This Aint a Love Song pt 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
Disclaimer: fiction, every last drop

“I’m looking for Beth Vickers,” he says.

“That’s me,” I reply feeling more frightened then I have in a long time.

He studies me for a moment, then looks around the room as if to ask who I trust to be here. The hotel manager quickly assesses the situation and leaves taking Christine with her and shutting the door behind her.

“What do you need?” I ask the police officer.

“I need you to identify someone,” he replies.

I try hard to swallow down my nervousness. “Who?”

“Someone who we suspect is you’re boyfriend. There was an accident between a transport truck and a taxi and he was in it. He’s alright, but he’s not talking to us, nor is he carrying any identification, and until he’s identified the hospital can’t release him.”

The police officer looks annoyed by the entire thing and I don’t know weather I should be relieved or worried. “I’ll come down,” I tell him careful not to give away that I don’t know anything about Edge weird behaviour.

Bono and Daryl come as well which only causes more looks of annoyance from the cop, but he’s smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

It’s a quiet car ride to the hospital, Daryl drives and keeps a look of intense concentration the entire time. I have a feeling that he’s thinking what I am, that someone tried to kill Edge just there, but I can’t tell if he’s also worried about Edge’s odd behaviour.

I follow the cop to one of the rooms where Edge is sitting staring out the window.

“Hey,” I say softly walking towards him and he turns to look at me.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’ve been looking for you because I was worried,” I tell him taking a seat beside him. “What happened?”

He looks away from me again. “I wanted to keep a low profile for a while, so no one else got hurt. Except it didn’t work because someone else died.”

“What?”

“The taxi driver,” he says softly. “He was killed when the truck hit us.”

No wonder he didn’t want to talk, first the fire now this. Then I become aware that the cop’s still standing in the doorway.

“Come on, lets go back to the hotel and talk there.” I pause. “Bono’ll be glad to see you anyway.”

He looks confused. “What’s Bono doing here?”

“He came when he found out you were missing.”

“You know him then?” the cop interrupted.

“Yes,” I reply feeling irritated.

“Then you’ll need to sign off on it so he can leave.”

“Why don’t you have any ID on you anyway?” I ask Edge.

“My wallet went missing. I blacked out after we got hit and when I woke up it was gone.”

Someone is trying really hard to get rid of him and trying even harder to keep it looking like an accident, I think feeling disturbed.

Bono tries to get Edge to tell him what happened the whole way back, but other then getting a look of surprise when he mentions that we know about the letter, Edge doesn’t seem to hear him.

I put a call through to Paul when we get back to let him know we found Edge and as I hang up I become aware of an argument in the other room between Bono and Daryl.

“Just leave it be,” Daryl’s saying. “Come with me to the concert and let them sort it out.”

“He’s my friend and if there’s something seriously wrong I’d like to know what and why.”

“He and Beth are getting married in a week, plus this whole thing has to do with her so I think she should be the first one to speak with him.”

“She’s been here the whole time…”

“Yeah, and none of us realised what was going on. Now we know give her a chance before you sit down with him.”

“I’ve known him longer.”

“Yeah, well that helped you a lot in the car when you were trying to get answers from him. If he doesn’t want to talk to you, he wont talk to you. But Beth should get a chance first.”

“You think that because she’s you’re friend.”

“No, I think that because it has to do with her and because she loves him and because if he took off to protect her originally it means he really loves her. So give her a chance, then you can run at the mouth.”

Bono’s scowling but he agrees and leaves with Daryl.

I walk into the bedroom where Edge is lying on his back staring at the ceiling.

“I don’t suppose they realise that I could hear everything they said.”

I chuckle and sit down beside him. “Daryl might have suspected it, but I don’t think it occurred to Bono. Do you feel like telling me what this was all about, or do you just want to leave it be?”

Edge sits up slowly. “Might as well, I suppose. Ever since the night of the fire I’ve been receiving notes that tell me to stay away from you, they were always written in stencil, so I figured there was no way to trace who ever had done it by their writing. I assumed that it was you’re mother and I didn’t want to worry you with it. Then last night when I received the threat I panicked. The only thing I could think of was getting out of here in order to protect you and everyone else.”

“You weren’t really asleep last night when I came in, were you?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “I was faking, I’d figured it was better to wait for you to go to sleep instead of trying to leave before you came back.”

Leaning over I kiss him softly. “I wouldn’t have minded if you’d told me.”

With a sigh he looks away. “I was worried what you’d think if it looked like your mother was the one trying to kill me.”

“Well I’d be surprise that she could stoop that low and it would make me relieve that we didn’t invite her to the wedding, but as far as you’re concerned I’d just be extremely worried, which I still am.”

“I just didn’t want to worry you with it.”

“And disappearing with no real explanation wasn’t going to cause me to worry?”

He looks sheepish. “I didn’t think of that.”

I laugh lightly and hug him. “I’m just glad you’re okay.”

He returns the hug but doesn’t say anything, which make me worry again.

“What’s still bothering you?”

“The fact that people still died because of me.”

I pull back from him slightly so I can look him straight in the eye. “Listen to me, it’s not your fault. You didn’t set the fire, you didn’t cause the accident, someone else did. And it’s that person that killed those people, not you.”

“But if they hadn’t been trying to get me in the first place…”

“You didn’t ask for it, nor did you tell them to do it. Therefore it can’t possibly be your fault. Alright?”

He looks like he’s fighting some kind of internal battle over it before nodding slowly. “Alright.”

I kiss him, before murmuring softly, “And you can consider me selfish but I’d rather have you here and alright then anyone else.”

He smiles, the first true smile I’ve seen from him in weeks, before kissing me passionately.

I slip my hands up under his shirt, fingers brushing over his course chest hair. Removing his shirt I allow him to pull me down onto the bed as I move my lips to his neck.

Slowly I move down his neck with bites and kisses encouraged by his low moans. I place kisses down his chest while my fingers fumble with his belt buckle. He tangles his fingers in my hair as I slide his jeans off his hips. Kicking them off and flipping me onto my back in one smooth motion he murmurs softly in my ear;

“I think you’re a bit overdressed.”
I think I should censor this now due to forum rules

Back
Top Bottom