What Are You Looking For 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
The giant scaffolding on the stage and the seemingly endless barrage of video screens blinded Kay's eyes. She had never seen anything like it in her life. The crush of warm bodies packed into the stadium mingled with the scent of stale beer and euphoria. Kay was grateful she was in the front row and therefore was afforded a bit of room to breath.

Kay's voice was already hoarse from all the screaming she had done. As soon as the crowd saw Bono stumbling onto the stage to the riff's of Edge's guitar in the opening song, they all went wild and Kay had been caught up in all the excitement...

She was mesmerized by Bono. It was difficult for her to take her eyes off of him. Although there were three other men on the stage, it seemed as though he demanded everyone's attention and the audience responded loudly to to his slightest movements. She watched him as he prowled around the stage in black shiny leather and sneered proudly at the inundation of camera flashes reflecting off his bug-eyed sunglasses. He was The Fly.

Kay's location was to the left of the stage and she looked up briefly toward Edge. After watching him play with such precision and intensity she marveled at his craft. The guitar seemed to be an extension of his body, not merely an instrument but an actual part of his being. As he began to wail out the opening notes to Until The End of the World, Kay could of sworn he caught her watching him. Almost embarassed at the thought, Kay flashed a nervous smile. Edge responded with a small smirk and a quick wink.

As soon as that seemed to happen he was gone and heading toward the catwalk, where Bono was jeering and calling out to Edge. Kay watched the metaphorical battle between the two play out. Good and evil. Man and mortality. Edge eventually overpowering Bono with his screeching notes. This is amazing, thought Kay. She screamed along with the crowd until she felt there was no longer any sound left in her.

While Edge walked back to his original place Bono took off his sunglasses. His bright blue eyes almost came as a shock to Kay and she felt a catch in her breath. She had seen them before in photographs but she was amazed at just how piercing they truly were, even at her distance.

"How are we all doing!" Bono shouted to the crowd. The audience all hollered back their appreciation while Bono paused to wipe his damp hair away from his face.

"Well, this next song is an important one to me. To all of us really." Bono continued. "It's about a hope. A hope that there is someone for you...someone that you got to wait patiently to find and once you do...well...once you do all the time spent waiting will make sense. To the hope."

The slow crescendo of the music began and Kay recognized instantly one of her favorite songs, With Or Without You.

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you

Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

Kay smiled at her own memories of the song. She had listened to it countless times and mouthed the words along to Bono's.

With or without you
With or without you

Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for you

Bono had walked off the catwalk and towards Edge. Kay felt a push of the group of people behind her as Bono walked closer to the edge of the stage. As he squatted down, one elbow on his knees and his free arm stretching out into the distance, it seemed as though thousand of arms and hands instantly surrounded Kay. Everyone was pushing so tightly against her all she could seem to see was endless limbs on all sides. Kay lost all sense of where she was...she was totally swept away in this sea of people. Kay closed her eyes, feeling clausterphobic and close to being unable to breath. She slowly reached out her hand, trying to reach for some sense of space in the clutter.

Suddenly Kay felt a hand grasping the inside of her wrist. Instinctively, she closed her own hand around the forearm that seemed to promise an escape. Kay's eyes flew open and she was feeling herself lifted out of the crowd and into the blinding bright lights before her. As soon as her eyes adjusted, she could see the arm she had been gripping so tightly was Bono's. And he was standing there in front of her with a look of complete surprise. He seemed frozen, his microphone still held up towards his mouth.

"My God," Bono said breathlessly. "It's you."

Back
Top Bottom