U2 sell their Basquiat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
This was removed from the studios when Anji & i were at HQ in April :ohmy:

_44793758_e7d84398-4ed9-456c-96d3-0.jpg

Basquiat artwork fetches over £5m

A piece of art owned by rock band U2 has sold for more than £5m at an auction held in London.

The painting - Untitled (Pecho/Oreja) by late US artist Jean-Michel Basquiat - was bought by U2 in New York in 1989 and hung in their Dublin studios.

The painting, which was first spotted by bassist Adam Clayton, was auctioned at Sotheby's.

Basquiat, originally a graffiti artist in New York, died from a suspected drug overdose in 1988.

A spokesman for Sotheby's said the artwork sold for £5,081,250 to a European private buyer. The current auction record for a Basquiat work stands at $14.6m (£7.4m).

Oliver Barker, of Sotheby's, said: "It seems especially appropriate that a work by Basquiat should end up at a music studio, since so much has been said about the relationship between his art and music."

In 1996, director Julian Schnabel directed the film Basquiat, based on the artist's life and starring Gary Oldman and David Bowie.

Basquiat's paintings continue to influence young artists

Here's the link below

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Basquiat artwork fetches over £5m

Thanks for the infro Wild. :wave: I wonder why the decided to sell it off? :ohmy: It's not like they need to money or anything?! :shrug: Maybe it won't fit on the walls at their new 'U2 tower' studios and none of the guys wanted to have it in their homes?!? :hmm:

I am actually kinda surprised they sold it, altho with moving and all maybe they want some new art and this way it will be easier for them to lay down the funds for it?

I wonder how much they paid in 1989? Maybe Adam's going to be an art dealer if this rock star thing falls apart some day... :wink:

Thanks for the infro Wild. :wave: I wonder why the decided to sell it off? :ohmy: It's not like they need to money or anything?! :shrug: Maybe it won't fit on the walls at their new 'U2 tower' studios and none of the guys wanted to have it in their homes?!? :hmm:

With the economy the way it is, maybe they decided to sell it while the art market is still hot. Also, you can tire of looking at things, and it might have gotten a little old.

Back
Top Bottom