time to write Congress!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Hey, everyone, President Bush has put a proposal to send $15 billion to fight AIDS in Africa. This is the worst humanitarian crisis since the Black Death hit Europe in the fourteenth century. We can stop the modern version of the Black Death in Africa. Congress has to approve this proposal. Please write to your Congress people and Senators and ask them to vote for the proposal. If you're like me you have a vote! If you're too young or whatever to vote your opinion still matters. Make yourself heard! Please write today.:help: :help: :help:

I'm really glad Bush addressed this issue and didn't solely focus on the problems with Iraq.
*goes to write letters to congress*

brdemi said:
I'm really glad Bush addressed this issue and didn't solely focus on the problems with Iraq.
*goes to write letters to congress*

Me too. I'm pleasantly surprised. I honestly didn't think he was going to do it. I'll bet Sen. Frist had something to do with this.

and maybe Bono's letter to the editor of the Washington post the other day?

I mean, I'm sure it wasn't his reason for the $$, but maybe just maybe he decided he'd better mention it!

I'm shocked. I never thought i'd hear about Africa's plight on the SOTU address.

Every Senator has a web site. Find out who yours are and write to them. Every Congressional Representative also has a web site. Make sure you write to them.
I'm shocked at this stuff too......I never thought I'd hear this in a SOTU Address. It's cool. :cool: :cool: We need to make sure they act and this is not just rhetoric. That's be uncool. :madspit: :mad: :censored:

ah, thanks, i sould have known that's where to find the info...

The letter to thank, congratulate and hold Bush accountable for his AIDS proposal is now posted in FYM. :) Go to it ladies!

SD

hippy said:
I generally not a Bush supporter... but I'll be praying that he actually follows through with this. Wouldn't it be awesome to see something like this come through?

Me either! This is strange! Awesome, indeed! We're going to DONATE THE BUCKS and TREAT THE PEOPLE and all sorts of truly cool stuff!!
It's about saving lives. I want to save lives!!!:yes: :yes:

This is Bono's and DATA's response in case some haven't seen it!

?Wow, don?t mess with the American people... from churches, campuses, coffee shops and computers they got their message through to Washington: AIDS in Africa is an emergency. This week, the President responded. Now, he and Congress have to rapidly translate his bold vision into cash that saves lives. Africa needs the people of America to keep raising awareness of the AIDS crisis, and make sure the politicians deliver the money. AIDS is not just an unprecedented humanitarian tragedy in Africa, it?s a threat to peace and global stability everywhere.??Bono

Friends,

We had quite a night last night and you all need to be heartily congratulated. As a result of your phone calls, emails, persistence and determination- the President stood up and responded to the will of the American people. His announcement for $15 billion over the next five years is cause for celebration. We?re thrilled that the President has committed his Administration to this initiative and thrilled that he has attached a meaningful total of money to the cause.

The next step is to keep a keen eye on what happens in this next week. The President?s 2004 budget will be released on February 4th at which time we will learn more about exactly how this money will be spent. We will also begin to answer very important questions that will enable us to truly evaluate the President?s initiative. We need to find out whether this is truly all new money or if it has been taken from other foreign aid accounts. We feel quite certain that at least $2.5 billion is needed in 2004 for the AIDS crisis to make up for lost time and to kickstart the programs. We also feel strongly that a substantial amount should be directed through the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria which is a funding mechanism that draws upon global resources to fund the very best country-driven, technically reviewed proposals around the world. These are all important questions and we must strongly encourage the Administration, the Senate and the House of Representatives to ensure that the best possible and most effective mechanisms are used to deploy this money.

Keep an eye out and we?ll be back in touch once we know more about exactly what the President?s announcement means. We have won a huge battle and we truly owe it to you. We now have to make sure that these dollars we fought so hard for are used effectively and efficiently on those who need them so dearly. If we continue to work together, we really can make a difference.

Thanks again!!!

DATA

:up:

:)

:angel:

Back
Top Bottom