West Australian's be sure to tape bono on the Arias!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cass85

The Fly
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, so please move if not!

Bono just contributed an incredibly eloquent video tribute to Midnight Oil who were put into the ARIA Hall of fame at the ARIA awards tonight. (and he looked gorgeous!)

I managed to shove my dvd on at the last moment, but missed the start of it, so if any sandgropers would be so awesome as to record it and youtube it or the like, I would love you!

I know it came on and I was so excited!!!! Im upset that I couldnt tape it, it would be great to have on video.....how beautiful is he!!!!! My god, he looked great...i could seriously sit and listen to him talk all day

Didn't he just caz_87! He looked f***ing beautiful and what he said was so unbelievably eloquent...just amazing...and his voice sounded more irish or is that just me - I'm with you, I could listen to that man talk all day!!

Ok, I'm a little overexcited!

So yes, please West Aussies get this on tape!! Tape from when the dude from sony bmg starts inducting the oils into the hall of fame because he introduces bono's speech...and bono speaks at two points, so be sure to keep the tape on!

Dont worry I'm way overexcited as well!!!!!! And i totally agree, unbelievably eloquent.....it was beautiful. It was the highlight of the whole night...someone please upload it onto youtube!!!! NOT LONG TO GO NOW!!!!!! U2 boys coming down under yay!!!

Oooh cool. I'd love to see this. I saw Midnight Oil perform live in the early 80's. This would be cool to see! Thanks!

Images from Bono’s speech
Image1030-1112TV910.jpg

Image1030-1112TV96.jpg

Image1030-1112TV92.jpg

Image1030-1112TV91.jpg

I was just about to post that Cass85!

ABC.NET.AU

Oils attack music industry over ignoring political activism

Winning was not the only challenge at last night's ARIA music awards, with legendary Australian rockers Midnight Oil using their Hall of Fame induction to attack the music industry for its lack of political activism.

The band urged today's new talent to sing about issues that matter.

Bono from supergroup U2 honoured Midnight Oil with an introduction to their award.

"If Midnight Oil could mean any one idea, it would have to be that Australia could be more, for more people, and that the only obstacle to that is indifference," Bono said.

The Oils bemoaned the seemingly lack of political activism in music today, with former band member Rob Hirst saying the industry might be guilty of ignoring upcoming players.

"Maybe complaint rock is still being written, but ignored by an industry hypnotised by get-famous-fast TV shows," he said.

Former Oils frontman and now federal MP Peter Garrett also thanked Silverchair's Daniel Johns for his tribute.

"The fact that he's done that is a mighty compliment and I'm very very flattered, and it was a very sweet thing of Daniel to do," Garrett said.

AND if you click on the video link in Cass85's post, you will see a bit of Bono as well :wink:

Last edited:
There's 3 parts total. The first part has Bono in it, the second is Silverchair's performance, and the 3rd is the Oils' acceptance speech. I know it's posted in one other spot as well as the Midnight Oil thread :wink:

bonocomet said:
Aww the clip has been removed :(

Already?! Bugger! Remember the good old days when youtube used to be reliable! I've lost half my bloody favourites now that they've started to clear accounts with copyrighted material!

Oh just checked, the vid was taken down by the user, so hopefully they're just fixing things up and it'll be put up again *crosses fingers*

Back
Top Bottom