To: PLEBANs who stayed already in Dublin - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:39 AM
To: PLEBANs who stayed already in Dublin

Can you tell me some good hotels or youth hostels where I can stay when I go there in summer time? Puuleeze? *needs your help*

Old 01-07-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 07:39 AM
If you don't mind travelling into Dublin by bus I suggest finding a hotel just outside Dublin where it is cheaper.

There is a good hostel by Temple Bar I stayed in with some friends, I am not good at remembering names but I'm sure you could search it on Yahoo or Google.

If you want to stay in the centre of Dublin The Gresham Hotel on O'Connell street is brilliant and close to everything, they usually do a special deal for a weekend, and if you could get a couple of friends to put money in together for a double room and maybe have about 5 of you in it with people sleeping on the floor, not that I and my friends did that sort of thing before or anything

Old 01-07-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:39 AM
I've stayed at the Aston Hotel (on Aston Quay along the River Liffey) twice and also the Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar. Both are in the middle of the *action* but Blooms has a night club in the building, so if you want total peace and quiet, it might not be the best choice. I also remember the Blooms being a little chilly (but we were there in February so...) I personally preferred the Aston, but Blooms was cheaper. The first time I stayed at the Aston, we had a room overlooking the Liffey and it was great! I think continental breakfast was included with the Aston stay, with the option to purchase a full Irish breakfast for a few bucks more.

http://www.aston-hotel.com/

http://www.blooms.ie/
Old 01-07-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
The Fly

Everywhere I have stayed in Dublin has been noisey erised, lol.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 AM
tell me when u will be in dublin, i will try to see if u could stay at my house (it depends on my roomates, and on the period u will come)...

if not, u could stay at Four Courts Hostel, 15euros...it is a relly great hostel...
Litton lane is a bit more expensive 17euros, but it is really in city centre, but it was an old studios of U2...
u have also barnaclas temple house, kinlay house etc.... u can find the site of these hostels on Google i think...

if u have other questions, don't hesitate to ask me, if i can do anything for you... miss_u2irish@hotmail.com
Old 01-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm going to go to Dublin with my girlfriend so I doubt it's the best idea to stay in your house, lol.

But thank you, I like that so far. Thanks for the help to everyone!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
Refugee

yeah, it is not the best idea

but if u need any help, now, and once you are here... i will be there to help you, okay??
Old 01-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:39 AM
have you stayed in a hostel before? (Just so there are no surprises... like I got. )
Old 01-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by erised
I've stayed at the Aston Hotel (on Aston Quay along the River Liffey) twice and also the Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar. Both are in the middle of the *action* but Blooms has a night club in the building, so if you want total peace and quiet, it might not be the best choice. I also remember the Blooms being a little chilly (but we were there in February so...) I personally preferred the Aston, but Blooms was cheaper. The first time I stayed at the Aston, we had a room overlooking the Liffey and it was great! I think continental breakfast was included with the Aston stay, with the option to purchase a full Irish breakfast for a few bucks more.

http://www.aston-hotel.com/

http://www.blooms.ie/
The Aston was great because it is in Temple Bar but it's not noisy at all. With the Blooms you're right in the center of Temple Bar so get to listen to all the fights on the streets, glass breaking and whatnot, plus the noise from the nightclub downstairs. And they charged extra for breakfast! The Aston would be my recommendation.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:05 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
When I went last year I stayed at the Comfort Inn Talbot Street, just off O'Connell Street (and practically next door to the Bonovox Hearing Aid shop!)

It wasn't too expensive, the breakfast was included and it's only a few minutes walk from everything.

http://www.choicehotelsireland.ie/com_talbot.html
Old 01-08-2004, 05:35 AM   #11
The Fly

Location: Behind a pillar in my local, behind the paper in my coffee house
Esh...

Kinaly House Hostel is great if you don't mind it being next to Church Bells that chime LOUDly. Oh, but the breakfast is a little ropey, and it's a bit of a walk.

Glorious things are spoken of Litton Lane Hostel (very near Rhythm Records), Barnacles (right in the thick of Temple bar, so book EARLY) and Oliver Gogarty's.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I stayed at the Avalon Hostel , it is right next to St Patricks Cathedral (beautiful place) and 2 mins from Grafton St.
No curfew, interenet, 24 hour security, rooms were good.
I wanna go back to dublin so bad!
http://www.avalon-house.ie/facilities.htm
Old 01-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
have you stayed in a hostel before? (Just so there are no surprises... like I got. )
Hmmmm, I did stay in one before. What sort of surprises do you mean, Olive?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #14
Refugee

i think she meant dorms etc...
Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Refugee

I've stayed in hostals before. but I'm too old for those now..i want comfort! Avalon seems good, for the Internet!
Old 01-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:39 AM
I've never stayed at one but I've heard from friends who did that most of the time they make you work to get to stay for free or a cheap rate. They make you do things like scrub the floor and clean out the toilet, so those are not nice 'surprises' to find out about on your trip!
Old 01-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

O_O
Old 01-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 11:39 PM
eww.

no.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I've never stayed at one but I've heard from friends who did that most of the time they make you work to get to stay for free or a cheap rate. They make you do things like scrub the floor and clean out the toilet, so those are not nice 'surprises' to find out about on your trip!
I backpacked all around the world staying in hostels and I never once had to clean out the toilet

I did meet some people who got themselves jobs at hostels doing the cleaning in exchange for free board - but they don't make you do it

Be warned though - some hostels aren't pretty. I remember staying in a mixed dorm in Taupo, New Zealand, and the guy in the bunk above me came in at about midnight, blind drunk and nearly fell on me trying to get into bed. Then he proceeded to keep leaning out over the side of the bunk and retching. I thought he was going to throw up Even worse - my rucksack was directly in the potential vomit path
Old 01-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Olive, I can recommend the Abbey Hostel. You can book online, it was clean and comfy, and cheap. It was also literally w/in walking distance of EVERYTHING, right on O'Connel st. across from Temple Bar. The ladies there also are happy to book stuff for you. A bed and breakfast none of 'em are, but for us poor students...and for the record, I've never had to do any chores. LOL. If you make some breakfast, you do your own dishes, that was it.

Have fun, and remember Principle Mmt. has a small green sign that is easy to walk right by.

SD