U2's Bono tries to spin a 'Spider-Man' musical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msdw59

Acrobat
As seen in the Star-Gazette

http://www.stargazettenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/LIFE/710010318

Gannett News Service

He has a cameo in Julie Taymor's Beatles musical "Across the Universe". And now U2 frontman Bono is spinning away at a bigger project with theater vet Taymor: a musical version of "Spider-Man."

"If we pull off what we're trying, it will be something the likes of which no one has seen or heard," he says. "It should be a hallucinogenic experience for theatergoers. You have the visual energy she brings. The myth of the arachnid and the elasticity and plasticity of these characters -- you can turn theater upside down."

He's working on the music with U2 bandmate The Edge. The goal, says Bono, is to make it "very emotive. We've got some punk rock in there and some beautiful opera."

Working with Taymor is still a thrill, says the singer and activist. He calls the director, who helmed the film "Frida" and "The Lion King" musical on Broadway, "truly a cinematic and theatrical treasure. She has her own visual language."

Bono, who concedes that his first takes for "Universe" were "well below average," doesn't have any major acting aspirations. "It's such an obvious pratfall, the rock star who wants to act, but I've tried every other cliche. There are some characters I feel I can inhabit. It would take something extraordinary. I wouldn't do it just to do it."

Last edited:
:ohmy:

Bono sure knows how to hype things up.

Punk rock and opera? Let's just wait and see/hear.

msdw59, thanks for all the news.

Hey SUPERSTAR!!!! JC you are making this Bono meeting thing a habit..... and I am a bit jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats again, you ROCK!!!
(ps- were you able to function for the next couple of days!?):hi5: :wave:

I knew this a few months ago, before it came out.

Yes U2 is doing music for Spiderman on broadway, but they just did the reading for it so it won't be out for a while.

Oh and since they just did music for it, no one will see some new U2 material for while:(

Saw this tidbit in a NY Times article today on actor Jim Sturgess:

..He recently participated in a staged reading of the musical “Spider-Man,” directed by Julie Taymor, who was also at the helm of “Across the Universe.” Bono, who wrote the music and the lyrics for the show with the Edge, sang backup one day. “He was singing the oohs and the aahs,” Sturgess said, “and I tried my hardest not to think much about that. I just do what I’m told and try not to lose my balance.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/style/tmagazine/21sturgess.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Nice appetizer chazman151,
thanks, hope we will hear more in the coming weeks, months.

Is ther a projected opening date? or is it still in its infancy?

blm said:
Nice appetizer chazman151,
thanks, hope we will hear more in the coming weeks, months.

Is ther a projected opening date? or is it still in its infancy?

They are in the process of trying to figure out where the show will be held. They need a big Broadway house.

Dana

I'd really prefer to see Bono and Edge in studio, with the rest of the band, making new album...Ok, Spiderman can be great, sure...But I don't care that much...I hungry for U2-music!

Mirjam said:
I'd really prefer to see Bono and Edge in studio, with the rest of the band, making new album...Ok, Spiderman can be great, sure...But I don't care that much...I hungry for U2-music!

When I said they I didn't mean Bono and Edge. Julie Taymor is the director. Bono and Edge did the music but they are already done with that. They will probably not have to do anything else until the play is cast and then maybe just some consulting on the music.

Dana

blm said:
thank you Dana, how do you know this?

Well I google Bono and U2 everyday and read the news reports that come up. There are always little tidbits of info in various places. Most of the Spidey info is from Julie Taymor interviews for ATU as they usually ask at least one question about the musical somewhere in the interviews.

Dana

msdw59 said:
As seen in the Star-Gazette

http://www.stargazettenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/LIFE/710010318

Gannett News Service

Bono, who concedes that his first takes for "Universe" were "well below average," doesn't have any major acting aspirations. "It's such an obvious pratfall, the rock star who wants to act, but I've tried every other cliche. There are some characters I feel I can inhabit. It would take something extraordinary. I wouldn't do it just to do it."

...He could inhabit my characters any day...:evil: :lol:

*Need to breathe*

thank you chazman151 and greety for the update.

This is very exciting. but 2010 ????
NO, NO - Can't wait that long.

Back
Top Bottom