The Return of Lola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Yep, she's back. From today's Irish Independent:

Former U2 stylist heads to High Court over Stetson tug-of-war

CATHY MADDEN

SHE still hasn't found what she's looking for, but she's not giving up the ghost just yet. U2's former stylist Lola Cashman will make her long-awaited High Court challenge to the decision by a lower court that she must return items of wardrobe to the band, including a pair of Bono's trousers, on Tuesday.

The decision to bring the case to the High Court is a major move by Ms Cashman and her legal team because if they lose the case, Lola would face a substantial legal bill.

The band successfully sued Ms Cashman in the Circuit Court in June and July of last year over a pair of trousers, a sweatshirt, a Stetson hat and a pair of earrings that appeared for sale at Christies auction house in London.

The stylist had worked with the band during the Joshua Tree tour during the Eighties and claimed that the items had been given to her. U2 had written to the auction house to query the stylist's ownership of the items. That led to the court action during which both Bono and Larry Mullen Jnr appeared.

The case came before the Circuit Court president Judge Matthew Deery the morning after the band played Croke Park as part of their Vertigo World tour in the summer of 2005.

A jaded-looking Bono told the courtroom, packed with journalists and members of the legal profession eager to get a glimpse of the show, that the Stetson had taken on iconic status, and giving it away would be tantamount to the Edge giving away one of his guitars.

Judge Deery agreed, saying the weight of the evidence was against Ms Cashman's version of events. He also ordered her to hand over a special Christmas decoration, 88 Polaroid pictures and 117 other photographs of U2 members which were taken during their Joshua Tree tour in the late Eighties.

He was satisfied that the photographs had come into existence as a result of Ms Cashman's employment with the band, and the film used was purchased with money provided by U2.

Meanwhile the stylist has instituted parallel proceedings in the London courts alleging the letter the band wrote had defamed her.

The Circuit Court heard it claimed that the band had taken the action here to hamper those proceedings.

However Judge Deery said it was appropriate that the ownership of the items be resolved in an Irish court. He said the band seemed to be "extraordinarily successful", and it seemed unlikely to him that they would have pursued the claim if it wasn't important to them.

Ms Cashman's High Court appeal is listed for this Tuesday. It is not yet known if members of U2 will appear on the day as they are on a world tour, with three Tokyo gigs scheduled for next month.

biff said:
Yep, she's back. From today's Irish Independent:

Former U2 stylist heads to High Court over Stetson tug-of-war

CATHY MADDEN

A jaded-looking Bono told the courtroom, packed with journalists and members of the legal profession eager to get a glimpse of the show, that the Stetson had taken on iconic status, and giving it away would be tantamount to the Edge giving away one of his guitars.

As much as I dislike ms Cashman's actions, I still don't get it.
Did she steal those items?
Or did she receive them from the band?
In case of the latter, then I don't see how the band has any more rights to those items.

If Edge were to give on of his guitars away to some one, that person could eventually do with it whatever he/she pleases, no?

^I sort of see it like that, but I can also see why the band are angry at her for proffiting off of sentimental gifts. They may also be a little ticked about her tell-"all" book.

Cashman's case is resoundant of the losers trying to sell signed U2 by U2 books on E-bay. I think the band can spot when someone's trying to make a dishonest living.

Re: Re: The Return of Lola

greety said:

In case of the latter, then I don't see how the band has any more rights to those items.

If Edge were to give on of his guitars away to some one, that person could eventually do with it whatever he/she pleases, no?

There was something I remember about the original suit, it was way more than just the hat. The worth of the items at face value is really marginal and not worth taking a case into court (if it was only about those things, it should've been settled a long time ago). I think there was something else about either slander or defamation, something like that. If that's true, it seems like the photographs or whatever else she was clinging to would be far more valuable.

I think when people are working closely with the band (or any band), they typically sign confidentiality clauses. In that case, she can't be using those pictures in her book (that sorry waste of paper) or for whatever because they were obtained in confidence for personal use/scrapbooking.

biff said:
U2's former stylist Lola Cashman will make her long-awaited High Court challenge to the decision by a lower court that she must return items of wardrobe to the band, including a pair of Bono's trousers, on Tuesday

No, no, no... :tsk:

The woman must be :coocoo:, fighting over a pair of trouser in high court! :|

Re: Re: The Return of Lola

greety said:

Hi Greet :wave:

The impression I get is that she walked off with the items, under some kind of misunderstanding or wrong assumption. Not that they gave them to her, person to person, stating clearly, "we want to give this to you as a gift." I think that between the four band members one of them would remember doing that, and I think they have too much integrity to go back on their word if they've really given it clearly as a present.

