Vote Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2luv

The Fly
The POP Celebrity of the Year award recognizes the celebrity that has had the
most impact in the fight against AIDS via cable television.
Vote for Bono cause he has done the most work.
Currently behind Ashanti by 9%
You can vote for Bono once a day at this URL until Feb 25:
http://www.electricartists.com/tvguide.html
Don't let Ashanti win, does she have a nomination for a Noble Peace prize?
VOTE VOTE VOTE

Welll....Bono certainly does deserve the vote tho, for campaiging tirelessly.

Ashanti's involved, but not to that extent. She's done PSAs about AIDS awareness and has performed for World AIDS day benefits and for benefits in her friend Kenny Green's name, who was the lead singer from rnb group Intro who died of AIDS also.

Its kindof a weird poll question, its not 'who's done more work for the AIDS effort, the question is: "In 2002, which POP Celebrity do you think brought the most attention to the AIDS crisis through their appearance on Cable television?"

You could look at that a couple of ways. One source says that the group at highest risk right now is young black females. Certainly without regard for race, young people engaged in promiscious sex are THE highest target group in the realm of people who own television sets with cable access. So in that context Ashanti's efforts probably brought more attention thru her appearance on network television to that audience, as alot of young people would have been paying attention. I would hazard to guess that most young people (not saying that it's right) if flipping thru the channels would stop if they saw Ashanti discussing serious. If they saw Bono they might not stop because thats not their thing. I dunno it could go either way I guess. She is a huge figure in young pop culture tho.

Also, I doubt that if Ashanti even tried would George Bush sit down with her. Im sure noone even thought of inviting her to the conference table. Not that she'd be any good there, but we all know that a hip/pop star can't get the respect that Bono can.

I'd be interested to see the Nielsen ratings compared for her appearance vs Bono's Larry King appearance. It would be a good barometer of the question being posed.

But Bono certainly deserves this more than she in terms of work done.

Having said that tho, I'd jump Ashanti before Bono...;) :uhoh:

:angel:

Last edited:
I like Ashanti well enough, but I honestly had no idea she was doing any sort of AIDS charity work.
In my opinion, even if someone doesn't apreciate Bono's work (and it seems quite a few people don't), he has at least made them aware of the situation.

brdemi said:
I like Ashanti well enough...

Well I hope anyone didnt think I favor Ashanti over Bono...Im not really big on her tunes..kids stuff mostly..

But looking at it from a sheer numbers perspective, Im wondering who actually did reach more viewers...Ashanti or Bono?

In my age bracket, Bono hands down. But its pretty common knowledge that us old fogies dont make up the majority of TV viewers...

I think they both take very different tacks, and each is to be commended for their work..

Put this way: Bono doesnt do alot of PSAs or appear at benefit concerts aimed at kids for awareness of the dangers of getting infected. Instead he campaigns tirelessly, pressures politicians, makes things happen with the people who make policy decisions about treatment and prevention in Africa. For this he is most deservedly one of the best candidates this year (and last for that matter) for the Nobel Peace Prize. If he doesn't get it, THAT will be a huge travesty.

Ashanti, on the other hand, chooses to aim her message at the kids in all countries including her own who make lifestyle decisions on an everyday basis about whether to engage in promiscous sex, use protection, etc. So in that regard she is to be commended, and maybe she is deserving of a practically meaningless TV Guide award...I mean, TV Guide?? Who cares??

What Im trying to say is that Bono's network TV appearances were more about trying to get Americans to write their representatives in support, while Ashanti's was more of a 'play safe or not at all' message...both very important to the ongoing fight against AIDS.

But I still voted Bono...cause Im partial to the dude...;)

Last edited:
I didn't think that at all, gabriel.
It's just that I'm 18 and I had no idea that Ashanti was campaigning against AIDS. I think that age isn't as big an issue here as where your interests lie.
Obviously, as a U2 fan, I'm much more exposed to Bono. Also, I almost never watch MTV. You're right in saying that Ashanti probably reaches a younger audience more effectively, if for no other reason than the fact that they watch more MTV than CNN.

brdemi said:
I didn't think that at all, gabriel.
It's just that I'm 18 and I had no idea that Ashanti was campaigning against AIDS. I think that age isn't as big an issue here as where your interests lie.
Obviously, as a U2 fan, I'm much more exposed to Bono. Also, I almost never watch MTV. You're right in saying that Ashanti probably reaches a younger audience more effectively, if for no other reason than the fact that they watch more MTV than CNN.

