Throwing stuff at U2 on stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi hon!

I have not forgotten about your DVD, I just haven't had a chance, but it is coming, I promise!

and yes, to say I am busy it is a bit of an understatement. Have a ton of stuff going on with work and well, the shows :lol:

Mostly self inflicted though, so can't complain!

Glad to hear you're doing better! :hug:

Well I don't think anyone who has followed Bono since he was young, read, studied and listened to his lyrics...not to mention the things he says about his beloved Ali should be tooo suprised if their undergarments are disgusting to him....i don't think he is all about being a "sex god" or a god of any type....just comes with the territory I guess and he is good at using gestures to let his feelings be known.....I take the bra incident as..."please have some self respect and get a life" Susan

Miroslava said:
Hi hon!

I have not forgotten about your DVD, I just haven't had a chance, but it is coming, I promise!

and yes, to say I am busy it is a bit of an understatement. Have a ton of stuff going on with work and well, the shows :lol:

Mostly self inflicted though, so can't complain!

Glad to hear you're doing better! :hug:

Hi Babes.....I wasn't worried:kiss:

Just wanted to check in and let ya know I'm still alive.....Wish I could join you in your travels......just take me with you in spirit!

Still flying high from the experience.....reading Michka's book and loving Bono even more. (if that is possible)

I'll catch up next week......

As a musician who's had stuff thrown at her many times while performing (everything from crumpled-up napkins to bottles of valve oil), I can tell you that getting hit by random flying stuff NO MATTER WHO THROWS IT feels really insulting.

ArrogantU2Fan said:
Well I don't think anyone who has followed Bono since he was young, read, studied and listened to his lyrics...not to mention the things he says about his beloved Ali should be tooo suprised if their undergarments are disgusting to him....i don't think he is all about being a "sex god" or a god of any type....just comes with the territory I guess and he is good at using gestures to let his feelings be known.....I take the bra incident as..."please have some self respect and get a life" Susan

I totally agree that this boils down to a lack of respect for Bono and the rest of the band. The people who do this sure do not seem like fans to me. Do you think too much alcohol is a factor. I have been amazed to see how much people drink at concerts. Even going to get more beer during the show!!!!! It would seem that these people should have stayed at their local bar and played the jukebox.
The water throwing incident on the Slane DVD comes after Bono dedicated the song to Ali I think. Maybe I imagined that... Better watch it again! This just made it seem all the more insulting.

I can only add this to the whole scenario:

At 45 I just went to my first U2 concert on Oct. 24th in Detroit. I waited 25 years to achieve this dream and I stood in line with the rest of the loyal and dedicated fans feeling absolutely hugged by the feeling of goodwill and unity in that line that started at 8:00 AM. I stood center catwalk, one body in front of me with my daughter, and again felt surrounded by people who had one common cause.....sharing the music of a band that is beyond phenomenal.

These assholes (if I can be blatant) that are throwing things on stage at U2 concerts need to back up and go to the Motley Crue reunion tour, or I hear Poison is getting back together.....if they want to act like pissers, then go hang with the pissers.

If you really want to know Bono....and really want to get to the root of the band.....if you haven't already read "Bono", A Coversation with Michka Ayssaya". I am of course speaking to my fellow fans here on Interference, that understand and want to understand. Those of us who celebrate the opportunity to see Our "Boys" live. The rest of you bra throwin, water chucking, drunk assholes aren't intelligent enough to get it.

Thank you for affording me the opportunity to put voice to my feelings.

I'm really a very fun person (ask Miroslava), this just really ticked me off.....:mad:

People who throw things at the stage are asshats. Common sense just screams that if it's water, Bono could slip and fall and break something. Plus, it's insulting!

Would these same people hurt water (or whatever else for that matter) if they met him on the street?

Seriously?

Morons.

I'm glad that there are fans who care about U2. This group is going through a lot on this tour to bring us these shows, there are physical problems with Larry who probably still gets hooked up to that machine before every show to dull the pain, Bono probably has to take something for his back pain, and I read that earlier in the tour he was taken to the hospital with a severe headache (don't know if that's true), there have been family worries, and Bono still insists on performing even though he's been sick for almost two weeks. He is also spreading himself very thin by making speeches about poverty and making appearances between concerts. It is a great gift that we receive from them, and they are going through hell to give it to us.

This topic has been brought up before, but it's been a while and I don't feel like hunting the old threads down.

I've been on stage myself, in little theatre. You rehearse the show for a month or two, spend time building the set, blocking the movements, memorizing lines...it's a lot of work for a few shows. Then when it's showtime, you put your heart and soul into the role, bringing the story to life...

...and some philistine throws debris at you. Now, how would that make you feel? :mad:

I cannot blame Bono, or any other performer, for disliking thrown objects. At the least, it breaks the mood and spoils the pacing of the show. At worst, it can seriously hurt somebody. Ask David Bowie. That lollypop came flying too fast for him to see, let alone duck, and it lodged itself between his eyelid and eyeball. A fraction of an inch off and he would've had his eye punctured! :yikes:

Sometime's it's an act of narcissism on the thrower's part, saying, "Look at me! I'm not some bigshot star, but I can interrupt the show!" Sometimes the thrower honestly wants to give the performer a gift. Either way, throwing things just isn't cool. Put your garbage in the proper recepticle, and keep your candy for yourself. Your applause (and ticket money, of course) are all the "gift" the performers need. :)

Last edited:
Golightly Grrl said:
What these asshats need to realize is that U2 are working. Would these jerks appreciate having someone throw stuff at them while they are working?

Well said....I do not discuss this often however for 7 years i dated a English Guitarist who was quite famous....and as much as people may not want to hear this.....they are working!!! Being on tour (and i went on many, many) is exhausting same routine most everyday....get in, get hotel, whether you are staying over nite or not, rest a bit, or do radio interviews etc....go to sound check, come back rest make business calls and calls to family...call room service if you want dinner....get ready....wait till almost time for you to go on and leave for gig....come back...phone calls to girlfriends, wife, kids whatever, maybe have a bit of drink....then it all starts over the next day.....it is a VERY VERY hard life...the glamour wears of PDQ...Susan

ArrogantU2Fan said:

Well said....I do not discuss this often however for 7 years i dated a English Guitarist who was quite famous....and as much as people may not want to hear this.....they are working!!! Being on tour (and i went on many, many) is exhausting same routine most everyday....get in, get hotel, whether you are staying over nite or not, rest a bit, or do radio interviews etc....go to sound check, come back rest make business calls and calls to family...call room service if you want dinner....get ready....wait till almost time for you to go on and leave for gig....come back...phone calls to girlfriends, wife, kids whatever, maybe have a bit of drink....then it all starts over the next day.....it is a VERY VERY hard life...the glamour wears of PDQ...Susan

Then you factor in stuff U2 does that just wasn't done back in the day, like the autograph/meet and greet sessions outside the gig or the hotel, going in AND coming out. If you're not in the mood, you get badmouthed (ask Larry); if you all of a sudden have to go to the john and rush past some girl, she goes home crying -- your pee is her life trauma. Live with that. You always have to be nice, whether you are beat, have a headache, whatever, and listen to God knows what, and be embarrassed by things maybe 35 to 50% of the time. And then when something goes haywire like that ticket SNAFU, a whole bunch of people start beating their breasts and accusing the band of not giving a damn -- no, I would not want to be the boys in U2. I have other PLANS for them, but no, I would not want to be them.

hey hey hey :)
Question though.. it has been asked twice here already.
What's up with th ecell phone fear comment?
In amsterdam they wanted us to take them out and light th earena and all. Why did you hold them low?
I am really curious - I must have missed stuff :)

:wink: The only thing I'd think of throwing up onstage is a rose. But obviously not at Bono's head. I'd aim it just right so it landed right infront of him....well I'd try.

geegeelovesadam said:
As a musician who's had stuff thrown at her many times while performing (everything from crumpled-up napkins to bottles of valve oil), I can tell you that getting hit by random flying stuff NO MATTER WHO THROWS IT feels really insulting.

valve oil? do you play a brass instrument? very cool if you do ('cause I do too! :wink: )

I was at the Philly 2 show where the bra was thrown and have to say that Bono handled that situation VERY well. the only thing was when he laughed, said "oh my goodness," and threw it back, all i could think of was what if he threw it back to the wrong person? what if some pervert got it and now sniffs it every night before they go to bed? :ohmy: yeah. i don't know where i come up with these thoughts either, but it kinda bothered me for about a minute before the music started again :wink:

Swingn2thaMusic said:
I was at the Philly 2 show where the bra was thrown and have to say that Bono handled that situation VERY well. the only thing was when he laughed, said "oh my goodness," and threw it back, all i could think of was what if he threw it back to the wrong person? what if some pervert got it and now sniffs it every night before they go to bed? :ohmy: yeah. i don't know where i come up with these thoughts either, but it kinda bothered me for about a minute before the music started again :wink:

:laugh:

Lemon3 said:

valve oil? do you play a brass instrument? very cool if you do ('cause I do too! :wink: )

Yep, I play trumpet. It's the Bono of brass instruments (if you want to know why I think it is, feel free to ask to me to explain). :wink:

geegeelovesadam said:

Yep, I play trumpet. It's the Bono of brass instruments (if you want to know why I think it is, feel free to ask to me to explain). :wink:

I started out on trumpet and picked up the french horn. Believe me, I know what you mean when you say it's the Bono of brass instruments. :laugh:

bluelemon said:
:wink: The only thing I'd think of throwing up onstage is a rose. But obviously not at Bono's head. I'd aim it just right so it landed right infront of him....well I'd try.

I still wouldn't throw that. If he doesn't see it in time, he could slip on it and injure himself. I'd suggest just standing by the stage and holding it out to him; if he wants it, he'll take it.

Still better, don't waste your money. The band does not need flowers, toys, candy or anything else. And it's not just U2, this goes for any band. Those gifts usually go to charity anyway, as any band would need several warehouses to store the gifts they receive from fans. If you want to give Bono a gift, work for or contribute to one of the charities he supports. :)

i dont think its disrespectful to throw anything at all on stage.....somethings yes it is disrespectful....like the water thing for instance, or the bra! but a rose or something is ok. its meant in sentimental way, not intentionally thrown to hurt B. i suppose it could be a potential hazard if he slipped....but really he's a potential hazard to himself half of the time! (like when he fell off stage twice in the same tour in Joshua Tree era... first damaging his shoulder, then cutting his chin open....and when he used to climb to the roof of the stage in the early 80's)

it goes with the territory, theres always going to be some idiot throwing stuff at them but what can they do about it before it happens?....nothing unfortunately......of course they dont deserve it but it happens and its a shame.

Back
Top Bottom