Website part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyahern

Blue Crack Supplier
8 years and I still can't think of anything witty
Okay let's try this again :)

From Lies:
"Kelly, have you made any websites before? It's fine if you haven't, I just don't want to explain things you might already know or skip over things you don't."

No, I've never done one before :reject: I've bought some "how to" books though :lol: I just haven't gotten very far in them yet :reject:

I've been thinking about the gallery organisation, and what about dividing it into 2 parts: one for the official pictures and the other for the "private"ones. That way it would lay the stress on her work and prove some people she's not "just" Mrs Hewson. :tongue:
Or you could also tidy the pics according to the dress she wears and her shoes!:lol: Ok, back on topic!

I think that would be a great idea to put the date and location of each pics if you know it (for instance I have a whole folders filled up with pics but it's hard to remember the context of all of them:eyebrow: ).

You could also have a multimedia section with some videos: I have the one from the LA (I think) concert where she kisses Bono on stage if you're interested, maybe there are others.

And maybe a kind of trivia section with things such as the face cream she uses (I read a topic on that one), the brand of some of her clothes if you know it... I know it may seem stupid but I'm sure there are thousands of people out there wondering about it! :lol:

Anyway, good idea ladies! :up: She deserves a site about her!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about starting a website so I can't help y'all there, but I do want to say that I think Ali is very deserving of this attention and I thank you for the time and effort you're putting into this project.

I may be a newbie here but I've been a U2 fan since 1980 and I'm a longtime admirer of Mrs. Hewson. She could very well have led her life as 'just Bono's wife' and spent all her time partying and lounging on beaches. But, instead, she chose to use her intelligence and compassion combined with her access through Bono to the rich, famous and powerful, to try and make a real difference in a part of the world that desperately needed help - Chernobyl.

Don't get discouraged by uninformed negativity. Ali deserves attention in her own right. I look forward to visiting your site (even the shoe page).

Flavia, MrsSprinsteen, Souly -

Just wanted to let you guys know that the smartftp program has a tutorial (if you click under help one you login to the ftp). It did a pretty good job of explaining how to upload files to the ftp. It didn't take to long, so if you guys have time, it's a good place to start :)

So I think I understand how the ftp is used for storage. How the files are put so they can be viewed on the actual web page and the html language, that's what I don't get yet :reject: :lol:

If you have time Lies, can you explain to us how you set up the index page and how we can view it? I also had trouble logging in the the IP address you gave us, I could login in to dutchbingo.net okay, but not the specific IP address for the Ali folder (maybe it's just a temporary glitch, it worked fine last night :) ). Thanks for all you help and generosity :hug: I know you are really busy and about to leave :bow:

Last edited:
Advah said:
I've been thinking about the gallery organisation, and what about dividing it into 2 parts: one for the official pictures and the other for the "private"ones. That way it would lay the stress on her work and prove some people she's not "just" Mrs Hewson. :tongue:
Or you could also tidy the pics according to the dress she wears and her shoes!:lol: Ok, back on topic!

I think that would be a great idea to put the date and location of each pics if you know it (for instance I have a whole folders filled up with pics but it's hard to remember the context of all of them:eyebrow: ).

You could also have a multimedia section with some videos: I have the one from the LA (I think) concert where she kisses Bono on stage if you're interested, maybe there are others.

And maybe a kind of trivia section with things such as the face cream she uses (I read a topic on that one), the brand of some of her clothes if you know it... I know it may seem stupid but I'm sure there are thousands of people out there wondering about it! :lol:

Anyway, good idea ladies! :up: She deserves a site about her!

Hi Advah! :wave:

Yeah, anything that you might have and we haven't seen yet will be more than welcome! Please feel free to send to either to Kelly, Regina (Mrs Springsteen) or myself. :)

Yeah, i think it would be cool put add captions to the pictures stating where/when and in which circumstances were taken.

I have lots of articles about Ali and her different social activities as well as some quotes from/about her. And of course Kel has tons of pics. She's the picture queen! :D

I also have a few video clips that are pretty cool. I don't think I have the one you mentioned Advah.

Zootomic said:

Don't get discouraged by uninformed negativity. Ali deserves attention in her own right. I look forward to visiting your site (even the shoe page).

Hi Zootomic! :wave:

Thanks for your kind words and support.

I think I can speak for the rest of the girls when I say that we are not one bit bothered by some people's comments. We do know why we are doing this: because we look up to ALi's social work and her contribution to different causes. I think we can see beyond the fact that she's married to a rock star. :) As somebody said in an article: she's not just Mrs Bono. :)

Did anyone liked my idea about having quotes from her and stories from people who have met her?

Also things Bono have said about her. Maybe if the site gets big you could contact her and make an interview with her! :ohmy: That would be awesome! :up:

Yup, we have already thought about that and are trying to make it happen. We'll let you know as soon as we have news. :)

And thanks for the suggestion to add stories from people have have met her. That's pretty cool. :)

kellyahern said:
How the files are put so they can be viewed on the actual web page and the html language, that's what I don't get yet :reject: :lol:

If you have time Lies, can you explain to us how you set up the index page and how we can view it? I also had trouble logging in the the IP address you gave us, I could login in to dutchbingo.net okay, but not the specific IP address for the Ali folder (maybe it's just a temporary glitch, it worked fine last night :) ). Thanks for all you help and generosity :hug: I know you are really busy and about to leave :bow:

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten (yet!). I'll try to get you some explaination later tonight; right now I'm on a hunt for my stuff sack and watch....