That's just my impression from the little i've read. :shrug:

Is this woman bored or something? Hasn't she got anything better to do to pass her time then raking all this crap up again? I'm sure the band and manager Paul are pissed off with her going over this old ground...

on a lighter note: isn't she just happy with the fact that she got privilaged access to the band during their Joshua Tree tour? Who here wouldn't have done her job for absolutely nothing? :drool: :drool: ...ok, maybe a few snogs then...:whistle:

.....I'd happily have been Bono's dresser cosied up back stage and helping him out of his clothing...:evil:

Ok, going now...:evil:

Here we go again, the "bash the hell out of anyone who dares contradicts Bono's version of events" thread. :rolleyes:

Whatever the merits or not of Lola Cashman's version, the question needs to be asked just why are U2 so maniacal about fighting her. It's rarely said how U2 are obsessive about their public image. U2 and Principle Management have only pissed ONE person off in 30 years and that person has written a tell-all book???? Please!

Hmm...I must respectfully disagree, I don't think that anyone has bashed the h*ll out of anyone in this thread, that I have seen. I think this is one of those 'he said/she said' situations where it's impossible to know what really happened unless you were there. I did Google the name for info and came up with this interesting Bono quote:

"You may have wealth and power, but when someone is trying to push us around and blackmail us and threaten us with books, at a certain point you have to say 'Stop right there'," Bono said.

Curious as to what the backstory on that is! I suppose we'll never know for sure.

I admit I read the trashy book , it was horrible and I didn't believe a word of what Lola wrote about her days with U2. I believe she threatened the band prior to publishing her book, the publication was allowed, the rest of the story has unfolded as it should. Case of a disgruntled ex employee trying to make a name for herself as well as cash in on whatever she can manage to get. Pretty sad if you ask me. Lola is trashy. Her book was trash. I'm sorry I spent the money on it and refused to try to re-sell it to make any money, it went right in my trash when I finished it. The truth always comes out and she will be sorry she ever took this case thus far.

I read snippets of Lola's book once (in the bookstore), but I didn't buy it cos I can read fan fics for free on the internet. :wink:
That's not to say the stories in there couldn't be true, but the parts I read sound much the same as your average fan fic would. Well, maybe a little more derogatory towards the band.

Anyway, I don't like to pass judgement before I know the whole truth, but even if Lola is telling the truth in her book, she seems to be obsessing over these trousers to an extent I wouldn't expect from a sane person.

I admit it! I read the book the book too. :reject: In addditon to the incredible number of typos, it just wasn't very interesting. This was her tell all book? Bono obsessing over his height and Larry and Bono fighting over underpants? Oooh and they like to drink! She spend all time on the road with them and that's all she could come up with? My guess is that there is more to the story. Litigation over a pair of trousers just doesn't make sense. She probably knows more about them then they would like. Maybe that's what bono meant in the quote in Ralphie's post. I'm not saying they are bad things just probably private things that U2 don't feel the general public need to know. We know they are very protective of their pulic image. Fair enough. But really, 30 years and only one disgruntled employee? I say that's not bad!:wink:

Ya know my take on this whole situation is that maybe this Lola tried it on with one of the guys (which one is any one's guess but the fact she wants so desperately wants to hang onto Bono's trousers...:hmm: ) but got knocked back, maybe somewhat abruptly, and she wanted to get back at him anyway she could!?! A woman scorned and all that!! :shrug: But this is just total conjecture a my part but it certainly would answer a lot of questions!!! :wink:

She does have an appropriate name. Cash-man.

And um, it seems to me she is the one being maniacal. She lost in court and now she wants to get into legal fights again, over a few clothes. After already writing the oh-so revealing book. One out of how many U2 employees over the years? :hmm:
Nice move selling something that was given to you, as a GIFT. (assuming that is all that is to this story)

"Judge Deery agreed, saying the weight of the evidence was against Ms Cashman's version of events." Guess she didn't have much of a case, then.

Last edited:
Is that Lola in Rattle and Hum dressing Bono before he goes on stage with BB King to sing "When Love Comes To Town"?

http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/bono gives evidence at stetson appeal_1011095

Irish rocker BONO has renewed his efforts to keep hold of a Stetson hat 'stolen' by a former stylist, by giving evidence at her appeal in Dublin, Ireland earlier today (17OCT06). LOLA CASHMAN alleges she was given the hat and other memorabilia as presents by the band following their 1987 Joshua Tree tour and tried to sell them at Christie's auction house in 2002. U2 successfully sued last year (05) for the recovery of the trademark hat, a pair of earrings, a sweatshirt and a pair of trousers, claiming Cashman took them without permission. However, after Cashman launched an appeal, Bono was today forced to recount his evidence in Dublin High Court. Although taking care to praise the stylist's talents, the singer insisted she lacked social skills: "She had a very good eye. She had a lot more experience than us. But it was very clear on almost immediate arrival she wasn't a good in dealing with personal relationships, and initially put a lot of people's noses out of place." The court also heard Cashman was responsible for the transport of all wardrobe items. The case continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom