u2 at sun studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
I recently took a road trip to Memphis and a few other places. LOVED :love: Sun Studios, especially since it is connected to the boys in the rattle and hum movie, and the 5 songs they recorded there. I highly recommend anyone who can, to visit the place. Not just because of U2, but of course more obviously the history it has with Elvis, J.Cash, C.Perkins, and so many other greats. Totally worth it!

There are several framed pictures of the band during their recording session at the studio which are hung on the wall in the diner that is connected to sun studios. They are posted in frames on the wall and I took pictures of each one. I don't know if it is because I suck at taking pictures, or my camera sucks, but for some reason all the pictures I took of any photo in a glass frame came out blurry, whether I used the flash or not. :mad: After getting over the shock and trauma :crazy: I was wondering if anyone here has pictures of those photos that they could post? At least I could have good copies that way.
I do have one that turned out for some strange reason, :shrug: and one of edge that was just a poster with no glass in front of it:

here are the ones that turned out:

100_0966.jpg

100_0944.jpg

I'd be more than happy to post more pictures of sun studios if anyone is interested. just didn't want to just post a whole bunch and bore people to tears. :wink:

For anyone who posted some recommendations for my road trip in the recent past thankyou! I loved stopping in St. Louis and seeing the Arch. In Memphis, Beale street was amazing, as was Graceland, Civil Rights Museum, Gibson Guitar factory, Rock and Soul Museum, and just plainly walking around Memphis. I have some photos of Lorraine Motel and the famous room 306 where MLK last stayed. A very moving place to visit. I'm pretty sure there are some photos on Interference of when Bono and Ali visited the Civil Rights Museum back in October 2004.

Thanks in advance for any pics! In the meanwhile I'll go drown my sorrows about my blurry pictures in a pint of something.

Yes more pictures - the ones you posted rock! Especially the Bono one, i havent seen that before!

Like I said, I don't have any other good U2 related photos at the Studio because they came out blurry, but I do have some from the studio itself and related things. Also some from The Civil Rights Museum. Hopefully they will be allright to post. (Not too boring compared to a Bono pic :wink: )!

I'll post tomorrow because I have to run and get to work now! But thanks for asking!

Sun Studios:

100_0930.jpg

The back parking lot, as you can see in the distance the studio is very small and old looking.

100_0931.jpg

Photo of jerry lee lewis on outside window of Sun Studio

100_0935.jpg

Roy Orbison before the dark glasses!

100_0936.jpg

The diner connected to Sun Studios. Lots of photos on the wall!
(And a lot of mine came out blurry!! :mad: )

100_0937.jpg

Cark Perkins who first recorded "Blue Suede Shoes"
100_0938.jpg

Larry at the recording session. They did 5 songs in 5 hours. Pic. of Sam Phillips and Johnny Cash in the background.

100_0959.jpg

The drumming set at the studio. Bono pic in the distance.

100_0967.jpg

One of my daughters who is a drummer in her band, sitting at the drum set. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
100_0958.jpg

Original pepsi machine from those times (1950's) 10 cents back then!

100_0972.jpg

Entrance to sun studios. "Mom, we're melting!!!"

100_0961.jpg

This is called the "Million Dollar Quartet" photo. J.L.Lewis, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins all happen to be in the studio together at the same time and it was all by coincidence. They "jammed" together for three hours, and Sam PHillips was smart enough to record the whole 3 hrs. You can buy the CD of it at SS.

100_0971.jpg

Elvis with Sam Phillips and Phillips' wife. She first heard him record the song for his mom "my happiness" and saved a copy of it for S.Phillips to hear when he came to the studio later. She thought the "boy had talent." Smart woman. ;)

Last edited:
100_0948.jpg

Platinum Album of Rattle and Hum with photos of Adam and Edge.

100_0947.jpg

100_0949-1.jpg

100_0964.jpg

Photo inside studio. Photo of Sam Phillips and Elvis in the background.

100_0956.jpg

Photo of elvis and his parents. (Sorry turned out blurry too) :(

100_0955.jpg

BB King photo in the diner. (blurry! :huh: )

100_0970.jpg

My girls standing by the microphone that elvis used for his initial recording at Sun Studios. Coincidentally there is a photo of him using it in the background. It is the only authentic item left of Sun Studios. After Sam Phillips sold it, for a while it was a barber shop, and eventually was reopened. Sam Phillips donated the microphone to the studio from his own private collection.

Last edited:
A friend and I went to Sun Studios back during the Elevation tour. We did Graceland, Sun and then sat on the side of the Mississippi river, watching the sun set and the lights come up on the bridge that goes over the river. The tour of the studio was a nice highlight in the trip (I think I enjoyed the sunset more than my friend).They didn't have the pic of Bono in the studio back then, but they did have a lot of U2 related pictures in other places. One strange thing I noticed about the pics was there were very few, if any, where Bono was smiling.

The studio was actually being used at the time by some band for recording. I think the tour guide said it was Matchbox 20. Don't think they'll be making the wall of fame anytime soon.

100_0974.jpg

Entry to Graceland. The house was smaller than expected. But pretty amazing tour. Tons of memorabilia and videos.

100_0975.jpg

The area in Graceland where Elvis kept his motorbikes. The scene in Rattle Hum where Bono goes to the girl and talks her into letting Larry sit on the bikes and take his photo happened there.

Does anyone have clear photos of the band photos that are hanging at sun studios??? There is about 5-6 of them. An awesome one of Bono kissing Elvis's microphone is one of them. Those are all the ones that turned out very blurry. I would love to get better copies! Anyone?

Love these pics, TY:up:Thank you for sharing them. I wish I had the pics you are looking for. Hopefully one of the nice people around her will have them to share. :applaud:

What is so surprising to most people who visit Sun and get the chance to go into the actual studio where all this AMAZING music was made is exactly how SMALL the studio is!

And to think that in that small room many of the giants of modern American music - and many of those who love R & B, Country, Blues and R & R - have passed through that room and left their indelible impression on modern music for all time.

Thanks again for a walk down a memory lane.:sexywink:

thankyou said:

Thanks in advance for any pics! In the meanwhile I'll go drown my sorrows about my blurry pictures in a pint of something.
:hug: As I said before: great pictures! I really hope somebody can help you finding some better pictures!
I want to visit the Sun studios too
puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Weirdly, there are some very small cities in the deep sout named "Bono". One of which is driving distance from Memphis.

I like how one of the plaques insed the studio implies that U2 recorded an entire album there.

u2fp

Last edited:
Anyone have any more photos of Sun Studios or any other pics related to the studio, Graceland and/or U2? Also, how close is the Studio to Graceland? Thanks

Val said:
Anyone have any more photos of Sun Studios or any other pics related to the studio, Graceland and/or U2? Also, how close is the Studio to Graceland? Thanks

graceland and sun studios are about 20 minutes apart by car. you can take a shuttle ride organized by sun studios from there to graceland and back. plan on a 3hr tour at graceland if you like to see everthing without being hurried. plan about an hour at sun studios at the most. Nobody should go to Memphis and miss seeing Sun Studios. It was awesome, especially all the history involved. Amazing place, so small but loaded with stories.

I have some U2 photos from Sun, I went there last year. I'd have to look through them and upload them. I didn't see the one of Bono kissing Elvis' mic, either I missed it completely or it wasn't there then :(

MrsSpringsteen said:
I have some U2 photos from Sun, I went there last year. I'd have to look through them and upload them. I didn't see the one of Bono kissing Elvis' mic, either I missed it completely or it wasn't there then :(

I'd love to see them!

Back
Top Bottom