Up Close & Personal - Chapter 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
It's been a while, but I'm back! I've had a really rubbish hectic few weeks at uni but finally I have a couple of weeks for a holiday! I'm off to Dublin next week, can't wait! But before then I can give you plenty of fic! I hope you like it! As usual, it's not true!

Chapter 13

It seems that getting Larry on his own is much harder than you might think! Well, okay, he is famous and busy and everything but that’s not even the problem. No, the problem is the other three!

Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re all lovely and funny and we get on very well. But sometimes a girl just needs time alone with her hot Irish boyfriend. I assume he’s my boyfriend now – when do you start calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend? Admittedly I think I started calling Larry my boyfriend about two years ago but that doesn’t count.

Larry and I have met four more times since that day at the studio. Usually we go for coffee because it’s convenient and good for chats, and once we ventured back to that pub he took me to after he rescued me from the mugger. But, well, without sounding ungrateful, on all occasions except one we were joined at some stage by either Bono, Edge or Adam. Bono, usually. And he was usually flirting with me and pissing Larry off and generally making a nuisance of himself. Or that’s what Larry says. I can’t deny I quite like when Bono flirts with me. I’d be a strange sort of woman if I didn’t! Imagine: ‘Oh no Bono, please don’t flirt with me, I hate it.’ Um, no.

Anyway. The upshot is, I’m meeting Larry at the studio tonight without anyone else there. I don’t know why he wants me back at the studio, especially in the evening, but I’m assuming he’s taking me somewhere else once he’s finished there. And if it’s Bono-free, then it’s distraction-free and we will both be more than happy.

Before that, however, there’s the small matter of my parents, who apparently aren’t coming home for another week. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. How convenient. But according to my lovely father, they’ve met up with some boring friends of theirs from years ago and don’t fancy coming back yet, which is fair enough. It also prolongs the agony of explaining to them about my new boyfriend, because I’m not sure how pleased they’ll be. I’m old enough to make my own decisions, but that doesn’t stop them giving opinions if they want to and often making me feel guilty. And I mean my dad’s liked U2 for years, he might find it weird I’m going out with the drummer. I dunno. Dads don’t like their daughters’ boyfriends, do they? What if he hates Larry? It might happen…

The phone rings, making me jump out of my thought train. Unfortunately, it’s neither Larry nor Adele. It’s the people from the bookshop, telling me they’re sorry but I haven’t got the job. I was very close, they say, as if that makes me feel any better. Oh yeah, I almost started getting a regular wage, that’s great.

So I’m feeling a little dejected as I head off to meet Larry, wearing nothing fancier than a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Granted, the t-shirt is pink, but that’s hardly exciting, is it? I don’t know what he sees in me, really I don’t.

See? This job thing has made me all self-doubting! Not a good thing! I resolve to put on my cheerful face as I walk up to the studios, glad to see no sign of Caroline tonight. I’m buzzed straight in by Larry, who meets me in reception, looking absolutely gorgeous in a blue shirt and jeans.

“Hi,” he smiles, wrapping his arms around me and giving me a lovely soft kiss. “How are you?”

“Okay,” I lie, letting him hug me tightly. I close my eyes and rest my chin on his shoulder. I’ve grown to feel safe with Larry, knowing he wants to look after me. Two weeks together and I’m smitten with him. I know it’s cheesy and you probably want to throw up now but hey, I can’t help it! I have such a weird feeling whenever I’m with him that it’s meant to be… Does that make sense? I don’t know if you can even tell after such a short time. Actually, right now I don’t know anything except wow, Larry is a damn good kisser!

“C’mon,” he says once we’ve parted, taking my hand and leading me down a different corridor. “Have you had a good day?”

“Yeah,” I lie again, but I’m obviously not very good at it because Larry frowns at me.

“Are you sure?”

I shrug. “Yeah, just… I didn’t get the job at the bookshop. Got a phone call today.”

Larry’s dropped my hand and has his arm around me. “I’m sorry, love,” he says, his voice low in my ear. God, he’s sexy. And he called me ‘love’! “They’re stupid if they don’t want you. I do want you.”

I shiver. “You’re not stupid,” I smile, and he kisses my cheek, leading me into the nicest surprise ever. It’s a big room which is probably used for something dull normally but today, it’s got a table in the middle laid with cutlery, plates, wine glasses… It looks like Larry’s gone to a lot of trouble and I thank him with a kiss.

