The Promises we make pt 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
-It's been a crazy weekend! I've been writing just a little bit here and there so if this chapter doesn't flow well, I apologize! I felt the need to keep moving forward with the story even though I had so little time.

Hope you like it :D

*Disclaimer: ~ Though inspired in part by real people; none of the stuff in the story really happened or is intended to represent reality in anyway. It’s just a daydream.

The Promises we make pt 12

It had been more than a week since he had rushed out of Dublin in search of the missing Angel, and as eager as he usually was to be home, Bono didn’t go straight to his own house. He knew it would feel suffocating in it’s emptiness.

He drove past his own gates and turned into Edge’s house, right next door to his own. It was an extremely comforting thing, to have your closest mate always nearby. He parked the Maserati and hurried inside, calling out to his friend, announcing his presence.

“Hey, you’re home!” He was greeted enthusiastically by Edge hugging him in that oh-so-manly patting each other on the back sort of way. “How’d it go?”

“Ah… It wasn’t great. She’s not coming back.” He told him, his blue eyes darkening at the thought. Edge frowned sympathetically and nodded, knowing if there was more Bono wanted or needed to say, he would do so without needing to be asked.

“You can have Cat, if you want her.” Adam joked as he appeared in the archway between the hall and the kitchen. “I’m still trying to get used to the idea of having a little baby around, nobody bothers to warn me that my wife is going to take a complete leave of her senses!” He complained playfully.

“She’s acting pretty crazy, huh?” Bono asked his friend, greeting him with a quick hug.

“She’s off her nut! One minute she’s listening to some Joe Cocker song and crying her bloody eyes out, the next she’s screaming bloody murder because someone ate the last of whatever she had her mind set on to eat! Then she’ll turn around and want to shag like rabbits.” This elicited a snort of surprised laughter from Bono, who turned to look at Adam to make sure he’d heard him right.

“I’m serious, I’ve no idea from one minute to the next who the woman in my own bed is.”

“Makes you feel young again, does it?” Bono teased, and Adam had to smile at that.

“You know what I meant.”

“So is that what you’re doing here? Hiding?” Bono asked as he opened the refrigerator to peer inside in search of a Guinness.

“Basically.” Adam sighed. “Simone’s over there shooting some promotional photos of the band to use with the CD. I took the chance to slip out without the melodramatics.”

“What is this?” Bono asked, poking around in the refrigerator at some plastic dishes full of leftovers. “You learning how to cook now?”

“I know how to cook.” Edge argued with a laugh. “But those aren’t mine, Tessa cooked those.”

“Oh, really? Been coming over and taking over the kitchen, has she? I guess that little trip to Paris went well, then.” He surmised, retrieving his Guinness and kicking the door shut behind him as he turned to face his friends.

“The trip went fine.” Edge agreed, trying to be casual though his cheeks hurt from trying to fight his smile. “But she didn’t take anything over. The kids were here and I asked her to come over and meet them.” He informed him, and Bono cocked an eyebrow first at Edge and then at Adam who smiled and nodded his affirmation that Edge had introduced Tessa to his three children from his earlier marriage.

“How’d it go?”

“It went well. They seemed to get on fine.” Edge told him, retrieving a Guinness for himself now. After taking a long pull on it he looked Bono in the eye and couldn’t help but grin and tell him about the things he’d been trying to keep inside. “It went really well. I think… I can’t believe this, but I think… I’m going to ask her to marry me.”

“What?” Adam asked, shocked that this was the first he was hearing of this possibility.

“Wow. That’s great, man, congratulations. It doesn’t seem too fast, to you?”

“I haven’t done anything yet.” Edge said with a nod. “I was just thinking about talking to Adam, but I was afraid I’d be wed before nightfall. He is the one who decided to get married at noon and was on his honeymoon by seven thirty that night after all.”

“I didn’t decide to get married at noon that day.” Adam argued playfully. “I knew I wanted to marry Cat the first moment I laid eyes on her. Why do you think I ran the hell away from her at first?” He said with a smirk, Bono and Edge laughing at the thought.

“Seriously though, it’s not like we’re a couple of teenagers. We’ve both been married before, we know we love each other.” He shrugged and took another drink. “It’s just there, you know?” He said, pointing to his head. “All the time, the thought is there.”

“It sounds like you really know what you want.” Bono told his friend. “I think you’ve got to go for it.” He said, and Adam nodded his agreement though playfully rolling his eyes.

“Yeah.” Edge agreed, smiling softly at the very thought. Talking about it like this, out loud, with his close mates, made it all the more real, and even more exciting.

“These are going to be great pictures, Simone.” Tessa was telling the photographer as she stood behind her, watching her carefully pack up her equipment. “You’ve got a gift, getting them to be so natural and comfortable with you snapping pictures of them all the while.”

