What Do Their Nick Names Mean? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
War Child
 
Kate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 742
Local Time: 04:12 AM
What Do Their Nick Names Mean?

Hi everyone! I am really cheesed off cos i really want to know what...

A. Bono's nick name is? Internet is rubbish to find this out!

B. Whats his real full name, my teacher said it is Paul....

C. Why the edge is named the Edge?

D. Is he called the Edge cos he lives on the Edge?

PLEASE ANSWER THEM ALL. PLEASE
__________________

Kate1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Edgette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: White Sox Country
Posts: 11,700
Local Time: 11:12 PM
A: Bono's had a few nicknames. Bono Vox of O'Connell street was one of the first, which was shortened to Bono Vox, and now it's just Bono.

B: His real name is Paul David Hewson.

C: The Edge (real name David Howell Evans) is called the Edge because of his sharp, "edgy" features, his brightness and also because of him supposedly "living on the edge." I'm sure there's a few other reasons why too. His first nickname was Inchicore.
__________________

Edgette is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Steinhegvanhuysenolegbangbangbangbang.

Was Bono's first nickname.

http://www.u2faqs.com/history/a.html

Adam had 2 nicknames, but I've not heard anyone say what they meant. Binky was written on something from the early years, referring to Adam, that was "discovered" among the things Larry loaned to the Rock and Roll hall of fame museum, and Sparky. No idea the story on either one.
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 11:12 PM
I thought adam's was sparky cos he got shocked once
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Larry's is Lardence, Babyface Mullen
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mullen-Girl
I thought adam's was sparky cos he got shocked once
Oh wait, and the afro, yes it all makes sense.
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
Refugee
 
Edgespet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Foothills of East Tennessee
Posts: 2,373
Local Time: 11:12 PM
I've heard that "Sparky" came from the little shocks Adam kept getting because he was plugging his amp up wrong.

My question is where did "Lardence" come from?? I remember B&E talking about it on the "Unforgettable Fire" documentary, but I never got it's origins.
Edgespet is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,800
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Edgespet


My question is where did "Lardence" come from?? I remember B&E talking about it on the "Unforgettable Fire" documentary, but I never got it's origins.
At the UF recordings Brian Eno said he had to look for 'Lardence' because he was to record another drum solo. Edge and Bono sat behind Brian on a couch and Edge spelled 'Lardence' - that's where he got taht name from. Lardence is the Irish form of Lawrence I was told.



But we should never foget about Larry being called Smelly! (from the R&H recordings at Sun Records)
FallingStar is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,121
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FallingStar
Lardence is the Irish form of Lawrence I was told.
Ah. That would explain why I kept seeing either one...I got confused there for a while, I was like, "Okay, is it Lardence or Lawrence?" I keep forgetting that these names are spelled differently in other countries. .

Quote:
Originally posted by FallingStar
But we should never foget about Larry being called Smelly! (from the R&H recordings at Sun Records)
Hehe. .

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgespet
I've heard that "Sparky" came from the little shocks Adam kept getting because he was plugging his amp up wrong.
...I'd never heard that. Poor Adam. .

I'd heard somewhere that he got his nickname 'cause he smoked, but I don't know if that's true. .

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 04-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
souLnation2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,052
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Edgette


C: The Edge (real name David Howell Evans) is called the Edge because of his sharp, "edgy" features, his brightness and also because of him supposedly "living on the edge." I'm sure there's a few other reasons why too. His first nickname was Inchicore.
And it was/is his sharp cheekbones.
souLnation2002 is offline  
Old 04-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
War Child
 
BluberryPoptart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 532
Local Time: 04:12 AM
Bono Vox means good voice!
BluberryPoptart is offline  
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
madonna's child's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,567
Local Time: 12:12 AM
"How come Adam and Larry have normal names?"

A common question I get from non-U2 fans. How do you guys handle this lame question? My normal answer "Cause that's how it is, don't question the U2 greatness!" is usually not received well.

If I meet Larry someday, I think I will call him Lawrence just to piss him off.
madonna's child is offline  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
War Child
 
Kate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 742
Local Time: 04:12 AM
LOL! THANX U GUY! you lot have taken a huge heep of stress off me! LOL

I thought The Edge is called David Evans, yeepe hes part of my clan!

The funny thing is my uncle is called David Evans LOL!

Does that mean that Edge is Welsh not Irish?
Kate1 is offline  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
biff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I may have lost my way
Posts: 4,014
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Edge was born in London. His parents are Welsh. They moved to Dublin when the little Edgelet was one.
biff is offline  
Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
War Child
 
Kate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 742
Local Time: 04:12 AM
YEY! WE ARE THE SAME ME AND DAVE.
Kate1 is offline  
Old 04-24-2004, 04:50 AM   #16
War Child
 
~*Buffalo*~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Small-Town Slovakia
Posts: 574
Local Time: 05:12 AM
How strange! When I saw the name of this thread, I thought, what nicknames? U2 don't have nicknames!

And then I saw Kate's questions, and I thought, ohhh ... those nicknames! Bono and Edge ... it's funny because I don't think of them as nicknames, that's just what their names are! Not "Paul" or "Dave" but Bono and Edge.
~*Buffalo*~ is offline  
Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #17
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~
How strange! When I saw the name of this thread, I thought, what nicknames? U2 don't have nicknames!

And then I saw Kate's questions, and I thought, ohhh ... those nicknames! Bono and Edge ... it's funny because I don't think of them as nicknames, that's just what their names are! Not "Paul" or "Dave" but Bono and Edge.
Hehe I think they prefer that way now. But Bono's dad would not call him Bono, so for him, he associates Paul with being in trouble. Guess it was like getting called by your full name (middle name too) by your parent/s.

Even his mum calls him The Edge.
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #18
Refugee
 
Edgespet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Foothills of East Tennessee
Posts: 2,373
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme


Hehe I think they prefer that way now. But Bono's dad would not call him Bono, so for him, he associates Paul with being in trouble. Guess it was like getting called by your full name (middle name too) by your parent/s.

Even his mum calls him The Edge.
In a way it's not really surprising that they probably prefer it...they've been Bono & Edge for almost twice as long as they were Paul & Dave.

Can't help thinking Bono probably heard "Paul David Hewson!!!!!" quite a bit growing up!!

Mrs. The Edge...LOL!!
Edgespet is offline  
Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,121
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Edgespet
Can't help thinking Bono probably heard "Paul David Hewson!!!!!" quite a bit growing up!!
Haha, oh, I definitely can believe that, especially considering he was known as the "anti-Christ" as a child. .

~*Buffalo*~, I know what you mean, it would seem weird to call them Paul or Dave after knowing them as Bono and the Edge for so long. And my dad's name is David, so I find that kinda funny, too.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 04-24-2004, 09:53 PM   #20
Refugee
 
agentmissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where ever the music takes me.
Posts: 1,797
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


Haha, oh, I definitely can believe that, especially considering he was known as the "anti-Christ" as a child. .

Angela
__________________

agentmissa is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×