U2 Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweet Tart

Refugee
i already have Flannagan's bible ( i have read it more times than i dare to admit) but i was looking to get another one but i don't know which one to get.

any suggestions ladies? :eyebrow:

Jam Jar said:
"u2 far away so close!" by Bp fallon is really cool, and so is "into the heart" by niall stokes but please, don't waste your time on "10 years on the road with U2" by diane beeaff..bad, bad book..

i have read bp fallons book (borrowed it from the library) but since it's outta print i'm having a hard time finding a copy of it. saw it a few times on ebay but was outbid or it was too expensive.

will have to look around for your other suggestion. thanks! :D

I got Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 for Christmas and have so far read two or three chapters. If you want to be convinced that Bono is the Messiah in one hour, this is the book for you! It seems pretty good; I'm not a very religious person, and I like it so far!

Schmeg said:
I got Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 for Christmas and have so far read two or three chapters. If you want to be convinced that Bono is the Messiah in one hour, this is the book for you! It seems pretty good; I'm not a very religious person, and I like it so far!

I love this book. It makes it more clear what Bono, in particular, is trying to do, both in music and politics, as well as, of course in the spiritual arena. I'm a practicing Catholic myself and don't *quite* believe he's the Messiah, :lol: :lol: but how nice it is to have a rock star like him with us!!!!:mac: :mac: :sexywink: :love: :love: :heart: :angel:

Most of the U2 books I bought online were bought through half.com Try that or Amazon.com as you may be able to find them at a fairly low price. I even got the very hard to find U2 Live book on half.com for only about $13 in perfect condition

My favorite book is the biography The Unforgettable Fire: The Story of U2 by Eamon Dunphy.

I'd like a new book because now I feel like anything that doesn't tell the whole story is incomplete. I'd love to write one and fill it with hot pics!

I liked The Unforgettable Fire a lot. I got it at a 2nd hand record shop. I know there has been a lot of mixed reaction to it. But, I was fascinated with learning about U2's early life and influences in Dublin.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:

this exists?!?!:hyper:

Yes.

A friend of mine gave me one copy of this book written by Laura Jackson because she has two, and I was a bit dissapointed after reading it, there are a few anecdotes, but I knew about everything written on that book.

0749922451.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I too was disappointed with the Bono biography. When I was reading it I got the impression that the only research Larua Jackson had done was to read some interviews. There is nothing in depth and nothing new in there.

I enjoyed Road to Pop, but because it is only about U2 in the US you miss a lot of the story of the band. Nothing is included that happened in countries other than America.

I enjoyed the Eamon Dunphy biography, even though the band pretty much disowned it and say that it is full of exagerations and untruths. I particularly liked the section on their childhoods, and learning more about Paul McG.

The Niall Stokes book is really good too, but is more of an reference book for U2 fans.

Oh, and I agree with JamJar - the '10 years on the road' book is terrible. I just wanted to kill the woman who wrote it by the end....

God I'm difficult to please, aren't I! Didn't mean to sound quite so critical.......:lol:

thanks a lot for your suggestions guys. it was really helpful. now i don't have to weed through all the crap books and get to the good ones.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I can't believe I'm the only person who liked "A Grand Madness: 10 Years on the Road with U2." It was a very quick read, I got through the whole thing in less than a week and really enjoyed it. I've so wanted to do a mini-U2 tour thing, traveling all around to see a couple of shows in a stretch, and this book gave me even more of a push to wanting to do that. It was also nice to get the perspective of a fan who's more like me, not well-connected enough to get special treatment, definitely wanting to meet the band but not wanting to cross that line between enthusiastic and psycho. Of course some of the book was a little hard to relate to, all the traveling she could do and how easy it was for her to buy tickets to four U2 shows at a time and fly to Ireland and Great Britain every few years.
Overall, though, I thought it was a good book.

"Into the Heart" is decent but I really wish the band had more to do with it, why is Gavin Friday's opinion about where a song came from the authority? "Stay: Far Away So Close" has a lot of cool pictures and some interesting stories but BP Fallon writes like a 14-year-old girl and the book seems to be more about U2's adventures with him than the other way around.

Last edited:
i'm new around here...so first, hello. i also really enjoyed 'grand madness.' one of the things that really stuck with me was the ease with which she went down to the beach along a path that ran behind bono's back garden. what a moment that must have been. also, many years ago parts of a documentary were filmed in gila bend, arizona (which is maybe two hours or so from where i live) and the author spoke about visiting the railroad tracks there where bono stood and sang a bit of 'still haven't found...' accapella. i happen to love this particular scene and have always wanted to search out the spot myself. in fact, i recommended this book to clesai just last night! nice to meet. bye!

i'm new around here...so first, hello. i also really enjoyed 'grand madness.' one of the things that really stuck with me was the ease with which she went down to the beach along a path that ran behind bono's back garden. what a moment that must have been. also, many years ago parts of a documentary were filmed in gila bend, arizona (which is maybe two hours or so from where i live) and the author spoke about visiting the railroad tracks there where bono stood and sang a bit of 'still haven't found...' accapella. i happen to love this particular scene and have always wanted to search out the spot myself. in fact, i recommended this book to clesai just last night! nice to meet. bye!

oops.sorry!

Last edited:
Sweet Tart said:

i have read bp fallons book (borrowed it from the library) but since it's outta print i'm having a hard time finding a copy of it. saw it a few times on ebay but was outbid or it was too expensive.

They have a bunch of copies for pretty cheap at half.com. I think I bought every u2 book I own (which is more than a few) there. lol.

I am reading Grand Madness right now, got it for Xmas and I am on page 174..... and so far I am really enjoying it too! I think her U2 adventures are a dream come true! 38 shows, wow!

I really enjoyed "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary" by Primm Jal de la Parra. A very thorough documentary about each and every concert U2 performed up until the Pop era. It's amazing and quite a fast read. :up:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you guys soooooooo much for recommending half.com. i found tons of stuff there at amzing prices.

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

:bow::bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back
Top Bottom