U2 on VH1 True Spin - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:08 AM
U2 on VH1 True Spin

This was a great 4 or 5 minutes of the band talking about the true meaning behind ONE!. Great pic's and short interviews with Bono who was beautiful of course and Larry looked scrumptous and actually smiled while he was talking. Awesome shots of Edge (God he looked good and Adam has blond hair in his shots Music was great, for such a short piece. Can't wait to see it again. It's on tomorrow at 2 eastern and tomorrow night a 10:30 (et). Right after the Donna Summer piece. God they looked and sounded so good. VH1 got it right just wish it would have lasted longer. (It'll be on the 26th also 11:30am (et)

Old 11-24-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Eye candy aside, I thought it sucked. Their interpretations of One were based on old interviews and people who weren't even around the band when the song was written.

Old 11-24-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Yeah, I was hoping that at least Bill Flanagan would be interviewed. Wasn't he formally a producer for VH1?

I finally know how to pronounce 'Guggi' correctly.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Bee

I finally know how to pronounce 'Guggi' correctly.
Oh no how do you say it have I been saying it wrong?

I really wish VH1 would do Ultimate Albums either JT or AB or even ATYCLB because I think it would be cool and I have seen the eminem/rhcp/metallica ones like 500 times.

Also ESP MTV for MTV Icon U2 in 2004.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:34 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl

Oh no how do you say it have I been saying it wrong?

I really wish VH1 would do Ultimate Albums either JT or AB or even ATYCLB because I think it would be cool and I have seen the eminem/rhcp/metallica ones like 500 times.
Apparently it's like "glug-ee" without the L.

I think I've seen the Ultimate Albums for "The Joshua Tree" on VH1 before. Am I wrong?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:56 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:08 AM
There's a Classic Albums about JT, not Ultimate Albums.

They used the interviews of the band from the Legends special, but they showed a little bit of Larry talking that's not on the original show.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:36 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Keocmb

Apparently it's like "glug-ee" without the L.

Oh I feel beyond dumb but how was I supposed to know? No wait that is how I was pronopuncing it like Gucci but with a G?

Interference all about educations ince 1996.

Wait footage of Larry? Hmmmmm
Old 11-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #8
New Yorker

I saw the previews for the Vh1 True Spin on "One". I was excited.
I watched Sting's on "Every Breath You Take".
Old 11-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 07:08 AM
im sorry but it seems to me that vh1 is starting to become more like mtv. they never used to play rap, hip hop, or any britney, justin, christina, and all that crap, but now it seems as if they are starting to lean torwards playing those alot. the only thing that seems good on vh1 now is i love the 80s and 70s..
Old 11-24-2003, 10:38 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I liked it. My mom was asking me which one was the true story-I told her I'd heard both the one about AIDS and the one about tensions in the band. I'd always thought the AIDS one was the most likely, because that's the story I'd heard the most. But I can see where the theory of it being about tensions within the band came from.

The theory of it being about Guggi surprised me-I'd never heard that one before.

But I've personally always seen "One" as being about Edge's divorce. Everyone has their own interpretations.

The other ones were rather interesting-I had no idea that "She Works Hard For The Money" was about a ladies' room attendant, for instance. And the "I'm Too Sexy" theories were amusing.

Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl

Also ESP MTV for MTV Icon U2 in 2004.
Amen! Considering how pro-U2 VH1 seems to be, I'm really surprised they haven't done an "Ultimate Albums" show on either of those albums.

As for MTV...that'd be awesome, yes-but it'd be a pretty big surprise if they did manage to do something on U2. Heck, it'd be a surprise if they did something involving music altogether.

And don't worry about mispronouncing Guggi's name-I'd been saying it wrong for a long time now, too.

Angela
Old 11-24-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
And don't worry about mispronouncing Guggi's name-I'd been saying it wrong for a long time now, too.

Angela
Me too For a long time I thought it was pronounced Googi
Old 11-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I think One can be a combination of all or any of the myths they listed. From what the band says about Achtung Baby, I was under the impression that the song wasn't really ABOUT anything, they were just playing on day, getting more and more frusterated, and all the sudden Edge had a good sound and Bono started singing. It's not like Bono sat down, wrote lyrics ABOUT something and then had Edge come up with a good riff.

I think they write most of their songs by just simply messing around, at least, that's the impression I get based on the AB stolen tapes and videos of them in the studio.

So I'm kinda pissed that VH1 just picked the answer they liked best without asking the band.

I would say One is a RESULT of the tensions and frusterations between the band members, but not really ABOUT that.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I would say One is a RESULT of the tensions and frusterations between the band members, but not really ABOUT that.
I agree. It's really hard to say what any U2 song is about because the meanings change all the time. It's like Bono talking about "In a Little While," saying that when he wrote it it was a song about a hangover but then Joey Ramone saw it as something much deeper than that, completely altering Bono's view of his own song. Definitely there are songs in the universe that are for sure about one thing (like Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" or The Beatles' "Dear Prudence") but in my opinion no U2 songs fall into that category. Well, maybe "Van Diemen's Land" but even that song probably has dozens of layers of possible meaning.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #14
New Yorker

Sillly VH1. They should have asked us.

SD
Old 11-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #15
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I think One can be a combination of all or any of the myths they listed. From what the band says about Achtung Baby, I was under the impression that the song wasn't really ABOUT anything, they were just playing on day, getting more and more frusterated, and all the sudden Edge had a good sound and Bono started singing. It's not like Bono sat down, wrote lyrics ABOUT something and then had Edge come up with a good riff.

I think they write most of their songs by just simply messing around, at least, that's the impression I get based on the AB stolen tapes and videos of them in the studio.

So I'm kinda pissed that VH1 just picked the answer they liked best without asking the band.

I agree with everything Lies says in this thread
Old 11-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Exactly Lies and Dev

Another thing, it was kind of funny that One shared a show with such masterpieces as I'm Too Sexy and Walk Like an Egyptian...
Old 11-24-2003, 08:10 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 AM
so..VH1 said the song was about what exactly?
i remember Bono saying in an interview in 1992 he was thinking of Edge's divorce at the time..

DB9
Old 11-24-2003, 08:21 PM   #18
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
VH1 claimed that the song was about "tensions in the band"
Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by RickFly
im sorry but it seems to me that vh1 is starting to become more like mtv. they never used to play rap, hip hop, or any britney, justin, christina, and all that crap, but now it seems as if they are starting to lean torwards playing those alot. the only thing that seems good on vh1 now is i love the 80s and 70s..
Do you get VH1classic? They show some good stuff
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Do you get VH1classic? They show some good stuff
VH1 Classic kicks ass! They play all the classic videos from the glory days of MTV, plus some really obscure ones - and they show tons of U2 videos, even the ones for A Sort of Homecoming, A Celebration and One Tree Hill.

As for the True Spin episode, I thought it was interesting. I had no idea there was a theory floating around that One was about Guggi's divorce. I always thought it was partially about Edge's divorce, and maybe a little bit about the tensions in the band. It does seem you really can't pin any U2 songs down as being about one thing specifically. Maybe VH1 should have had an "all of the above" option. At any rate, it's nice to see VH1 doing a show that actually has something to do with music rather than the celebrity gossip manure they've been shoveling over past year or so.