Well I'm excited!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I just got back from visiting Christopher Newport in Neport News, VA. I LOVED the campus. It was small and easy to navigate, and pretty. Not to mention the new dorms.....you walk in to the lobby area and it has a cathedral ceiling, it's nicer than most hotel lobbys! So then we went up to the 4th and top floor into a dorm and it was NICE. It was very spacious for a dorm, and the school furnishes you with a microwave/freezer/refridgerator.
The average class size is 25, which is smaller than my classes in HS! The president of the school is a former senator, and i got to meet him wednesday night. When I told him i wanted to go into politics he said that he wanted us to have 'talks' :wink:. Also, the president and his wife invite every freshman into their house over the course of the first semester. The size of the school is just under 5,000 and they want to keep it that way, which i like.
The campus is also 15 minutes from Busch gardens, water country, and 45 minutes from Virginia Beach!! It is also a "dry" campus, meaning no alcohol allowed.
CNU also offers an application where they will notify you within 72 hours about whether or not you are accepted, which i will do. I take my 3rd and final SAT next saturday, and when i get my score I will begin to fill out the application. I'm so excited!

by the way U2kitten we drove around Newport News and when we got closer to the shipyard (which was SO cool) i could see what you meant about the deterioration. but, the area around the campus and down, i think it was warwick ave, was very nice. but i'm used to staying in a "bubble" here in richmond so i think i can do that at CNU.
By the way CNU is ranked the #1 safest campus in VA and #5 safest campus in the NATION.

U2democrat said:
by the way U2kitten we drove around Newport News and when we got closer to the shipyard (which was SO cool) i could see what you meant about the deterioration. but, the area around the campus and down, i think it was warwick ave, was very nice. but i'm used to staying in a "bubble" here in richmond so i think i can do that at CNU.
By the way CNU is ranked the #1 safest campus in VA and #5 safest campus in the NATION.

Sounds like a winner.:up:

That's great U2democrat. You'll have to discuss your political career with the president, that's for sure! That's a great way to get started.

Yeah, and since i'll be majoring in Poli sci i'll have the opportunity to intern at NATO!!!! Though i'd rather do it at the white house or capitol hill (which it also offers) because that's where my main interests are.

I know, it's insane! But with the president being a former senator and representative he has loads of awesome connections. for instance, bob dole was the commencement speaker this past year. that would've been a hoot!

Bob Dole was the commencement speaker? He gives a good speech, I would have liked to have heard it. Wow, the guy does have great connections!

U2democrat said:
The campus is also 15 minutes from Busch gardens, water country,

15 minutes?? Wait until you spend an hour in one of 64's frequent backups. The road between Patrick Henry Mall and Busch Gardens is always the most crowded, especially on Saturdays.

and 45 minutes from Virginia Beach!! It is also a "dry" campus, meaning no alcohol allowed.

Well hope you got $7 to park, because there are only a few meters and they're always taken and you aren't allowed to park in neighborhoods anymore or get a ticket. I don't even go down there anymore. Oh, and also the cops will ticket you for playing your stereo with the windows down, and there is a cruising law where you can get a ticket for passing the same spot more than twice in an hour.

I'm telling you, ignore me if you want, Hampton Roads SUCKS SHIT and you will be sorry. Don't say I didn't warn you. Oh well nobody listens to me :shrug: I've only lived here most of my life.

I was very afraid you'd be fooled by the old timey cosiness of the old village on Warwick Blvd. The rest of the city is quite a sewer hole. Even the Denbigh area is now dangerous. I think Patrick Henry Mall might be okay, I haven't been there in awhile. Coliseum Mall and Newmarket north in Hampton were cool when I was your age but trash now. I used to see U2 at Hampton Coliseum now nobody comes there. Well, you be careful.

Hey U2democrat, you should come to me and Ellen's school! We've got like 4300 students (but a larger campus for a school our size), a "dry" campus, one of the best PoliSci depts in the country for a school of our catagory, and are always in the top 5 "Best Collages" list for our catagory. And safe too. The Campus Safety reports are usually nothing more than stolen bikes or girls passing out b/c they're anorexic. The last bad thing I can remember happening was like 7 years ago a girl was raped, but the guy that did it was a serial rapist and wasn't associated w/ the college (I don't remember why he was on campus) and they nailed his ass. We are also 45 minutes at most to three different beaches (we have Lake Michigan which is basically an ocean with no salt). We have some shitty neighborhoods, but you'd never need to go near them. The campus is basically surrounded by a family-type neighborhood. It's mostly young families and college professors. There's some college houses too but we keep it down b/c the school does get pissed if they here we're being too rowdy.

Anyway, our school :up: especially if you already know what you want to study, that makes it so much easier.

Wow!!! This is SO exciting! It's bringing things back to me (from LOOOOOONG time ago). Good luck to you!!

I also want to say that, of course, the college and your chosen studies are the most important thing, and if that's best for you, that's cool. But please don't be fooled into thinking it's a good area. I know so many people, esp. military families, who transferred here by choice because they thought it looked good on paper, but were very sorry and stuck later. I know we're all different, and one person's hell is another's heaven, but this really isn't a good place to live. But hey, just because you're going to college there doesn't mean you'll end up living there, the whole world is waiting for you!! :yes: :up: Good luck! :)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
5 "Best Collages" list for our catagory.

heh, I'm not dumb, really. I wrote that after I woke up sick this morning. Then I slept for three more hours. Now I can spell again.

Well this is the best collage ;)

bonocollage2.jpg

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hey U2democrat, you should come to me and Ellen's school! We've got like 4300 students (but a larger campus for a school our size), a "dry" campus, one of the best PoliSci depts in the country for a school of our catagory, and are always in the top 5 "Best Collages" list for our catagory. And safe too. The Campus Safety reports are usually nothing more than stolen bikes or girls passing out b/c they're anorexic. The last bad thing I can remember happening was like 7 years ago a girl was raped, but the guy that did it was a serial rapist and wasn't associated w/ the college (I don't remember why he was on campus) and they nailed his ass. We are also 45 minutes at most to three different beaches (we have Lake Michigan which is basically an ocean with no salt). We have some shitty neighborhoods, but you'd never need to go near them. The campus is basically surrounded by a family-type neighborhood. It's mostly young families and college professors. There's some college houses too but we keep it down b/c the school does get pissed if they here we're being too rowdy.

Anyway, our school :up: especially if you already know what you want to study, that makes it so much easier.

Except it costs an arm, a leg, and your firstborn. :faint:

U2democrat, is CNU public or private? *too lazy to look it up myself* You sound so excited. :cute:

I found out last week that we have the best Political Science program at any private college in the States (this is according to one of my professors though, so it may be baised :sexywink: )
:up: for PoliSci, by the way. :)

And Lies, the girl who was raped 7 years ago was by an acquaintance, I thought. Either way, I used to work for campus safety, and seriously. NOTHING happens. EVER. Somebody strung something up on a flagpole last year and we were all like "ooOO, something to do!"

We'll stop pitching our school to you now. :wink:
I think one of the most important things (probably THE most important) in picking a college is that you WANT to be there. A lot of people came here from our high school just for lack of anything better or lack of willingness to explore other options, or because their parents went here etc., and even though it's a great school they're not totally happy here because they feel like they were funneled here.

Anyway, good for you for finding a college that suits you. :up: You sound like you'll have a great time.

And if you don't, you can always transfer. :wink: :tongue:

Wow lots of feedback!
U2kitten: I know its not the best area, but I'll focus on my studies on campus. I'm not worried. Besides, I'll only be there certain months of the year for 4 years, it's not like i'm going to live there the rest of my life.

CNU is public, and was on the front page of the Richmond Times Dispatch today.
Here's the article:
http://richmondtimesdispatch.com/se...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778319570

PSSS-(i'm to lazy to edit)
U2kitten, I appreciate your concern for my safety, that's very sweet! :hug:
but the campus just FEELS right, and it offers great opportunities. I'm sure you'll understand.

U2democrat said:
PSSS-(i'm to lazy to edit)
U2kitten, I appreciate your concern for my safety, that's very sweet! :hug:
but the campus just FEELS right, and it offers great opportunities. I'm sure you'll understand.

Then that's where you should go. Most campuses are a world unto themselves anyway. I remember last April when we had this terrible ice storm. They got everything on campus cleaned up, but my parents were gone on spring break so I had the car to take home and water plants. When I turned off campus onto the busy road, EVERYTHING was coated in ice. None of the street lights or stoplights were working and I had to dodge fallen trees every few blocks. But on campus they plow everything immediately and you've got your own generators running everything so you sometimes forget how things really are. I'm guessing you'll be living on campus for a year or two anyway. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom