Through The Sleet And Driving Snow : Part Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
My defenses have been putting up a good fight against the flu that seems to be going round. Thank goodness for that. Once again, thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. I still am not sure where this is going.. haha in the beginning it was just supposed to be a short story.. but well, imagination has taken hold now and there's no telling what'll happen :wink:

I know I said earlier that all the guys are single in this, but I've changed it so it's just Bono that's single. :wink:

Disclaimer: Fiction. No money made. Purely for fun. A few swears in here again.

--
The trip to the restaurant had gone pretty well. Bono had eventually relented and allowed Edge to drive. Serena had gone to sit up front, but Bono patted the back seat.

*Ah what the hell* she thought to herself *Not everyday you get Bono in the backseat of your car*

Edge had followed her directions with precision and heeded her warning to take it slower as the roads weren't exactly in top shape. He even occasionally broke his calm zen demeanor when he hit a patch of black ice. He'd stiffen up and swear under his breath. It probably didn't help that Bono continued to rib him on.

"Geez Edge, try not to kill us will ye!"

"Feck off!"

Serena couldn't help but laugh. Poor Edge was adorable when he was irritated. After fifteen minutes of straight out Bono heckling, they were parked outside the restaurant. They stood outside of the car and looked behind them expecting to see Adam and Larry pulling up beside them but they weren't there.

"Where the feck did they go?" pondered Bono

"They were right behind us, Ads was right on my arse the majority of the time. What a piss-off. Oh, wait, I think that's them now."

The large red truck pulled into the parking lot next to Serena's car.

Larry jumped out of the truck, visibly annoyed. Well, more visibly annoyed than normal.

"Jaysis, I should have come with you guys. Ads was driving like a man possessed. Just what the feck is with you tonight anyway?"

Adam shrugged "I'm hungry."

Larry gave him the death stare.

"Really hungry" and he pursed his lips blowing his breath calmly into the night air.

The place wasn't as crowded as Serena had seen it before. They chose a table in the corner by the window, she always enjoyed watching the traffic go by. Though tonight, she figured she'd most likely be keeping an eye on the four men with her. After sitting down, she noted that the girls behind the counter were whispering and one was saying "No way, here? Can't be him, you're crazy." Bono had seen Serena staring and he followed her gaze until he caught the eye of the disbelieving waitress. He let out a slow, sly smile and gestured with his index finger for her to come hither. She put her hands on her hips and walked over rather quickly.

"Yes sir?"

"Did I overhear you saying you didn't believe that I was me?"

The poor waitress looked at a loss. Now that she was closer.. this guy really looked like the real thing.

"Well, I ... " and she smacked her gum " My colleague there said that you're that guy from U2. The guy who does all that charity work.. What's his name again Miranda? Bono, yea, Bono. "

"So you don't believe her"

"Well, nnnoo.. not really. I mean why would you be here in the middle of absolute nowhere?"

"I'm hungry." and Bono got up and stood with his face inches away from the waitresses ear. The poor girl looked as though she might pass out. And really, who could blame her? "I assure you" he whispered in a sensual irish lilt. "I am the real.. deal"

And he straightened up and sat down beside Serena again.

"Alright Lads, ready to order? I'm feckin' starvin'. Alright Miss" and he read her name tag "Miss Nicole. I'll have the roast beef special, smothered in that world famous gravy"

The waitress was still in a state of flustered shock. Adam touched her hand. "Darling, are you alright?"

She shook as though to wake herself and took out her writing pad.

"Oh, yes sir.. sorry about that. Roast beef special.. and to drink?"

"Guinness. Since I have a designated driver and all, right Edge?." Poor Edge looked completely dejected, he was definitely craving a pint.

"Edge, I should be alright to drive after we eat. Go on and have a pint or three. Seriously, enjoy yourself." Serena was feeling better now, she had been a bit concerned when her head started to ache again but figured it was probably just a short circuit from the events of the day. She wanted them to have a good time, though she knew.. someone else would have to forgo the drinks. Larry was licking his lips, it wouldn't be him. Poor Ads.. but he didn't look the least bit perturbed. When the waitress asked for his order, he asked for the special as well with a mineral water. Larry went for the steak, oh it looked so good in the picture.. and he nearly drooled on the table at the sight of that pint. Serena watched as Bono and Edge waited until Larry tasted his beer before they'd even touch theirs.

Lars picked up the glass and first off, smelled it. Serena nearly laughed out loud at the sight of Mr.Mullen Jr inspecting the pint. Satisfied with the aroma, Larry took that first all important sip. He let it sit in his mouth for a few seconds, swallowed, and then licked his lips. He placed the glass back on the table.

"That's a good pint."

Upon Larry's statement, Edge and Bono took hefty sips from their drinks and then let out two collective, happy sighs.

"That is a good pint, not Dublin quality.. but it's not bad!" said B.

"So, Adam.. what exactly delayed your getting here?"

Adam pointed to a mounted animal head on the far wall. Serena smiled.

"Ah, had a run in with a moose did you"

"Nearly" Adam stated plainly.

"Nearly!" Nearly?! Serena he was speeding and this huge arsed black monster crossed in front of us. Honest to god, I could see his nose hairs." Poor Larry, he was suffering from his first moose encounter.. and at high speed at that. She patted him lightly on the shoulder.

"It's alright.. it's over now" she said. " Something you'll have to get used to around these parts, lots of moose.. and they always seem to cross the road when you least expect it. Can really give you a start. I know I've had a few close calls where I've had to pull over afterwards and catch my breath."

Larry smiled at Serena's reassurance. He really had been scared. Something that didn't happen often to a guy like him. This was a nice restaurant, he was glad they came here. He was feeling better after the nap, but still had to admit to being quite knackered. After all, this had been one hell of a day. He didn't want to ask her if they could stay the night, but was hoping secretly that Bono or one of them would. It was close and they wouldn't have to search out a decent hotel. They really had planned NOTHING on this trip. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Here comes the grub, guys" Serena declared after hearing Bono's stomach let out a rather long grumble. *And not a moment too soon* she thought. They looked like kids at Christmas at the size of the portions.

"Oh sweet dear delicious..."

"FOOD!"

They dug in fairly quickly and then Bono stopped.

"Wait, wait. I almost forgot. We should do grace." The mayhem stopped while B bowed his head and spoke a quick and to the point prayer. Upon finishing he winked and proclaimed that now they could continue to gorge themselves. They really were hungry, going at the food like they hadn't eaten in a week.

"Guys" she started

"Whath isht dear"

"For feck sakes Bono, finishing chewing before you speak." Edge snarked.

Bono gulped and swallowed. "Sorry about that love, what did you want to say?"

"I just wanted to let you know there's no need to rush through your meal. You can take your time. I know you're all really hungry, but if you eat too fast you'll all have stomach aches."

Bono raised his eyebrows.

"Who's the doctor now, eh? You're right, of course." and he took a long and intentionally loud sip of his beer that could be heard down into the store part of the restaurant. Serena laughed. "You know" he continued "I've really enjoyed today."

Serena rolled her eyes.

"No seriously I have, and I don't mean it to sound morbid or anything.. but I think fate sometimes works in mysterious ways. We were meant to meet Serena. And we'll never forget how we met her for sure. And that bit of business with the jam this after.. that was magic. Pure magic."

"I missed that part" frowned Larry.

Edge whipped out his trusty recorder and waved it in front of Larry's eyes.

"No worries Lars... all taken care of. Have a listen." He passed the recorder over to Lars who pressed play and turned the volume up so everyone could hear. Serena blushed slightly, even though she wasn't singing she felt strangely self conscious listening to the song. She looked over at Bono and he was sitting back in his chair, eyes closed and listening.

"Bloody hell, that was actually half decent. Why can't you come up with something like that in studio?" ribbed Larry.

Bono sighed "Probably because you arses are always breathing down my neck 'write something interesting Bono, write something poignant.. jeez. I don't know where that came from.. that melody that Serena was playing.. my mind just was filled with lyrics. Did you just come up with that right then, Seren?"

She wanted to say that she did, but resigned herself to the truth. "No, it's a melody I've had in my head for years.. and I never could find the appropriate lyrics to fit it. I always figured it would stay as an instrumental ditty that I would play from time to time.. nothing more. I'm honoured that Bono was inspired to write lyrics though. And so fast too!"

"That's what all the ladies say" quipped Larry

"What?"

"That you're so fast in the..."

"DESSERT. Let's have some dessert. What do you say love, will you split a strawberry cheesecake slice with me?" He winked deviously at her. Oh right, like she could resist that. She was only human after all. She nodded.

"Yes, I suppose so.. but be warned.. I can be quite ravenous when it comes to cheesecake. How about the rest of you.. want dessert. Get whatever you want.. remember it's my treat."

"Not this again" sighed Bono.

"I know Irish folks are stubborn, but let me tell you.. I'm just as stubborn. You won't get me to budge on this issue." They were all silent for a moment as the other lads studied the dessert menus.

"Oh, I'm sure you'll find that I'll win on this one dear." he whispered in her ear. She shuddered slightly. She really hoped he hadn't seen that, but there was that twinkle again. Yea, he knew. What an arse he could be!

--

The cheesecake was everything Serena loved about it. Sweet, smooth and delicious. Though she had initially protested to the fact that the waitress only brought one fork she went to grab for one when Edge said it was no use and just to give in. So she did, she let Bono feed her freaking cheesecake. Oh man, she was definitely going to get a thank you card in the shop and send it to the plow driver now. Seriously, the man should get a raise! Then she realized she'd have to feed him as well, and oh.. double the thrill. Watching him it savour it, though she figured he was likely over-acting it a bit to see her response.. which as a single, female was the expected one. She suddenly became very flushed.

"Check please" she said to the passing waitress in a move to break the tension. She whispered to the waitress to let her pay and no matter what ignore the fact that Bono said he would pay. She was determined to get this. The waitress smiled and nodded and went off to get the check.

"So guys, did that fill your stomachs."

"That was, everything you said it would be Serena, thank you." Adam politely remarked.

Larry had been quiet for the last little bit. Serena thought maybe the dessert was wreaking havoc with his stomach.

"Are you alright Larry, you're awful quiet."

Larry looked up. "Oh yes, I'm fine."

"Come on Lars, spill, what's the matter. Is that chocolate explosion exploding in your guts now or what?" said Edge.

"We haven't a hotel lined up for tonight yet. I was wondering if..." and he seemed quite shy and almost embarrassed when he went to ask. Serena thought it was so adorable and sweet.

"Of course you guys can stay the night. It won't be five star quality I'm afraid, but I'd be very happy to be your host for awhile longer. It's the least I can do"

Larry loosened up and finished off his pint. "Thanks Serena."

The waitress returned with the check and handed it discreetly to Serena. "Thanks"

"I'll take that thanks" said Bono and he made a grab at the check.

But Serena was quick and wiggled it away from him.

"Nope, I told you.. not going to happen. I'm getting this. My province, my truckstop, my money!"

"Serena" Edge said "It's like the dessert"

"I am not giving in!" she said sternly.

The other three were sitting back in their seats, with wide grins watching the entertainment B and Serena were providing. They knew what was coming next, and were curious to see how she would deal with it. Bono moved closer to Serena.. and she in turn tried to move farther away but her chair bumped into the wall. She stuck the check inside her shirt. Ah ha, she thought, he won't dare reach in there. He wouldn't do such a thing to someone he just me..... and all of a sudden her thoughts started melting. Bono had moved closer again and then pounced. He kissed her hot and fast, beyond the realm of logical thought. Oh he knew exactly what he was doing. At the same time he picked the check out of the top of her shirt and then pulled back slightly, staring into her big brown eyes.

"I have my ways, sweetheart. I always get my way." A Macphisto grin then. But it didn't scare her any longer. She wished that she wasn't in a public place because the urge was certainly strong to return the surprise to B.

"Yea, but Bono, usually they pass out. You have to give the girl some credit. She's still conscious! You are conscious aren't you dear?" queried Adam.

Serena tried to get her brain back into working order, which was proving to be quite difficult. "I.. uhm, geez, "

*Stop panting, stop panting for cripes sakes* she thought.

"You may be conscious darling, but you aren't coherent are you." he slipped the check back into her hand and then ran his fingers down her cheek. He looked immensely pleased with himself.

"How about a compromise. You pay the check, we'll get the tip."

Still in the haze of euphoria, Serena conceded. "That, I can deal with."

She gathered up her jacket and wandered up to the cash to pay while the boys sorted out the tip. She went to the adjoined store and bought that thank you card she was meaning to. Soon, they all joined her and they headed out to start the journey back to her house.

Back at the table, the once disbelieving waitress couldn't get her head around the tip left at the table. One hundred dollars... at each place setting. And a placemate sat in the centre. Signed by all of them and the 'real' Bono.

BeLIEve

Last edited:
:cute: aww it's so cute... and Bono's one handsome little devil :evil:

just to point out if you didn't know yet, Larry is actually a vegetarian..

I love it!!!

And Bono a single ... hmm.... do I feel something coming along?!

Very sweet story, also quite funny.

Cannot wait for more.

:drool:

last unicorn said:
And Bono a single ... hmm.... do I feel something coming along?!
:drool:

hope so too :cute:

the story is coming out very fast and good, it's a pleasure reading it :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom