VH1 - best albums: JT wtf hanson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

groovcat

The Fly
the kite blowing out of control on a breeze
Watched VH1 top 100 albums and Joshua Tree was in the top 15 and I wanna know how VH1 can talk about the album and its brilliance and have the boys from Hanson (who weren't even born yet) comment on it? :confused: :scratch:

:rant: Edge got a word in but where the hell is Bono - the man you can't stop talking and who actually has meaningful interesting things to say? There must be tons of interview footage from that time period to take a souondbyte from. :rant:

Disappointed, I guess I just don't get this tv thing some times.... :shrug:

groovcat said:
Watched VH1 top 100 albums and Joshua Tree was in the top 15 and I wanna know how VH1 can talk about the album and its brilliance and have the boys from Hanson (who weren't even born yet) comment on it? :confused: :scratch:

Yes, I know it's Hanson, but I don't agree with the "who weren't even born yet" comment. Does that mean that we can't feel, understand, and appreciate music that was created before we were born?

Afterall...Boy and October were released before I was born. :)

groovcat said:

Hanson? I wasn't aware that they are experts on musicology
now? It is a great album though!

Re: Re: VH1 - best albums: JT wtf hanson

Bonochick said:

Yes, I know it's Hanson, but I don't agree with the "who weren't even born yet" comment. Does that mean that we can't feel, understand, and appreciate music that was created before we were born?

Afterall...Boy and October were released before I was born. :)

True - St Peppers was on the list and I wasn't born yet and I know its brilliant - I guess it was thinking more in the context of the VH1 show, they were touting it up to be such and such a groudbreaking time in the late eighties and I think it would have been more appropriate to have a) the band itself comment on it or b) someone who lived during the excitement of that tour and hoopla to reflect on it.

On the otherhand, it's nice to hear the "younger generation" recognize, acknowledge and enjoy the music which hasn't gotten stale with time.:shrug: Excitement from hearing it for the first time is still excitement, no matter how old you are.

I didn't mind Hanson being on there at all, I feel that they have a much more informed opinion about music seeing as how they write and perform all their own stuff. I'd rather have Hanson tell me why they feel something is important than some random Entertainment Tonight correspondent or C-list actor like VH1 usually finds for these list things.

And I agree with Bonochick, just because something happened when you were really little or before you were born, that doesn't mean you can't have an attachment to or appreciation for it.

I just don't understand why they couldn't find someone better than Hanson to comment on The Joshua Tree. It just seems kind of insulting to U2. I know the Hanson boys write their own material, but I still think they suck. And their comments were not enlightening at all as to why the album is great. ANY of the other musicians they had commenting would have done a better job. I'm not a big fan of Alice Cooper or No Doubt, but what they said about various albums was far more intelligent and insightful than anything Hanson had to say, which basically amounted to, "Oh, they had a lot of great albums, but that was the best one ever." Oh, yeah, THAT'S really descriptive.

Actually they WERE born! JT was made in 86-87 and the Hanson brothers were born in 1980, 83 and 85. That still makes them young, but they might have liked it as kids. Even if they discovered it later, it's only a statement about JT's greatness and how it has stood the test of time and will continue to remain a classic for all eternity;)

I commend the Hanson boys for their good quality taste. Unlike the "boy bands" (who as Angela pointed out, are not "bands" at all but singing groups :yes: ) the Hanson brothers Isaac, Taylor and Zac wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. For this reason and that they are much cuter than any of those prefab groups, I was disappointed to see them lumped together and their career falter. It would be cool if one day Hanson could come back and be recognized as musicians. Maybe they will be if they can escape the jokes and 'boy band' label. Being U2 fans shows you something good about them. Did you know they were in the heart in Houston?

How I read the thread title: VH1 - best bums: JT wtf hanson

I prefered the comments made by several artists about U2 and JT on the "I Love the 80's" 1987 episode.

Re: How I read the thread title: VH1 - best bums: JT wtf hanson

flaming june said:
I prefered the comments made by several artists about U2 and JT on the "I Love the 80's" 1987 episode.

That definately did the record more justice and the comments reminded me of the first time I heard Bullet and got that issue of Time in the mail...:sigh:

and
WOW:shocked:

I had no idea there were such Hanson fans. I guess "mmm bop" didn't reflect their real talent. Sorry that I offended so many people even tho everyone is entitled to their own opinion and somehow I missed the Hanson craze.

lol stop complaining about hanson ;)

better them than spice girls or s club 7 or some other tacky manufactured pop huh ? ;)

tho they could have found better artists than hanson to talk in the first place....

is this a new round of this show or an american version ?

cos there was vh1 's top 100 albums in the UK back along and JT was number 1 and it had a few bands talking about them, they had the corrs talking i know that for sure ;)

This was the American version, which they showed for the first time a couple of years ago.

Yes, the comments about The Joshua Tree by musicians on the "I Love the 80s" thing were surprisingly good. I thought the show in general focused on the shallow, faddish side of the '80s, and most of the commentary sounded juvenile, but the segment on The Joshua Tree was excellent.

~fairy_girl~ said:
lol stop complaining about hanson ;)

better them than spice girls or s club 7 or some other tacky manufactured pop huh ? ;)

Yeah. :yes: I didn't mind Spice Girls that much but all the rest of the manufactured pop sucks. I kind of feel sorry for Hanson because I think they got ruined by being labled the same as BBS and N'Sync and getting joked on. I used to have poster of Taylor. He is a cutey, no matter what, even if he couldn't sing or play and was just the grass mowing boy down the street.

Re: How I read the thread title: VH1 - best bums: JT wtf hanson

flaming june said:

"If you're in a band with a couple of guys named Bono and The Edge, and your name is Larry, wouldn't you be like 'Guys? Can I get a nickname too? Can I not just be...Larry?'"

Back
Top Bottom