:yes: I agree, and the thing is that if I were watching TV and Ashanti came on, I'd probably turn it off before I'd even see what she was going to say.

Well I guess we're all saying the same thing basically, as alot of other youngsters would switch Bono off before even giving him a chance too. So that makes both of their work important.

I will say tho that I think its rather unfortunate that if someone comes on TV that is making an important statement to young people, that we might not listen just because we don't like their songs. Just as it is extremely unfortunate that other youngsters wouldnt even give Bono two seconds of their time.

This much I know, young Bono fans who watch CNN are in the minority in relation to young Ashanti/pop music video watching watching fans. But being in that minority is great, you two!!

I love hearing about younger fans that love U2 as much as me! :)

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine of African heritage, she doesn't listen to rock music or even U2 per se, she's into reggae/hiphop/soul, but she commented to me about watching Bono on CNN, Oprah, and MTV, and commended him for his work. She was duly impressed that Bono cared enough about people in her native continent that he did so much work for them, and wished that more pop stars/hip hop icons would follow suit. Not only that but she expressed an interest in hearing more of U2s music and getting to know them as a band. She felt that anybody who did such good work couldn't be making half bad tunes after all.

And THAT speaks volumes. It really made my day. :up: :yes:

gabrielvox said:
Well I guess we're all saying the same thing basically, as alot of other youngsters would switch Bono off before even giving him a chance too. So that makes both of their work important.

I will say tho that I think its rather unfortunate that if someone comes on TV that is making an important statement to young people, that we might not listen just because we don't like their songs. Just as it is extremely unfortunate that other youngsters wouldnt even give Bono two seconds of their time.

This much I know, young Bono fans who watch CNN are in the minority in relation to young Ashanti/pop music video watching watching fans. But being in that minority is great, you two!!

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine of African heritage, she doesn't listen to rock music or even U2 per se, she's into reggae/hiphop/soul, but she commented to me about watching Bono on CNN, Oprah, and MTV, and commended him for his work. She was duly impressed that Bono cared enough about people in her native continent that he did so much work for them, and wished that more pop stars/hip hop icons would follow suit. Not only that but she expressed an interest in hearing more of U2s music and getting to know them as a band. She felt that anybody who did such good work couldn't be making half bad tunes after all.

Yes! Me too! Thanks for the story. :drool: :drool: :evil: :censored: :heart: :silent:

gabrielvox said:

I can see what you're saying, but for me, the reason I'd turn her off (and not even her personally, but people of her type) doesn't have anything to do with the music. I don't even know any of her songs.

remember this is pleba, not fym ;)

I won't speak directly for Lies, but I'm pretty positive she did not mean to be offensive in any way.
But since she just left and probably won't be back for a few hours, I'll just say that I think she meant "type" more in the sense of the "type" of people generally featured more (more than U2/Bono, that is) on MTV/VH1. I realize that Bono's diary was on MTV etc. etc., but hopefully you understand the "type" I think she means.
:shrug: But what do I know, I just thought I'd let you know that she can't clarify "quickly" cause she's gone. :)

Might be so...although I'd argue that U2 has always been given plenty of MTV rotation..well when I was a TV-music-watching-pup anyways...lol..;)

In any case, that is what I was trying to say initially anyways. Just cause someone produces chinsy pop music doesnt preclude them from having something valuable to say or having a huge impact on the audience that may well matter most, the young people who every day make lifestyle choices that will determine whether they are a target for getting AIDS or not.

I guess thats why stars from all genres are speaking out from their respective media outlets, because they realize how sadly partisan some music fans can be..and it is sad...

That's why it takes Bono to bring them all together as ONE and record Whats Goin On.

Im sorry, I dont want to sound harsh but it didnt bother Bono one little bit what 'type' of people or artist he invited to do that album. It also didn't bother him and the other band members to admit that they were listening to music made by people of 'that type' when they produced their last album, widely regarded as their third masterpiece.

There is a lesson there for us all.

Anyways Im probably way off topic here.

gabrielvox said:

I don't understand this comment. Is this supposed to be offensive?

It sure feels like it.

I think you should quickly quantify or clarify your statement!

:eyebrow:

What I meant when I said "her type" was those girls that wear skanky clothes and like to prance around on TV rubbing themselves and assuming they're some form of musical revelation. It's fine if people like that, I just don't, so I don't usually pay any attention to those people. :shrug: I'm sure they all have important things to say about AIDS and whatever else, and I do think that that's great and all, but they're credibility in other areas turns me off. Besides, not everyone has enough time to consider the music and humanitarian causes of EVERY artist out there. I focus on Bono b/c I like him the most and agree with him completely.

It's great that Ashanti is out there raising awareness. I think that's sort of the point behind this whole thread - each person has their own role models that they follow and agree with. Bono and U2 are mine b/c I loved their music first, then I learned lots of other things b/c they are my role models. But for people that like Ashanti's music, then they will learn about the issues from her instead of Bono and that's fine too. You can't consciously select your role models, they just happen, you know?

gabrielvox said:

You can say that again! ;) :wink:

Thanks for clarifying that LivLuv...whew!

:)

lol Gabriel at you and your high-powered debates wherever you go....

as regards to the Ashanti thing - I can't say I've ever even heard of her. But as far as I'm concerned, it can only be a good thing if she's influencing her fans, whoever they may be, to be involved in such a needy cause. the fact that there are even people out there voting in this poll means that the AIDS cause has reached people. and that can only be a good thing.

Lu
:wave:

gabrielvox said:
Hey Lu...:wave:

Sorry bout that..you know me, I operate on full power no matter the occasion..:wink:

:evil:

:angel:

Hey :wave:

I think you are destined to be a politician. One of those ones who gets in long arguments all the time. :evil:

You make me laugh :laugh:

But it seems to go down better on here than it does on Wire!

good night. It's 10 past one in the morning here and I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow......

Lu
:wave:

Well I think the diff btwn Wire and here mainly is that with Wire there is no way to select what you get, short of deleting most everything.

Here, if you don't like politics, you stay out of FYM. If you don't like discussions of how Bono's hair looked last week, you stay out of PLEBA.

Me, I love everybody.

:D

from gabrielvox:

duly impressed that Bono cared enough about people in her native continent that he did so much work for them, and wished that more pop stars/hip hop icons would follow suit. :scratch:

she may be a great popstar, i don't personally follow her or that genre(rap?) but if the vote is based on how much the person is doing for the good of the world, Ashanti is not as RELEVANT as Bono, come on! Why doesn't Ashanti step up and do something, or one of her "SISTERS" do something, or a BROTHER? Does every POP star have to be involved before the average joe schmoe or candelisa ribeye takes a real "job" in this cause?

So happy Bono, singing his SOUL and writing jaunty punk tunes has raised Ashanti's awareness...doesn't disease and strife inspire terrific music :( cause Bono might just write until the whole "ship" goes down!

:p

DebbieSG said:
from gabrielvox:

duly impressed that Bono cared enough about people in her native continent that he did so much work for them, and wished that more pop stars/hip hop icons would follow suit. :scratch:

she may be a great popstar, i don't personally follow her or that genre(rap?) but if the vote is based on how much the person is doing for the good of the world, Ashanti is not as RELEVANT as Bono, come on! Why doesn't Ashanti step up and do something, or one of her "SISTERS" do something, or a BROTHER? Does every POP star have to be involved before the average joe schmoe or candelisa ribeye takes a real "job" in this cause?

So happy Bono, singing his SOUL and writing jaunty punk tunes has raised Ashanti's awareness...doesn't disease and strife inspire terrific music :( cause Bono might just write until the whole "ship" goes down!

:p

Debbie, Im beginning to worry about you.

The person who was 'duly impressed that Bono cared...etc' was my friend, who is Jamaican-Canadian and isn't really into U2, Bono or rock music. Not Ashanti. However, because my friend had seen him on Oprah, she became more aware of who Bono was and the good he was doing. She may in time become a fan, and expressed an interest in hearing more of his music/message. This is a GOOD thing!

Whether Ashanti the r n b singer has been inspired by Bono's work or not hasn't even entered into this discussion. Have you not seen that? I have no idea whether she has been inspired by him or not, but from reading from her diary and that of Alicia Keys, Deborah Cox, and Chris Tucker who have apparently made pilgrimages to Africa to see the situation much as Bono has, it appears that these are brothers and sisters (you are really pushing it here) who are educating themselves and trying to make a difference. Occasionally I may land on BET and I can tell you that on almost every occasion I have seen some rapper, singer, or other black celebrity talking about the AIDS crisis either in America or in Africa. It is a big concern to that community.

And you could possibly take a look at the poll and try to understand what it IS about. It is not about a competition of who is doing more to save the world.

How you are reading a negative spin out of any of the discussion in this thread is quite beyond me.
:huh: :scratch: :confused:

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Aww! You just made me smile! Thanks for sharing! :D

Back
Top Bottom