Unexpected, but oh so cool (updated to add PICTURES!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unexpected, but oh so cool

bonoandicropped.jpg

Bono and I, as you can tell.

bonomeclarencebagnew.jpg

Bono, Christophe (the only other guy there besides my dad, brother, and Bono), and myself. You can catch a glimpse of my signed Clarence bag, too.

bonotalkingonphonenew.jpg

There he is, talking on my dad's cell. And a nice shot of the back of my head (unintended for the shot. But when you get around Bono, one does mysterious things).

bonotalkingonphone2new.jpg

"Can you hear me now?" He's talking to my mom on the phone. And no, he really didn't say, "Can you hear me now?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a day June 11th was. I can?t even begin to describe the excitement and surprise that accompanied it. I was on a bus tour of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. I knew we were going to have a free day in Dublin so before I left home I made sure I had everything in my possession to point me in the right direction of Hanover Quay. I also acquired some maps of Dublin before making this journey and said a lot of prayers.

We started out the morning with a city tour of Dublin. That was interesting and it gave me a brief taste of the treasures Dublin has to offer and a good idea of where The Clarence was. I thought the tour guide might have an idea of U2 whereabouts, but alas. The tour finished outside of Trinity College. From there, my dad, brother, and I walked to The Clarence and checked out the lobby. There wasn?t much to it, but nonetheless, a U2 site. My dad bought my mom, who was back home in Indiana, and myself a t-shirt and we were off to Hanover Quay. I had my doubts of going all the way to Hanover and not seeing anyone, even though they all had to have been in town for the Special Olympics. To me, it wasn?t worth a day of misery for my dad and brother as they aren?t die-hard U2 fans like myself. And the possibility of getting lost was also a problem and the fact that the quays are being rebuilt. But, my dad insisted. He said that we might as well go forth with it. I figured the best that I could do was to see Adam, who seems to have the best connection with fans and was my former favorite member of the group.

After going through the ghetto of Dublin, we arrive to the nightmare of big machines and heavy construction. I see nothing but a construction site. I tell my dad several times throughout the trip that this isn?t such a good idea and we?re not going to see anyone, anyway. He told me to shut up and keep walking. For a brief time I thought that the studio was already gone because from the start of Hanover Quay, there is nothing. We proceed on along the river and might a right turn on some industrial street. We asked this guy for the U2 studio and he points us in the direction that looked nothing like the studio I had seen in previous pictures. An Asian woman answers the door and tells us it is not the U2 studio. We go back to the other street, wandering aimlessly. The guy on the forklift that told us the wrong place called someone to see where the studio was at, but he didn?t get much help. An older man came along and heard our conversation and told us to follow him. We turn the corner and I see paradise. There are U2 scrawlings in the construction dust on the door and a bench with messages in permanent marker and a guy sitting on the bench.

We walk over to the studio and I dare my dad to knock on the door, figuring no one would answer. The street was dead and the only noise was coming from the cement factory across the street. Someone does come to the door and it?s Sam O?Sullivan, the studio manager. He was kind of surly, but he did tell us U2 were due in that day. We went back to the bench area and it turned out that the guy, Christophe, on the bench was also waiting for U2. He was an Irish pub owner from Belgium and frequented Dublin a lot. He had met Bono and Adam five times each, Edge twice, and Larry once, and mentioned that Adam and Bono were probably the nicest. He was a regular for doing this sort of thing and gave me all sorts of tips about who drives which car, what is the best time to meet them, what happens when with the garage door, etc. He also traveled basically all over the world to see U2 in concert, going from South Africa to the historic Boston concert. He was very sweet and had it not been for him, we wouldn?t have stuck around. Although the wait was rather long for the smallest bit of action, we couldn?t have asked for a better day. It was a little cool, but the sun was out and it warmed things up.

It was about an hour and fifteen minutes before someone showed up in his black Audi (Christophe and I concluded with reasonable deduction that it was, in fact, Larry). Of course he didn?t come out. Then, twenty minutes after Larry, and black Mercedes pulls up. Christophe said, ?That?s Bono.? I knew it was his car because I read on U2Land a while ago that he had bought one. I start pointing and hopping up and down like a teenybopper at a Ricky Martin concert. My dad yelled at me, ?Lauren! Don?t point!? I turn my head around and look at his car again and he?s pointing back at me through the front windshield. Right away, I scream and start shaking. And he just pointed back at me! I call my mom on a cell phone and tell her the news.

Approximately twenty-five minutes after Bono pulls into the studio garage, the side door opens and out steps Bono. He was wearing black pants with brown stripes in them, his regular Bvlgari shades, his army hat, and a black button down shirt with a black sweater over it. I?m staring like it was Jesus that walked out of the doors. He flags us on from across the street. Inside my head, I kept telling myself, ?This is not real. You?re dreaming.? I gathered my things together and headed across the street. To break the ice, my brother said in a very neighborly way, ?Hello, Bono!? Bono smiles and says, ?Hey. Where are you all from?? My brother replied, ?Chicago.? This time, Bono said, ?Chicago?.That?s where we want to be.? He stuck up his hand and told my brother to put it there and he high-fived him and gave him a hug.

Then, Bono looked towards my direction. We didn?t say a word to each other, but my brother told him while he was walking towards me that my room was decorated with all U2 pictures, and Bono said, ?That?s the way it should be!? It was sad because I rehearsed inside my head what I would say if I did meet Bono, but I was unable to say a word. Bono walked towards me and took my hand. I thought he would just kiss it like he always does his women fans, but he pulled me in closer putting my arm around his shoulder and he kissed me and gave me the biggest, warmest hug ever. It was the most amazing moment of my life. I felt so bad because I was shaking so hard. I could hear him breathing and he smelled like heaven. I?m almost sure it?s Bvlgari, as I have taken the time to go through and smell their men?s collection. My dad told me to turn around so he could take a picture of Bono and I together. He had his arms around me and we snapped a shot together. As he was in front of me, I could see his was in dire need of a shave, but hey. He was in front me. My dad introduced himself as my dad and Bono laughed, being that he is a dad himself. Bono told us that there were all sorts of projects going on, but was not specific about what they were.

I reminded myself that I had my All That You Can?t Leave Behind CD in my purse. I dug that out and was struggling with getting it out because I was juggling my purse and my Clarence bag. Bono saw me struggling and helped me get it out. I handed him my Sharpie and he scratched out ?U2 All That.? Then, he asked me what my name was. I replied, ?Lauren,? and he wrote above the scratch my name and signed it, along with a hand-drawn flower. So now my jacket cover reads, ?Lauren You Can?t Leave Behind Bono.? My dad asks, ?Hey Bono, will you talk to my wife?? Bono looks around to see if there?s another woman he asks, ?Where is she?? My dad replied, ?She?s home in Indiana.? And Bono says, ?Yeah! Put her on the phone!? Bono moves over to Christophe and signs his stash of newspapers and also signs his cell phone again. One of two questions I ask Bono was, ?Is Adam coming in today?? And he seemed rather rushed or upset about me bringing up Adam, and he said, ?Yeah, he should be.? My dad gets a hold of my mom and Bono picks up the phone, ?Hello, honey. I told you not to call me at the office.? I was laughing so hard! Then, he totally messed with her and said it was raining. He asked her why she wasn?t there and I?m not entirely sure what her reply was. He got of the phone with my mom and was just standing there. Christophe asks if I would take his and Bono?s picture together and I did. I handed my CD over to my dad so that the marker wouldn?t smear. I snap the shot and Bono comes back over to me again. He crouches down next to my side and takes my Clarence bag. He draws his self-portrait on it and signs and dates it. I was in amazement! I didn?t even ask him to do that! Then, he walks over to my dad and he draws his self-portrait on the inside of the jewel case of my CD and signs that, too! At this point, I was ready to bust. This was awesome!

Unfortunately, the dust from the cement factory was starting to blow and it was affecting Bono because he let out an ?Oh wow,? and squinted his eyes. My second question to him was ?Are you okay?? He never said though. He said he had to get back in, which I understood because he mentioned in an article that he was far behind in the things to get done for the album. I thanked Bono and we left the studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! How great is that! Bet you had to keep pinching yourself to make sure you were'nt dreaming. Bono is a such a sweetie pie.

Awwww that is a great story MrsAdamClayton!
Bono is the sweetest guy in the world and it shows through on every fan story I have ever seen :)
Congrats, thats awesome and I know you must be very happy!
And ps, dont feel bad about not being able to say much to Bono, I also had rehearsed what I wanted to say to him, but when my chance came, I couldn't get much out either! lol!

Thanks everyone! Awesome pictures, btw, U2SJ. I've seen your one Adam shot on a few websites, and I must say he looked very nice! Great shots!

Good news- I got my pictures back this morning. They're fantabulous! Especially the one of Bono and I. He looks so cute, but I look like a complete dork. Don't mind me. Bono is worth the picture.

I'll put them up one day when I get them on a disc.

Thanks MrsAdamClayton, I'm glad you like my pics!
I'm sure your pic with Bono turned out great, we would love to see it!

That is so cool that it was just you guys! That is my hope and dream for meeting him, but I'm afraid the closest I'll probably get is with a huge crowd :mad:

Thanks so much for describing your experience so eloquently :)

Thank you mrs. C...awesome how Bono just makes everyone's dream meeting him..so individual..huh? Like YOUR special meeting with him to cherish! He is such a wonderful giver..thank you for sharing your story! Please,..hurry with the pICS!!! I can't wait to see how they turned out! Made me laff what he said to your Mom! lol! how cute!

Probs

Here is my deal. I have the pictures all loaded and everything, but I can't get a hold of the moderator so I could edit my post and slide them in. I do have them though. And I would really hate to put them somewhere here in the after-thoughts, you know? So, SALOME, BONOCHIC....... read this!!!!!

Hi!!! :wave:

Why don't you just reply to your post and add the pictures? If you'd like, I can take them from that post and move them to the first post then. :)

I will edit the thread title too to show that the thread has the pics now. :)

Last edited:
*THUD*i just fell off my chair*ouch*
how cool is Bono!? *jealousy creeps in*
Especially the first picture:ohmy:
I WANNA HUG BONO TOOOOOOOOOO!:scream:
someday I will.......in the meantime, GREAT pix!:up:
you lucky, lucky girl:tongue:

Back
Top Bottom