Was that Bono on my flight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rose2005

Babyface
I had a strange encounter on Tuesday, March 25th on a flight out of Boston that I thought I’d share.

At around 9:30 AM, a man wearing black jeans, a blue button up shirt, a black jacket, boots, and black framed glasses (but not really tinted) appeared standing not to far from the boarding area. He was standing apart from everyone, and gabbing away (not too loudly, but in a very animated manner) into a very discreet earpiece/blue-tooth type device. He had a black carry on and computer type case as if he were on a short trip. What made me think at first it was Bono was his gait, though I was thrown off by the hair, which seemed a bit longer than I have seen in photos. I tried to get closer to hear him speak, but he kept walking. He boarded with the first class call, but it wasn’t a large plane, and I actually had a premium seat up front (you’ve got to love on-line check in which releases these seats at the last minute). When I boarded, I noticed he was seated two rows behind me. He had the row to himself. He was still talking and talking away, and I couldn’t help but look very hard at him while I was putting my case in the overhead bin. From the front, the resemblance was uncanny—eyes, smile, facial structure, facial hair. After my long stare, he smiled at me, nodded, and said hello, and I did the same, and realized I had better take my seat because I was blocking the aisle. My intuition told me it WAS him.

So it was hard to refrain from looking back at him once we took off. For the first part of the flight, he was engrossed in USA Today. When I saw his eyes look straight ahead I was convinced—but the hair was troubling. It was clearly colored, maybe even highlighted a little (a wig?). He seemed to fit in with the nerdy/hip business crowd, but he still stood out. During the latter part of the flight he dozed a little, and I could see that he had three piercings in his left ear. (He was not wearing any earrings or rings). I also noticed he had a bit of a tan, like he had been abroad somewhere sunny recently. What really convinced me it was him, was when he was waking up upon landing, I noticed a huge cross/rosary hanging out of his shirt.

I tried to accost him when deplaning, but I got very awkward…when I tried to turn to him he said “pardon me” and proceeded ahead to get his gate checked luggage. At that point, I got flustered, and moved along to get my own luggage…

So was this Bono? Or was it a complete phantasm or delusion? Does he ever travel solo on commercial airlines?(Does he go out incognito?) It’s driving me crazy that I will never know.

Sounds like a very unpopular "impersonator" (I use the term loosely) who seems to dress up as Bono every day. Even if he has no reason to other than to trick people.

Would Bono fly commercial?

I think it was the impersonator who shall not be named.

I would have done something like walk down the aisle, trip--land in his lap...just to be sure.

I have no shame.

Definitely NOT Bono... he has never had a tan in his life! Whiter than white Irish :)

And Bono with a bluetooth earpiece.... nah! :no:

And also, I have to say, if you are a fan of Bono, you would have NO doubt it was him. What I mean by that is, it's ALWAYS obvious it's the real deal.... if you had doubts, it is not him.

Carrie

Out of curiosity, rose2005, your flight was from Boston.... to where?

You never mentioned where you were travelling to.:wink:

I'm from Boston. There is some nut that is a Bono impersonator who does it to get attention, I'd say. As others here have said, the giveaway is the tan. He caused a big stir May 2007 over in East Boston-the same neighborhood Logan Airport is in coincidentially. You most likely saw him, you would know if it was the real deal, but you can certainly be forgiven for asking, as that impersonator is damn close in many ways.

bella88 said:
U2387 do you know his name?

I don't think we should mention his name here in case it wasn't him. Don't want to be talking about someone specific in a thread when it might not even be them.

Just be assured it wasn't Bono.... :)

Carrie

:rolleyes: Oh no, not the Impersonator again.

Also come on....Anyone who thinks a celebrity of Bono's status would fly commercial is dumb, ESPECIALLY to travel alone, carrying his own baggage. :no: Doesn't happen in this century.

Bono has been seen with a tan, he's not always pale, like last summer he had quite a pretty tan that made his blue eyes shine very nicely. :drool:

OK, back on topic: I don't think that was him, doesn't sound like Bono, most likely an impersonator.

:lol: Bono doesn't tan... he burns! just like the rest of us with whiter than whtie skin and light hair!

:wink: hate to break the news to you, but this is definately NOT Bono...
I bet you can find this guy on his schedule on his website.. yet I cant remember the adress

Carek1230 said:
Anyone who thinks a celebrity of Bono's status would fly commercial is dumb

While I don't think you had any bad intentions and may have been making more of a general remark as opposed to addressing a specific individual, don't you think that a statement like that is a bit rude to rose2005, who made her very first post on Interference to ask that very question?

Let's please be a little more welcoming.

On the way back from Hawaii in 2006 Larry was in the security line next to me with all his family having to take out all his liquids from their carry on baggage and having to take of his shoes to go through the metal detector.

I think when not on tour it's not totally unheard of any of them to fly commercial.

That said, I have no doubt that the person described by the OP was not Bono.

Bonochick said:

While I don't think you had any bad intentions and may have been making more of a general remark as opposed to addressing a specific individual, don't you think that a statement like that is a bit rude to rose2005, who made her very first post on Interference to ask that very question?

Let's please be a little more welcoming.

I am sorry, you are absolutely correct in that I meant no harm by the comment.

Carek1230 said:

I am sorry, you are absolutely correct in that I meant no harm by the comment.

I figured as much, but with rose2005 being new here, I just wanted to make sure nothing was taken the wrong way. No worries! :)

What if Bongo went to a tanning parlor and had one of those spray on tans done in 7 sexy seconds?

:angry:

But wait does Bongo have 3 piercings in his left ear?

:wink:

diamond said:
What if Bongo went to a tanning parlor and had one of those spray on tans done in 7 sexy seconds?

Yes, indeed he does. But has not worn anything in them for a long time. And of course, someone who wants to be mistaken for him could copy that.

And oh, why oh why did you have to go and put that image in my head?! Bono... in a tanning salon... naked... oh okay, you aren't usually naked in a tanning salon... but it's my mind, I can do what I like with it!!! :evil:

Carrie

I'm stuck on the image of Ramblin Rose watching Larry take off his shoes.

were they the holey doc martens?

:lol:

I am obsessed with those shoes of him (in the negative sense:censored: )

diamond said:

:lol: and don't forget those ridiculous HUGE crucifix earrings... yea, bongo definately has those!

diamond said:

:no: I tried the spray tan last year...let's just say that crap makes you look like you played in the mud and haven't bathed in 6 months.

ramblin rose said:
On the way back from Hawaii in 2006 Larry was in the security line next to me with all his family having to take out all his liquids from their carry on baggage and having to take of his shoes to go through the metal detector.

I think when not on tour it's not totally unheard of any of them to fly commercial.

That said, I have no doubt that the person described by the OP was not Bono.

Rockstar or not, you still gotta make sure you're wearing clean socks at the airport. :p

Bono does have an Irish accent, if the person didn't have one, not Bono. You'll hear his accent even if it isn't as thick as it used to be.

Last edited:
bella88 said:
U2387 do you know his name?

No I do not, but it is out there somewhere. Just google Boston Bono impersonator or Boston Globe Bono impersonator, they had an article. As for Carrie, dont worry, his name has been out there for a while, just a crackpot who has exactly what he wants now in terms of attention. Not important.

Back
Top Bottom