Those NFL commercials are gonna drive me insane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
it makes me crazy to continually hear UTEOTW on those NFL commercials....like I'm in another room, and I hear it and am compelled to RUN BACK into the living room, and *oh RATS* it sone of those stupid commericals again...blargh.

I don't know what I'm expecting to see, but since UTEOTW is one of my fave U2 songs, I keep *hoping* to see the boys in some way shape or form....

frown.gif

Oh AMEN Disco!!! I start playing air drums along with Larry and scream "U2!!!, U2!!!"
They shouldn't sell their songs. They are too good for commercials!!!

It was just last year I heard that the band was a little hurt that no one ever asked to use their songs for shows. So now they have the NFL! I get it-

UTEOTW- lose in the playoffs, it's the END!

Desire- everyone wants that Super Bowl Ring!

Elevation- rise to the occasion!

But for some team it will always be....Sunday Bloody Sunday
wink.gif

U2 + NFL = a cool combination!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

I hear ya, Disco... I was sitting on the couch eating dinner last night, and I was staring kind of blankly at the tv, suddenly I yelped (YELPED!) at the screen and my boyfriend says, "what?" I just looked at him and mumbled, "oh nothing... just saw something on tv." He said, "must have been U2."

If only he knew.
biggrin.gif
It was Edge and Bono playing from what looked like the Elevation DVD. RAWR.

Moonie
biggrin.gif

P.S... there was a funny post on one of the U2 mailing lists of just such an occurence... of a U2 fan in another room and a U2 snippet on TV... it was so funny... here it is:

Does anyone else find these new ads on Fox extremely annoying in that you're cleaning the bathroom or folding laundry or digging for something under the bed when you suddenly hear a few beats of "Desire" and drop the toilet cleaning brush or throw your clean socks on the floor or bash the back of your head on the rails of the bed as the thought "oh, no, U2 is on television and I've either forgotten about the appearance (raising questions about my allegiance to the band) or did not know about this at all (raising questions about how something possibly slipped past my fellow obsessives on the internet)" and start to dash madly across the house only to reach the television as the last strains of a harmonica find you staring at the screen, winded, your once-aroused hopes now spoiled by the realization that there is no unscheduled, unannounced, impromptu concert being broadcast (and with a full band "Desire" no less), but that, rather, it is only Fox running that football ad again.

This was *the* funniest post because it's so freakin' true.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

yeah, the commercials are already driving me insane. I was getting laundry together last night and heard the TV in the other room playing UTEOTW. I laughed to myself because I almost threw the laundry down to catch what was on tv and then realized it was an nfl commerical at that point I really did said to myself "these commericals are going to drive me insane." Than that is all i kept overhearing last night during every commerical break, a U2 song. I thought i would give myself a break from PLEBA and U2 last night, but after hearing the commericals over and over, I gave in and watched Entropy and logged onto PLEBA.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
P.S... there was a funny post on one of the U2 mailing lists of just such an occurence... of a U2 fan in another room and a U2 snippet on TV... it was so funny... here it is:

Does anyone else find these new ads on Fox extremely annoying in that you're cleaning the bathroom or folding laundry or digging for something under the bed when you suddenly hear a few beats of "Desire" and drop the toilet cleaning brush or throw your clean socks on the floor or bash the back of your head on the rails of the bed as the thought "oh, no, U2 is on television and I've either forgotten about the appearance (raising questions about my allegiance to the band) or did not know about this at all (raising questions about how something possibly slipped past my fellow obsessives on the internet)" and start to dash madly across the house only to reach the television as the last strains of a harmonica find you staring at the screen, winded, your once-aroused hopes now spoiled by the realization that there is no unscheduled, unannounced, impromptu concert being broadcast (and with a full band "Desire" no less), but that, rather, it is only Fox running that football ad again.

This was *the* funniest post because it's so freakin' true.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

LMAO!!!! This is one of the many reasons I have taken to not watching television all that much! I don't think I could handle the tension all the time!
biggrin.gif

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Yikes...you guys are right about the NFL promos drving people insane! I first heard them during last Sunday's football coverage. The thing is... I was in a sporting goods store at the time, trying on ice skates! Do you know how hard it is not to jump up and start doing the Bono-the-bull routine in the middle of the store, especially when you are (poorly)balancing on two thin strips of metal?!

*sigh* Being a U2 fan can be challenging sometimes!

------------------
BP: Who put the Ram in the Ramalama Ding Dong?

BONO: Paul McCartney.
LARRY: Ya What???
EDGE: I don't know but it wasn't me.
ADAM: Santa Claus.

--Interview with BP Fallon, 1993

L-0-freakin-L!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
This is hilarious, and they hit it RIGHT on the head, that's exactly what I'm thinking (all within a nanosecond, of course) when I heard that Edgie UTEOTW guitar or Desire on thos stupid commercials. WHY OH WHY did they have to sell those two pertickaler songs to the NFL fer cryin out loud???
frown.gif

drop the toilet cleaning brush or throw your clean socks on the floor or bash the back of your head on the rails of the bed as the thought "oh, no, U2 is on television and I've either forgotten about the appearance (raising questions about my allegiance to the band) or did not know about this at all (raising questions about how something possibly slipped past my fellow obsessives on the internet)" and start to dash madly across the house only to reach the television as the last strains of a harmonica find you staring at the screen, winded, your once-aroused hopes now spoiled by the realization that there is no unscheduled, unannounced, impromptu concert being broadcast (and with a full band "Desire" no less), but that, rather, it is only Fox running that football ad again.

so true...LOL....

I was sitting on the couch eating dinner last night, and I was staring kind of blankly at the tv, suddenly I yelped (YELPED!) at the screen

OMG, I totally did that too - YELPED is right, along with a nice loud neighbor-questioning, "WOO HOO!!!" Those boys bring out the wild child in me....

Yeah, I hear ya Disco! Everytime I hear UTEOTW on TV, I instantly snap to attention.
Then I swear, lol. Dammit, just that commercial again!

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

And to complicate the problem further, while being forced to watch the playoffs tonight (though I took sick pleasure out of watching the Raiders play in the coliseum RIGHT next to the staduim I saw the Elevation Tour in... sigh... oh, right, back on topic) I heard the UTEOFTW, and then there was an ad to win a trip to some exotic, humid South Seas destination and they played "In God's Country."

I guess they're just getting us ready for the Super Bowl?

L-0-freakin-L!!!! This is hilarious, and they hit it RIGHT on the head, that's exactly what I'm thinking (all within a nanosecond, of course) when I heard that Edgie UTEOTW guitar or Desire on thos stupid commercials. WHY OH WHY did they have to sell those two pertickaler songs to the NFL fer cryin out loud???

I heard Ozzie Osbourne's Crazy Train during the Raiders game. U2 are not the only ones. Also remember We Will Rock You by Queen has been used for years! U2 are in good company!
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Autumn454 (edited 01-13-2002).]

I'll tell you what is really sad- I heard "Taxman" (Beatles song written and sung by the recently late George Harrison) in the background of an H and R Block commercial! Now that is tasteless!

BTW don't forget Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles' songs Paul or Ringo are not to blame.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Autumn454 (edited 01-13-2002).]

They never fail to accelerate my heart rate when I'm on the computer and hear them in the next room. It is not U2- it is not U2- well so it IS U2 but they're not there, y'know
wink.gif

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

*bump* *grind*
biggrin.gif
This lovely bumping is due to the fact that my favorite football team, the Green Bay Packers, won their playoff game today! And of course for the fact that I heard Desire and UTEOTW about 7 times while watching it! YAY!
smile.gif

------------------
The Proud Owner of the ONLY Cardboard Larry!!!

September, streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain...shards of glass splinters like rain...but you could only feel your own pain... October, talking getting nowhere...November, December, remember. This will never happen again.

I bang things for a living! ~Larry

I get excited every time those commercials are on. But instead of getting mad, I take the opportunity to play air drums or groove a little bit before resuming whatever I was doing.

At the end of the commercial, a voice should come on and say, "As you were..."
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by Autumn454:
I'll tell you what is really sad- I heard "Taxman" (Beatles song written and sung by the recently late George Harrison) in the background of an H and R Block commercial! Now that is tasteless!

Ditto--that pisses me off!!!

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

Back
Top Bottom