Vote Larry Sexiest Vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
He's in the running every year and has yet to be crowned the winner. Why not this year?

Vote Larry PETA's sexiest male vegetarian. A kid from Good Charlotte won last year and that's just unacceptable.

http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o-sexyveg07.asp?c=p2sv07132

And I know a lot of people don't agree with PETA for various reasons or think polls like this are bogus, but I say why not try to get a little more attention for our guys?

i think larry looks too thin in the years since he became vegetarian. :reject: *hides*

Speaking of a contradiction, he's a vegetarian who used to get injected with bull's blood... :huh: (According to that book, anyway.)

ETA: Wow, there are tonnes more men on that list than women... and how come some names were in bold and some weren't? :scratch:

Last edited:
Alisaura said:
Speaking of a contradiction, he's a vegetarian who used to get injected with bull's blood... :huh: (According to that book, anyway.)

ETA: Wow, there are tonnes more men on that list than women... and how come some names were in bold and some weren't? :scratch:
Why did he get the injections...sounds creapy...:reject:

tlski said:
Why did he get the injections...sounds creapy...:reject:
It was apparently supposed to help with his back problems, around the Zoo era, as prescribed by some holistic healer in Germany, or something like that. He was doing back excersises too, so I'm guessing they probably helped more :wink:

ABEL said:
i think larry looks too thin in the years since he became vegetarian. :reject: *hides*

oooh, c'mon.. he's looking good and perfect I think..
He always was thin, since boy.. So, it's not a surpirse..
And he needs to take care.. When we're coming old, we have the bad habit to grow fat...
So, keep going Larry, you're really sexy to me :drool:

vimullen said:

And he needs to take care.. When we're coming old, we have the bad habit to grow fat...

haha, yeah, vegetarian defintely doesnt mean skinny for some people (me included.) has he ever been quoted about his reasons for vegetarianism? with the whole blood thing...plus i think he wears leather...so i'm curious about what he's said about it. there's many different reasons we choose to be vegetarian.

I have 19 years of experience on this subject so I'll throw in a few comments and also try to clarify a few things about vegetarianism.

I'm hardly skinny. Not all vegetarians are thin. I know a lot of them that have weight problems. I usually eat way too many carbs as part of my meal because an all fruit and veggie diet is not very satisfying. Just because you cut out meat from your diet doesn't mean that you're only going to eat lettuce for 3 meals a day. I've had a lot of people make comments to me that they're suprised to hear that I'm a vegetarian because I'm not stick thin. :shrug: I come from a family of short and round people!

Lots of vegetarians wear leather too. I do on occassion but not a lot. My main reasons for becoming a vegetarian was that I never liked the taste or texture of most meats. It wasn't an animal rights thing. A lot of vegetarians that I know have given up meat for lots of reasons but very few have been for animal rights issues. So seeing Larry in a leather jacket is not odd at all. If he were a vegan then yes. But just vegetarian, then no.

Also, someone made a comment about smoking. I don't understand what that would have anything to do with not eating animal flesh.

As far as the bull's blood goes, I also don't think that has anything to do with being a vegetarian. A lot of people think that vegetarians contradict themselves by not eating meat but wearing leather or eating dairy. There's several different groups you can lump people in that don't eat meat. It depends on what they omit from their diet and lifestyle. Vegans do not put any sort of animal product in or on their body; vegetarians do. We eat dairy and/or egg products, wear leather, etc. The only thing we don't eat is the actual animal flesh (sounds gross but I don't know what else to call it). Some people consider themselves to be vegetarian if they only cut out red meat from their diet but eat the occassion poultry or fish. It depends on the extent of how far you want to go with it. I can't stand the idea of eating any sort of meat but I can't live without cheese.

I hope that helps with any confusion.....

arw9797 said:
Vegans do not put any sort of animal product in or on their body

I was reading an Australian magazine called the Vegan Voice (out of Melbourne, I think) and they noted a couple of variations of veganism -- dietary and lifestyle. Lifestyle vegans are as you describe -- they use no animal products at all. Apparently dietary vegans don't eat any animal products, but aren't as picky about the rest of it.

Before reading that magazine I'd only really heard of the lifestyle vegans (and they were just called vegans). I'm sure some lifestyle vegans wouldn't consider dietary vegans to be true vegans.

Anyway, sorry for getting off the main subject.... :reject:

indra said:

I was reading an Australian magazine called the Vegan Voice (out of Melbourne, I think) and they noted a couple of variations of veganism -- dietary and lifestyle. Lifestyle vegans are as you describe -- they use no animal products at all. Apparently dietary vegans don't eat any animal products, but aren't as picky about the rest of it.

Before reading that magazine I'd only really heard of the lifestyle vegans (and they were just called vegans). I'm sure some lifestyle vegans wouldn't consider dietary vegans to be true vegans.

Anyway, sorry for getting off the main subject.... :reject:

yeah I've heard that before. I've only met a few vegans and all of them cut out animal products from their diet and lifestyle so I forget that some vegans might wear something like leather. Cutting out meat/diary/animal products from your life is so complex! There's countless classifications and can get very confusing. I usually tell people that I don't eat meat, not that I'm a vegetarian. Telling someone I'm a vegetarian instantly turns me into a vegan (which I'm definitely not!) because so many people are misinformed about what vegetarians will eat.

FYI, I voted for Larry last year, and got tons of spam from PETA...it's the only reason my U2.com address has any mail. ;)

If you have an email account you hardly ever use, give them that one or a fake one...not sure if the vote counts if you use a fake one but watch out for spam from Peta.

(ironic no? )

arw9797 said:

yeah I've heard that before. I've only met a few vegans and all of them cut out animal products from their diet and lifestyle so I forget that some vegans might wear something like leather. Cutting out meat/diary/animal products from your life is so complex! There's countless classifications and can get very confusing. I usually tell people that I don't eat meat, not that I'm a vegetarian. Telling someone I'm a vegetarian instantly turns me into a vegan (which I'm definitely not!) because so many people are misinformed about what vegetarians will eat.

I actually think your method might be the best. I think it makes it less confrontational too. All the labels, whether or not self imposed, just divide us. We all are just people who have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food. We all have foods we will eat and foods we won't. :)

:ohmy:
Matt Bellamy is a vegetarian. Well, I'll be damned. It's always those who you least expect!
It won't let me vote in the poll! Whenever I click 'submit' it just takes me to the "Peta Kids" site for some reason. :shrug:

thrillme said:
FYI, I voted for Larry last year, and got tons of spam from PETA...it's the only reason my U2.com address has any mail. ;)

If you have an email account you hardly ever use, give them that one or a fake one...not sure if the vote counts if you use a fake one but watch out for spam from Peta.

(ironic no? )
Spam from PETA....love that one!:lmao:

vimullen said:

:yes:

He is looking fantastic! He's the sexiest vegetarian :drool:

Voted for Larry! :kiss:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

That's probably due to your date of birth. I guess they don't think minors should think people are sexy :shrug:

I'm legal :sexywink:
Actually, it was probably because I had a fake email address and put my year of birth as 3456. I'll have another go.

it wouldnt accept my vote either, keep saying invalid somthing somehting ...
im no vego but i dont like spam ! so i dont mind .

so sorry larry misses my vote due to their crappo website :sad:

arw9797 said:
I have 19 years of experience on this subject so I'll throw in a few comments and also try to clarify a few things about vegetarianism.

I'm hardly skinny. Not all vegetarians are thin. I know a lot of them that have weight problems. I usually eat way too many carbs as part of my meal because an all fruit and veggie diet is not very satisfying. Just because you cut out meat from your diet doesn't mean that you're only going to eat lettuce for 3 meals a day. I've had a lot of people make comments to me that they're suprised to hear that I'm a vegetarian because I'm not stick thin. :shrug: I come from a family of short and round people!

Lots of vegetarians wear leather too. I do on occassion but not a lot. My main reasons for becoming a vegetarian was that I never liked the taste or texture of most meats. It wasn't an animal rights thing. A lot of vegetarians that I know have given up meat for lots of reasons but very few have been for animal rights issues. So seeing Larry in a leather jacket is not odd at all. If he were a vegan then yes. But just vegetarian, then no.

Also, someone made a comment about smoking. I don't understand what that would have anything to do with not eating animal flesh.

As far as the bull's blood goes, I also don't think that has anything to do with being a vegetarian. A lot of people think that vegetarians contradict themselves by not eating meat but wearing leather or eating dairy. There's several different groups you can lump people in that don't eat meat. It depends on what they omit from their diet and lifestyle. Vegans do not put any sort of animal product in or on their body; vegetarians do. We eat dairy and/or egg products, wear leather, etc. The only thing we don't eat is the actual animal flesh (sounds gross but I don't know what else to call it). Some people consider themselves to be vegetarian if they only cut out red meat from their diet but eat the occassion poultry or fish. It depends on the extent of how far you want to go with it. I can't stand the idea of eating any sort of meat but I can't live without cheese.

I hope that helps with any confusion.....

I'm a vegetarian too, and we are as diverse as the human species itself. I wasn't saying he was contradicting himself. I was just curious as to his reasons for being vegetarian. And I'm with you on the not-all-vegetarians-are-thin thing. It's a problem I've been struggling with for years :(

And I always get the whole vegetarian=vegan from other meat eaters too. It is frustrating. Even moreso is when they reply "well at least you're not vegan. those people are just crazy." I'm sorry but I don't know a single vegan who is "crazy." They are very well educated, and passionate to their cause. I wish PETA didn't resort to extreme violence when trying to make a point, because there is a lot about vegetarianism that the rest of the world just doesn't know about.

Apparently Guinness is unsuitable for veggies (something to do with the method of extacting the yeast, I think)...I'm sure Larry'll overlook that one! I can't vote for him though, it says that I 'omitted a required field in group 2' despite having filled everything in. Grr! Well, I've voted for him in spirit at least!

Back
Top Bottom