“I don’t know about that.” Simone said with a smile. “They know me, is all. Besides, they’re naturals. They live to entertain.”

“No, I don’t think so. I don’t think even anyone is made to always be on display. But you get the right combination of people, and something happens that everybody wants to watch, to be a part of.” Tessa remarked, and both women knew she wasn’t speaking only about Tequila Monster, but of the men in their lives.

“So what are you doing tonight?” Cat asked, sitting down at the kitchen table and joining in on the conversation as Simone packed the delicate equipment into a series of bags on the table. “Trine said you wanted her to baby-sit.”

“Uh, yeah. I have a uh, … well, a date.” She replied nervously. She couldn’t help but smile when she said it though. She had a date. With Larry. The thought made her feel like her belly was full of fourth of July fireworks. The night he had kissed her, she had fallen asleep on the couch before Pauley’s eyes even got heavy.

Since then she had had to work (and refused to let Larry get her out of it the way he had that first night) or he had obligations he couldn’t get out of, and they had barely seen one another. They had set this night aside days ago after they realized how different their schedules were. Now that the day was here she could hardly think about anything else.

“A date?” Cat asked with interest. “What’s he like?” Simone grinned at this, still keeping her head down and not looking Cat in the eye.

“Well, he’s… Irish.” She said, and Cat rolled her eyes.

“C’mon! What’s his name, at least?” she prodded.

“Larry.” Simone said, reaching across the table and picking up a set of lenses to pack away. She finally looked up at Tessa and Cat who were staring at her as if she had said she was seeing a Martian.

“Larry, as in Mullen?” Cat asked, and Simone nodded and shrugged.

“About time.” Cat told her, smiling wickedly.

“I think that’s great. I’ve wondered if the two of you would quit fighting it and get together already.” Tessa told her coyly. Simone blushed furiously at this, realizing how obvious the attraction must have been.

“Well, it’s just a first date. It doesn’t exactly mean we’re together. Just… considering it a possibility.” She told her friends with a smile.

“What’s a possibility?” Adam asked as he strolled into the kitchen from the garage, Bono close behind. Cat leapt up and ran to wrap her arms around him in an enthusiastic hug.

“You’re home!” She cried, “How’d it go?”

“Could’ve been better. I’m ok now.” He told her, hugging her back.

“Where’s Angel?” She asked, stepping back to look him in the eye.

“She’s not coming back.” He told her, shaking his head.

“What? Where is she, I’ll have a talk with her…” Cat started, but was interrupted when Bono laughed.

“I don’t think you getting your ass kicked again will help, but thanks.” He teased, and she smiled in embarrassment at her over-reaction.

“I’m sorry.” She told him sincerely.

“It had nothing to do with you. I’m sorry you got caught in the crossfire.” He told her.

“How’d the photo shoot go?” Adam asked, looking Cat up and down, taking in the uniquely Catalina outfit she wore. It was a comprised of a white lace and spandex halter top with long sleeves. There was more fabric in the long sleeves, Adam suspected, than in the rest of the shirt. The rest of the outfit was a pair of black pseudo-leather hip-huggers and a pair of motorcycle boots. Catalina somehow managed to balance sexy and tough at the same time.

“It went really well. We shot the group and then individual portraits of all three of them, there should be a lot of stuff to work with. I’ll start developing them in the morning.” Simone replied as she zipped up her bags and slung them over her shoulder. Simone held the door for her and she wished them all a good night as she hurried to her car, her heart fluttering like a hummingbirds wings.

She hurried home, showered and then stood in front of her closet and deliberated over what to where. They had agreed to set the evening aside to go out, but never specified where they would be going. After several changes she finally thought about everything she knew about him and decided on a simple pair of jeans and white button down shirt. She had just pulled her mass of copper highlighted brown curls back into a pony-tail when she heard the rumble of his motorcycle outside.

Her face broke into a broad grin immediately and she tried to control it so she didn’t seem too eager when he came in. The last thing she wanted to be was putty in his hands. He was the first man she had really dated since Pauley was born, a lot of things had changed. It was a whole new game. Of course, she realized as she looked out the window and watched him climbing off the Harley, just the man he was would’ve made it completely new on his own.

His jeans fit him like his own skin, hugging his muscular legs and backside and leaving little to the imagination. He wore a black leather vest over a black, short sleeved button down shirt, which as usual, was only buttoned about halfway. He slipped his helmet off and ran a comb through his hair, bringing to mind a dozen cheesy old films about the 1950’s. She covered her mouth, repressing a giggle.

She felt like she was fifteen and sneaky off with an older boy behind her parents back. The bad boy, the one they would never have approved of. She shook the silly thoughts from her mind and slipped into a pair of sneakers before moving outside to greet him. One corner of his mouth twitched up in a smile when he saw her, and she wished she could see his pretty eyes which were hidden behind a pair of dark glasses. His eyes were so expressive, they told her everything.

“Hey.” She greeted him, moving casually toward the drive, where he stood, leaning back casually against his bike, his long legs stretched out in front of him.

“Hey.” He replied, standing and moving forward to greet her. He stopped just before her, his hands buried in his pockets and his shoulders shrugged together. “You ready?” He asked and she laughed slightly.

“Yeah.” She told him, realizing she was not the only one who felt a bit like this was the very first date, and not just the first for the two of them together. He handed her the extra helmet he’d brought and she put it on as he donned his, climbing onto the big machine behind him. She found her footholds quickly and he glanced back at her to make sure she was ready again before the engine roared to life.

“Hold on.” He called back to her when she seemed reluctant to grab hold of him as they began to move. It didn’t take long for her to wrap her arms around him, her chest pressed firmly against his back her arms holding tight to his waist and her hands resting against his warm chest. The bikes engine was alive below them, the wind rushing by on every side and their bodies were pressed together tightly. She hadn’t ridden shotgun on a motorcycle in years, but she certainly didn’t remember it being quite so sensual of an experience.

At one stoplight in the city, she heard a small crowd of people begin talking loudly and pointing their way, a camera or two flashing. She smiled and shook her head, reminding herself no matter what, at this point, Larry would never be just another man. Especially not in Dublin. Even if that was all he really wanted to be.

He parked the bike outside of a small but cozy restaurant with an view of the ocean, stretching broadly as he climbed off and then offering her a hand down. It took her a moment for her legs to adjust to walking again, her thighs sore from the long ride across the city.

“Sorry, I didn’t think about that. Guess I should’ve brought the jeep.” He told her with a smirk. The last thing she wanted was for him to think she was uncomfortable on his beloved bike, her pride wouldn’t allow her to admit any such thing.

“I’m fine.” She told him with a dismissive wave of her hand. He gestured toward the door and let her lead the way in, and she could feel him watching her walk. She turned and cast a glance back over her shoulder at him, and his handsome face broke into a broad, guilty smile. He stepped forward and held the door for her, and a pretty young woman with shiny red hair and bright blue eyes greeted them with a smile.

“Good evening. A table for two tonight?” She asked, her pen and pad ready to add them to the list of the others waiting in the small lobby for a table.

“I called earlier.” Larry informed her. “Larry Mullen jr.” As if he really had to introduce himself. As soon as the girl had looked away from her and her eyes had landed on his handsome face Simone had known she recognized him.

“Of course!” She said, her eyes wide and full of admiration for the man. Simone hid her smile behind her hand and followed the girls lead through the restaurant and out onto the small deck which overlooked the sea. There were half a dozen tables but all of them were empty. On the door, Simone saw, there was a small sign which read ‘patio closed tonight reserved for private party’. She glanced back at Larry who smirked at her surprise.

“Showing off?” She teased.

“I don’t usually subscribe to Bono’s motto, but once in awhile I agree. What’s the point of being able to do certain extra or special things and never doing them?” He told her, as they took the table in the furthest corner from the windows.

“You’re waitress will be right out. Can I get you something to drink while you wait?” The girl, whose name tag identified her as Megan, asked, her eyes never once leaving Larry’s face.

“Wine?” Larry asked, looking up from the menu to Simone.

“I think I’ll stick with water tonight.” She replied. Her hormones were already working overtime, the last thing she needed was to have her inhibitions lowered.

“Just water for both of you?” The waitress asked after a moment, and Larry nodded his agreement, his face downturned to study the menu again. The hostess turned and retreated back into the restaurant.

“Oh, I can’t believe I forgot about this!” Simone exclaimed, reaching into her pocket and withdrawing a small box about the size of a business card and slightly thicker than a matchbook. “My uncle passed on a few months ago…” she started.

“I’m sorry.”

“Thank you. This is… well, ok, let me start over. All of the men in my family are military men. They graduate high school and then the big question was never whether or not to go into the service, but which branch. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines. None of the above was not an option.” She told him, looking up from the box in the palm of her hand to see that he was listening.

“Anyway, my uncle was stationed in Germany in (insert year).” She told him, and saw recognition dawn on him. “With Elvis.” She confirmed with a smile. “And they got along pretty well. Anyway, he gave these to my uncle. They knew they’d be worth something someday.” She told him, handing over the box.

“I know there are a pair on display in Memphis, too, but Elvis conveniently ‘lost’ this set. He got into some trouble over it, but I think that was half of reason the gift meant something to my uncle.” She explained as Larry opened the box to discover a pair of dog-tags inside.

