Vote for Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sue DeNym said:

Beautiful profile shot! And so nice and clear; good job!

I voted for Edge too. He's in fourth place. Not bad.

thank you:wink: I still can't believe I was able to get such a good shot with my digital camera. Not all my pics were like this though..lol ...lots of blurry ones too..

<<<< runs off to vote for edge again!:drool:

Here's the bio on Edge from that website..

The Edge (U2)

Sappy introduction ahead. Have some handkerchiefs ready.

Once upon a time there was a teenager. He really was into keyboards. He liked the way one could shape the sound by pushing a few buttons and twisting a few knobs.

He liked the blinking LED lights, the filter sweeps and the way of impressing everyone when talking about oscillators, aliasing, frequency modulation and the multitude of enigmatic sounding acronyms like ADSR, LFO, PWM, etc...

This youth scoffed at other instruments and thought of them...
well, basically nothing.

recorder....for little kids
violin...a piece of wood for dead classics
guitar...only campfire cowboys play it

Why even continue bothering with those instruments – why not just synthesize them?

Alas, that was the state of affairs....

The eye-opener
Then lightning struck in form of U2's "The Joshua Tree” album.

Great songs, catchy guitar parts and interesting sounds.

The youth was converted – there was more to guitar than the unjustified campfire cowboys cliche.

Thanks to The Edge for sparking the interest and starting that keyboard kid on the way to becoming a guitar fanatic.

End of sappy introduction
O.k, put those handkerchiefs away.

What else besides the nostalgic feelings of gratefulness of yours truly is there to The Edge's playing that warrants close scrutiny and analysis on this site?

Holding the guitar slot in one of the biggest, multi platinum bands on this planet for decades, winning grammys and constantly selling out arenas might be nice.

What really counts...
at least for our purpose of learning by emulating the greats is
the clever use of:

open strings
harmonics
effects, especially delay

as well as...

the efficiency of coming up with perfect parts
killer songwriting

Last edited:
:shh: (we can all vote 2x tomorrow, once from home and once from work/ school right?):shh:

I voted for Edge of course, eternal love for him and all of that, but if I wasn't so biased I would have voted differently :X
But I mean, they're all so good, it's hard to choose!

Back
Top Bottom