the U2 Complete (?) Encyclopedia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just got a copy of this book by Mark Chatterton this very week, yay! While I have not read it through completely, a few things have stuck out - call me picky, but:

• Pg. 76 - a pic of Bono as the Fly, but without wearing his trademark "fly shades," yet he's described as wearing oversize shades on the next page (I think it would have more emphasis WITH the shades, and there are SO many pics of him out there with them, I don't know why Chatterton didn't use one)

Description of MacPhisto, pg. 128: says that "somebody gave him a pair of horns" - this somebody was none other than Gavin Friday, somethign the author could have found out easily.

One of the most glaring mistakes, pg. top of the "T's" page 202: mentions a U2 performance at the "Tacoma Dome, Tocoma, Wisconsin." First of all, Tacoma and Tocoma are not spelled the same, secondly, THERE IS NO TACOMA, WISCONSIN. Rather, it's WASHINGTON state that is the correct location and venue.

I'm a REAL stickler for correctness in both facts and spelling in books; otherwise, it makes the book that much less accurate and genuine.

Anybody else notice anything that's not quite "right" in the book??

Disco

I'm with you on the accuracy test, Disco. It's obvious that this guy hasn't done his research... other than that, is it worth the money?

------------------
"just like a runaway with no escape zone
you'd think I'd find a way you'd think I'd fake one
but all my life's been filled with wanton tragedy

where's my angels I'm a naked soul"
- Angels ~ The Tea Party

SlipStream Soul

I, too, was disappointed with the "Encyclopedia." It looks really shoddily constructed overall...crappy pictures, printed on cheap paper...*sigh* And WHAT is with the cover photo???

And I just about fell over when I saw the Tacoma misprint.

Give me Flanagan's Bible any day.

------------------
*Echo the Pimpstress* ... Proud Owner of Animatronic Edge!

This is it! I've been waiting two hours for this! It's a revolution! Blood runs! Flags wave! Come on everybody, throw down your tools and throw up a barricade! Run into the Winter Palace and stand on the tables waving bits of paper at each other! "Hello, are you the Czar?" "Yes, I am actually." BLAM BLAM! Ha ha! Tough luck, FASCIST! That's what happens to people who aren't working class!

Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure!

The Official PLEBA Glossary: Delicious AND Nutritious!

Go l? neach neamhshaolta do dhiosca crua. - May an alien being lick your hard disk.

I got the book about two weeks ago, but I have not had time to look really read through it. That is too bad about the mistakes that this book has. I believe I discovered a couple also, but off hand I cannot think of them. I agree with Echo, Flanagan's book is hands down a better book.

[This message has been edited by MissVelvetDress (edited 12-18-2001).]

Yeah, I totally agree with you, Disco.... here's my problem with it....

You'd think that since this is a "U2 Encyclopedia" that covers the entire band, it would have a picture of all FOUR OF THEM on the cover.

Yeah, you'd think....

I have a book that's doing just fine as my little encyclopedia.... It's called "U2: the complete songs" - the only drawback is, it's not available in the states, or it's not supposed to be. Still am trying to figure out how I found a copy at a local Borders Bookstore. However, it's a grand book - it covers from the beginning of their careers to the Popmart Tour - it lists every single tour, every single album and single they've released, every video, all the LYRICS of their songs, and all the MUSIC for each song. It even has some nifty pictures.

I figure between this book and the U2 Bible, I don't need no encyclopedia to tell me nothin'!

Moonie

------------------
If you ask me, I think it's all about drums.
"If a student with an accordion had come along, I would've played with them ya know...that was where I was at, I was that desperate to play with somebody."
(Larry, about his Mount Temple days, before forming U2)

*Larry, I played accordion. Can I have a drumstick?*
From the heart, on a blue sign, 11-18-01, Vegas

Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting

(If You Wear That Velvet Dress)
Hit Gurl

[This message has been edited by moon_is_playing_tricks (edited 12-18-2001).]

i did not purchase this book because i am a picky shopper, even for U2 related stuff...as others have stated it is shoddy and lacking.

the flanagan book is an excellent buy, it would be wonderful if we could get an updated version (say...behind the scenes of elevation 2001)! that would rock!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude" -ADAM

sunlight, sunlight fills my room
it's sharp and it's clear
but nothing at all like the moon..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

U2 Photo Album

Yeah sparky's girl...I was just thinking the same thing last night..I'm reading the flannigan book for the first time and am at the end of the book.
I really wish flannigan would write an updated version too!! Maybe we can write/email the publisher or flannigan and see if there might be one in the works...

***keeps fingers crossed***

Peace!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

Echo, Moonie, Maria - I'm in complete agreement. The book looks hastily put together...though there are very current additions in the book reflecting the 2001 tour (at least up to the 2nd leg), the cover, paper quality and photos are just NOT done as well as they could have--or *should* have--been. For an "encyclopedia," I really was expecting something very classy: a uch larger book, glossy paper, and full of crisp COLOR pictures!! The pics are fuzzy and grainy...not good at all. And WHAT is with the cover? Not only is it ONLY Bono, but it's a horrible shot of him--he's downright grimacing!
mad.gif

I'm thinking the publishers/author had a specific deadline to get the book out, but waited until the 11th hour to add all the new tour info, then just whipped it out without proper proofing.

Can't wait to see what else I happen to find hidden amongst its pages....

(hey Moonie, you're right, that Complete Songs book ROCKS! I'm trying to snag my own copy)
smile.gif

One note: page 44 has a *very* cute pic of a very bearded Adam! I may try to scan it in if I have time....

Originally posted by Echo:
I, too, was disappointed with the "Encyclopedia." It looks really shoddily constructed overall...crappy pictures, printed on cheap paper...*sigh* And WHAT is with the cover photo???

And I just about fell over when I saw the Tacoma misprint.

Give me Flanagan's Bible any day.

I need to get myself The Complete Songs. And avoid the Encyclopedia! I was planning on buying that. How about Into The Heart? I have the newer one and it pisses me off so much. I don't want another one of those!

------------------
"The idea is to eroticize the male body instead of the female." - Bono

"Well, again, within that spirit of not-seriousness.....
To all intents and purposes, the mystery and power of the penis is, what will it become?" - Adam

Bwahahahaha!!! I just sent an email to the publishers (Fire Fly / Saf Publishing) expressing my disappointment!
biggrin.gif

Not that they can do anything about it now that the book is out, but what the heck. I felt I had to tell them *something*.

OnTheEdge - "Into the Heart" is also a good book, but it mainly focuses on the songs/lyrics rather than the "world of U2" altogether. I have a copy of that one through Pop, but I think that the latest edition with ATYCLB is now out, so I want to get that as well.

Same for the Pimm de la Parra book, I believe these two books continue to be updated for every album/tour U2 does.

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-18-2001).]

Hmmm....maybe I won't want this book afterall...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Well now I'm a little upset, I asked Santa to bring this book for me. I guess if it's under the tree next week, I'll write in the changes.
That f-ing sucks though, I shouldn't have to make changes to a book...
Who the hell proofread this book???
I would have done it for free!
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Discoteque:

OnTheEdge - "Into the Heart" is also a good book, but it mainly focuses on the songs/lyrics rather than the "world of U2" altogether. I have a copy of that one through Pop, but I think that the latest edition with ATYCLB is now out, so I want to get that as well.

I think Niall Stokes uses too many opinions and doesn't indentify them as such. Plus the artwork annoys me. The ATYCLB edition had a Pop photo on the cover and a JT image in the background of it's ATYCLB info. (There's one image per album that covers the pages.) This is because they did the MDH and used the photo of them on top of that hotel and then kept using it for ATYCLB. *sigh*
smile.gif

------------------

To all intents and purposes, the mystery and power of the penis is, what will it become?" - Adam

Oh dear I got the U2 Encyclopedia too! And its rather crappy! BLAH!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Hmmm....maybe I won't want this book afterall...
Dammit. Same here. I've been putting it off, trying to decide whether I should get it or not, and now it looks like it's not a very good buy. Blast, I say. Blast!

------------------
"That's the first time we've played that song in... about 15 years." -Bono, after In God's Country - Phoenix 11/23

He was a cowboy, mister, and he loved the land. He loved it so much he made a woman out of dirt and married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated. Later, at the funeral, when the preacher said, "Dust to dust," some people laughed, and the cowboy shot them. At his hanging, he told the others, "I'll be waiting for you in heaven -- with a gun." -Jack Handey

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

Originally posted by Discoteque:
And WHAT is with the cover? Not only is it ONLY Bono, but it's a horrible shot of him--he's downright grimacing!
mad.gif

What's the cover shot? Is it a picture we've all seen before?

And I'd love a Flanagan book about the Elevation tour too! I'm sure it would be chock full of juicy tidbits.
smile.gif

I am not unhappy with it. Disco is just such a diehard fan she notices things most people wouldn't, as we all do. But didn't this guy realize that's who's gonna be buying the book? I still like it though. What's wrong with the pic on the front? It's a concert shot and he looks good all bathed in light, sure he has a grimace on his face but it's capturing how much he puts into his singing. It's sure an improvement over the original cover, a wrinkled-faced, sweaty, grimacing, snarling, scary looking Popmart era pic which was also only Bono. Yes a band shot would have been better but it's okay. Not an excellent book but, it's U2 and I'm glad to have it. This isn't a terrible book, don't diss it too much.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

[This message has been edited by Veranda (edited 12-19-2001).]

whether it was written w/ diehard fans in mind or not, the book should at least be accurate!! i wonder if this guy is affiliated w/ the band at all?

Niall Stokes- I agree w/ On The Edge about this one. He does use too many opinions that are not really backed up, and his redundant "catch endings" to each section sort of annoy me, it just seems forced and doesn't fit in. BUT I would suggest it, b/c there are some interesting quotes from the guys about the songs. And since I love to delve into Bono's lyrics, I find that interesting.

thanks for the heads up disco!

ya know, this is precisely why I need to write U2's next book! .....

------------------
"We get our skis on and Bono
falls over immediately..." (Adam '82)

*!* U2 TAKE ME HIGHER *!*

Thanks for the info Disco,
biggrin.gif

I was looking forward to getting this book ,now maybe I'll save my hard earned for something better !!

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
I have a book that's doing just fine as my little encyclopedia.... It's called "U2: the complete songs" - the only drawback is, it's not available in the states, or it's not supposed to be. Still am trying to figure out how I found a copy at a local Borders Bookstore.

mad.gif
GAH!! I saw this at Barnes & Noble last week and *didn't* buy it because I knew I was getting the Encyclopedia for Christmas. GRRRR!!! I think I'll go back and get it...today.

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"I looked like a baked bean when I was a kid. I really did."
-Bono

"Today we're going to do something healthy," he announces in his curiously posh drawl, unfolding his deckchair and removing his T-shirt.
"We're going to watch other people exercise."
-Adam

"I am not taking my clothes off!"
-Larry, when asked at the end of the interview to give the
crowd something they could take home with them

Hey just got an email from the publisher of the book, and BLAH BLAH BLAH they told me precisely what I figured they would:

• Hi K,

I am sorry that you feel this way about the U2 Encyclopedia - we made every effort to produce a book that was interesting and informative, not only to ardent fans as yourself, but also to a wider audience.

I will try to answer your points:

1) we always try to produce books that people can afford. If the encyclopedia had been on glossy paper and full colour throughout it would have been six or seven times the price. [i didn't say all glossy and all color, just a 'better quality paper' and more color pics]

2) the cover attempts to portray the excitement of a U2 concert from a fan's perspective - an environment that, I'm sure you'd agree, in which U2 are amongst the best in the world. Bono is the frontman, the main spokesman and the instantly recognisable face of U2. The purpose of a book cover is to attract people to pick up the book from a crowded shelf in a busy bookshop - I personally believe we succeeded - although I respect your right to disagree. [yep, i do]

3) we wanted to put photos in the book that supported the text and that, wherever possible, had not been published before. In some cases we used photos from fans from around the world, and we tried to obtain a representative selection illustrating the band's entire career.

4) As to the errors, we made every effort to check the entries, but in a project this size it is inevitable that some will creep in. For that I will apologise. We will rectify these in any future editions.

Thanks anyway for the feedback.

Regards,
    Dave Hallbery

It's not a BAD book overall, but when it is all about FACTS....it just could have been done so much better, IMO!

Oh, if anyone else wants to toss in an opinion, here's the link to the publisher: http://www.safpublishing.com/contact.htm

have a merry and a happy!

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-19-2001).]

Hey Disco,

I've seen the U2 Complete Songs in two Borders in the Dallas area, the one on Park and Preston up in Plano and the one on Campbell and Coit in Richardson.

I haven't bought it yet because it costs $40
(ouch!) and it doesn't include the new songs
from ATYCLB. My resistance wears away daily though so I may get it next year if it's still there.

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
I have a book that's doing just fine as my little encyclopedia.... It's called "U2: the complete songs" - the only drawback is, it's not available in the states, or it's not supposed to be. Still am trying to figure out how I found a copy at a local Borders Bookstore. However, it's a grand book - it covers from the beginning of their careers to the Popmart Tour - it lists every single tour, every single album and single they've released, every video, all the LYRICS of their songs, and all the MUSIC for each song. It even has some nifty pictures.

hehe. I found that at my local Barnes&Noble. And it IS a great book. It has complete information and great pictures, not to mention a fabulous introduction written by none other than Mr. Flanagan himself. I love having the music to every U2 song ever written including the B-sides.
biggrin.gif

And re: Niall Stokes and the supposed "meanings behind every U2 song", he annoys me. lol. His interpretations are very hit-and-miss and include a whole lot of personal conjecture. But the layout and pics are nice.

At the end of the day...it's the U2 Bible for me.

-sula

Here's my list:

1. U2 Bible ( Flanagan's book)
2. U2 Live : A Concert Documentary- would love an update
3. U2 The Complete Songs- a wonderful book. I found it at Border's too. While it was $40 and that is way pricy, at least we get some really good color pics and an intro from Flanagan. Also we get all the arrangements of the music.

For those that don't know, there is a songbook out of just ATYCLB songs that I found at Sam Goody! The front of it is the album cover. You can probably order it from them. The price was 19.95.

I also have "Into the Heart" and I really like it. I'm a lyrics person so I really appreciated the insight plus there were lots of quotes from Bono that I didn't know about.
There is also an older small little book by Bill Graham that is interesting altho a lot of it is interpretive I believe. Still it's good reading for the bathroom or whatever....

Finally, I bought "The Road to Pop" by Carter Alan, or is it Alan Carter?? I kind of wish I could have my money back on this one. It's not too good. you can tell the guy kind of had limited access to U2 because his writing reflects it.

I think what we really need to find out is if U2 invited Bill Flanagan on the Elevation Tour! Probably wishful thinking...

oktobergirl

Isn't Bill Flanagan working at VH1? High up? I've totally forgotten what he does. If someone knows, post. I think it prevents a second book. Maybe in the future though. I *love* that book. But doesn't everybody? How many times have you all read it? *is embarrassed and won't say her number yet*
redface.gif

------------------

Lylas, really? $40??? OUCH. Well, much as I desire it (insert song here), if I can get it from Amazon or someplace that has the ATYCLB stuff in it, I think I'll wait a bit for that...it's tough when books get re-edited for each consecutive album...and if U2 comes out with another album next year, then GAHH!!! We have to do it all over again, don't we?
tongue.gif

Originally posted by lylas:
Hey Disco,

I've seen the U2 Complete Songs in two Borders in the Dallas area, the one on Park and Preston up in Plano and the one on Campbell and Coit in Richardson.

I haven't bought it yet because it costs $40
(ouch!) and it doesn't include the new songs
from ATYCLB. My resistance wears away daily though so I may get it next year if it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom