Through The Sleet And Driving Snow Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
Here we go again. Some suggestive stuff going on at the start and some swearing again. I'm beginning to get more and more ideas for this so who knows how long it'll go on for. If it starts getting too sappy, tell me, and I'll throw a good dose of angst in for good measure :wink:

Disclaimer: Purely a work of fiction. Merely a way to pass the winter quicker. No profit. Don't know the lads and Larry Mullen has never offered to shovel my driveway. Well, yet anyway.

--
Bono laid his suitcase down next to the bed. He'd just got home from the airport and was completely knackered. His mansion loomed dark and empty when he opened the door. A frustrated sigh escaped from his lips. Here he was, back home and he was feeling pretty miserable. The flight had been slow and boring and all he could do was think of the tears streaming down her face before he left. He felt like a right git. He hated his schedule now, being tied down to a schedule. He was wanted everywhere for every moment of the day. Not that he minded that, he knew it came with the territory. He got himself undressed and crawled underneath the duvet. Too big of a bed to be in alone. Too big of a house to be in alone. When would this torture end? He settled his head into the pillow and wished for sleep to stop his talkative mind.

"Oh sweet Serena, what have you done to me?" he whispered before he drifted off.

At opposite ends of the Atlantic Ocean, two lonely souls were asleep. Two lonely souls were dreaming, about each other. In their imagination at least, they were together. Their restless hearts slowed, their worrying minds were not worried any longer. For at least in this state of rest, they were together. In one dream, the girl was dreaming she was walking with the blue-eyed boy but seemed oblivious to the fact that the forest they were walking through was made of jello. In the other dream, the boy was dreaming about what boys usually dream about. If his dream were to have a movie like rating, it would have been an R for certain. He was wrapped up in the arms of the one he was missing. He wasn't alone. He felt whole. He whispered her name nearly constantly through the dream. He could feel her hands, feel her racing heartbeat against his chest, see her mouthing his name, pleading him to be with her. The passion was nearing the boiling point. 'I'll never leave you' he kept saying. She just kept looking at his eyes, her hands hot against his skin. Every time she ever so much as grazed her fingers across his skin, he felt like he would combust from her touch. Then she was everywhere, within and without, one with him and he was complete. He screamed her name.

Bono bolted upright in the bed. The sheets falling to his waist, his chest still heaving. Sweat was dripping off his chin and onto the bedspread. He went to put his arms around the one in the dream, but as he became more aware of being awake, he knew that she was not beside him.

"Serena" his voice was a mere whisper. Nearly a whimper. He pushed the sheets aside and headed towards the bathroom. He flicked on the light and looked at himself. His hair was plastered to his face and sweat made his face and chest gleam against the too bright lights. He turned on the water and cupped his hands under the tap, then washed the cold water over his face. What was he doing? Having dreams like that about a woman he'd literally just met. But she wasn't like the others. He knew it and he truly believed that she knew it too. He hoped, prayed that she did. He grabbed the towel from the rack and dried off his face before throwing the it to the corner of the bathroom and wandering back to sit on the edge of the bed. The red digits on the clock read six thirty. The sun was just beginning to make its ascent into the oddly clear Dublin sky. Bono ached to sleep but opted instead to go and make some coffee instead. He'd surprise the lads today, show up at HQ early. He longed to hear her voice, but knew that she'd likely be sleeping now. He'd call her later on, once he calculated the time difference. Couldn't be much. Three, maybe four hours behind Dubtime.

--

The light pooled through the window and spilled onto Serena's dark green blanket. She was curled up in a tight ball, she looked like a centipede did when it was in defense mode. Well, spare for the fact that she didn't have a hundred legs and all. The letter had fallen from her grasp and was on the floor now. She had fallen asleep after having a happy cry from reading Bono's words. Then she'd drifted into her very strange dreamland. But there were no nightmares this time. She'd been walking with him, Bono, through a woodland trail under a starlit sky. It was so simple and yet so precious that when she was nearing consciousness she kept trying to return to the dream instead of waking up. A futile effort of course, for soon the sun was shining in her eyes like a spotlight as though beckoning her to return to the waking world. She opened her eyes slightly and could hardly see for the glare in her eyes. She huffed, got up and closed the curtains enough so that she was no longer blinded.

"Blinded by the light" she started singing, playing it up quite a bit. Her voice growing louder as she began ad libbing the rest of the song. "Something something, Bono frikkin likes me. Oh my frikkin crap. Lester the lobster ain't got nothing on me"

It was then that the doorbell rang and Serena nearly jumped through the ceiling.

"Fuck!"

She looked over at the clock. 9am. Who the hell was at the door at nine in the morning? Were the Jehovah Witnesses trying to find a new way to annoy people? Not that she was ever rude to them. No. Last time the empty hornet nest over the door kept them at bay. Serena hadn't told them that it was empty. Actually, she thought, that was probably still there. Would her invisible hornet guard come to her rescue yet again?

DING! DONG!

Apparently not.

Serena flung on a moth eaten housecoat and trudged downstairs. Judging from the window, there was a young whippersnapper in a uniform on the other side. Nice looking. Who doesn't love a bit of eye candy for breakfast? She opened the door.

"Miss Melvin?"

"That'd be me"

"These are for you, special delivery" and he produced a large, beautiful bouquet of flowers with a small box.

"But we've just met"

The deliveryman smiled awkwardly and held out an electronic signing thingamajigger, which Serena signed while looking wide eyed at the flowers.

"Thanks very much" she said "Safe driving"

"Thanks." The deliveryman gathered up his electronic gadgetry and walked his fine arse back to his truck.

Serena took the bouquet and box upstairs. No one had ever sent her flowers before. They were lovely, and so fresh. She turned them round and round and discovered a small card. These things usually came with cards didn't they? Inside there was a message that had been printed out.

'In the maze of my imagination
I couldn't keep my mind away
From the thought of you and I
Hope you have a beautiful day, sweetheart'

-Bono

Then the phone rang, startling poor Serena once more! She picked up the receiver while still holding the flowers in the other hand.

"Hello?" she tried to not sound groggy but it wouldn't matter how hard she tried. She'd always sound groggy in the morning."

A chuckle.

"Did the delivery boy wake you? Sorry about that love."

Bono. He had gone to Hanover Quay at 7am. The earliest ever and of course, none of the other lads were even going to be there until at least 11am. He'd been bored stiff, so he decided he'd have some fun. Send some flowers and maybe something extra.

"No, no. I was awake. Err, well, waking up."

"Dreaming about me were you? If you thought I'd wear you out in dreamland, wait till you get the real thing darling."

Serena rolled her eyes.

"Thank you for the flowers Bono, they're lovely. It's a first, actually." she said, changing the subject quickly.

"For what?"

"It's the first time anyone has sent me flowers. Oh and I loved the little poem too."

"Have you opened the box yet?"

The box.

"No, I just got up the stairs when you rang."

"Well, open it then!"

"Isn't this call going to cost an awful lot?"

Bono laughed.

"Honey, just open the box."

"Okay, just a sec, I'll have to put the phone down."

He could hear muffled sounds of her setting down the flowers and then he heard her swear. Several times. She'd stubbed her toe on the rocking chair.

After sitting down for a few seconds and rubbing her toe, she carried the box over the table and picked up the phone again.

"I have the box."

"Are you okay? I heard some rather unladylike words coming from you."

"I'm fine, I just am extra clumsy in the morning." She sighed. "Okay, I'm going to open this."

Serena opened the small blue box and gasped at what was inside. Bono, who was staring out the large windows of the studio at the water, smiled.

"You like it?"

She held the necklace out to look at it. It was gorgeous, beautiful. A silver chain that linked onto a solid red heart with white lettering that said Desi(red).

"It's beautiful. Too beautiful for a plain jane rural gal like me."

He scoffed.

"Honey, you know, it kind of irritates me when you put yourself down. That's a special edition. One of a kind that. Just like you."

She could feel tears welling up in her eyes.

"Thank you." she said shakily. "So, did you have a good flight back?"

"Oh, it was fine. Long, dull, and boring though. Now I'm here at the studio, early for the first time ever and I'm bored out of my head. I'm going to be in trouble when Edge gets here. I started tinkering with one of his preamp thingies and I think I seriously messed it up. I'm really hoping he doesn't notice."

Serena laughed. "You know the odds of him not noticing are about none to none."

"Yep, I know." he paused briefly, allowing a deep breath to fill his lungs and then releasing it.

"I hope this doesn't sound too sappy, but I miss ya." He wanted so to tell her of the dream he'd had... and the fact that he couldn't get any proper rest, but that could wait for now.

Serena grinned.

"Do you miss me or my cookies more?"

"Hmmm. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Lawrence! What the hell took you so long?"

She could hear them talking and then Larry asking when Bono had arrived and sounding very surprised at B's response.

"Ah, well dear.. I've got to go for now. The lads want to try and get some work done. Might even tinker with that little ditty that arose in your living room."

What a memory to have, Serena thought.

"Alright Bono, thank you so much for the flowers and the necklace. Hope you have a good day, and have fun dealing with Edge when he finds out that you were screwing around with his technical gadgets!"

"Cheeky! I'll call again later, alright dear. Shut up Larry!"

Serena burst out laughing. She could hear Larry ribbing him about all the pet names he'd been calling her.

"Okay Bono. Bye."

"Bye honey"

Serena set down the phone and went in search of a vase or something to set the flowers in. After finding a suitable glass canister she placed them at the center of the table, rotating them several times to find the best side. She closed her eyes as she breathed in their fragrance. There was a tiny hint of lilac, it reminded her of spring, so lovely. She pulled out a chair beside the table and sat down. She was beaming! Now this was the proper way to wake up in the morning!

--

dianepm said:
oh..and raven..there's always email for the more naughty parts of this story :evil:

Haha. Well unfortch I've never been very good at writing about 'the deed' in detail. Although the next chapter should make you folks smile I'm sure :evil:

I'm just going to go back and examine some other fics to see how much is too much for on here :wink:

Last edited:
find...what the hell was that called now....ummm...it's by U2bonogirl and it went to chapter 6 when it got nailed for being too much.

Ha. Just looked for it. It's on page 60. It's called Can't Live With or Without You. The last chapter is where it got stopped. That will show you what's too much.

Back
Top Bottom