U2 getting me through.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chels82

Refugee
as many of you have noticed, i haven't been around much lately. i got the news of my mother's death in early April and i have yet to fully recover. i wasn't close to my mom towards the end of her life, however it still hurts.

my mom loved U2. she took me to my first U2 concert on the PopMart tour. she was almost as excited as i was. she got so ecstatic when Bono walked on our side of the stage. she was telling everyone how seeing U2 was like a religious experience. she was so jealous of me when i saw U2 on the Elevation tour....now i kind of wish i would have taken her with me. she took great joy in their music....she even owned U2 CD's herself. her favorite song was Mysterious Ways, it was very strange coming home from school to hear it blaring on the stereo.

once again, U2 has helped me through one of the hardest times in my life. hearing Bono work through the loss of his mother in songs like Tomorrow have really helped me. of course, ATYCLB has been like a warm hug for me....it has really helped me.

anyways, i know everyone here has been touched many times by U2 and their music. feel free to share your stories, i love hearing them.

------------------
xoxo,
chelsea

i'm looking through your window
i'm walking through your doorway
i'm on the outside, let me in....let me love you.

I don't really have a story, just wanted to send you a big hug. I can't even imagine how hard that must be... but I'm glad to know that U2 has helped you get through this.

((((chels82))))

((((chelsea))))

I know what you are going through... I lost my father in 98 and had a hard time dealing with it. Sorta had the "I wish I had been nicer" type regrets.

I wish I had the song Kite back then, but when I first heard it I thought of my father and realised that I had to make peace within myself.

I have found that their music has been able to touch me in ways that no other music can. The way one song can bring you pure joy and happiness, another song can give you that little push to keep you going when things get tough, and how another song can comfort you as much as or better than a trusted friend.

Thank you for starting this thread Chelsea.

------------------
Daisy

~*~We are one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other~*~

The Mouth Moves in Mysterious Ways

AIM:daisyone75

thank you daisy and flamingjune. i was just thinking....and i really want to go to Dublin now. i have this need to tell Bono and the boys how much their music has helped me through my life. i've never been so emotional with any other band in my life (besides the Beatles of course). i just hear about all of you Plebans getting to meet the guys....and i want to jet over to Ireland so i get my chance to tell them.....because i'm not sure if i ever will.

Chelsea, try writing a letter.. I know it is not the same as meeting them in person, but for me anyway, I'm better at expressing myself on paper than in person. Knowing me, if I met them and tried to thank them for all they did for me I'd start getting all weepy and incoherent.

------------------
Daisy

~*~We are one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other~*~

The Mouth Moves in Mysterious Ways

AIM:daisyone75

Chelsea, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you've found some peace, or at least some help in finding peace, in U2's music. It's helped me through a lot over the years, as well. Not the loss of a parent, but some tough times. Remember we're here for you as well! And I think writing a letter is a great idea.

------------------
I used to think
As birds take wing
They sing through life so why can't we?

?Poetry doesn?t belong to those who write it; it belongs to those who need it.?

Thanks for sharing your story, chels82. It was beautiful!

My mom was the person who got me interested in U2. She also took me to my first concert, which was during Popmart. I can definitely relate to the whole "religious experience" thing!

I remember when I was really depressed in the spring of '98 and I was sitting on my bedroom floor crying my eyes out listening to War...And in Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono sang, "Wipe your tears away..." and I did. It was incredible. I could probably think of 1000 instances just like that one.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

(((Chelsea)))

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear about your mother, my deepest condolences. I don't really have a story per se, but I will say I can relate. A lot of U2's songs have gotten me through a lot of hard times. I've been battling depression for years now, and even contemplated suicide, but music has served as a kind of therapy for me, and has gotten me through some real tough times. When I went to the U2 concert last May, I had a great time, it was the best night of my life. Music can really work wonders.

Good to hear U2's music gets you through some rough times. I agree with the other posters about writing a letter and I hope you can find closure and move away of this dispair you're feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you, take care of yourself. And again, my condolences.

thank you all so much for your comforting words and the stories you've shared. about the letter....i was thinking about writing one....but i wouldn't know where to send it and if it would even be read by one of them.
any ideas?

(((Chelsea)))

I lost my Dad March 27th so I know exactly what your feeling right now. We had not been close for quite a while and by the time we made an effort to get to know each other again, he only had a few weeks left. I was surprised at how hard his death hit me and I think a lot of it has to do with guilt at not making more of an effort to be in his life.

U2's music played a huge part in getting me through the days when he was dying, preparing for his funeral and having to leave my stepmom behind in grief like I have never seen before. I can't listen to Kite or Tomorrow yet, its still too painful but Beautiful Day and Elevation really bring my mood up and I've also been listening to In God's Country alot. For some reason it reminds me of good times with my Dad.

Also, coming to PLEBA and just being with people who care played a huge part in bringing me out of the terrible depression I was in. I'm glad you shared this was us.

If you ever need to talk, please email me at bonochick66@yahoo.com

(((chels82)))

I think writing a letter would be a great idea. I kind of have the feeling that if you sent it to "U2, Dublin" it might actually get there.
biggrin.gif
Maybe someone else can provide a real address.

I'm sorry for your loss, but your story affirms what we all feel already. PLEBA may be a drool-fest, but the bottom line is, it's about the music. It motivates, it heals, it inspires, and when we need it to, it holds us in an embrace so comforting that none of us ever feels alone.

I'm getting all sentimental...sorry 'bout that. Thanks for sharing your story. The PLEBAns are always here for you whether you need a hug, a good drool, or a little cheering up. Hang in there.
smile.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

I'm so sorry for your loss. Writing a letter is very therapeutic. You could address it to Principle Management , Dublin Ireland and I'm sure it would get to the right people.

Take Care, sweetie
smile.gif

thanks oktobergirl....i might try that. thank you all for your kind words....they really mean a lot.
i could try Principle Mngmt i suppose....i was also thinking, i could send it to the studio they are working at....Hanover Quay right? or one of the lovely Plebans in Dooblin could deliver it for me!
wink.gif

American Wife - i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. if you ever want to talk, please feel free to email me at chelsea_revolver@hotmail.com

------------------
xoxo,
chelsea

Everyone's stories are wonderful and sad at the same time...I can't say that this is as terrible as losing a parent, but my boyfriend Joseph was killed in the September 11th attacks.
He was a sweetheart who shared my love of U2, and we worked together at the NYC Peace Corps. All he was doing was walking down the street, coming out of a building full of African children that had been transported here for surgery or to be adopted. He couldn't run fast enough.
I came to PLEBA to try and put his death behind me. It didn't of course, like it is with every death, but it eased my pain greatly. Now I know how to ground my pain and listen to U2 to get me through. You girls have been a blessing and I could never thank you enough for making me laugh (and drool) when I was sad. (((PLEBA))) (((U2)))

PS- In March I went to Afganistan with the Peace Corps to help some women there. I learned not to hate all Afganis, because most are good, gentle people. But I will never forget who murdered Joseph.

[This message has been edited by Foadie (edited 05-15-2002).]

Foadie - that is an incredible story. it is a tragic loss. it is amazing that you got to go to Afghanistan, that must have been amazing.
the humor that floats around this place is so uplifting. again, thank you all for cheering me up!

((PLEBA))

------------------
xoxo,
chelsea

Chels82, I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother. I can relate to you, for my dad passed away 3 years ago. Now my mother is in poor health, and I hate the thought of loosing her too. Since my dad's death my mom and I have become closer. She knows of my love of U2, and is very impressed of Bono's humanitarian projects. Yesterday I was kind of down and after listening to Kite and Walk On the day got better for me.

Please take care and give yourself time to greive.

(((hug)))

Back
Top Bottom