Things that make you say 'awwwww'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCK

Acrobat
Quotes or pics that touch you. Something that stands out in your mind, touches your heart, or makes you wanna just give Bono/Adam/Edge/Larry a huge huge hug...

I remember long ago (it was 81 or 82 when I first read it but I've seen it more recently) Adam kept a tour journal for Hot Press magazine and one of his entries began something like "Today is St. Valentine's and where is my Valentine?" I wanted to be his Valentine! (lol, still do) It just made him sound so sweet and vulnerable, like a wistful little boy.

Another moment was on the Rattle & Hum video when Larry was so sad and reflective after seeing Elvis' grave (I wrote a poem about this titled 'Elvis' plus an explanation of my inspiration in Dream Out Loud if anyone wants to have a look)

And seeing the band with their families- playing with their kids, hugging their wives etc, melts my heart. :heart:

Cutest story I've ever read... :heart:

flaming june said:
I was watching an interview from the Zoo era today where Bono was saying that, while on tour, he used to communicate with his kids via fax... Well, the thing is that he sent Jordan and Eve a message telling them that his Fly shades were magical, and that whenever he missed them, he put them on and he could see them. That way, if they happened to see him in a newspaper or something wearing the shades, they would know he was thinking about them...

:cute:

The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was Larry in the VH1 Legends episode on U2, talking about how when his mom died Bono came over to his house and told him he knew exactly how he was feeling because the same thing had happened to him.

Bono's shades said:
The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was Larry in the VH1 Legends episode on U2, talking about how when his mom died Bono came over to his house and told him he knew exactly how he was feeling because the same thing had happened to him.

:sad:

I have read other things about larry saying that Bono was really helpful during that time. ( i wish they would repeat that legends ep i only have from when bono edge and larry quit the shalom thing to the end)

Just seeing those little moments when you can tell how much the guys mean to one another and seeing them/thinking about them with their kids esp since christmas is coming up soon.

I was just gonna mention that Fly shades story. I swear to god, that's got to be the cutest thing I've ever heard. :hug: :bono: :heart: :cute:!

As far as pictures go, I'll refer you all to Sue DeNym's avatar. I love that picture of them together. That's a really nice one.

TiaraGurl said:
:sad:

I have read other things about larry saying that Bono was really helpful during that time. ( i wish they would repeat that legends ep i only have from when bono edge and larry quit the shalom thing to the end)

Just seeing those little moments when you can tell how much the guys mean to one another and seeing them/thinking about them with their kids esp since christmas is coming up soon.

:yes:. Exactly. I also liked how, at the very end of the show, Larry talked about how, yeah, the band may have to eventually slow down in making music and not tour anymore or something, but he didn't want the spark that was between the four of them, the connection they all had, to end, ever. I thought that was really sweet. Actually got me kinda misty-eyed.

Angela

I heard a story when Bono called home and there was a message on his machine from Eli...it said something like this "Heeeeellloooooooo if this is my daddy, we are on a holiday....and mommy says you cannot come home until you take your makeup and horns off....I love you daaaaaddy" :cute: so cute!!!!

Bono's shades said:

Me too. Speaking of the "sweetest thing". Bono has said that the most important thing in his life is friendship, and it shows.

Northeast said:
I heard a story when Bono called home and there was a message on his machine from Eli...it said something like this "Heeeeellloooooooo if this is my daddy, we are on a holiday....and mommy says you cannot come home until you take your makeup and horns off....I love you daaaaaddy" :cute: so cute!!!!

:laugh: :yes: :cute:!

Another thing that makes me go "Awww..."-the "Sweetest Thing" video.

Angela

Also when we saw U2 in Albany Ny and John was just born and he was telling us about him....you could just see he was melting inside thinking about his son.

yeah it was sweet:hug: Also during that concert what made my heart jump out of my chest is when bono and I made eye contact but I freaked out and looked away.............it was like looking...I dont' know...the pope in the eye.....I didn't feel worthy.....:bow:
After that I was like....awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shoot, I just blew my chance........

LCK said:
Quotes or pics that touch you. Something that stands out in your mind, touches your heart, or makes you wanna just give Bono/Adam/Edge/Larry a huge huge hug...

I remember long ago (it was 81 or 82 when I first read it but I've seen it more recently) Adam kept a tour journal for Hot Press magazine and one of his entries began something like "Today is St. Valentine's and where is my Valentine?" I wanted to be his Valentine! (lol, still do) It just made him sound so sweet and vulnerable, like a wistful little boy.

Another moment was on the Rattle & Hum video when Larry was so sad and reflective after seeing Elvis' grave (I wrote a poem about this titled 'Elvis' plus an explanation of my inspiration in Dream Out Loud if anyone wants to have a look)

And seeing the band with their families- playing with their kids, hugging their wives etc, melts my heart. :heart:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww *hugs adam* he sounds so sweet it's like u wanna grab him and hug him tightly.:sad: :sad:

Northeast said:

uhhh hummmmm....I have to correct my story....I was thinking and it was Jordan...not Eli.........sorry

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty
International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me,
between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

--http://www.u2takemehigher.com/

I don't remember the site, but I did see a story, U2 were in concert, and Adam noticed the light rigging was slipping, he walked over to Bono, whispered in his ear, and they stopped so the thing could be fixed.

bono.oneill.jpg

I love this man!

Edge at his wedding

Bono w/ African children

When Bono is on TV being interviewed, or at a forum like that recent Kaiser one..some people may think that's he's mr self confidence all the time, but then he fidgets in his chair or w/ his hands, like he's nervous about saying everything correctly or something. I love that..

Bono talking about Ali or his kids

When Larry smiles

Just when they all tease each other, or talk about how much they like/love each other

Northeast said:
Also during that concert what made my heart jump out of my chest is when bono and I made eye contact but I freaked out and looked away.............it was like looking...I dont' know...the pope in the eye.....I didn't feel worthy.....:bow:
After that I was like....awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shoot, I just blew my chance........

Ohhh...:(.

And as for the "not worthy" thing-bah, from all the stories I've read about people meeting Bono or looking at him or something, don't worry, you'd definitely be worthy. :). That's one thing I've always liked about Bono in the pictures and stories and whatnot that I've seen and heard-every person he meets, he makes them feel like they're the most important person in the world right then. I'm sure the same thing would've happened with you if you'd gotten the chance to meet him.

And hey, at least you've made eye contact with him! I haven't even been that lucky!

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Bono w/ African children

:yes:. Seeing him give a little girl his glasses, or that one picture where it looks like he's putting a necklace around a kid, or him feeding children and everything...that just makes me get Bono fuzzies like nothing else. His interaction with those people is inspiring, and very, very sweet.

When Bono is on TV being interviewed, or at a forum like that recent Kaiser one..some people may think that's he's mr self confidence all the time, but then he fidgets in his chair or w/ his hands, like he's nervous about saying everything correctly or something. I love that..

Yep. And I also like it when he does have those moments where he's all defiant and really stressing a point to people-like when LivLuv talked about how he banged his hand on the podium or whatever it was when she saw him. He really has a way of driving home the seriousness of this issue.

Bono talking about Ali or his kids

Oh, yeah, definitely...some of the quotes about Ali are just...:cute:. And the stories about him missing his kids and stuff, or like in the Flanagan book when he was all concerned when Ali told him he didn't have to hurry home right away if he had other things to do...his devotion to them, his concern for them...I like that.

Just when they all tease each other, or talk about how much they like/love each other

Mmhm. It's particularly impressive, because some guys are afraid to admit how much they care about each other-but not these four. No, they make it very clear how important they are to each other, and how much they respect each other and care about each other and stuff.

I also like that one picture of the guys where Bono's opened that champange bottle and it's spraying all over the other three-they just look like they're having so much fun there. And in various concerts, when you see them exchanging glances and laughing at something (like at the Slane concert), that's always cool, too.

Their friendship is just...amazing.

And I also like that Adam story with the journal and Valentine's Day. Aww, Adam...:hug: :adam:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And I also like that Adam story with the journal and Valentine's Day. Aww, Adam...:hug: :adam:.

Angela

Guh yes! I think right now I have a crush on Adam just from that story... :eek:

This is a sweet story, from atu2:

Former The Practice star Dylan McDermott has deemed Irish rocker Bono the "coolest guy in the world" -- for making his young daughter proud to wear glasses.

McDermott met with the U2 frontman earlier this year (03) in Ireland and took his seven-year-old offspring Colette along for the trip. And the youngster, who has to wear glasses for a medical condition, was left thrilled when her fellow spectacle-wearer Bono commended her on her style.

McDermott says, "Bono's like the coolest guy in the world. My daughter wears glasses. She has a lazy eye and she wears these bifocals.

"We went to Bono's house and he said to my daughter, 'I pride myself on having the coolest glasses in the world. I've never met anybody who's had cooler glasses than me.'

"So she was like beaming and happy and said, 'You know what Dad? Glasses are all right.' He's the best."

? Contactmusic.com, 2003.

thrillme said:
"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty
International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me,
between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

--http://www.u2takemehigher.com/

I don't remember the site, but I did see a story, U2 were in concert, and Adam noticed the light rigging was slipping, he walked over to Bono, whispered in his ear, and they stopped so the thing could be fixed.

This is so scary, can you imagine if it had happended......the thought of Adam standing between bono and the audience was so sweet, to protect him I am sure.......Adam was probably thinking of Ali and thier kids, it just shows how much love there is between these guys.
I also heard another story of Bono when he heard his friend Michael Hutchins had killed himself....broke down while on stage and the edge stopped playing or something like that and came over to see if he was ok:sad: :hug: .........not sure if thats the true story but that is what I heard.

"Mysterious Ways" from the Slane DVD. The way he hugs Eve-he has such a look of love and pride on his face. It's a beautiful
moment.:hug:
And of course, any of his quotes or songs about Ali:heart:

I also love pix of Bono with African children. That's so sweet, it gives me major fuzzies!! You can tell he really loves and cares about them.

Northeast said:
This is so scary, can you imagine if it had happended......the thought of Adam standing between bono and the audience was so sweet, to protect him I am sure.......Adam was probably thinking of Ali and thier kids, it just shows how much love there is between these guys.

That's very scary, yeah...thank you, Adam, for looking out for him like that.

Originally posted by Northeast
I also heard another story of Bono when he heard his friend Michael Hutchins had killed himself....broke down while on stage and the edge stopped playing or something like that and came over to see if he was ok:sad: :hug: .........not sure if thats the true story but that is what I heard.

:( :hug: :edge:.

'Kay, it's official-these guys are four of the sweetest men to ever walk this earth.

Angela

I just got "U2 At the End of the World" as a gift and I've been 'aww'ing my way through it. I love reading stories about Bono and Ali and Edge and his guitar playing and Adam and his fuck-all attitude.

Mullet-clad Bono from the Unforgettable Fire documentary is pretty rad, too. :wink:

The band with their families

The band showing affection for each other

A band member looking sad

Bono talking about his Dad at Slane :(

Larry wishing Elvis hadn't been buried in the backyard:|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom