the traffic cone picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

opaltranquility

Acrobat
ok I KNOW there was a picture posted here of bono with an orange traffic cone...some friends and I went on a traffic cone stealing spree the past few days, and i want to show my friend the picture...can someone help me out and post it, cuz i cant find where i had seen it before

thanks!!!
smile.gif

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

33268%3A8723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D3%3A5%3D7%3B8%3DXROQDF%3E2323278973949ot1lsi

there ya go!
smile.gif

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

"A man dreams one day to fly
A man takes a rocket ship to the skies
He lives on a star that's dying in the night
And follows in the trail, the scatter of the light"

no problem
biggrin.gif

------------------
~MoonPhisto*

"A man dreams one day to fly
A man takes a rocket ship to the skies
He lives on a star that's dying in the night
And follows in the trail, the scatter of the light"

Here?s the original, a bit bigger.
smile.gif

The story behind it is too cool. It's taken in Gothenburg, Sweden after Bono and friends have been chased around the city by paparazzis. Finally Bono gives up, pull over the car, steps out and play with the photographer while his friend steals the carkeys to the photographers car.
I think it was Howie B and Willie Williams who was with Bono in his car. The whole story is to read in Willies diary on u2.com, during Popmart.

Bonobiljakt.jpg

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

haha that is too funny...i only steal traffic cones to irritate campus maintence LOL thats why we steal the traffic signs too...(some day, they're gonna come in my house to fix something, and we'll get arrested lol)

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu http://www.platinumcomplication.com

[This message has been edited by opaltranquility (edited 10-21-2001).]

*considers becoming a photographer so Bono will get outta the car and play with me*

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

DREAM OUT LOUD

"Summers when the money was gone you'd sing all your little songs that meant every thing to me."~Remy Zero~

id love to see the poster if u could take a picture of it. thats definitely a nice souvenir to have haha

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

No problem! I find that story to be highly amusing.

------------------
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light

"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

LMAO that is my favorite story in Willie's Diary, actually he has a lot of good ones (try reading the opening night Vegas Popmart, Edge meets Spinal Tap). I miss reading his diaries this leg
frown.gif

But I thought it was so hilarious I was on the floor laughing. And the description of Bono driving the car in itself is priceless.

PLEASE post the poster I would love to see it.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by martha:
Oh Bono, what a lovely big cone you have!

LMAO!!!!!! I just spit out my beverage of choice!

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

DREAM OUT LOUD

"Summers when the money was gone you'd sing all your little songs that meant every thing to me."~Remy Zero~

ARGH! I hate U2's site! It's so hard to navigate!
mad.gif

mbi, can you tell me where I can find that segment of the Willie diaries (or just his diaries in general, sheesh). PopMart in Vegas *and* Spinal Tap??? Oh yeah. GOTTA read that one!
biggrin.gif

thanks!

Originally posted by mbi16:
LMAO that is my favorite story in Willie's Diary, actually he has a lot of good ones (try reading the opening night Vegas Popmart, Edge meets Spinal Tap). I miss reading his diaries this leg
frown.gif

But I thought it was so hilarious I was on the floor laughing. And the description of Bono driving the car in itself is priceless.

PLEASE post the poster I would love to see it.

I love that picture! I have it on my U2 website and tried posting it to the "favorite piccies" thread a while back. Thanks for sharing it with everyone. It's such a colorful picture and Bono looks really happy in it.

I always get a kick from watching this pic!
biggrin.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Here's the story from Willie's Diary:

Sunday August 3rd, 1997

Later on a classic U2 moment occurred when Bono and a few other folks went out for the evening. The band had been pestered by a couple of paparazzi photographers all day, so for the evening?s outing we went by car to avoid any further hassle - after all, the gig was yesterday, so theoretically the fuss should have died down to some extent. Anyhow, our paparazzi friends were not to be deterred and jumped into their car to follow. The result was of course a car chase through the streets of Gothenburg, which got increasingly out of hand. Coming down a side street, Bono spotted a pile of red traffic cones by the side of the road. Without a word he pulled the car over and signaled everyone to assemble a road-block with them as the paparazzi car appeared around the corner. Mayhem ensued, with people running all over the place wielding traffic cones and the photographers taking aim as best they could. Then the fatal blow. As the photographers got out of their car to get a closer view, Howie B. circled round, ran past their car and in one graceful motion swooped in and stole the car keys. Everyone jumped back into our vehicle and sped off, leaving the photographers gutted to find their steed disabled. I can still hear Howie laughing now.

Monday August 4th

This morning?s headline in the Gothenburg daily paper was by a picture of the two photographers from last night and said (in Swedish) "Can we have our car keys back?". Actually, we?d already left the stolen keys at the reception of the hotel (where they knew we were staying), so they?d eventually find them. Besides which they did get a couple of classic snapshots of Bono wrestling with these giant red traffic cones, so they had got some kind of result. It was all very funny, but all the same it was probably a good time to leave town.

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 10-21-2001).]

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Monday August 4th

This morning?s headline in the Gothenburg daily paper was by a picture of the two photographers from last night and said (in Swedish) "Can we have our car keys back?". Actually, we?d already left the stolen keys at the reception of the hotel (where they knew we were staying), so they?d eventually find them. Besides which they did get a couple of classic snapshots of Bono wrestling with these giant red traffic cones, so they had got some kind of result. It was all very funny, but all the same it was probably a good time to leave town.

[This message has been edited by Giant Lemon (edited 10-21-2001).]

I have a big publicityposter from that newspaper with a similar pic as above and it says "U2?s Bono in wild carchase last night" (in swedish though)

I couldn't belive my eyes when I saw it and then read the story. I went right into the store and asked if I could get the poster the day after when they anyway threw them away and they said yes.
smile.gif

Maybe I can take a photo of it and post it, it's really nice.
smile.gif

Just wish I had been in town during the chase but I thought they already had left the city since it's a tiny one (450000 persons) and the show had been two days ago.
frown.gif

But obviously they found the city amusing. LOL

Next time they come here, I will be chasing them myself and maybe get some nice photos.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

biggrin.gif
thanks for posting that story!

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by Discoteque:

mbi, can you tell me where I can find that segment of the Willie diaries (or just his diaries in general, sheesh). PopMart in Vegas *and* Spinal Tap??? Oh yeah. GOTTA read that one!
biggrin.gif

Well here's the link to that particular story http://zorba.u2.com/willies/1997_1998_popmart/1997_april_25.html there's obviously more to it than that so I'll post that part here. But you should just read from the begining, lots of laughs.

"Enter the Lemon, which did its thing without a hitch so all breathe again. Moments later, however, came the Spinal Tap moment of the night. I had been so paranoid about there not being enough fog for the Lemon entry that I was really leaning heavily on the smoke button. It was a beautifully still night, so the resulting clouds didn?t disperse right away and as the band descended from the Lemon to the b-stage, they couldn?t see a thing. Edge put on his guitar, strummed it and found it didn?t work. He needed to step on a switch on his footpedal which was......somewhere down there on the floor. Later he told us that he was completely blind in the fog, so sank to his hands and knees to try to find it by touch. Finding himself at the world premiere of his new show, on his knees feeling about the floor he started to laugh. A little voice came into his head "it has finally happened.......I am Derek Smalls - this is Spinal Tap"."

"He did get his guitar working so Discotheque happened, followed by Velvet Dress and With or Without You. The relief of being almost home got us through."

So I tried to to get the link to the diary alone, no luck it's java. So just go to www.u2.com/lite click on elevation tour area, then on the middle (all the orange bars) click on Tour Diaries. On the top right hand corner there's a pull down menu where you can alternate b/t Popmart and Elevation. Then on top of the globes there's numbers thus switch b/t legs. If you still can't find it just \ holler.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 10-22-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom