What a f***ing arsehole ! (O/T)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naya

Refugee
A review of the Hamilton Show, taken from the on campus newspaper of the McMaster University. Sweetest Thing posted the link in EYKIW. There are two reviews and two different views of the show on that site

http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/sil/aande/u2.htm

But the second review pissed me off so much.The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He seems more interested in shock value or gaining attention than anything else. I'm wondering why the guy even went to the show. He seems to have such a hate towards the band and making fun of the fans. He makes fun of U2's clothing ! What kind of review is that? Piece of shite. WHAT A FUCKING WHINER. It pisses me off when someone like that can go and see U2 while some real fans would be more happy to be in his place.Well see for yourself:

If only they had played "Discotheque".
The biggest "band" in the world came to Hamilton at Copps Coliseum this
past Saturday. I use the word band loosely because really, they're more than
a band--a corporation maybe. They advertise; they have investors; they have
an image to uphold, and they have a CEO--Bono, or as he prefers to be called,
"Yahweh."
Opening up for U2 was the once successful Garbage. Usually I find them to
emulate like their name, but at this show they seemed to have more heart,
more spontaneity than their headliners. Shirley Manson gyrated on stage,
played all of their hits, and mentioned how there's a Hamilton back home in
Scotland. She wasn't bullshitting us with facts her manager had just briefed
her on. She knew nothing about Hamilton and didn't hide it. Although, I'm
not the biggest fan of their music, something about them on Saturday was
just done right. I'm reviewing the concert so it's probably my job to
actually find out what that thing was, but I'm lazy.
Garbage finished their set, said goodbye, and left. The audience cheered,
more about the fact they were leaving than for their performance. The wait
for U2 began. A couple of roadies came out and tested the equipment. One of
them even began to play a few solos on the drums. If only he had stayed.
"All You Need Is Love" began to play. I almost puked. People around me
were singing along, hugging their loved ones. I sat down in protest.
Lennon's voice filled the stadium, praising loving. I didn't want to hear
it. A few more songs played, a couple false cheering alarms erupted when
people thought they saw the entrance of their heroes. One particularly
bright fan started up a chant of "U-2! U-2!." Bored, I looked around the
audience, noticing I was probably one of the youngest people in attendance.
My worries multiplied.
And then I saw Bono. I saw him across from me, below me, to the left of
me. All around me I could see Bono look-a-likes, with slicked back hair,
wraparound sunglasses and leather coats. Why is it that at every concert
there are so many morons emulating the look of the lead singer? I saw this
stuff at Weezer too, and I wasn't impressed. There was only room for one
dorky looking thick rimmed glasses wearing guy there, just like there was
only room for one Bono at U2. I take that back, there's never room for Bono.
Finally, the guys made their entrance. It looked like they were straight
out of MuchMusic. These guys were characters, they weren't singers and
drummers and guitarists. They had a persona to keep up. Maybe that's the
attraction for some people.
They looked like men having their midlife crises, trying desperately to
be cool. The Edge (who the hell is so pretentious as to put an article in
front of their name, like they're so damn unique) was wearing a toque. The
one guy, Adam, I think, was wearing a purple shirt. Now a purple shirt is
bad enough, but this bastard matched it up with army fatigue pants.
They began with their recent hit, from the Tomb Raider soundtrack,
"Elevation". Apparently, hooting constitutes vocal range nowadays because
that's all Bono's been doing lately. Opening with one of their new songs
raised my worries once again. I hoped it wasn't a sign of things to come. I
had no interest in hearing any of their new songs.
The lights came down after their first song, and the giant heart that
surrounded the stage and part of the floor lit up. Bono began to walk around
the heart, singing a wide variety of their songs, new and old.
They all sounded the same though. Begin with a small bassline, move in
with a little bit of percussion and then have the whole thing erupt with
Bono's prepubescent screams and wailing over the noise. Everything sounded
exactly like it does on the records. A testament to their manufactured
music--one giant machine churning out hits to the panting masses.
The guy beside me was loving it. He had his hands in front of his mouth,
trying to contain his ecstacy, but then, he just couldn't do it anymore, and
he exploded into screams of delight, waving his arms in the air, screaming
out "Sunday Bloody Sunday." I pictured him having his own garage band
aspiring to one day be the next U2. Playing all hours of the night,
butchering the songs U2 has made billions off of.
The gigantic spectacle continued for about 14 songs. The crowd never left
their feet. People were in awe when Bono selected a member of the audience
to come up on stage. After a minute of trying to teach this guy how to play
the guitar, Bono gave up and handed him the mike, telling him to just sing
the songs instead. After the song was done, the guy wanted to continue on
with them. Bono allowed this for about a minute and then quickly had him
hustled off the stage quietly.
The concert continued on and on.
The band played their non-hit song, "New York", but the audience for some
reason enjoyed this, in a non-enjoyable way. They acted respectful.
Apparently anything that even mentions New York City merits applause. The
names of the many killed at the WTC disasters scrolled over the big screen.
Was this really the place for this? Bono, picked an American flag out of the
audience, and, clutching it tightly in his hands, looked up to the sky with
tears in his eyes, as if to say "Look! I'm not just a musician! I have
emotions too!"
When the lights went up, I left Copps and walked with the mob of ecstatic
people to the parking lot. A drunken homeless guy was singing loudly at us
all, "Fuck you all. Fuckers!" Best singing I heard all night.
* Matt Doyle

[This message has been edited by Naya (edited 10-31-2001).]

A word to Matt Doyle: ASSHOLE!
mad.gif

------------------
*~"Bono's Pupeteer"~*

Originally posted by Naya:

But the second review pissed me off so much.The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He seems more interested in shock value or gaining attention than anything else. I'm wondering why the guy even went to the show. He seems to have such a hate towards the band and making fun of the fans. He makes fun of U2's clothing ! What kind of review is that? Piece of shite. WHAT A FUCKING WHINER. It pisses me off when someone like that can go and see U2 while some real fans would be more happy to be in his place.Well see for yourself:

B]

Ok, I've had a minute to absorb the absolute SHOCK of this review. I can't believe this guy and I totally agree with you Naya. I was at the Hamilton show and it was the best I've ever seen!!!! He didn't even give the show a chance, and obviously went there knowing he was going to write a bad review. This guy is NOT a fan and it's so sad because a REAL FAN missed out on this great concert because of this jerk!!

I can't believe how rude that is. Everything he said was so mean.
frown.gif

Like: "There's never room for Bono"...um hello...I beg to differ.

and everything he said about their clothes, and how they are trying to portray some image? They are so NOT doing that!
And I'm sorry....but making fun of Adam's purple shirt and camo pants???? I don't think so....
mad.gif

How can he criticize Bono's singing? I don't even want to go there...

nuff said!

------------------
*Men should not be forced to wear pants if its not cold* ~Adam

*Larry's always been noticed cause he's the pretty one*

"Do you have a final message for the crowd today, something they can take home with them...as if this wasn't enough?"
Larry: "Something they can take home with them?...I'm not taking off my clothes."--MuchMusic tv show, May 2001

This is just one of those journalists who doesn't know shit about what they're writing an article on. He doesn't know shit about U2, or their music. I feel sorry for the people that had to sit next to the asshole.
All he is, is one of those "I'm going to break the mold by writing an extremely bitchy article" kind of dumb asses. All I can say is, he must live a sad life if he can't even enjoy a kick-ass concert by U2.

WHAT IN THE HELL??? WHAT A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A MUSIC REVIEWER...HE OUGHT TO BE FIRED. HE DIDN'T EVEN REVIEW THE MUSIC WITH ANY KIND OF SPECIFIC COMMENTS OR REMARKS ABOUT THE SONGS OR THE SHOW IN GENERAL. WHAT?? HE'S TALKING ABOUT THEIR CLOTHES...THAT IS JUST PLAIN SHOWING HIS IGNORANCE...SHOWS HOW JEALOUS HE IS THAT HE CANT HAVE SUCH UNIQUE FASHION SENSE AND STYLE...AND HAVE ADORING FANS EMULATE...AFTERALL, THE GOAL IS ELVEVATION...WOO WOO! SO GET UP OFF YOUR KNEES, MATT DOPEHEAD, ITS MUCH NICER UP HERE! AND HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE MY BABY ADAM..CALLING HIM A BASTARD. YOU ASSHOLE...I WISH ALL OF THE ADAM LOVERS IN THE HOUSE COULD JUST RE-ARRANGE YOUR FACE. YOU NEED AN OVERHAUL ON JUST BEING A HUMAN BEING, YOU JERK!!

------------------
life should be fragrant; rooftop to the basement. :)

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

why did he go to a U2 concert in the first place if he hates then that much. There are thousands of real fans out there who can?t be a ticket and this guy can!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Whats the bloody point of buying tickets to a show if you hate the band! Considering I haven't been able to go to this leg stuff like that makes me soooo angry!

Give your tickets to me next time Twat Doyle
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this guy must have an email address where he can be reached. I would like to know it. If someone finds it out PLEASE post it. I am offended b/c this guy had the nerve to bash the fans as well as the band.
~Honey

PS-How does this guys make it through life openly disliking the BEATLES?!

I have read a lot of unfair and stupid reviews about U2 before, but this takes the cake. What a total idiot. Anyone who could sit down during a Beatles intro has to be a heartless bastard who knows nothing about...anything really.

I don't even know where to begin. The sheer ignorance is mind boggling. A minuscule amount of research on the band would perhaps have revealed how the band gets involved in their causes and how The Edge got his name!!!!!

No Room for Bono in U2???? *speechless*

Did it occur to this guy that there was a reason why everyone around him was so ecstatic?

And this stuff about opening with a new song KILLS me. 99% of bands start concerts with their new songs. What does he expect? And then he says he wants hits and gets them and still hates it?

This is pure posturing. This guy is not worth the effort of typing this message.

I wonder why they sent him when he obviously DOES NOT like them!! Could he be even more mean??? gees. Go back to listening to whatever shit you like, and leave U2 alone!!!!!!
I took a concert review was supposed to be objective???
YOU SUCK MATT DOYLE, I'm gonna hunt him down and kick his ass!!!

------------------
"The goal is elevation"
"Midnight is when the day begins"

[This message has been edited by Stafana (edited 11-01-2001).]

This guy reminds me of 4 people: Henry Rollins, two guys next to me, and one guy behind me at the first Chicago concert in October.
I wasn't going to say anything because I thought it was pointless, but at Chicago, 10/15, these two zitty guys next to me, who had FABULOUS seats, stood up and everything, but they didn't act excited or clap or anything. They kept leaving and getting beer but for the majority of the show they were there. I kind of got irritated at them for pushing me already, but at the beginning of 'What's Going On', Bono made a speech (I think it was that song, it's jumbled up) and they both screamed, very loudly,"Motherf*ckers" for about 8 minutes or more. Then when 'One' started, they screamed insults a bit more and then left. A man behind me, this idiot who kept smoking cigars, said loudly (but not loud enough for hardly anyone but people around him to hear),"F*ck you!" when Bono said something about 9/11 and how terrible he felt.
Now do you think that is a way to behave? :p
Then, to top THAT, the second day, I had tickets for the floor and I lined up all day, from 8:00 to 6:30 in the freezing cold, and those two zitty guys who screamed so much came to CUT IN THE LINE. Am I the only one who thinks this is absolutely horrible?

------------------
it's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 11-01-2001).]

Argh.... I agree with Jess, I'm not wasting the time on this guy's review.

He can go home and listen to his BSB cds, he wouldnt know good music if it came up and bit him in the ass.

