U2 Come Full Circle as 360 Degree Tour Launches in Barcelona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5 year old said "Why is Edge wearing dirty pants?"

:wave: Daz - you're up late!

Gorgeous pics, some very artistic too, some just droolworthy!

zu!!! :hug:

I HAD TO come here later
and see IF YT had good vids/audio up yet--
they DO!!!

:ohmy::ohmy::hyper::hyper: :drool::drool::drool:

really, both! some droolworthy & others artistic!

:giggle:

I can imagine whaT SG is gona say when she see's that Larry photo!! :lol:

now I'm going to zip thru the other pages,,............

_01bar3.jpg

_01bar2.jpg

okayyyyyyyyy.............

I just gasped at BOTH of these!!! :ohmy::ohmy:

:lol::lol:

:hyper::love::drool::drool::love::hyper:

weeee what fun!!!!!

Dang I want to see every bead of sweat on Bono's face! j/k....sort of

See you Sept. 12! :wave:

Have you guys seen the YouTube vids? These are crazy good! Like better than the professionally shot DVDs that don't include any crowd noise and change angle every half second. These are second only to the U23D!

:lol:

:wave:

WHat's weird is I got a a whole bunch-- 2 or 3 pages worth of UT vids for the show ... UT crahed on me 3x's

and now U\I can only get 1 pg of vids :grumpy:

I lost the Breath ones I wanted see. and a Magniificant one

about the first ?? 5 or so I saw were rocking !!!
and ESP b/c 3 loading up/played at regular pace

July 1, 2009

U2 at Nou Camp Stadium, Barcelona

It’s only rock’n’roll, but for a band of U2’s stature, it sure takes some organizing these days. The 120 trucks needed to freight the 164ft centrepiece of the group’s new 360° Tour emptied out their load two weeks ahead of this, the first of 44 stadium shows.

After opening with four songs from the group’s current album No Line On The Horizon, Bono explained his group’s decision to begin their latest adventure in Barcelona. “This is where we wanted to build a space station, designed by Gaudi in the capital of surrealism." But if the huge green four-legged edifice on the Nou Camp pitch – christened The Claw – was inspired by Gaudi, no-one had told the group’s stage and lighting designer, Willie Williams.

Some weeks previously, he had already said that the intent had been to create something between the Theme Building at Los Angeles Airport and the fairground machine in Toy Story.

If nothing else though, it was a good reminder that the man who persuaded George Bush to sanction the largest ever response by a Western Government to the Aids crisis is nothing if not a charmer – or, as the opening song Breathe put it, the last in “a long line of travelling sales people.”

The product, in this case, hardly needed pushing. U2’s Spanish fans were already cheering U2 before a lone Larry Mullen came on and roused the throng into action. Thereafter, what ensued was a cheer so unremitting that, at times, it scarcely abated.

Dedicating Angel of Harlem to Michael Jackson, Bono – dressed in customary leathers and amber shades – deftly detoured into verses from Jackson hits such as Man In The Mirror and Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough as his group free-wheeled the song to a rickety climax. Better still was a version of 1999’s Walk On, given solely to draw attention to Burmese Prime Minister-elect Aung San Suu Kyi, who has spent most of the years since her 1990 election under house arrest by the Burmese junta. As an eerie procession of people, their faces obscured by masks bearing Suu Kyi’s face, paced the outer walkway, the new focus of the song seemed to draw out the singer’s most tender performance of the evening.

Over the years U2 have experimented with many different ways of presenting their music, and yet the basic thing at which Bono uniquely excels has remained unchanged. The expression of holy love in a pop song fires up something in Bono that – whilst not hugely hip in rock’n’roll terms – utterly disarms you. At the Nou Camp, these seemed to be the songs that teased out the most goosebumps. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For would have still shaken the foundations, even if Bono hadn’t draped himself in a Spanish flag and begun singing Primal Scream’s Moving On Up over the final minute of the song. Having lain dormant for twenty years, The Unforgettable Fire found its way back into the U2 live set, vast ambient synth oscillations and all, sounding as haunting as ever.

Carried on the back of The Edge’s stratospheric guitar lines, Magnificent showed a band who, on a good day, can still match the peaks of their imperial years. But, at times, this fell well short of being one of those good days.

A seemingly scripted satellite link-up with the orbiting International Space Station was intended to remind us that we all had a duty to look after “the beautiful blue earth”. Instead, it reminded us that satellite link-ups can drain even a packed Nou Camp of all its atmosphere if allowed to go on for long enough.

Their attempt to reimagine I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight as a mid-set trance-techno wig-out did their dignity no favours whatsoever.

And, impressive as the huge quadruped was, you couldn’t help feeling that this “claw” – designed to engage all of the crowd no matter what their vantage point – was ultimately an impediment to intimacy. Playing directly beneath the structure, the four members of U2 had never seemed so tiny. Using the walkways and bridges to reach out to their fans was fine, but only as long as the technology served to assist them. For whatever reason, the group seemed to lose all contact with each other for One. As The Edge soldiered on, his guitar wildly out of tune, a visibly agitated Bono lost his place altogether. He instructed his guitarist to stop, but the ensuing version was no less agonizing.

Some 40ft away, Mullen and Adam Clayton’s mortified corpsing said it all. And yet, to a crowd who had come to celebrate their favourite band, it all seemed to go unnoticed. Having donned the hallowed Barcelona shirt a few minutes before, the last in a long line of travelling sales people led his band into an intense valedictory With Or Without You. As a lesson in keeping the customer happy – regardless of the product – you had to admire it.

Tour continues: Barcelona Nou Camp, July 2

U2 land their space ship in Barcelona

By h.b. - Jul 1, 2009

The Irish band started their new 360º tour at the Camp Nou on Tuesday night

Rave reviews for the first night of the new world tour for U2 before 90,000 people on Tuesday night at the Cam Nou in Barcelona.

From U Dos to U Dios – is the headline for example in El Mundo which describes the circular stage set as like a space station and saying the 360º tour offers both sound and spectacle.

El País notes that both the stage and Bono remained in motion all the night, and notes the extremely high volume of the gig. The band dominated the stage with precision says El País, but considered the ‘space ship’ to be more influenced by the Eifel Tower than by Salvador Dalí as the band has claimed over recent days. The paper says the circular stage did not rotate and allowed the public a view from all
angles, and allowed the band to sell more tickets.
The paper notes a retractable circular screen with high-definition images.
However some of the critics did have some negative points, wtih Javier Blánquez in El Mundo saying the mechanical show was far too dramatic for the recent material from the band which he describes as lacking risk. He says the Irish band are ever more retro in their musical ambition, and indeed the show contained all the old favourites such as ‘Sunday bloody Sunday’, ‘Pride(in the name of love) and ‘With or Without You’. There was even a tribute to Michael Jackson with a version of ‘Man in the Mirror’ and 'Don't stop 'till you get enough'.

Bono also had a live video conference with the International Space Station, to launch a message of peace and ecological awareness to the planet. He forwarded a message from Desmond Tutu supporting the fight against AIDS and Maleria and he remembered the Burma opposition leader San Suu Kyi who has been held under house arrest for two years as 20 people wearing a face mask of her paraded around the stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom