strange! When I saw the name of this thread, I thought, what nicknames? U2 don't have nicknames!

And then I saw Kate's questions, and I thought, ohhh ... those nicknames! Bono and Edge ... it's funny because I don't think of them as nicknames, that's just what their names are! Not "Paul" or "Dave" but Bono and Edge.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
How strange! When I saw the name of this thread, I thought, what nicknames? U2 don't have nicknames!

And then I saw Kate's questions, and I thought, ohhh ... those nicknames! Bono and Edge ... it's funny because I don't think of them as nicknames, that's just what their names are! Not "Paul" or "Dave" but Bono and Edge.

Hehe I think they prefer that way now. But Bono's dad would not call him Bono, so for him, he associates Paul with being in trouble. Guess it was like getting called by your full name (middle name too) by your parent/s.

Even his mum calls him The Edge.

thrillme said:

Hehe I think they prefer that way now. But Bono's dad would not call him Bono, so for him, he associates Paul with being in trouble. Guess it was like getting called by your full name (middle name too) by your parent/s.

Even his mum calls him The Edge.

In a way it's not really surprising that they probably prefer it...they've been Bono & Edge for almost twice as long as they were Paul & Dave.

:lol: :lol: Can't help thinking Bono probably heard "Paul David Hewson!!!!!" quite a bit growing up!!

Mrs. The Edge...LOL!!:lol:

Edgespet said:
:lol: :lol: Can't help thinking Bono probably heard "Paul David Hewson!!!!!" quite a bit growing up!!

Haha, oh, I definitely can believe that, especially considering he was known as the "anti-Christ" as a child. :p :yes:.

~*Buffalo*~, I know what you mean, it would seem weird to call them Paul or Dave after knowing them as Bono and the Edge for so long. And my dad's name is David, so I find that kinda funny, too.

Angela

Bono Vox = Beautiful Voice

Bono's name: Paul David Hewson or Paul David Hewson Rankin :eyebrow:

The Edge is Dave Evans, and in the era of boy he used to be called the edge because of his chin.

Sorry if anyone else have said it, I just didn't read it.. I'm skiping class... *looks aroung* hehe :wink:

aine_hewson said:
Bono Vox = Beautiful Voice

If I remember well from my latin lessons at school, there's a little error in it: in latin, you should say "bona vox" --

Vox, vocis= this is a feminine noun

P.s.: Bona, in Italian, sounds quite vulgar as a word; while Bono is ok -- strange little things

And, Angela: YES, that's really the meaning! And it's absolutely appropriate for that man!!!!

Back
Top Bottom