“Holy shit.” He breathed, running his fingers over the indented lettering declaring that they belonged to Elvis Presley. “That’s incredible.” He told her, closing the box and moving to hand it back to her. She closed her hand over his and pushed it back.

“No, I want you to have them.” She told him.

“Simone, I … no, your uncle left them to you. I couldn’t.” He told her. “Besides, Pauley will love these someday.”

“Pauley isn’t old enough to appreciate them. You are.” She argued. “By the time he is old enough to understand what they’re worth, he might not like Elvis at all anymore.” Larry looked down at the dog-tags and studied them intensely or a moment before looking back up into her eyes and speaking.

“I’ll take them, but only because I plan on still being around to give them back when Pauley is old enough.” He told her, and she smiled instinctively, blushing and looking away.

“That’s not the kind of promise you usually make on the first date.” She joked, and he leaned forward across the table, his face close to hers, making her look him in the eye.

“This isn’t a typical first date.” He told her with a suppressed smile. “C’mon, you know this is more than that already, don’t you?” He asked, his blue eyes darkening.

“Yeah, ok. You’ve got a point.” She agreed, feigning resignation. She looked across the table at him, the setting sun framing him in silhouette, and she thought if he only knew just how much more he would be as scared as she was.

As Larry steered the motorcycle into the driveway of her tiny house Simone’s heart was pounding in her chest. After dinner, he had taken her to a jazz club which was featuring a group performing the music of the Rat Pack. They hadn’t had much chance to talk with the noise in the club, but he had managed to communicate his feelings to her clearly anyway.

Every time she looked at him, the intensity of the desire in his eyes was nearly overwhelming. There was hardly a moment when they weren’t touching, whether it was their legs brushing together beneath the table or his hand in the small of her back. She had enough experience to know where it was leading. As much as she wanted to go there, she was still hesitant.

The engine stilled as Larry turned the key in the ignition and Simone slid off the bike, much more easily now than she had earlier in the night. Larry was still straddling the bike when she blurted out exactly what had been bothering her before she realized she was even going to say it out loud.

“You don’t have to date me just because you like my son.” She told him and he slipped his helmet off, turning to stare at her in shock. “I mean, he likes you and you … you were right, it’s good for him to have a man to look up to. I won’t keep you from doing that.”

“Do you really think I went out with you tonight because of Pauley?” He asked her, his handsome face drawn tight in a concerned frown. She didn’t know what to say. It wasn’t so much that she thought that was the true reason as it was that she feared it would be. She didn’t want him to be with her for Pauley’s sake. She wanted him to want her; as a friend and as a woman.

He reached out and grabbed her wrist, pulling her up closer to the bike, pressed against the length of one muscular leg. She looked up into his eyes and her heart broke open, all of her doubts and fears spilling out.

“You could have a woman twice as beautiful and half as old as I am.” She told him.

“I don’t want anyone else.” He told her honestly. He chuckled and shook his head at her. “I’m an open book, Simone. I don’t play the games most people play. I don’t pretend to be something other than who and what I am. The moment I realized I wanted to be with you, I thought I let you know that.”

“You… you want me?” She asked, on a whisper, her cheek brushing his as their faces drew close to each other. He smiled a broad, honest smile.

“I’ve never said any different.” He assured her, his breath against her lips as he spoke. She leaned in and brushed her lips against his quickly, fleetingly, once. Then again. The next time their lips met, his arm slid around behind her and lifted her back onto the bike to straddle his lap with her back to the handle bars.

He kissed her, over and over and over again, just the same way she had kissed him, until the world spun crazily around her. She had no sense of up or down, right or left, all she could feel were his arms around her and the points at which their bodies met as she sat across his lap with one leg on either side of his square hips.

Finally he slid one strong hand up into her hair, guiding her into a better position to kiss her more deeply. She wrapped her arms around his neck and melted against him, her lips parting eagerly for his tongue to delve into the sensitive depths of her mouth. His hands slid down over her back, stopping under her knees to pull her tighter against him, his hips rocking forward and emphasizing the sincerity of his interest in her. She pulled away from his kiss, leaning back and looking into that handsome face.

“I don’t think you want the neighbors selling pictures of this to the gossip papers.” She told him with a smile, and he scowled at her playfully. “Don’t worry, I doubt I’ll forget about this the next time we’re alone together somewhere more private.” She whispered in his ear, making him moan playfully. She slid off his lap and started toward the house, not having to look back to know he was right behind her.

-Ok the end of this scene has been edited, and I have a list of a few people who have already requested the full scene. Anyone else who is interested let me know.

Last edited:
Hey :) I'm late to the party, but completely loving your fic. The interplay between Larry and Pauley is fantastic, but of course the potential for hot Larry is a draw, too *eg* If it's not too late to ask, could you send the rest of it to me? antigone_ks@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom