This Aint a Love Song pt 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
Disclaimer: do you really think that if this had actually happened it would be posted in the fan fiction section?

“You know that you’re the only person I know who didn’t invite their parents to their own wedding,” Daryl comments a week later from where he perched on the corner of the table watching as I get my hair done before the ceremony.

“Just because my mother wasn’t trying to kill my future husband doesn’t mean she wouldn’t mind if it had happened. Therefore I’d like her as far away from my wedding as possible.”

He chuckles. “Well you can borrow my mother, from how she’s acting you’d think it was her daughter getting married.”

“Tell her that she can be my honorary mother for the day.”

“I don’t need to tell her, she already acting the part,” he grins. “She managed to frighten Edge quite nicely earlier by being so mothering. I believe his exact words were, ‘Why is your mother acting like I’m marrying her daughter?’.”

I laugh. “Well it certainly beats the treatment he gets from my mother.”

“I don’t think that would take much.”

Hair finished I stand up and turn to face Daryl, “Well, what do you think?”

“You look great,” he says seriously. “I can’t wait to see Edge’s reaction when he sees you.” Then with a mischievous grin he adds, “Though I never thought I’d see you in a wedding dress.”

“And I never thought I’d see you in a tuxedo,” I return.

He stands up and spins around to show it off, “Like it do you?”

“It looks surprisingly good on you.”

“Thanks, I think.”

Amy, my childhood friend who’s acting the part of my bridesmaid walks in. “They’ll be ready for you in about ten minutes. And just so you know, Edge is a nervous wreck.”

“He’s not the only one who’s nervous,” I reply.

“You don’t look nervous,” says Daryl pushing his hair back off his face and looking at me seriously.

“I’m trying not to think about it,” I explain.

We manage to pass the next few minutes with small talk while I try to fight the tide of nervousness that’s threatening to swamp me.

“They’re ready for you now,” says Daryl’s mother, Julie, sticking her head into the room.

Amy follows her out of the room and Daryl turns to me;

“Ready?”

I take a deep breath. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

With a smile he extends his arm and I take it. It feels slightly odd to have Daryl walking me down the aisle but since my father isn’t here and I wanted Daryl to be a part of the ceremony it makes sense to have him do it. At the front of the church Daryl exchanges nods with Edge before releasing my arm and taking a seat between his mother and his band mates.

I smile at Edge who smiles back before the priest starts leading us through our vows. The kiss is soft and sweet, and causes about a million camera flashes from all of the members of the press standing at the back. It takes the better part of an hour before we can get out to the limo.

“I think every single press person in the world was there,” I complain to Edge as the limo starts moving away from the church to the banquet hall where the reception is taking place.

He chuckles leaning over to kiss me. “Well your all mine for the rest of the night.”

“I think you’re forgetting that we still have the dinner and dance.”

“Well we’ll just have to cut the dancing short then,” he says huskily while placing kisses down my neck. I feel a warm shiver run through me, both because of his actions and what he’s implying with his words.

During dinner Daryl comes over and rest his elbows on the table and his chin on his hands as he looks at us.

“What do you want?” I ask knowing that look only too well.

“You two better not be planning on escaping to consummate the marriage right away,” he says.

Edge chokes on the wine he was drinking obviously not expecting that particular statement from Daryl.

“Why would out plans matter to you?” I ask bemused.

“Because I have something planned for later.”

“So? Last time I checked you weren’t that important to what happens tonight.”

He grins at me. “No, but if it wasn’t for my plan Edge might not be here.”

“That was low,” I tell him.

“Maybe so, but will you stay for a while as a favour to me?”

I hate to admit that he’s right and that we owe him for coming up with that plan. I glance over at Edge who sighs.

“I suppose since he put it that way we could stay for a little while longer.”

Daryl rolls his eyes. “Thanks so much.”

“Just don’t make us regret this,” I tell him.

Smirking he replies, “I don’t think you will.”

There’s no sign of him planning anything, after that which makes me wonder what exactly he’s up to.

After a few songs Edge leans over and murmurs in my ear, “You know if we hadn’t promised Daryl we would stay I’d be carrying you out of here right now.”

Before I can reply Bono appears next to me.

“Hey Edge, mind if I steal you’re wife for a dance?”

I turn to look at him. “And what if I don’t want to dance with you?”

“It seems to me that there are very few women who would turn down a dance with me,” he replies leaning in closer, his blue eyes sparkling like sapphires.

“I think we’ve had this conversation before,” I comment. “Right before I started dating Edge.”

He sighs theatrically. “Well even if you would rather dance with Edge will you dance with me at least this once.”

I glance at Edge who’s chuckling before accompanying Bono onto the dance floor. I have to admit that he is a good dancer, not that I’m going to tell him that. Just as I’m going back to sit next to Edge when the place falls silent and Daryl steps up to the microphone Bono and Amy had spoken into earlier when they’d given their speeches as the best man and bridesmaid.

“Hey everyone,” Daryl says. “I’m going to interrupt for a few minutes then you can all go back to dancing and what not. Those of you who’ve been following the news know that the past few weeks there’s been some stuff with Beth’s mother trying to break up her and Edge and then there was that mentally unbalanced guy who thought it would be a good idea to try and kill Edge. But we made it here anyway and unless I’m grossly misinformed they’re pretty happy with how things turned out.”

There’s some laughter at that and Daryl pauses until it’s finished before continuing;

“I’ve known Beth for quite a while and she’s always been the only girl I know who wants nothing to do with sappy romantic stuff. Now even though she’s married and in love and everything else she still denies that she wants anything to so with the ‘sappy romantic stuff’ though I’m not sure that’s too true, especially after watching her these past few weeks.” Daryl pauses and picks up his guitar, which I hadn’t realised he’d brought with him. “When I started writing this song a few weeks ago I was thinking that I wanted to write it to sing at Beth’s and Edge’s wedding and I had what I thought was a pretty good idea. Then the next thing I knew the entire circumstances changed, at first because of Beth’s mother and then everything that happened after that, and as a result the songs changed. In any case, Beth this is the song you’ve heard me working on and while it started off as a ballad you’ll be happy to know it’s not a ballad anymore.”

That drew some chuckles and Edge leaned in to whisper in my ear, “What exactly is this song like?”

“I don’t know, and I’m not sure if I’m going to regret staying around after he’s played it.”

Daryl strums a chord on his guitar then pauses. “I titled it, ‘This Aint a Love Song’ and you’ll all understand why in a second.” He starts into the riff I’ve heard him play a million times while he was writing before singing in his perfect voice that always made people pause and listen;

“We’re the match that shouldn’t have worked
The one’s brought together by change
And despite all the nay-sayers
We’re only separated by circumstance
Now every time I close my eyes,
I can’t help but see your face,
No matter how much time has passed,
You’re the one my mind wont erase.

I thought I couldn’t live without you
And I’m not sure that I was wrong
But I wont let this be a sob story
‘Cause this sure as hell aint a love song

With all the quirky things in day
Reminding me of things you do
I wont turn on the radio
In order to forget about you
But it’s damn near impossible
To wipe you from my mind this fast
Despite everything else going on
I really want this to last

I’m not a bleeding heart
And romantics I scorn
But when you’re not around
Why do I feel forlorn
I hate sappy ballads
And love-at-first-sight talk
So why do you always
Make that all seem for naught

Now I thought I couldn’t live without you
And I’m not too sure that I was wrong
But I wont let this be overly sappy
‘Cause this sure as hell aint another love song.”

FIN

The lyrics to This Aint a Love Song were written by me so I appologise if they're not that great. The band that Troubled Offspring is loosly based off of (and I say loosly because they really aren't this cool) is my friends band Mail Order Bride http://www.bandzoogle.com/users/mailorderbride/ if you want to check them out, they're pretty good and they better be happy that I gave them credit for being part of my insperation.

Awww, that was awesome!

And I personally liked your lyrics, they were very, I don't know, true to life? I have no idea what I'm trying to say, lol. But indeed that was excellent.

I been reading Opening Act and This Aint a Love Song all weekend and I enjoyed it alot. Great writing!

Back
Top Bottom