U2 on VH1 True Spin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
This was a great 4 or 5 minutes of the band talking about the true meaning behind ONE!. Great pic's and short interviews with Bono who was beautiful :sexywink: of course and Larry looked scrumptous and actually smiled while he was talking. Awesome shots of Edge (God he looked good and Adam has blond hair in his shots :heart: Music was great, for such a short piece. Can't wait to see it again. It's on tomorrow at 2 eastern and tomorrow night a 10:30 (et). Right after the Donna Summer piece. God they looked and sounded so good.:drool: :combust: VH1 got it right just wish it would have lasted longer.:cool: (It'll be on the 26th also 11:30am (et)

Last edited:
Eye candy aside, I thought it sucked. Their interpretations of One were based on old interviews and people who weren't even around the band when the song was written.

Queen Bee said:

I finally know how to pronounce 'Guggi' correctly. :shifty:

Oh no how do you say it have I been saying it wrong? :reject:

I really wish VH1 would do Ultimate Albums either JT or AB or even ATYCLB because I think it would be cool and I have seen the eminem/rhcp/metallica ones like 500 times.

Also ESP MTV for MTV Icon U2 in 2004.

TiaraGurl said:

Oh no how do you say it have I been saying it wrong? :reject:

I really wish VH1 would do Ultimate Albums either JT or AB or even ATYCLB because I think it would be cool and I have seen the eminem/rhcp/metallica ones like 500 times.

Apparently it's like "glug-ee" without the L. :reject:

I think I've seen the Ultimate Albums for "The Joshua Tree" on VH1 before. Am I wrong?

There's a Classic Albums about JT, not Ultimate Albums. :tsk:

They used the interviews of the band from the Legends special, but they showed a little bit of Larry talking that's not on the original show.

Keocmb said:

Apparently it's like "glug-ee" without the L. :reject:

Oh I feel beyond dumb but how was I supposed to know? :shrug: No wait that is how I was pronopuncing it like Gucci but with a G?

Interference all about educations ince 1996.;)

Wait footage of Larry? Hmmmmm

Last edited:
im sorry but it seems to me that vh1 is starting to become more like mtv. they never used to play rap, hip hop, or any britney, justin, christina, and all that crap, but now it seems as if they are starting to lean torwards playing those alot. the only thing that seems good on vh1 now is i love the 80s and 70s..

I liked it. My mom was asking me which one was the true story-I told her I'd heard both the one about AIDS and the one about tensions in the band. I'd always thought the AIDS one was the most likely, because that's the story I'd heard the most. But I can see where the theory of it being about tensions within the band came from.

The theory of it being about Guggi surprised me-I'd never heard that one before.

But I've personally always seen "One" as being about Edge's divorce. Everyone has their own interpretations.

The other ones were rather interesting-I had no idea that "She Works Hard For The Money" was about a ladies' room attendant, for instance. And the "I'm Too Sexy" theories were amusing.

TiaraGurl said:

Also ESP MTV for MTV Icon U2 in 2004.

Amen! Considering how pro-U2 VH1 seems to be, I'm really surprised they haven't done an "Ultimate Albums" show on either of those albums.

As for MTV...that'd be awesome, yes-but it'd be a pretty big surprise if they did manage to do something on U2. Heck, it'd be a surprise if they did something involving music altogether.

And don't worry about mispronouncing Guggi's name-I'd been saying it wrong for a long time now, too.

Angela

I think One can be a combination of all or any of the myths they listed. From what the band says about Achtung Baby, I was under the impression that the song wasn't really ABOUT anything, they were just playing on day, getting more and more frusterated, and all the sudden Edge had a good sound and Bono started singing. It's not like Bono sat down, wrote lyrics ABOUT something and then had Edge come up with a good riff.

I think they write most of their songs by just simply messing around, at least, that's the impression I get based on the AB stolen tapes and videos of them in the studio.

So I'm kinda pissed that VH1 just picked the answer they liked best without asking the band.

I would say One is a RESULT of the tensions and frusterations between the band members, but not really ABOUT that.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I would say One is a RESULT of the tensions and frusterations between the band members, but not really ABOUT that.

I agree. It's really hard to say what any U2 song is about because the meanings change all the time. It's like Bono talking about "In a Little While," saying that when he wrote it it was a song about a hangover but then Joey Ramone saw it as something much deeper than that, completely altering Bono's view of his own song. Definitely there are songs in the universe that are for sure about one thing (like Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" or The Beatles' "Dear Prudence") but in my opinion no U2 songs fall into that category. Well, maybe "Van Diemen's Land" but even that song probably has dozens of layers of possible meaning.

I think One can be a combination of all or any of the myths they listed. From what the band says about Achtung Baby, I was under the impression that the song wasn't really ABOUT anything, they were just playing on day, getting more and more frusterated, and all the sudden Edge had a good sound and Bono started singing. It's not like Bono sat down, wrote lyrics ABOUT something and then had Edge come up with a good riff.

I think they write most of their songs by just simply messing around, at least, that's the impression I get based on the AB stolen tapes and videos of them in the studio.

So I'm kinda pissed that VH1 just picked the answer they liked best without asking the band.

I agree with everything Lies says in this thread :yes:

Exactly Lies and Dev :up:

Another thing, it was kind of funny that One shared a show with such masterpieces as I'm Too Sexy and Walk Like an Egyptian... :eeklaugh:

so..VH1 said the song was about what exactly?
i remember Bono saying in an interview in 1992 he was thinking of Edge's divorce at the time..

DB9

Last edited:
RickFly said:
im sorry but it seems to me that vh1 is starting to become more like mtv. they never used to play rap, hip hop, or any britney, justin, christina, and all that crap, but now it seems as if they are starting to lean torwards playing those alot. the only thing that seems good on vh1 now is i love the 80s and 70s..

Do you get VH1classic? They show some good stuff :)

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

Do you get VH1classic? They show some good stuff :)

VH1 Classic kicks ass! They play all the classic videos from the glory days of MTV, plus some really obscure ones - and they show tons of U2 videos, even the ones for A Sort of Homecoming, A Celebration and One Tree Hill.

As for the True Spin episode, I thought it was interesting. I had no idea there was a theory floating around that One was about Guggi's divorce. I always thought it was partially about Edge's divorce, and maybe a little bit about the tensions in the band. It does seem you really can't pin any U2 songs down as being about one thing specifically. Maybe VH1 should have had an "all of the above" option. At any rate, it's nice to see VH1 doing a show that actually has something to do with music rather than the celebrity gossip manure they've been shoveling over past year or so.

:wave: I love VH1 Classic, too! It's nice to be able to see a bunch of U2 videos and put them on a tape so that I don't have to take up space on the computer through downloading their videos.

And that channel's where I got to see videos like "Two Hearts Beat As One" and "A Celebration" for the first time ever (I absolutely adore Bono in the "Two Hearts..." video in particular, he looks really cute in it).

Plus, I've gotten to see a lot of other neat videos that I'd remember seeing on MTV as a kid.

I also like their "Tuesday Twoplay" thing. Two U2 videos? Heck yeah!

dsmith2904 said:
I agree. It's really hard to say what any U2 song is about because the meanings change all the time. It's like Bono talking about "In a Little While," saying that when he wrote it it was a song about a hangover but then Joey Ramone saw it as something much deeper than that, completely altering Bono's view of his own song. Definitely there are songs in the universe that are for sure about one thing (like Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" or The Beatles' "Dear Prudence") but in my opinion no U2 songs fall into that category. Well, maybe "Van Diemen's Land" but even that song probably has dozens of layers of possible meaning.

Yep. Exactly right.

Heck, your point can be proven by going to the "It's A Musical Journey" area of the boards-it's amazing what kinds of interpretations people can come up with for U2's songs. Some of the ones that people put I'd never in a million years have thought of, and then when I hear them, they make total sense. And I like that. I like hearing everyone's opinions of what the band's songs are about.

Like "In A Little While", for instance-I've never seen it as a song about a hangover or whatnot, I've just seen it as a sweet love song.

LivLuv made some great points, too. :yes: :up:.

Angela

Bono's shades said:

As for the True Spin episode, I thought it was interesting. I had no idea there was a theory floating around that One was about Guggi's divorce.

Yeah, ditto. I joked to Ellen that they probably made that one up in order to have 2 false and 1 "true" theory.

Yeah, ditto. I joked to Ellen that they probably made that one up in order to have 2 false and 1 "true" theory.

That could be a possibility, though. I think it was in the interview that Edge did with Hot Press last year there was mention of Guggi and Edge both going through break-ups around the same time and the impact that had on what U2 was creating for Achtung Baby.

Here it is...

Q: The band?s internal relationships weren?t the only ones under strain. You were in the process of getting divorced and Guggi?s long-term relationship had also just ended. How did you feel about Bono lyrically expressing what he imagined to be going on in your head?

A: Well . . .(pauses). I suppose there?s a certain kind of bleeding of ideas and, em . . . (long pause). I suppose there?s an emotional connection between the members of the band. So it felt like, although I recognised something that I was going through in a song, it just felt like he was writing in a general sense about what was happening amongst our group of friends.

Q: You were all turning thirty around then, weren?t you?

A: Yeah. There was a lot of stuff going on (smiles wryly). Some not-so-great stuff, and a lot of great stuff. I suppose Bono was just picking up what was in the air and it came through in the lyrics. But, in a lot of cases, the music is the thing that inspires the lyric and the themes.

Last edited:
The problem with finding meanings in Bono's lyrics is that on the whole they can be about anybody or nobody. Could be about
many things.
It could also be about Edge's & Guggi's divorces. There's a lot of bitterness going on in "One," and it does sound like a failed romance.
I was led to believe the tune was about an artist with AIDS
dying, telling his dad about it, and the lack of communication going on between them.

If you can get your hands on a copy of "Into the Heart: The Story Behind Every Song" by Niall Stokes you'll be able to read what Bono says about One. The book starts with Boy and goes all the way through ATYCLB with b-sides as well. The book was written with full cooperation from the band and people around the band, like Flood, Gavin, Guggi....There's a few quotes by one or more person for the songs.

According to the book, Guggi says it could be about him, because of his recent break up. However, Bono says, "One, of course, is about the band..." That's pretty much all he says of that aspect of what the song is about and then he goes on to say something about Adam's performance of the song at the Zoo TV Sydney concert. Bono does touch on how people can interpret it as a song about AIDS but from what I interpret of what I just read, Bono is saying it's just a song about the band.

If you're interested in finding out things about the songs then I highly recommend this book. It's a nice resource to have.

Last edited:
I saw it over the weekend (and taped it of course my previously non existant U2 Tv appearance tape is filling up) I never heard it could have anything to do with the band I always thought it was either about a relationship or father and son thing. There are more than one way to look at it which I always appreciate the "official meaning" I like my own interpretations as well.

Back
Top Bottom