------------------
"Edge, it's you she wants...it's you!...I know him! He's in my band!" Bono - Zoo Boston, 1992
- Kathleen -

If I were his journalism prof. I would flunk him for writing such a crappy, useless review. He apparently did not learn much from his courses. I hate it when fans lose seats to jerks like these. The NY Post review was pretty crappy too.
mad.gif

Everyone in here has spoken volumes; I agree that this was a very unfairly written review. They shouldn't have asked someone who blatantly hated U2 that much to write the review - at the least, they should have asked someone who had CONSTRUCTIVE things to say. And making fun of the way people dress (LOL when none of the band members were dressed in an inappropriate manner) should have no bearing when it comes to rating the quality of performance or musicianship. The band has been together for 25 years, without interruptions or any break-ups (which is very rare!) and the musical quality has remained very consistent. That's good enough reason for anyone to like them!

Anyway, did anyone click on that link and read the FIRST review? This one was writen by a student who adores the band. However, there was something she said that bothered me - I'm paraphrasing this but at one point, when she was talking about the 1 1/2 hour wait for the show to begin once she came into the Coliseum, she said something like everyone was waiting for the "healing" to begin. "Healing?" I was at that show, I was excitied as anyone else was when they came onto the stage, but U2 are humans, like us. I hate it when people "elevate" (LOL sorry for the pun) celebrities, etc. to god-like status.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the band and I respect them as people, artists, and musicians. I just don't believe they have "healing powers". They are humans. I don't want to seem I have to make everything "politically correct" either, I understand what she was trying to say.

PS Edited only because of typos.

[This message has been edited by senrab (edited 11-01-2001).]

LOLOLOLOL hahahahaha, good one.

Originally posted by Burning_Azalea:
The only way I can respond to this uninformed critic is by posting this...

GD57845.jpg

There ... I feel better now!
tongue.gif

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
This guy reminds me of 4 people: Henry Rollins, two guys next to me, and one guy behind me at the first Chicago concert in October.
I wasn't going to say anything because I thought it was pointless, but at Chicago, 10/15, these two zitty guys next to me, who had FABULOUS seats, stood up and everything, but they didn't act excited or clap or anything. They kept leaving and getting beer but for the majority of the show they were there. I kind of got irritated at them for pushing me already, but at the beginning of 'What's Going On', Bono made a speech (I think it was that song, it's jumbled up) and they both screamed, very loudly,"Motherf*ckers" for about 8 minutes or more. Then when 'One' started, they screamed insults a bit more and then left. A man behind me, this idiot who kept smoking cigars, said loudly (but not loud enough for hardly anyone but people around him to hear),"F*ck you!" when Bono said something about 9/11 and how terrible he felt.
Now do you think that is a way to behave? :p
Then, to top THAT, the second day, I had tickets for the floor and I lined up all day, from 8:00 to 6:30 in the freezing cold, and those two zitty guys who screamed so much came to CUT IN THE LINE. Am I the only one who thinks this is absolutely horrible?

Bloody Hell! I hope they didn't manage to cut in!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Personally I think it's so unfair that these people get to go to the shows and spoil them for other people when there are thousands of fans (me included) who haven't been able to make it to the 3rd leg and would be eternally gratefull for the opportunity to do so! Especially as the 'zitty guys' had GAs
icon28.gif

*fumes*

What a wanker!!!!!!!

This guy's review is so shocking, I mean was he even at the right show? Hello? U2 is one of the best bands on this planet and they put on a really good show. This guy must have been having a bad day, didn't like U2, and took it out on them (damn wanker!!!) Grrrr

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
www.angelfire.com/tx2/KITIYU2

"I am a sexy mofo, what can I say?" --What Larry really says to himself when he looks into the mirror every morning

Question from Caller:we want to know how he's maintained his youthful looks. we think he looks so much younger than the rest of the band

Larry:let me put it this way. Michael Jackson got the idea of the oxygen tent from me. and all this hanging out w/ monkeys and shit like that, it's all to do w/ that.

This is the biggest piece of garbage that I've ever read.

I curse myself for wasting time to read this.

------------------
And if you dance then dance with me...

Bloody Hell! I hope they didn't manage to cut in!!!!

Because everyone was on alert, they didn't manage to get in. In fact, I think because people were so angry at linecutters that day, next to none got in.

------------------
it's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 11-02-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom