To: PLEBANs who stayed already in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Can you tell me some good hotels or youth hostels where I can stay when I go there in summer time? Puuleeze? :D :cute: :hug: *needs your help*

If you don't mind travelling into Dublin by bus I suggest finding a hotel just outside Dublin where it is cheaper.

There is a good hostel by Temple Bar I stayed in with some friends, I am not good at remembering names but I'm sure you could search it on Yahoo or Google.

If you want to stay in the centre of Dublin The Gresham Hotel on O'Connell street is brilliant and close to everything, they usually do a special deal for a weekend, and if you could get a couple of friends to put money in together for a double room and maybe have about 5 of you in it with people sleeping on the floor, not that I and my friends did that sort of thing before or anything :eek:

I've stayed at the Aston Hotel (on Aston Quay along the River Liffey) twice and also the Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar. Both are in the middle of the *action* but Blooms has a night club in the building, so if you want total peace and quiet, it might not be the best choice. :| I also remember the Blooms being a little chilly (but we were there in February so...) I personally preferred the Aston, but Blooms was cheaper. The first time I stayed at the Aston, we had a room overlooking the Liffey and it was great! :cute: I think continental breakfast was included with the Aston stay, with the option to purchase a full Irish breakfast for a few bucks more.

http://www.aston-hotel.com/

http://www.blooms.ie/

tell me when u will be in dublin, i will try to see if u could stay at my house (it depends on my roomates, and on the period u will come)...

if not, u could stay at Four Courts Hostel, 15euros...it is a relly great hostel...
Litton lane is a bit more expensive 17euros, but it is really in city centre, but it was an old studios of U2...
u have also barnaclas temple house, kinlay house etc.... u can find the site of these hostels on Google i think...

if u have other questions, don't hesitate to ask me, if i can do anything for you... miss_u2irish@hotmail.com

I'm going to go to Dublin with my girlfriend so I doubt it's the best idea to stay in your house, lol.

But thank you, I like that so far. Thanks for the help to everyone!

erised said:
I've stayed at the Aston Hotel (on Aston Quay along the River Liffey) twice and also the Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar. Both are in the middle of the *action* but Blooms has a night club in the building, so if you want total peace and quiet, it might not be the best choice. :| I also remember the Blooms being a little chilly (but we were there in February so...) I personally preferred the Aston, but Blooms was cheaper. The first time I stayed at the Aston, we had a room overlooking the Liffey and it was great! :cute: I think continental breakfast was included with the Aston stay, with the option to purchase a full Irish breakfast for a few bucks more.

http://www.aston-hotel.com/

http://www.blooms.ie/

The Aston was great because it is in Temple Bar but it's not noisy at all. With the Blooms you're right in the center of Temple Bar so get to listen to all the fights on the streets, glass breaking and whatnot, plus the noise from the nightclub downstairs. And they charged extra for breakfast! The Aston would be my recommendation. :yes:

Esh...

Kinaly House Hostel is great if you don't mind it being next to Church Bells that chime LOUDly. Oh, but the breakfast is a little ropey, and it's a bit of a walk.

Glorious things are spoken of Litton Lane Hostel (very near Rhythm Records), Barnacles (right in the thick of Temple bar, so book EARLY) and Oliver Gogarty's.

oliveu2cm said:
have you stayed in a hostel before? (Just so there are no surprises... like I got. :|)
Hmmmm, I did stay in one before. What sort of surprises do you mean, Olive? :shifty:

I've never stayed at one but I've heard from friends who did that most of the time they make you work to get to stay for free or a cheap rate. They make you do things like scrub the floor and clean out the toilet, so those are not nice 'surprises' to find out about on your trip!:no:

U2Kitten said:
I've never stayed at one but I've heard from friends who did that most of the time they make you work to get to stay for free or a cheap rate. They make you do things like scrub the floor and clean out the toilet, so those are not nice 'surprises' to find out about on your trip!:no:

:confused: I backpacked all around the world staying in hostels and I never once had to clean out the toilet :lol:

I did meet some people who got themselves jobs at hostels doing the cleaning in exchange for free board - but they don't make you do it :lol::lol:

Be warned though - some hostels aren't pretty. I remember staying in a mixed dorm in Taupo, New Zealand, and the guy in the bunk above me came in at about midnight, blind drunk and nearly fell on me trying to get into bed. Then he proceeded to keep leaning out over the side of the bunk and retching. I thought he was going to throw up :barf: Even worse - my rucksack was directly in the potential vomit path :mad:

Olive, I can recommend the Abbey Hostel. You can book online, it was clean and comfy, and cheap. It was also literally w/in walking distance of EVERYTHING, right on O'Connel st. across from Temple Bar. The ladies there also are happy to book stuff for you. :up: A bed and breakfast none of 'em are, but for us poor students...and for the record, I've never had to do any chores. LOL. If you make some breakfast, you do your own dishes, that was it.

Have fun, and remember Principle Mmt. has a small green sign that is easy to walk right by. ;)

SD

I saw a tv special where ppl had to pay 20 dollars to stay in a hostel where they did have to do chores and the bed was nothing but a cot. It scared me of hostels. So does the story of bunking with the drunk puker! :yuck:

FallingStar said:

Hmmmm, I did stay in one before. What sort of surprises do you mean, Olive? :shifty:

I mean surprises like bammo2 mentioned :uhoh:

My friend and I went to Dublin & stayed in hostels, not really understanding that hostels = hostile!! ;) Really, though, we don't do well "roughing it." It's subjective, and what you want to deal with on your vacation. Me, I want to know when I pay for "2 beds" I get 2 beds, not 1 double bed. :| And I like a room that is bigger than the bed so you can walk around it or place your (heavy) suitcase in the room.

Our London hostel was the best: our shower was run on one of those knobs you push in, so that the water came down for 15 seconds at a time! And then you'd have to hit it again to get more water!! :laugh: :crazy:

Some hostels you don't have a private bathroom- if you want one, you have to specifically reserve one (which is slightly more $) on the website or wherever you order from. Also, you have to similiarly request private bedrooms, or else you may get in a position like bammo2 was in! I know many people who have shared, though, and had no problems. Just have to be very very careful with your valuables.

If you do want a private bath & private room, be warned you may get bunk beds or even a double bed. And honestly, by the time you finish paying for private bath & room, you're almost at the cost of a 2-3 star hotel!

In the end, Julie and I did what we realized we should have done all along- shelled out another $30 a day and stayed at the holiday inn!! :drool: oh we never slept so good!!!

Also you have to bring your own towels for hostel. :shame:

More stuff to go into my overstuffed suitcase = :yikes:

And (lol) be forewarned that if you are travelling in between countries (i.e. dublin-london) on a smaller airplane service (i.e. ryanair) they charge you $extra$ for heavy suitcases. :reject:

oh the memories!!

thinking of all this is making me laugh again.

Hostel_Ireland.jpg

here's a pic of my friend looking dubiously at the LAMPSHADE that hung upside down from the ceiling light. :huh: :lol:

we had that one light for the entire room and bright yellow walls. Hard to sleep if one needs the light on. And the window didn't have a screen. It got hot in there. LOL.

Seriously, it may not be all that bad for people, and it's a really cheap way to afford seeing the sites. But personally I'd rather spend the $ for a hotel.

(Bluey, I SO feel like Claudia right now :shifty: )

Back
Top Bottom