the sweetest thing pt 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
as my story was inspired by the song thought I would include it for emphasis

My love she throws me like a rubber ball
Oh oh oh the sweetest thing
But she won't catch me, or break my fall
Baby's got blue skies overhead
But in this I'm a rain cloud
You know she likes a dry kind of love

I'm losing you
Oh oh oh, I'm losing you yeah
Ain't love the sweetest thing
The sweetest thing

Alison hurried blindly across the hotel Foyer making for the elevator, she was just about to push the button when Bono caught up with her, grabbing her arm and swinging her around, his expression a mixture of concern and bewilderment

“Ali what are you doing?”

“Going up to my room, what else” Alison replied, amazed how her voice sounded calm

“Ali why are you being like this..? I don’t understand” Bono demanded in confusion

“No!you don’t understand” Alison exclaimed forcefully, giving him the full benefit of the anger and hurt in her brown eyes as she looked at him, “How could you do this to me?… You didn‘t even have the decency to tell me you were in contact with her”

“ I wanted to surprise you” Bono attempted to explain, “Will you at least let me tell what happened?” he demanded desperately, “please come back with me, and talk, I can’t just leave the woman stranded in the restaurant”

“I don’t give a damn about her” Alison snapped “If you want to go back and talk to her fine, but I can’t. I won’t”

The lift doors opened and Alison stepped inside her expression mutinous, and Bono knew when she was in this mood there was no reasoning with her. The lift doors closed in his face as he stood torn, uncertain of what to do. He wanted to go after Ali and try and sort this mess out..

He had not been certain about the reaction she would have to seeing her mother again.. He had thought at first it might be a little awkward, but hoped that it would be the beginning of mother and daughter reuniting.. That in the end she would be pleased.

When Alison had talked about her mother, he had not realised until now the real bitterness and hurt she had felt towards the woman.. he had blown it big time. He turned to find Alison’s mother standing at the restaurant doorway looking pale and anxious, Bono slowly walked over to her.

“I am sorry I didn’t think she would react like this.. If I had I wouldn’t have set all this up” he found himself apologising

“Its alright” Eileen Stewart replied “I guess its no more than I deserved under the circumstances.. Perhaps it would be best if I just go”

“Yeah I think so” Bono replied regretfully, “I will try and talk with her, calm her down, maybe it was just the shock of seeing you.. Maybe surprising her wasn’t one of my better ideas, but I am sure I can bring her around” he convinced himself half heartedly as he remembered the anger and betrayal in her brown eyes she had aimed at him, it cut through him like a knife.. If Alison’s mother was public enemy number one in Alison’s eyes Bono got the feeling he wasn’t too far behind her at the moment. But that wasn’t going to stop him trying

“Best of luck, if her stubborn temper is anything like mine, you are going to need it” her mother replied sympathetically patting his hand.

Alison was flinging her clothes into an opened suitcase on the bed when he entered the hotel room, Bono felt like all the blood was draining from his body.

“What is going on?” he demanded

“I am going back to Ireland, I can’t stay here” Alison replied not looking at him as she moved from the wardrobe to the bed with her clothes.

“Ali there is no need for this” Bono replied walking over to her and blocking her path to the wardrobe.

“Yes there is” Ali replied, “I just need to get away from here” she now walked around him to resume putting the last of her clothes into the suitcase, “I am getting the first flight I can back to Dublin, don’t waste your time trying to change my mind because you won’t”

“But you have to, let me explain” Bono insisted, “I swear I did not plan this to upset you… remember the other week we were talking about your mother.. Then when we arrived In Boston She got in contact with me. I thought it was fate.. That this was meant to happen.. I just wanted to bring the two of you together, I thought it was what you would want” he told her whilst occupied closing her suitcase

“Well you thought wrong didn’t you” Alison replied in a clipped tone still refusing to look at him, much to his despair.

“Ok, I might have gone about this all wrong, but I did have your best interests at heart” Bono then told her not giving up so easy “I just go so excited, when she got in contact, and like I said I wanted to surprise you, maybe it would have been better if I had talked with you first, and let you know”

“Yes actually it would have” Alison informed him now turning to face him, “But oh no, you just go rushing in not giving any consideration if I even I would want to meet with her or have anything to do with her, you thought just dumping it on me as a so called surprise was going to be the answer,” she waved her hands in disdain, “what where you expecting me to do, kiss and make up there and then and put my arms around your neck and tell you how wonderful you were for getting me back with my mother?”

“No Ali, I don’t know what I was thinking exactly” Bono found himself floundering under her verbal assault.

“Exactly.. that’s because like I said, you don’t think!” Ali shot back at him, “If you had you would have known better than trying to get in contact with my mother without at least letting me know what you were up to”

“But I didn’t get in contact with her.. She was the one who contacted me first” Bono reminded her in defence

“Well there is a surprise!” Alison snorted in derision “She wants nothing to do with me all these years and suddenly because I am up on celebrity status she suddenly decides to get in contact.. Well now we all know her motives there.. Its not me she is interested in.. just the fact that I am with someone famous and she wants in on the action no doubt” she was on the move again gathering the rest of her personal belongings in a small holdall from the dresser

“Ali you don’t know that is her motive” Bono argued, he had not realised she could be so cynical

“Oh that’s right, you stick up for her” Ali shot back accusingly.

Bono felt his own anger rising at the unfair accusation and decided to take a firm hand, going over to her and grabbing her by both arms he swung her round, forcing her to look into his blue eyes.

“Stop it Ali, you know that’s not true, and you are being totally unreasonable… I know you feel you have good cause, but you really need to calm down and stop sniping at me like I am the enemy.. I already admitted to you I went about this the wrong way, I take full blame for that… but you have to believe me I would never deliberately do anything to hurt you, you know that”

Much to his relief she seem to accept what he was saying, because the anger left her eyes, and her body seem to sag under his hold as the tension receded.

“Its going to be ok baby” he wrapped his arms around her holding her close, “Its going to be ok” he repeated, not sure if he was trying to convince her, or himself

Last edited:
It took me a while to read the other two parts of this story, but now I'm totally hooked :love:
As usual, I love the different scenario's you put Bono in!

I forgot all about this story.. I started it a while back.... but due to losing my mum and my sister- in-law within months of each other and illness going on in my real life, it went completely out of my mind.. :( I never rains but it pours,

but things are now getting back to some sort of normality at long last

and maybe I will get around to finishing it one day if I get back into the swing of it again, I know I had other things planned for Bono and Ali :wink:

Good to hear things are better now :hug:

I always told myself I was gonna read your story, but I always forgot and didn't have the time... but I am glad I read it :)
I'll be your fan :D

Oh my... the way you have Bono trying to calm her at the end. Those words... completely elegant... wonderful.
I really felt that...
Well done.

annj said:
I forgot all about this story.. I started it a while back.... but due to losing my mum and my sister- in-law within months of each other and illness going on in my real life, it went completely out of my mind.. :( I never rains but it pours,

That is so so sad, annj. I've very sorry.
My thoughts are with you..

Back
Top Bottom