U2 by U2 quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yeter

Refugee
I've been meaning to post some quotes from the new book but I've been swamped with school and work.

here goes, enjoy!

Larry on performing for the first time at Mount Temple.

"After that, I think we were a band. We had actually managed to play in public together without totally disgracing ourselves. It was as if my identity changed. i was no longer the blond kid hanging out in the corridor, I was now the kid in the band."

Edge on Adam

"Adam became our manager and had cards pirinted up. For a while, Adam and Bono were certainly the two most vocal characters in the group, myself and Larry being a big younger. Adam's understanding of such exotic terms as gig and riff gave him a certain authority. I think we were using the word "rift" until Adam put us right. We were suitably impressed"

Larry on Gloria, their first video

"I had no idea about videos, none of us did. I had just bought a brand new pair of red Doc Martens boots which cost me fifteen pounds, a lot of money back then. There was a scene where the director, Meiert Avis, asked me to spash though a puddle. I said,"I'll get my new Docs wet." He said, "Yeah, well that's what we want for the scene." I told him "Forget it." I wasn't getting the boots wet.

Bono on early rehearsals

"Rehearsals at that point were really just screaming arguments, one long row after another. I was probably most responsible for this-but you see, I'd come from a house where everyone screamed at each other, so I though that was normal discourse. My father and my brother would watch the rugby, standing in front of the television with my dad shaking his fist at the referee screaming, "I'll kill you!" My brother too.They were loud. And I guess I was too. I'm not now. In our house, I rarely raise my voice; I can raise the temperature in other ways. But, back then, that's how I thought you talked to people. So there was a lot of very very aggressive stuff, and because we were dysfunctional as a band, it was very hard. Because I wasn't master of any instrument, I was relying on Edge and he ws relying on Adam and Larry, and none of us were good enough to be relied on. You'd hear the melody coming in, your're going to just grab it, it's going to be great and then the fucking thing falls over. Some body hits and clanger and you want to kill them. And in my case that is: "I will fucking kill you if you do that again!"

As Biff said in an earleir post, there is SO much stuff ... I'll leave you these for now! Gott a run!

:ohmy: larry talks!!!!

:lol:

I Will Follow anyone??? :huh:

thanks for the quotes :) I really hope I'll get this book sometime soon!

yeter said:

"I had no idea about videos, none of us did. I had just bought a brand new pair of red Doc Martens boots which cost me fifteen pounds, a lot of money back then. There was a scene where the director, Meiert Avis, asked me to spash though a puddle. I said,"I'll get my new Docs wet." He said, "Yeah, well that's what we want for the scene." I told him "Forget it." I wasn't getting the boots wet.

*coughPrimaDonnacough*

:lmao:

Here's someting I thought was really moving. Bono is talking about Edge's daughter's illness and the song Miracle Drug.

"Sometimes I wonder if all art is prophetic. It tells you what's coming up in your life or what's happening in the world before it's happened. "Miracle Drug" was one of those moments. It's a song about faith, the miracles that God can work through science, and in particular medicine. It supercharged the show on an emotional level. Every night I could not look at Edge until he was singing. then I would look at him, holding on to the words: "I hear your voice it's whispering in science and in medicine." and it always brought home what his beautiful daughter is going through, the most extraordinarily gifted girl whose humour and intelligence has helped her negotiate this ordeal. I always dedicated the song to doctors and nurses, people who spend their life looking after others and know how fragile life is.
I started introducing Edge over the opening notes of "Miracle Drug". I would say something along the lines of "These four notes give me faith in the future. You know Edge is from the future." And people look at me. I'd say, 'Yeah, he's from the future and he's come back to be with us here in the present.' Edge would be like, 'Don't.' So then one night I started to develop this theme: 'But he's not just from the future on this planet, he comes from a different planet. And in fact, Larry, Adam and myself were all there when his space ship arrived on the north side of Dublin. And the space ship was making this sound.' The same four notes. "And then the door opened, and out came this strange creature. And Larry went up to him and said, "Who are you?" He said, "I'm the Edge." And Adam said "Where are you from?" and Edge said, "I'm from the future." And Larry said,"What's it like?" and Edge said, "It's better." And then we go in to the song. It was one of those moments, you laugh just before you cry. But, of course, I really believe that. The future is better. We were all believing for Sian."

:heart:

I love the quote about Sian, I assume she's doing better now? I love the meaning of Miracle Drug. Obviously, we are to remember that God heals first, but if one is a Believer, who do they think enabled scientists and doctors to have the mental and physical break-throughst w/the treatments. "MD" is is an amazing song. I can't wait to get this book!!! God Bless!!

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

Ok so why doesnt God just give us all the answers and cures? Why must we work for them? Why is that fair to the patients in the present with a week left before the cure arrives that they die on day 4? It doesnt make any sense to me. Its cool that weve had advances in medicine but I dont think God has any hand in it. I see it as a puzzle thats soley for humans to figure out.

yeter said:
Here's someting I thought was really moving. Bono is talking about Edge's daughter's illness and the song Miracle Drug.

"Sometimes I wonder if all art is prophetic. It tells you what's coming up in your life or what's happening in the world before it's happened. "Miracle Drug" was one of those moments. It's a song about faith, the miracles that God can work through science, and in particular medicine. It supercharged the show on an emotional level. Every night I could not look at Edge until he was singing. then I would look at him, holding on to the words: "I hear your voice it's whispering in science and in medicine." and it always brought home what his beautiful daughter is going through, the most extraordinarily gifted girl whose humour and intelligence has helped her negotiate this ordeal. I always dedicated the song to doctors and nurses, people who spend their life looking after others and know how fragile life is.
I started introducing Edge over the opening notes of "Miracle Drug". I would say something along the lines of "These four notes give me faith in the future. You know Edge is from the future." And people look at me. I'd say, 'Yeah, he's from the future and he's come back to be with us here in the present.' Edge would be like, 'Don't.' So then one night I started to develop this theme: 'But he's not just from the future on this planet, he comes from a different planet. And in fact, Larry, Adam and myself were all there when his space ship arrived on the north side of Dublin. And the space ship was making this sound.' The same four notes. "And then the door opened, and out came this strange creature. And Larry went up to him and said, "Who are you?" He said, "I'm the Edge." And Adam said "Where are you from?" and Edge said, "I'm from the future." And Larry said,"What's it like?" and Edge said, "It's better." And then we go in to the song. It was one of those moments, you laugh just before you cry. But, of course, I really believe that. The future is better. We were all believing for Sian."

:sad: Wow, that is really, really beautiful. :heart: Thank you for these quotes, Yeter!

t8thgr8 said:
Ok so why doesnt God just give us all the answers and cures? Why must we work for them? Why is that fair to the patients in the present with a week left before the cure arrives that they die on day 4? It doesnt make any sense to me. Its cool that weve had advances in medicine but I dont think God has any hand in it. I see it as a puzzle thats soley for humans to figure out.

You don't appreciate what you don't work for.

yeter - you have sold me on this book. I have to have it!! Thank you for sharing it with us!! :love:

Last edited:
Anyone have a 'fast-forward' button??? Not that I'm impatient or anything......I WANT MY BOOOOOOK!!!

I ordered u2 by u2 deluxe . can someone please tell me where
it was stated that the deluxe wouldn't released till Dec. 1 ? :confused:

Amazon.....boohoo....but then someone else heard a rumour that the late release date is because the books will be numbered and SIGNED!!! OMG I really hope it isn't just a rumour!

^^^ SIGNED?!?!?! I knew they were gonna be numbered but wooow...so glad I ordered the deluxe edition, looks like it's gonna be worth the extra wait. :hyper:

yeter said:

Doesn't Bono know that no one is allowed to say that Sian is the one who's ill?????

Anyone else find it significant that Edge was, like, don't, and Bono paid absolutely no attention to him? We've heard this before, except for the mention of the little one by name, I hope all the Bono stuff isn't the same endless retread, I get exhausted hearing him say the same things and tell the same stories over and over and over again, I don't know how he can stand it.

But for me, the turn on of this book will be the other three, let's hope they have their turn to shine. C'mon Amazon, what the hell are you waiting for, I'm standing here!!!

^^ Do you always have to rain on the parade? Every time?
It's not like Bono would say something like that in this book which is going to be published worldwide without asking Edge...if Edge didn't want it in the book, he would have said so and it wouldn't have gone in.

As I see it, Edge did not want any sort of media attention like tabloid etc publishing stories about his daughters illness that weren't nessacarily true. If he is ready to talk about it and let Bono talk about, then why shouldn't he?

Back
Top Bottom