I think your website is a really good idea. There is so much I'd like to know about Ali as an individual. She's a great woman.

OK, Kelly....

First of all, about the IP thing and not being able to login anymore, it's not your fault. I don't know why, but the provider keeps changing the IP address. I guess all we can do it try the one entered in SmartFTP at the last login and if you get the time out error, to lookup the correct IP:

go to Start > Run
type "cmd"
It will open a black command prompt window
type "ping www.dutchbingo.net" and hit enter
it will return some info, but what you're looking for is the IP address it gives you in parentheses. You'll see something like this:

ping.JPG

Use that IP address in SmartFTP instead. I just tried now and it changed from .86 to .85. Who knows when it will change again :rolleyes:

You can X the window or type "exit" command once you've got the IP.

Now, for the index page......

OK, first, there are three basic ways to make a website:

1) use some free service like angelfire or tripod where all you need to do is choose colors from a list or enter text in text boxes and it automatically "creates" the site for you

2) use some software like Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia Dreamweaver that helps you create a site by generating the HTML code for you and also has a built in FTP client for uploading updates

3) learn HTML code or whatever language you'll use and build the whole thing from scratch and use an FTP client to connect

Now, when I started I didn't have any handy software to help me, so I learned basic HTML and found some great sites that give you code for more advanced things. I now have access to some great software, but usually it takes me longer just to figure out how to use the software than to type out the HTML code. Option #1 is not possible b/c the provider doesn't offer that type of interface. If you like option #2, I can get you some software, but I won't be much help explaining how to use it. Option #3 is the most difficult, but once you learn the concept behind web building, it's pretty easy to figure things out.

As for the index page and how it got there....basically, all I do is open Notepad (yes, that otherwise good for nothing "word processor" that comes with Windows, see Start > Programs > Accessories), type out the HTML code, and save the file as htm or html. Then I upload that file.

For example, go to your site www.dutchbingo.net/alihewson

Right click anywhere on the site and choose View Source or View Page Source. You'll get a window w/ just a little bit of code. When I made you guys the /alihewson directory on my domain and gave you FTP access, I opened Notepad, typed that code, saved it as index.htm and uploaded it into /alihewson. That took maybe 2 minutes. Here's my other site: www.nadiacomaneci.com Right click on there and View Source. I typed all that code too and it took a few hours for a few days to get it right! So to answer your question, to "view" the index file, you can either download it (using smartFTP, open a Local Browser window with the button that has a folder w/ a magnifiying glass over it, and just drag the file from where you see it in /alihewson onto your hard drive to get a copy), then right click on it and choose Open With.... > Notepad. Or you can do what I described above and go to the site, view the page source, and copy that text into a notepad document.

Is this making any sense so far?

TheBrazilianFly said:
Maybe if the site gets big you could contact her and make an interview with her! :ohmy: That would be awesome! :up:

I know a few people who sent a mail to PM, and the replies they got (when they got some:| ) were far from being nice!:ohmy: But maybe, as it's not precisely U2-related, it'll be different. And anyway I think it's a good idea to let them know what's happening! :)

Niamh, at which address do I send the video? :)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

For example, go to your site www.dutchbingo.net/alihewson

Is this making any sense so far?

:yes: I think so :)

I can view it in notepad okay by going to the webpage and rightclicking "view source" :) When I click on the link above though, it's still a blank page on the website. Am I supposed to see the "Coming soon" on the website, or do we have to add another html code to make the page viewable to the general public?

Last edited:
Advah said:

I know a few people who sent a mail to PM, and the replies they got (when they got some:| ) were far from being nice!:ohmy: But maybe, as it's not precisely U2-related, it'll be different. And anyway I think it's a good idea to let them know what's happening! :)

Niamh, at which address do I send the video? :)

Please send it to flavia_cobas(at)yahoo.com.ar

Thanks! :D

Kelly et al,

Sorry I didn't get to it! I'll try to figure it out when I get back. Or, feel free to delete that index file and start over if you want to try.

Okay, there were a couple of tags that weren't closed, I guess Firefox didn't care. :shrug: Anyway when I closed the tags I got the text to show up in IE too. This is what I did.

<html>
<head>

<title>Ali Hewson Unofficial Fansite</title>
</head>
<body>
<center>
<font face="arial" size="7" color="midnightblue">

<br><br><br>
<b>Coming Soon!</b><br><br>
The Ali Hewson Unofficial Fansite<br><br>
</font>

</center>

</body>
</html>

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Kelly et al,

Sorry I didn't get to it! I'll try to figure it out when I get back. Or, feel free to delete that index file and start over if you want to try.

That's okay, we know you're really busy getting ready to leave for Africa :hug:

When I get home, I'll try changing it to what neutral did (thanks neutral :wave: ).

And thanks again for all you're help Lies :bow: :hug: We really appreciate it :up:

If you want, I can set up a generic photo gallery (like the one I have on my site) and you can post all Ali pictures there, in different categories, and can list their title & info about the photo, like location.

I'm home in a few days so let me know. :)

oliveu2cm said:
If you want, I can set up a generic photo gallery (like the one I have on my site) and you can post all Ali pictures there, in different categories, and can list their title & info about the photo, like location.

I'm home in a few days so let me know. :)

That would be great! :hyper:

Flavia, MrsSprinsteen, Souly - what do you guys think? :)

Back
Top Bottom