“Take a seat,” he says, pulling out a chair for me. “I’ll be right back, okay?”

And he is right back with our food, which is a Chinese takeaway! Brilliant! Just what I needed to cheer myself up! Larry helps, of course. He sits opposite me and we start talking and laughing as we usually do, because being with Larry is so easy and laidback and fun. He comes across in public as moody and grumpy, but really he’s nothing like that.

We have wine, and we’re still finishing the bottle by the time the food has gone. I sigh as I take another sip.

“Maybe I’m destined to be unemployed forever. I’m dreading my mum finding out, she’ll be so disappointed.”

Larry gets up and beckons me to follow him to the sofa in the corner, which is much comfier than the chair I was sitting in. He sits next to me and places his hand on my thigh.

“I’m sure your mam will understand if you explain to her,” he says quietly. “And you’ll get a job soon, I know you will. If not, you can come and work for me.”

I laugh. “What, and be bothered by Bono all day?”

“Or be bothered by me.” Larry leans in and kisses me, and all my worries about work seem to disappear. Our kiss goes on and on, seems to last a long time and yet not long enough, so I move closer to him and hook one leg over his, coaxing him to move more on top of me. It’s just natural to want Larry there, I find, and I let his hands wander. One threads in my hair, the other skims up my t-shirt, and I’m getting breathless now, my head is spinning. Larry tugs on my hair gently and I feel a million tingles skip their way down my spine, landing at the small of my back, where Larry’s other hand joins them, stroking as he continues to kiss me, our lips and tongues meeting. My legs fall apart naturally so Larry is cradled between them and everything starts getting very hot and I start getting very dizzy…

“Stop.”

I open my eyes and stare at Larry, who looks as flushed as I feel. He doesn’t move his hands, and I don’t really want him to move off me, but I’m not planning to go any further on a sofa in U2’s recording studio.

“Sorry,” I say quickly, trailing my fingers from the nape of his neck, where they’d been resting, up to his jaw. “I’m just, it’s a bit fast.”

Larry seems to come to his senses and nods, shifting his weight and sitting up, removing his hand from my hair and using it to help me up, too. “Yeah, of course. I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking.”

I can’t help smiling. “I don’t think either of us was. You know I do want to, right? Just not here, now. We’ve not known each other too long and well, I can’t relax around here. I keep thinking someone will walk in.”

Larry drapes an arm around my shoulders and pulls me close, kissing my nose. “I understand, Rach. It’s not a problem. We have plenty of time.”

For a few minutes we just sit there. I listen to Larry’s breathing return to normal while he traces patterns on my arm. Then I wonder something.

“Why did you want me to come here? Wouldn’t it have been easier at your place?”

“Oh.” Larry shrugs against me. “Well, I suppose, but it needs redecorating and I was here all day anyway. Thought it was different, that’s all. Didn’t you like it?”

“Of course,” I reply, turning my head to kiss his cheek. “It was lovely. I was only thinking about next time, for privacy, y’know.”

“It’s private here. No one’s about. I made sure of it.” Larry sighs. “But if you’d rather go somewhere else next time, that’s fine.”

I can almost hear him pouting and to allay any offence I might have inadvertently caused, I straddle his lap and kiss him thoroughly, making him moan in surprise. That really spurs me on, makes me feel in control, and when we next part for air, I have his face in my hands, looking into his blue eyes full of desire (for me!).

“I know wherever we went, we’d have fun,” I say, my lips close to his. “But if you want to get closer than this, we’ll need a bed.” I smirk at him and let him kiss me as I momentarily marvel at this odd new confidence I’ve developed from somewhere. I guess there’s something powerful about having such a gorgeous man beneath me, wanting me, and that’s certainly not a bad thing!

He pulls his mouth away from mine and begins to kiss my neck, then back up to my ear, where he pauses to whisper, “Okay, Rach, if it’s a bed you want, come to mine on Friday. I’ll make sure you have a great sleep…”

Oh my.

TBC!

Hooray! You're back!! I've missed this. Thanks for updating. :applaud:

:combust: My god, Larry is just :drool: :combust: :faint:

Okay, going to regain my sanity now. :lol:

Can't wait for your next chapter! :D

Thanks everyone! I don't think there will be many more chapters of this though! I'm going to start a new one soon! :D

Back
Top Bottom