Tonight's show in Atlanta...emotional?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
With the passing of George Harrison, I'm wondering if the guys will be adding any Beatles tunes to their setlist in Atlanta tonight....

any ideas? I'm thinking possibly "Imagine" but that might be more for John Lennon....

Any Pleba's going to tonight's show?

The older the audience age skews the more emotional it will be, I think. Not that we young-uns don't know about the Beatles...but for those who grew up with them, it will be especially emotional, I'd imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if Bono throws some Beatles snippets into the show tonite. Maybe the In My Life bit?

-sula

Originally posted by Discoteque:
With the passing of George Harrison, I'm wondering if the guys will be adding any Beatles tunes to their setlist in Atlanta tonight....

any ideas? I'm thinking possibly "Imagine" but that might be more for John Lennon....

Any Pleba's going to tonight's show?
Hi Disco,
I am sure they will do something special to commemorate the life of George Harrison. His musical contribution to the world is a debt we could never repay. He will be missed.
frown.gif

------------------
"Scarlet eyes and a see-through heart....she saw me coming right from the start.....She picked me up, but had me down on my knees....Just a-begging, begging her please...Take me Slow Dancing"

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*
Adam's Press Secretary/Personal Assistant

Yes, I'm a-goin' tonight! I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the news this morning about George Harrison. The guys just might do a bit of "Something" or "Here Comes the Sun". I think it will be emotional and magnificent. Atlanta shows are usually really great; I'm so excited about the show! I am, however, saddened by the news that George Harrison has died.

BTW: If any other PLEBA girls are there tonight, I'll be wearing a cut-up, punk-like "I *big red heart* N.Y." shirt and I have long blonde hair. So, say "hello" if you see me; I'd love to meet any of you gals!

------------------
we move through miracle days....
* PLEBA-girl powers....
ELEVATE!!! *

Originally posted by Julyfly:

BTW: If any other PLEBA girls are there tonight, I'll be wearing a cut-up, punk-like "I *big red heart* N.Y." shirt and I have long blonde hair. So, say "hello" if you see me; I'd love to meet any of you gals!

If I see you, I will say hello...where are your tickets?

They will probabaly dedicate a song to him but George trashed U2 in the press a few years ago and said some not very nice things about U2.

They might dedicate a song cuz our guys are cool but don't expect Bono to go all mushy.

RIP George Harrison!

"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money.

"It's nothing to do with talent."

The Beatles, he said, "had a value which will last forever".

"Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

ouch. sorry to dig this up. I guess this attitude just comes with genius sometimes.

Originally posted by BittersweetGirl:
"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money.

"It's nothing to do with talent."

The Beatles, he said, "had a value which will last forever".

"Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

ouch. sorry to dig this up. I guess this attitude just comes with genius sometimes.

I was wondering when someone was gonna bring this up. I knew for sure I wouldn't have the guts to.

George was very angry man. For all his devotion to peaceful eastern philosophies, he was very bitter, no doubt stemming from the treatment he got in the Beatles and his having to live forever in the shadow of his past. It's really sad that someone so talented had to have such hatred for the next generation.

On the other hand, I guess he gets kudos for not latching onto certain youngsters to make a quick buck. *cough*EltonJohn*cough*

I was obsessed with the Beatles for the majority of my high school years. Their music got me through dark times, and I'll miss George, and the gifts he gave to the world.

------------------
*Echo the Pimpstress* ... Proud Owner of Animatronic Edge!

"Sting, you know I love you but you got a hell of a lot to learn about Rock n' Roll." -Bono

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" - Me

*Somewhere, Edge blushes.*

Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure!

The Official PLEBA Glossary: Delicious AND Nutritious!

A couple things strike me as I read this here...

1. DAMN will he be missed.

2. I physically winced for Bono reading that. It really must have stung coming from one of his idols.
frown.gif

3. You really have to have known and followed U2 for a long time to "get" the Pop thing. (Note: do NOT start the never ending Pop rules, Pop sucks thing, please.
wink.gif
Just making a point, work with me here....)

4. Bono and Harrsion could not possibly be more opposite in styles. Harrison was a very very quite, private man who was probably the one Beatle who didn't love all the popularity and commerical stuff (from what I know.) Bono...well, I don't think "quiet" will ever be on anyone's short list of adjectives to describe him.
smile.gif
He's more 50% Paul (cute and tender and mostly kinda approachable) and 50% Lennon (the revolutionary firebrand who I would approach like Dorothy did Oz) and he adores the stage, the spotlight and the media, which can all be used to a. promote U2 b. make him feel loved
smile.gif
and c. save the world. Which is all a pretty Bono-esque long winded way of saying...I don't argee with Harrison here, but I can see where he'd get it from if he only looked on the surface.

*phew*

SD

Hey I posted my review in Everything You Know... but I wanted to share it with the Pleba girls:

Oh my gosh, the Atlanta show was INCREDIBLE!!! I sat in the upper section behind the stage and I was really surprised at how close the band was. Bono mentioned being in Georgia and Atlanta a good 10 times during the concert. He seemed to be in a really humorous mood. Let's see...highlights:

Out of Control was great! The song had a TON of energy and Bono chatted some in the middle of the song about getting a record deal with that song.

My Sweet Lord...U2 did a really good job with this song and I thought it was a nice tribute.

People Get Ready - This is not my favorite song, but Richard, the guy called up to play the guitar, was really excited about being up there. The crowd was going wild. My friend and I saw him after the show and went and shook his hand and told him he did a good job(he was really cute).

I still haven't found what I'm looking for - The crowd was really into this song. Bono talked about being in a church and stuff, and singing along with the entire arena was awesome!

Edge's solo in Bullet the Blue sky was BEYOND WORDS! Definitely THE highlight of the show. He just went off on his guitar and I was completely blown away.

Walk on - This is such a great closer....I love the Hallelujah's. Bono thanked God Almighty and the end of the show. Yes, thank you Lord!

Other notes: Bono kissed some girl during Until the End of the World. It was actually kinda weird and out of place during this song. At the end of Beautiful Day he said drinks on the house and beautiful hangover...it was pretty cute. I guess they had an end of the tour party in Atlanta last night, and they drank a lot.

My concert experience was great. This completely BLEW away the last U2 concert in Atlanta in March. The crowd was really loud and alive. I really actually enjoyed sitting behind the stage. Everytime one of the boys turned around to look at the fans behind them, we all went wild. It was awesome! All my friends said it was definitely one of the highlights of their life so far and I would have to agree. One of my friends said she felt like she was in an awesome worship service, and I would have to agree with that too. On one side I sat next to some guy I didn't know, but that was totally into the concert as much as I was, and that was really nice to have someone sitting next to you singing along to all the songs with you.

As soon as this bootleg is up somewhere...please someone post a link or something. I really want a copy of this concert to cherish. Oh, and I got a t-shirt too
smile.gif

WHOA, awesome review!!! Wish I could have been there as well!! Can't wait to hear the reviews from a friend I know when tonight as well.

highlights:

My Sweet Lord...U2 did a really good job with this song and I thought it was a nice tribute.

WOW! what a perfect song to remember George...and for U2 as well.

I still haven't found what I'm looking for - The crowd was really into this song. Bono talked about being in a church and stuff, and singing along with the entire arena was awesome!

Oh, how cool! Wish they would have played this for us as well! They haven't done this one for awhile.

Edge's solo in Bullet the Blue sky was BEYOND WORDS! Definitely THE highlight of the show. He just went off on his guitar and I was completely blown away.

I know, Edge just RULZ. Even tho he was having technicalproblems in Dallas, his Bullet solo was astounding! It literally gave me goosebumps...breathtaking.

Walk on - This is such a great closer....I love the Hallelujah's. Bono thanked God Almighty and the end of the show. Yes, thank you Lord!

I know...I really wish they had added the hallelujah bit at the end of the show on the album as well (as well as adding hallelujah's to the end of "Running to Stand Still" like they did in the video, with the smoke and harmonica...just...WOW.

glad they put on such a great show for you! Do you think tracking down a boot of the Atlanta show would be advisable??
smile.gif

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 11-30-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom