U2 Bodyguards Are Hot Too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Anyone have any great experiences with these guys? They are all so awesome.. and not bad to look at either! I got these pics from some website, plus the descriptions- it was Pop era, so their positions might have changed:

XJ58960.jpg

Jerry "Honda Civic" Meltzer
Charge: Adam Clayton
Description: Tall, skinny, affable, able to leap small buildings in a single bound, biceps of steel. Will pose for pictures. Soft spoken and very kind. Can take a beating compliments of Mexican thugs and come out on top.
M.O.: The newest addition to the security team has a sarcastic sense of humor and is, by far, the most laid-back of the Horsemen Four. Partial to such interesting tidbits as Bono's underwear size.

Xz42147.jpg

David "Cuddles" Guyer
Charge: Larry Mullen's doberman, the resident "black hat"
Description: Tall, dark, and sinister. Strikes a mean pose. He's the one you would meet in the dark alley on Meltzer's day off.
Doesn't like to be recognized. One of the Vested Ones. Has been spotted occasionally wearing a hint of a smile. Loves motorcycles. Marvelous eyes, if you aren't frightened enough that you forget to notice! Known to stare at fans when they speak to him as if they're talking Pig Latin.
M.O.: Humorless, easily annoyed, probably voted Most Likely To Hurt You For No Reason in high school (just kidding!). But
known to have a softer side, really
smile.gif
Takes good care of our no-nonsense Larry. Also referred to as Scary Man. Would make a great X-Files character.

XF36010.jpg

Scott "Chandler Bing" Nichols
Charge: Edge
Description: The Cute One or the Other Vested One. Has a fetish for leather gloves. Great cheekbones and fashion sense. Looks great in leather. Can converse at length about 40-foot lemons. The one every female fan would flirt with, if she dared
smile.gif

M.O.: Law enforcement student/eventual cop. Should be a model. Usually the guy doing hotel lobby duty when the band is on tour. Currently engaged (I know girls, big sigh!). Tendency to be anal but actually a very nice guy. Known to converse with fans and even be pleasant so long as you behave yourself. Also known as Ticklepants.

Bono's guy is new- something Cormac. I saw him, or who I think was him, in Vegas, but maybe not him b/c he was skinny and not muscley - he had curlyhair. anyway our favorite bodyguard has to be this big guy:
BJohnSlane.jpg

John Sampson.. there's no description from the site about him, but he is just a fantastic and very kind man! He loves fans that are well-behaved and will usually help anyone out. Plus he looks like a big cuddly teddy bear lol

smile.gif

------------------
Your eyes make a circle
I see you when I come in here

* U2 Take Me Higher *

Larry's bodyguard really SCARED me-he's a scary dude!
eek.gif

John is SO nice.
smile.gif

Never saw Edge's bodyguard when I saw them-I don't think he was there-dang it-I missed my chance to attack Edge
wink.gif
Edit to say-whoa-Edge's guy is hot-he DOES look like a model!

And I never even saw Adam
frown.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 11-28-2001).]

AHHH! Scott is adorable! I met him in San Jose when I met Bono in April, and then saw him in Phoenix and LA, and in Oakland, he is the one that gave me the setlist!! He is a sweet guy, and very cute too!
I had never seen those pics, cool!

lol, olive! i guess we're true groupies now... we're even posting about the bodyguards!! yes, bono's new guy is named graham- he's pretty small, has blond hair... he seems really friendly, and he's so funny during the shows- he totally gets into the music- ie, dances, sings along, etc.
yay for the U2 bodyguards!!! lol!
biggrin.gif

Yeah Larry's bodyguard looks kinda scary...eeky

John is sooooooooooooo nice and I agree he looks like a big Teddy bear you want to hug...he's very friendly
biggrin.gif
Has a bit of a smile on his face sometimes

Now at the Austin show I ran into the Stage Manager...I don't remember his name but he was really rude to me...I was like FOAD man! lol
tongue.gif
at him

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

Just finished reading U2 ATEOTW and there are so many funny stories, especially when Bono was in Tokyo and Eric and Jerry were going beserk trying to find him.

David may look harsh but I can't resist a guy who rides a Harley!
smile.gif

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
BJohnSlane.jpg

John Sampson.. there's no description from the site about him, but he is just a fantastic and very kind man! He loves fans that are well-behaved and will usually help anyone out. Plus he looks like a big cuddly teddy bear lol
!!!!! He looks like Stone Cold!

If anyone has an 18 year old brother who watches 'rasslin' religiously, you know what I'm talkin about.

layeth the smack down on my BONOBABY!!!!!! *tamale* ok

------------------
~*Mona*~ Echo's Pimpstress Protege, capable of scandalizing ScottPhisto with AngelinaLips....
97% compatible with Bono

Proud Owner of the one and only Bon Jovi soap caddy

Love me, give me soul.

The PLEBA Mansion, where the play's the thing...
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/plebamansion

For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono! ~Echo~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
BJohnSlane.jpg

He usually followed just below Bono as he moved around the heart, but a couple of times he stood right in front of me (even though Bono was not there), he was very friendly and sweet to us. He is a sweetheart!
smile.gif

------------------
"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

Olive this is AWESOME info, thanks! Do you have a weblink for these guys? I've always been curious about the BGs, all except John who we see a lot of, cos Bono's all over the place.

However, the guy you have here for Edge....he wasn't with Edge at LA3 - there was another REAL good looking guy there, walking the line of fans with him...he was very nice, had like, 3 cameras in one hand while snapping pics with a camera in the other for all the fans, really sweet. No idea what his name is.

I don't have any pics of him, but he was about 5'10" (not real tall), not super buffed out like John or Larry's scary dude, and he had sandy brown hair, blue eyes...we were all commenting on the fact that Edge had an equally cute BG!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Did anyone get pics of this guy in LA??

What a hell of a job these guys have, eh??? I find it rather interesting that it seems the BGs have similar personalities and temperaments as their charges...
wink.gif

XF36010.jpg

Description: The Cute One or the Other Vested One. Has a fetish for leather gloves. Great cheekbones and fashion sense. Looks great in leather. Can converse at length about 40-foot lemons. The one every female fan would flirt with, if she dared
smile.gif

M.O.: Law enforcement student/eventual cop. Should be a model. Usually the guy doing hotel lobby duty when the band is on tour. Currently engaged (I know girls, big sigh!). Tendency to be anal but actually a very nice guy. Known to converse with fans and even be pleasant so long as you behave yourself. Also known as Ticklepants.

Um...TICKLEPANTS??? WTF???

Larry's guard is actually kinda my type...tall dark and a bit scary looking! But a lot of people like that are really sweet and sexy. :p

------------------
The Proud Owner of the ONLY Cardboard Larry!!!

God Bless America and my city, NYC!

Bono urged, "Hey Lawrence, tell them your drummer joke."
"That's a bit mean, asking a drummer to tell a drummer joke," Larry replied, but he told the joke anyway. "Three guys are sittin' down having a rap and the first guy says, 'I'm a nuclear scientist and I have an IQ of 170'. The second guy says, 'I have an IQ of 140 - I'm a neurosurgeon.' The next guy says, 'I have an IQ of seventy.' The other two guys say . . . [You're a drummer!']."

Hee hee! I love Larry!!!!
And drummers! *oops*

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Olive this is AWESOME info, thanks! Do you have a weblink for these guys? I've always been curious about the BGs, all except John who we see a lot of, cos Bono's all over the place.

well I posted all the info from that particular site, but here's think link.
http://www.mindspring.com/~rubyeuropa/closeup.html

However, the guy you have here for Edge....he wasn't with Edge at LA3 - there was another REAL good looking guy there, walking the line of fans with him...he was very nice, had like, 3 cameras in one hand while snapping pics with a camera in the other for all the fans, really sweet. No idea what his name is.

You're right- Scott is not Edge's BG anymore, but he is still on tour with them because I saw him in Providence and Philly. I'm guessing he took over another position - and that cutie you mentioned is now in charge of Edge.

find it rather interesting that it seems the BGs have similar personalities and temperaments as their charges...
wink.gif

as do their techies!!

LOL funny you should mention that...!! (jennifer! bahhh)
wink.gif

Hey just realized I left off Jerry Mele (although I'm not sure if he's still w/ the band...)
jemele.jpg

Jerry "Big Daddy" Mele
Charge: Head of security
Description: Everybody's dad or favorite uncle. Usually wears an expression of mixed stress and thoughtfulness.
M.O.: One of the few Vietnam vets who escaped with his life and his sanity, Jerry carries himself with the Jersey-Guy attitude that "if you're nice to them, they have no reason not to be nice back." Hell-bent on changing concert security and doing an amazing job of it. Also known as Uncle Jerry to the legion of fans everywhere who adore him. Made famous by Bill Flanagan's book, U2 At The End Of The World.

(if that pic works i'm not fixing it sorry too lazy lol)

------------------
Your eyes make a circle
I see you when I come in here

* U2 Take Me Higher *

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
~*Mona*~ Echo's Pimpstress Protege, capable of scandalizing ScottPhisto with AngelinaLips....
97% compatible with Bono

Proud Owner of the one and only Bon Jovi soap caddy

Love me, give me soul.

The PLEBA Mansion, where the play's the thing...
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/plebamansion

For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono! ~Echo~

Hey Disco....the nice one walking the line with Edge after LA 3 is Graham. He is in a few of my photos from that night but I can't scan them in yet....I'll put a link to different ones with him in 'em below.

Ally referred to him as Bono's new guy but I think he's been around for a while. He is Edge's guard but I've seen him with Bono, too, so I guess they have a tendancy to float a bit. He is super-nice, as is John and pretty much every U2 staffer I've encountered.

We should feel lucky because I've been to lots of concerts by lots of people and never have met so many crew members who take time out and, seemingly, enjoy time with the fans.

In this first one, you can see Graham to Bono's left (as they are both captivated by the dreamcatcher Khelia is presenting to and explaining the meaning of to Bono): http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bossgirl8/vwp?.dir=/U2+NYC+October+27th+%2701+-+outside&.src=ph&.dnm=dreamcatcher.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/bossgirl8/lst%3f%26.dir= /U2%2bNYC%2bOctober%2b27th%2b%252701%2b-%2boutside%26.src=ph%26.view=t

And he is also in this one just to the left of Khelia's head: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bossgirl8/vwp?.dir=/U2+NYC+October+27th+%2701+-+outside&.src=ph&.dnm=bonokhelia.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/bossgirl8/lst%3f%26.dir=/U 2%2bNYC%2bOctober%2b27th%2b%252701%2b-%2boutside%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Hehehe.... I have a bit of a fetish for Scott... this pic was taken after the show in Hamilton, but he looks much better in real life ;-)

45910207203_0_ALB.jpg

Hey thanks Ruthie, that's the guy, all right!
smile.gif
He's cute, and LOVE that bit of salt-n-peppa he's got goin on...whoo!

and that name: GRAHAM!! Cute...wouldn't kick him outta bed fer eating *graham* crackers, hee hee!!
biggrin.gif
*is scandalized!*

Originally posted by Sad Eyed Lady:
Hey Disco....the nice one walking the line with Edge after LA 3 is Graham.

Ally referred to him as Bono's new guy but I think he's been around for a while. He is Edge's guard but I've seen him with Bono, too, so I guess they have a tendancy to float a bit. He is super-nice, as is John and pretty much every U2 staffer I've encountered.

Oh dear they have a bodyguard for Larry who is EXACTLY like him...hehe...

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

I'm so glad you started a thread on this, Carrie! I just love these guys, and think they are so wonderful for always being patient and friendly to us!

I have a big ol' soft spot for John. At one of my Elevation shows, I was traumatized all night by a flower-wielding miscreant who was constantly elbowing me, taking up too much space, and shamelessly trying to trick Bono into pulling her up on stage. The next day, John saw me and said "Who was that psychotic bitch in front of you last night?" and I felt AVENGED!

Want to give them all a giant hug!
smile.gif

------------------
tickle is where the shame begins

Originally posted by VelvetDress:
I just love these guys, and think they are so wonderful for always being patient and friendly to us!

Want to give them all a giant hug!
smile.gif

"Who was that psychotic bitch in front of you last night?" and I felt AVENGED!

Agree and agree, really what other band has such nice guys? Just the fact that we know them by name says a lot about their personality and organization. I mean really the BG's are just the tip of the iceberg, we know the techies too Dallas, Stuart , Willie, Joe, oh man I couldn't name them all.

LMAO at John's comment. Also I have a friend that was on the rail in the heart once and started feeling bad cause she was dehydrated and John got one of the security guards to go fetch her some water w/o her asking for anything. *I can just hear the aws as people read this*

Mona, I know who you're talking about and I also thought that but you know who else John reminds me of, Mr. Clean, lol.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Very nice thread! The experience I have from the BG are just nice.

John is by far the nicest IMO. Even after I knocked him twice in ten minutes and made him lose his headset he was still just smiling at me and said it was ok. He must have thought I was crazy. LOL He is also just as much a BG for us, the fans. He has always an eye on what's going on in the audience and is the first to ask if you are OK. I feel very secure with him near me.

Scott is now head of security and noones personal BG. He's nice and very free spoken about the show and everything but he still gives me some bad vibes. But ZooGrl is crazy about him, obsessed, and that's good because she said she would leave Bono for me if she got Scott. LOL
biggrin.gif

Larry's BG seemed to do his job in quiet. When I met him in London he didn't interfer at all. Larry did all the arrangements for him feeling safe himself. Felt very relaxed and calm.

Don't know if it still is so, but when Jerry Mele was the head security all the new BG had to go in "trainingschool" for 3 months or something for him, where they were tought the humble way of being a securityguard. You can read about it in U2-At the end of the world.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

You know there was this other guy that came out with the band in Austin, he came out with all 3, Larry was there sans bodyguard, but John was there with Bono....now this other guy was like cute, at first I kept on confusing him with Larry...lmao after being in the sun 12 or 13 hours I thought any blonde was Larry, and this guy kept on walking in and out of the arena and everytime he would I'd be like LARRY! and ABEL was like no that's not Larry!..lol anyway he was really cute and I asked him if Larry could have my poster which he told me that it was better if I kept it cos they would most probably throw it away...he was very friendly and stuff
smile.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

Haven't personally met any of them but I know at least Jerry Meltzer is a nice guy. A group of us from U2NYC signed a birthday card for Larry and a friend saw Jerry outside and asked if he would give the card to Larry. He said something like "I will. And if I say I'm gonna do something, I promise I'll do it." Awww....! Such nice guys.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Ok, yeah, I have to say, apart from my obsession with Scott (no comments, please ;-)), John is the greatest guy in the world because he doesn't just do his job in watching out for Bono but he *understands* what it's like to be a fan and goes out of his way to be nice. I'm sure it gets tiring doing the same routine over and over again but you tell that even if he gets frustrated with Bono (as I'm sure he must sometimes) he's never of the attitude that "it's just a rock show" or "he's just a rock star" but instead really tries to make the experience -of either the show or meeting Bono or the rest of the band- really memorable.

I don't have any pics of him, but he was about 5'10" (not real tall), not super buffed out like John or Larry's scary dude, and he had sandy brown hair, blue eyes...we were all commenting on the fact that Edge had an equally cute BG!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Did anyone get pics of this guy in LA??

What a hell of a job these guys have, eh??? I find it rather interesting that it seems the BGs have similar personalities and temperaments as their charges...
wink.gif

Yeah, and remember when Edge first got out of the towncar, and the people around us said, hey, LARRY'S here, too! I swear, in my delirium (which isn't saying much), I thought Larry got out of the car with Edge and was going to sign autographs. So, from far away, Edge's bodyguard looks a bit like Larry.

Moonie
smile.gif

------------------
If you ask me, I think it's all about drums.
Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting
(If You Wear That Velvet Dress)
Hit Gurl

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Larry's guy looks pretty scary...*sighs* Just another sign I'm never meant to meet that man.
tongue.gif

Oh how awful!! I think he's sexy! Those brooding dark guys are soooo my type. *thinks lovely thoguhts*

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Scott. I admit it, I'm addicted. He is volcano hot!!!!!! Can't believe he is engaged <sob> Just because I'm married doesn't mean he has to go and get married too! I've had some great experiences with Scott (no, not that great, but I can dream can't I?) My first encounter with him was in Toronto during Popmart. My friend and I had driven from Maine, were suffering from serious lack of sleep, had attended the show and then driven to the Four Seasons in an attempt to meet the boys. Just as we got there we saw the black Suburbans pulling up so we ran across the street and immediately got in the line that people had formed so that Bono & Edge could sign autographs, pose for pictures, etc. I was so excited but I stayed in line shaking. Scott comes over and tells me to move over here, pointing away from the line. I panicked and told him that I was being good, I was staying in line and that I hadn't gotten Bono's autograph yet. He asked me again to move and I pleaded with him to let me stay and get Bono's autograph. He gave me the cutest, flirtiest look and told me to move again, then he leaned in to me, winked and said he was starting a new line and he would send Bono right over. I felt like such an idiot, even though he was being sweet, I immediately started apologizing for not moving and he said it was okay, but just trust him next time and he gave me the best smile, I just about melted! He did send Bono & Edge right over and I got both of their autographs, it was great. We drove all the way back to Maine on no sleep and somehow made it alive.

My next encounter with him was in Seattle during Popmart. Several friends and I got a room at the Four Seasons so we could meet the band. We hung out in the lobby alot the day of the show hoping to meet the boys. When the band did come down the bodyguards told us nicely that this was their only safe haven so we were not to approach them or take pictures. Luckily they didn't say anything about staring or drooling! After the show we headed back to the hotel for the long wait in the lobby. The longer we waited the more annoyed the hotel staff got and they kept kicking everyone outside or making them go back to their rooms. Somehow we missed the band arriving, but we knew they were there because all the bodyguards were around. There was quite a crowd inside and outside and it was apparent that everyone was going to stay until someone came out. We hung out in the lobby as much as we could. At one point my friends went up to the room and I stayed in the lobby. Scott came in looking pretty serious and he started asking people if they were guests at the hotel and he was making everyone leave or go to their rooms (I think the hotel was giving them a hard time). I was sitting there, in full Lemongirl outfit (cowboy hat that said POP on it, halter top with lemons on it, glitter, the whole nine yards). Scott comes walking towards me and I knew I was going to have to go to the room. He comes over, stands right in front of me, I give him the puppy dog eyes, he stares at me, gets a very small smile on his face, sighs and walks away. He let me stay after he had kicked everyone else out! One of my friends came back down to the lobby, looked around and asked where everyone was; I explained that Scott kicked everyone else out but me! The rest of the time we were there every time I would see Scott he would just give me this cute, sly smile, like we had our own little secret. <sigh>

Okay, there's more, but I'm not sure how much I can write per message........

Originally posted by sharky:
Haven't personally met any of them but I know at least Jerry Meltzer is a nice guy. A group of us from U2NYC signed a birthday card for Larry and a friend saw Jerry outside and asked if he would give the card to Larry. He said something like "I will. And if I say I'm gonna do something, I promise I'll do it." Awww....! Such nice guys.

Ooooh...that's so sweet!

Ok Lemongirl, you've got me interested... great stories about Scott! Tell us more!! :)
Hey, where in Maine are you from? My family goes to Goose Rocks Beach (near Kennebunkport) every summer, so Maine is close to my heart :)

Back
Top Bottom