This Aint a Love Song pt 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
Disclaimer: a figment of my imagination on caffine

Later I’m cuddling with Edge on the couch while we supposedly watch a movie, just no one ask me what the plot is.

Suddenly the TV is off and Daryl’s sitting on the coffee table in front of us.

“Do you mind?” I ask.

He smirks. “Well it didn’t look like you were doing much TV watching if you ask me.”

I don’t bother denying it. “What do you want anyway?”

“I have a plan.”

“For what?” Edge asks.

“He thinks he can catch the person who’s trying to kill you,” Bono cuts in. He’s watching Edge closely as if trying to find any sign that he’s still as troubled as he was earlier but is having no success. Though I have a feeling there’s going to be a long conversation between the two of them later.

“What’s the plan?” I ask pulling away from Edge so that I can give Daryl my full attention.

“We have to set up a similar situation to the one from the fire, or at least we have to make it appear that way. So all the security has to move to the venue when we go there in the afternoon and Bono goes back to his conference and the band appears to go to an interview. Edge meanwhile comes back here under the illusion of him not feeling well. However we keep some security hidden nearby with access to video monitors showing the footage from the security cameras on this floor. Then when who ever shows up they can jump out and get him.”

“I don’t see why I have to go back to New York,” Bono says grumpily.

“Because we need you out of the way. The rest of us could legitimately go to an interview, security could legitimately all go to the arena but you’d still be there and it would look suspicious if you didn’t accompany your friend back to the hotel. What we need for this to work is Edge to be completely alone because that will be what draws this person out. They may not strike if they know someone else is with him.”

When Bono opens his mouth to protest Edge cuts him off. “Bono, I want this guy caught more then anyone else does and I think what he’s saying makes a lot of sense.”

“What security are we going to use?” I ask Daryl in order to stop any kind of argument from Bono.

“I already talked to Kyle.” Kyle is Daryl’s personal security guard who had served in the armed forces before the police force and had just recently switched to being a personal security guard.

“Actually I ran this plan by him before telling you guys, and he’s volunteered to head the team staying here and he said he’d hand pick the best guys he can find.”

“I’m impressed,” I tell him. “Normally you’re planning isn’t half this good.”

He sticks his tongue out at me. “Well I’d rather we catch this guy so our lives can go back to normal.”

“Meaning you want to get rid of the extra security,” I say.

He nods. “Pretty much.”

The next afternoon I’m waiting nervously for my phone to ring with news as I sit with Troubled Offspring in the back of a coffee shop. They didn’t actually have an interview today, which had made it difficult to make it appear like they did. We’d been careful to tell as few people as possible about the plan, even though we didn’t think anyone on the crew had anything to do with it given that they would have had plenty of opportunities to get Edge and hadn’t.

Jamming my hands into my pockets in attempt to find something to do with my nervous energy my fingers come into contact with a napkin. Frowning I pull it out of my pocket only to realise that it’s the lyrics that Daryl’s been working on. It takes me a moment to decipher his messy scrawl, which reads:

“I’m not a bleeding heart
And romantics I scorn
But when you’re not around
Why do I feel forlorn
I hate sappy ballads
And love-at-first-sight talk
So why do you always
Make that all seem for naught”

“Is that my lyric?” Daryl asks looking over at me.

“Yeah,” I reply handing him the napkin. “I picked them up off the table yesterday morning and completely forgot about it.”

“Well that’s good news, especially since I was thinking I’d lost them.”

“Is that part of the song you’ve been working on?”

“I think so, but I need a good chorus that’s able to tie and the parts together and I haven’t been able to come up with one I like.”

We’re cut off from further discussion when my cell phone rings. I pick it up immediately. “Hello?”

“Hey, Beth, it’s Kyle. We got him, and Edge is fine.”

I let a breath that I hadn’t realised I was holding. “We’ll be back in a few minutes then,” I tell him before hanging up.

When we arrive at the hotel moments later just a head of a pair of police cars.

Kyle is holding the much smaller guy tightly and as I study the man with the bloody face I can’t help but feel a sort of eerie familiarity. I find out why a moment later.

“His names Daniel Rashtaban and Beth’s mom tutored him,” Kyle explains to the police and I. “He developed a crush on her sometime during high school and was encouraged by you’re mom to ask her out but she ignored him. He kept in contact with her mother over the years and then when she was making such a big stink about Beth marrying Edge he decided to take matters into his own hands and get rid of Edge.”

I frown. “I remember him, vaguely. He always seemed a little odd and unbalanced to me.”

“Unbalanced defiantly the word.” Then he hands a shotgun to the police. “He came in with this.”

I turn away from the police and make my way over to Edge. “You alright?”

“Yeah. He scarred the crap out of me when he came in with that though, luckily he didn’t really seem to know how to use it and Kyle was there before he got a chance to figure it out.”

“I didn’t think he’d have a gun,” says Daryl running a hand through his hair. “I never would have suggested it if I’d thought that. I thought he try to do something that made it look like an accident again.”

“So did the rest of us,” Edge replies, but I have a feeling that behind his calm reassurances to Daryl he’s actually more shaken then the rest of us.

Reaching over I give him a tight hug. “Well you’re okay, and that’s what matters.”

Later that night we’re having a party in Daryl’s room to celebrate both the end of this leg of the tour and the capture of Edge’s attacker. Daryl’s put on a strange selection of softer music I didn’t even know he listened to, let alone owned.

“Daryl, can we put on better music?” I holler across the room to him from where I’m sitting on Edge’s lap.

“I thought you’d want to hear some kind of romantic music, given you’re getting married shortly.”

“I don’t like ballads, I’ve never liked them and I don’t think that’s going to change soon. So lets put on good music.”

“You know,” Seb comments. “For someone who is willing to turn the world upside down for the person that they love, you sure are the anti romantic.”

Suddenly Daryl jumps up and runs across the room to his note pad. “I know how to finish my song!”

“What?” I ask bemused.

“Never mind, put on any music you want, I have a song to finish.”

Back
Top Bottom