Two more reasons to be a Straight Woman in Love with Ali....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Ali Scraps Irish Stars' Illegal Sellafield Ads
Bono wife axes TV blitz protest

The Mirror, March 30, 2002

Niall Moonan
U2 Star's Wife Steps Up Anti-Sellafield Protest
Press Association, March 29, 2002

Mark Sage

Ali Hewson, wife of U2 rock star Bono, today stepped up Ireland's campaign against the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant as plans to bombard Prime Minister Tony Blair and the Prince of Wales with protest postcards were finalised.

In the coming weeks millions of cards will be sent across the Irish Sea from those fearing pollution, terrorist attacks or accidents at the Cumbrian nuclear power plant.

Over the weekend 1.3 million pre-paid postcards will be dropped through the letter boxes of every home in the Irish Republic as part of a campaign which has the backing of Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern. Another 2.7 million cards will be on sale across the country and everyone will be urged to send one calling for the plant's closure.

The cards come already addressed to Mr. Blair, Charles and Norman Askew, the head of British Nuclear Fuels Ltd (BNFL), which runs Sellafield.

All cards posted in the Republic will be collected by the postal service and delivered on April 26 -- the anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

Ms. Hewson said: "I have always felt strongly opposed to Sellafield. It is 60 miles away from the Irish coast. It is pumping two million gallons of radioactive liquid waste into the Irish sea every day, making the Irish Sea the most radioactive sea in the world. Now, we can actually send the weight of everybody's concerns right through the front door of 10 Downing Street and on to Tony Blair's desk. I think people in Ireland are more aware of what could happen if there was an accident than people in England. The Irish are really angry and fed up with Sellafield and with the English Government refusing to listen to our concerns," she said.

The postcards being sent to Mr. Blair will show an eye and carry the message: "Tony, look me in the eye and tell me I am safe."

Another shows a set of human lips calling on Sellafield chief Mr. Askew to "tell us the truth."

And a third, addressed to St. James's Palace, shows an image of Ireland suffering the fallout of a nuclear disaster at the plant.

Sellafield has been a contentious issue between Dublin and Westminster for years, with Irish citizens and politicians pointing out that Dublin is closer to Sellafield than London.

The commissioning of a new mixed oxide (MOX) reprocessing facility at the end of last year provoked outrage in the Irish Republic amid growing fears that the installation could prove an attractive terrorist target following the September 11 terrorist attacks against the United States.

Mr. Ahern's party, Fianna Fail, recently launched a high-profile protest against Sellafield recently, taking out full page advertisements demanding its closure in British newspapers.

Ireland has already taken two legal actions against Sellafield.

The first was under the Ospar Convention on nuclear emissions and the second was made to the Hamburg-based United Nations International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea.

Although Ireland failed to win an injunction banning the opening of the MOX plant, it claimed a partial victory after the Hamburg panel ordered Britain not to exacerbate Irish fears.

? The Press Association Limited, 2002.

A star-studded campaign to close Sellafield was in chaos yesterday after a TV advertising blitz was axed.

Commercials costing EUR200,000, backed by Ronan Keating, Samantha Mumba and the Corrs, breached laws on political advertising and had to be shelved.

The campaign is being co-ordinated by Ali Hewson, wife of U2 front man Bono, Chernobyl Children founder Adi Roche and Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan. Despite the TV setback they vowed that a postcard campaign demanding Britain closes the nuclear plant will still go ahead.

Dundalk stars the Corrs had booked studio time to record advertisements calling on people to send the postcards.

But Hewson and her team discovered the commercials would have breached the Radio and Television Act 1988.

It bans the broadcast of ads directed towards a political end or over an industrial dispute. The ads urged the British government to shut down the nuclear reprocessing plant. British-based Irish celebrities, including Bob Geldof, are expected to get involved once the cards arrive in England.

Tony Blair and Prince Charles will be bombarded with the pre-paid postcards, which are being distributed to every household in Ireland.

Over the weekend, 1.3million pre-addressed postcards will be dropped through the letter boxes of every home in Ireland as part of a campaign which has the backing of the Taoiseach.

Another 2.7 million cards will be on sale across the country and everyone will be urged to send one calling for the closure of the Cumbrian plant.

All cards posted in the Republic will be collected by the postal service and delivered on April 26 -- the anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

Ali said: "I have always felt strongly opposed to Sellafield. It is pumping two million gallons of radioactive liquid waste into the Irish sea every day, making the Irish Sea the most radioactive sea in the world. Now, we can actually send the weight of everybody's concerns right through the front door of 10 Downing Street."

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Si! I love Ali!
smile.gif

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

Back
Top Bottom