U2, my favorite because _______

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madamc

Refugee
listening to u2 for the first time on the radio, it hit me like a ton of bricks. never has any other band done that to me. it was like an epiphany...sorta like seeing the queen of england for the first time on tv when i was 2 (lol.....im french ok!?!), and later learned that i was british in several past lives.

ok i revealed too much.

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

Aahh.. the connection, yeesssss...
Actually, what I originally liked was that the songs are intricate. They're not just power chords and vocals. There's nothing wrong with that, but in order for me to REALLY like a song, it's got to have little things. There's songs that I absolutely love just because of some little thing going on in the background (bass line in Streets - *drool*), or a cool harmony (Hawkmoon 269), or some really neat two second guitar riff (Mofo, there's a whole lot of those in that song). There's always something I can just sit and focus all my attention on, shut my eyes and get lost in. A massive amount of emotion is there, too - Heartland makes me cry about every time I listen (closely) to it. I made an audio cd of my Elevation DVD because I don't have a DVD player in my dorm. When it gets to "40" and the beginning of Streets, it sounds to me like something bigger than myself, something essential that's been missing in my life, is coming, growing out of the air and surrounding me. I missed out on the Elevation tour and have never seen them live, but if (WHEN!) I do, I am going to be bawling almost the entire time, and I can't wait.
Okay, I'll stop before I write a freaking book.

Plus, they're a bunch of sexy mofos
biggrin.gif

the emotional connections i have to a lot of the songs is a huuuuge deal. the only band that was able to do that for me before i discovered U2 was the Beatles.

one U2 song that stands out from the rest of the bunch is Walk On. when it came out, i was going through a considerably hard time. I was in tears listening to it, "and i know it aches and your heart it breaks, you can only take so much....walk on." i know this sounds silly but it was almost like Bono was telling me it would be okay and that i'd get through it.

they are the only band that can give me strength, make me think, give me naughty thoughts and make me cry with joy all at once.

xoxo,
chelsea

i03913E3C-E609-4503-B11D-4EBDADA1975B.jpg

'Nuff Said

Ohh and well the music has saved my life more than once

------------------
THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

Member and Creator of Larry's Angels Harley Club.

"I hit things for a living. I hit things and people clap!" --Larry

ani_larry.gif

Larry: Get me off this fookin booooooooos!

[This message has been edited by Mullen-Girl (edited 02-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Lilly:
*Last but not least, you never hear the same U2 song twice. Everytime I listen to a song that I have listen to a thousand times before and that I know like the back of my hand I hear something new. A new lyric strikes me, I hear a piano or a vocal part I didn't the time before. Their songs are packed with so much goodness.

totally agreeing with that lilly

I like them because they can play their own instruments and after 20+ years they are still if not more imaginative

they arent afraid to speak out about things they r against.

They are HOT HOT HOT
wink.gif

You never have the same feeling when u see them live like u do at any other concert, its so good you could almost cry and you feel just......GREAT!
smile.gif

there is a u2 song that suits how you feel, happy/ sad/ in love whatever, theres a u2 song for it.

You can relate to the lyrics in the song as if they were written for you (hippy said that too
biggrin.gif
)

ok so thats about all really
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:

Oh yeah, same here.

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

my first mix tape made by a bf was u2. And when i feel happy, i want to listen to u2. and when I feel sad, i want to listen to u2. (and some radiohead.)

The music IS relevant, to the world we live in at large, and to our inner emotions.

And I'd have to say they have succeeded with one of their goals. I think I remember Edge saying somewhere sometime that they hoped the music would transport people, with an almost cinemagraphic quality. That it would take you somewhere.

And it does.

They inspire me to try and make music on my own, because their music is so powerful and joyful and sorrowful.

Anyway, they are also good role models for the most part. I'm not sure I agree totally with spending 500$ on pants, but I definitely approve of the TASTE in pants.

First of all I agree with everything you all have said.
They are my favorite simply because they make me feel. Whether I am happy, sad, angry, frustrated, whatever I can find songs to suit my mood. Even when I'm not feeling anything really, I listen to one of their songs and I am emotionally in the moment of that song. I love lots of other music, but there is no other band that can make me feel like U2.
smile.gif
~Jen

Yes, the connection, that feeling in the pit of your stomach, the way the music just grabs your soul. To hear "One" or "Walk On" is like getting a much needed hug, a nudge of encouragement to keep going. The way you can wrap yourself in "Stuck in a Moment" like a security blanket and feel like everything is going to be okay. The opening of BTBS when the riffs fly at you like daggers.

Oh yeah and Bono is supercute
wink.gif

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl:
i03913E3C-E609-4503-B11D-4EBDADA1975B.jpg

'Nuff Said

Yep, my thoughts exactly! Besides the obvious, their music has done so much to me spiritually--and helped me to get through so many hard times...

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Originally posted by daisybean:
Yes, the connection, that feeling in the pit of your stomach, the way the music just grabs your soul. To hear "One" or "Walk On" is like getting a much needed hug, a nudge of encouragement to keep going. The way you can wrap yourself in "Stuck in a Moment" like a security blanket and feel like everything is going to be okay. The opening of BTBS when the riffs fly at you like daggers.

EXACTLY!

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

Gee, where do I start. I agree with all of your reasonings behind your love for U2. They are my favorite for 1000's of reasons, besides hearing a classical opera singer sing the "Ave Maria", they are the only band that can bring tears to my eyes and pleasure to my soul. *did I just write that?!* U2's music has made me become more aware of my spirituality. I can always count on a song to lift me up when I need it to. Their music from the 80's, 90's and to now provides a special place in my childhood, teenage and adult memories.
smile.gif

and oh yeah, and the fact that they are a bunch hot and sexy tamales makes me love them even more!!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by MissVelvetDress_75 (edited 02-17-2002).]

Really girls and recently added boys, what is the best thing about U2 to you?

*I love their relevancy, it's mind expanding everytime.
*Spirituality, it's a commonly overlooked or frowned upon subject in most of music (sans Christian music of course). They share with us their experiences and I am grateful for that.
*Last but not least, you never hear the same U2 song twice. Everytime I listen to a song that I have listen to a thousand times before and that I know like the back of my hand I hear something new. A new lyric strikes me, I hear a piano or a vocal part I didn't the time before. Their songs are packed with so much goodness.

So, what do you like?

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

The connection.

I don't know how to explain it, really, but I think that pretty much everyone on these boards knows what I'm talking about.

It's that feeling you get when you know that the song was written for you. It's the incredible feeling that you are an intimate part of what U2 does.

I'm feeling very tongue-tied on this point. But I think you all know what I'm trying to say
smile.gif

------------------

New reason U2 are my favorite:
"Walk On"

I just found out today that my dog who is 5 has lymphomic cancer. He will have to be put to sleep quite soon. But "I know it aches and your heart it breaks, but you can only take so much, walk on" has made me ball all day (yea, haven't listen to anything else since I found out. Tragedy strikes and it's ATYCLB to the rescue). That and Grace I suppose. Damn they are good.

Another thing about the saving my life thing, same here. When I "discovered" U2 it was a perfect time. My parents were fighting or not talking at all. Everything was pretty shitty and I was having the worst low of my life. Then a good friend lent me ATYCLB and I couldn't stop. It was addicting! Stuck in a Moment did it for me. Now I'm here and happy (well, I'm not so happy today...damn cancer) and most of all alive.
smile.gif

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

There is meaning in their music...a lot of meaning...and feeling. The best way to listen to U2, for me, is to put on some head phones and let it completey fill my head and take over. And, like a few others have already mentioned, their music has saved me more than once
smile.gif

oh, and, not to forget, they are hot
wink.gif

Originally posted by Lilly:
Everything was pretty shitty and I was having the worst low of my life. Then a good friend lent me ATYCLB and I couldn't stop. It was addicting! Stuck in a Moment did it for me. Now I'm here and happy (well, I'm not so happy today...damn cancer) and most of all alive.
smile.gif

ATYCLB just kinda picks you up in its arms and tells you everything's going to be all right

Originally posted by Kristie:
ATYCLB just kinda picks you up in its arms and tells you everything's going to be all right

Thanks for saying that Kristie...I've been looking for those words for awhile...when I try to explain ATYCLB to people, I just can't do an adequate job...from now on I'm telling them what you said.
smile.gif

------------------
"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Back
Top Bottom