The worst U2 cover of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreams out loud

The Fly
I was in the kitchen cooking dinner tonightlistening to JT when Bullet came on, out of the blue my 13 year old brother comes running in the room "OMG Heather you like this song?" So of course I give him the well duh... yeah you moron look. He then laughs at me and says see I told you that U2 sucks they can't even do their own music.I asked him if he fell outta the idiot tree hitting every branch on the way down "what are you talking about this song is older than you" He tells me that some group called POD did Bullet.......he then runs and gets his CD and puts it in , and me being the good big sister that I am agreed to listen (HUGE MISTAKE)my impression of the song was a bunch of NO TALENT ASS CLOWNS covering a U2 song!It was a very painful 5 minutes.

I dont like any U2 covers.

You just cant cover U2.. (in my opinion).
U2 is too unique.. I cant stand it .. it hurts my ears.. all of it..

icon24.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

yeah U2 covers are usually horrible. I haven?t heard this one, but the cover of Streets that the Petshop Boys did was enough to seriously damage my ears
mad.gif

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I think some of the covers are OK, I am really not one for covers......but I will say this when U2 does a cover they pretty much stay true to the "essence" of the song they are doing, these guys took bullet and just tore it up.I can only decribe it as Bullet meets death metal and rap at the same time, noth that there's any thing wrong with death metal or rap. I just don't think they mix well with U2.......the guy was SCREAMING the lyrics. There was no passion at all behind it,in my opinion.

Originally posted by dreams out loud:
I was in the kitchen cooking dinner tonightlistening to JT when Bullet came on, out of the blue my 13 year old brother comes running in the room "OMG Heather you like this song?" So of course I give him the well duh... yeah you moron look. He then laughs at me and says see I told you that U2 sucks they can't even do their own music.I asked him if he fell outta the idiot tree hitting every branch on the way down "what are you talking about this song is older than you" He tells me that some group called POD did Bullet.......he then runs and gets his CD and puts it in , and me being the good big sister that I am agreed to listen (HUGE MISTAKE)my impression of the song was a bunch of NO TALENT ASS CLOWNS covering a U2 song!It was a very painful 5 minutes.

NO TALENT ASS CLOWNS!! HAHA!! I love Office Space.

But, yes, I can imagine your horror. One time I heard this really trippy cover of WTSHNN on the radio (I think it may have been from "We Will Follow" the U2 tribute album) and I had to supress the urge to laugh out loud. Wait, did I say supress? I meant embrace. I can't take covers of U2 songs seriously. If I did, I think they would just piss me off.

Haha. I almost forgot. Have you guys ever heard anything from "Pickin' on U2"? It's an album of U2 songs performed by, Lord help me, bluegrass artists. Funny, funny shit. Of course, it's horrible, but in my opinion, you haven't lived until you've heard Mysterious Ways played on a banjo.
wink.gif

I agree with Sicy, I can't stand U2 covers. U2 doing covers though, mostly turns out to be amazing. I might be partial here...
wink.gif

Anyone know where this covered version of BTBS can be found on the net? I want to hear it.

I like most of the covers that U2 perform of other artists' music ( Helter Skelter, Satellite of Love, People Get Ready, etc..) but most bands really screw up when they try to cover U2. It just doesn't gel. I keep wishing they'd shut up & leave U2 to U2.

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~
** Official Minister of Swagger for L.E.A.T.H.E.R. **
I THINK, THEREFORE, U2

POD covering U2??? oh, that's pretty heinous....

BUT, i have to say that johnny cash does a damn fine version of "one"- not as good as the original (of course!), but very interesting.

apparently, there's some girl group (a female Nsync?) in ireland called bellefire that just remade "all i want is you"... i haven't heard it, because i think if i actually listen to it i might jump off a cliff!! AIWIY should never be touched, by ANYONE- especially not a female pop group!! (side note: has anyone heard this version? is it any good at all??)

Originally posted by *Ally*:
apparently, there's some girl group (a female Nsync?) in ireland called bellefire that just remade "all i want is you"... i haven't heard it, because i think if i actually listen to it i might jump off a cliff!! AIWIY should never be touched, by ANYONE- especially not a female pop group!! (side note: has anyone heard this version? is it any good at all??)

I believe U2girl said she heard it and it was okay. Not sure what forum it was in. Also, apparently they made the video -- and I saw a still from it, and it looks identical to the beach scene from the original. I'd love to see the whole video to see what they did with it.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Autumn454:
What do you think of U2 covering other people's stuff, like Won't Get Fooled Again, Helter Skelter and Paint it Black?

Well, I think I have to go against the grain here and say that I like many of the covers U2 have done...but not Helter Skelter. Well, I like it in it's own right, but I like the Beatles version better...but I like other covers...I think my favorite right now would have to be Dancing Queen
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mirror mirror hanging in the sky, won't you look down to what's happening here below? I stand here singing to the flowers. So very few people really know. I dare a man to say I'm too young, for I'm going to try for the sun.

It's back. The fight. So is anyone giving way? It's just like in the beginning. The tears. Their eyes. Why isn't anyone giving way? It's just like in the beginning?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I like U2 covering others, but not the other way around.

lol.

Amen to that sistah. AND if Creed doesn't stop copying U2...I'm gonna...I'm gonna get REALLY MAD. Their new song is called Bullet! Grrrrrrrrrr

Creed covering One?

POD covering BTBS?

Excuse me while I politely vomit.

All I knew about the AIWIY cover is that is was by some group named Bellefire, and now knowing that it is a girl group, I won't even give it a chance. I'm usually pretty open to at least listening to covers, because it shows the coverers have an appreciation for U2, but they are never that good and I will only listen to it once and that is it. Some other U2 covers I have heard:

Collective Soul - I Will Follow
Smashing Pumpkins - Stay
Radiohead - SBS
Sublime - SBS
Pearl Jam - SBS

They seem to have a love for SBS or something... but they will never be as good as the real thing, even combined. And I don't want one of my friends to come ever believe that someone like POD came up with BTBS... I may have to hurt them.
biggrin.gif

And I heard Anthrax is going to be doing a cover of "Exit"...

------------------
~*~?~*~ Katie ~*~?~*~
"Now America looks smart and, dare I say it, sexy again." ~ Bono, 2000

She is the dreamer
She's imagination

[This message has been edited by wildhoney22 (edited 03-26-2002).]

Ugh... I don't like covers of U2 songs either. I've only actually heard one cover that I liked, a version of "Drowning Man" by some little group on mp3.com.

I can't believe it; Creed and One? POD and Bullet? Ughhh!!! I think if you attempt to cover a U2 song you should at least be in the same genre...
mad.gif

------------------
-- Sara
the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind

Originally posted by Autumn454:
What do you think of U2 covering other people's stuff, like Won't Get Fooled Again, Helter Skelter and Paint it Black?

I absolutely adore Helter Skelter, All Along the Watchtower, Dancing Barefoot, Night and Day (Bono could've written that one), Won't Get Fooled Again

The should have left Everlasting Love, Unchained Melody and Paint It Black well enough alone

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Originally posted by AM:
yeah U2 covers are usually horrible. I haven?t heard this one, but the cover of Streets that the Petshop Boys did was enough to seriously damage my ears
mad.gif

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
I heard this for the first time today!! I was ROFLLL!!! it was THAT bad! LOLL

------------------
You say that the river finds the way to the sea...
...and like the river you shall come to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Mr. Macphisto's Mansion

See, this is the kind of thing I was afraid of. If other singers/bands cover U2 songs, especially older ones (although some people today are so dumb they wouldn't know if it was Where The Streets Have No Name) a lot of younger people will think that THEY wrote that song. POD's cover of Bullet the Blue Sky and Creed's cover of One both make me worried about this in general. And yeah, I know, I need to get a life
wink.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

by one side

i like much more the original version of unchained melody than the version that u2 made

by the other

pod and creed covering u2? i need to vomit too

well and the SBS cover by radiohead doesn't sounds bad

------------------
a mexican poet, but not a very good one

I have to say that I think U2's cover of "Unchained Melody" is just plain awful!!!

But that's about it. Even "Everlasting Love" has a few good qualities about it!

Creed covering ONE????
*July pinches her nose closed*
shoooo-weeeeee, 'tinky-'tinky!

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~
** Official Minister of Swagger for L.E.A.T.H.E.R. **
I THINK, THEREFORE, U2

U2 generally cover songs pretty well. They don't totally change the songs essence. I like U2s version of Paint It Black but I have to say that I do like the original better. I jsut love that song so much. Quite a few of U2s covers I think are of the same quality or better than the ppl who did the originals

Back
Top Bottom