the Linden girl pt 17(2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
every one knows the Irish love a good fight espicially amongst each other:lol:

“So are you another old army friend of Edge’s?” Katrina enquired as Larry sat with them

“Me? in the Brit army.. No chance!” Larry scowled at the very idea, “And I see he has you calling him by that stupid name he got.. The Edge, only Brits could think up something that dumb” he said in disgust.

Katrina looked uncomfortable, not sure what to say realising Larry had taken offence at her query, whilst Edge just chuckled at her bewildered expression

“Don’t mind Larry, we have been friends from we were kids, but me joining King George’s army is one thing he finds hard to forgive me for.. But I think he is coming around, his face usually goes a much deeper shade of purple at the mention of it, followed by a lot of swearing”

“You are just lucky there is a lady present Davey Boy” Larry addressed him, but there was a hint of good humour in his tone now as if realising his earlier tirade had worried Katrina, and recollecting himself to behave in front of her

“Well perhaps its better if we don’t mention the army again” Katrina suggested, “And if you like I can call him Davey boy as well” she added with a mischievous twinkle in her eye then shooting a sly glance at Edge, who grinned to hide his embarrassment

That suits me” Larry replied in satisfaction, “now I will go and see if the food is ready” he got up to go into the small kitchen area in the back of the pub.

“So Davey boy, you and Larry are childhood friends?” Katrina remarked putting emphasis on his name just to tease him a little more.

“You’re not going to let me live that down are you?” Edge queried in amusement, “I think I am starting to regret bringing you along here today”

“I am glad you did, I wonder what other tales Larry could tell me about your past, what you both got up to as young lads?”

“Believe me, you don’t want to know” Edge replied, but then his smile faded as he noticed two men enter the pub, they also caught sight of him, they exchanged some remark with each other, then with a deliberate gait walked over towards where Edge and Katrina sat and stood not to far behind them

Katrina noticed how Edge had stiffened, although he did not look in the direction of the two men, she suddenly felt the unease come over her again, aware they had once more attracted some sort of unwelcome attention

The dark haired one with the thick bushy beard was the first to speak to his ginger haired companion

“Don’t ye smell a terrible stink in here, the stink of a traitor”

“Aye, its filling me nostrils so it is” his companion drawled in reply “It seems Mullen is not so fussy who he lets drink in his pub”

Edge remained silent and unmoving, Katrina wished the floor would open up and swallow them into oblivion, away from what was happening.

“Yeah he wants to be more careful who he lets drink in this place,” the dark haired one sneered.

Edge was up of his seat swiftly to face them both, “If you got something to say, you can say it to my face” he stated.

Katrina felt her anxiety rise to the point her fists were clutched tightly on her knees and wished Larry would arrive to intercede

“Look at him” the dark haired one then said with open contempt, “Think he’s a big man cos he fought for a Brit King” he spat on the floor just missing Edges booted foot

“Then he comes back with his Spanish whore and kid. And expects us to welcome them all as one of our own.. But your not” he now sneered in Edges face, “suppose you think you are better than us now you married that upper class bitch” he then taunted jutting his chin out challengingly

It was the last provocation Edge needed or was going to take.

“I am a better man than you any day O’Rourke” he snarled before sending his fist smashing into the bearded jaw sending him reeling backwards and falling against the nearby table where everyone scattered.

Katrina let out a cry of alarm as the ginger haired man along with another both grabbed Edge as he was about to dive on O’Rourke again.

Recovering from the blow O’Rourke staggered back up on his feet rubbing his jaw with a look of pure malice.

“You are going to gets yours Evans” he stated maliciously raising his fist to punch Edge who was struggling to try and free himself from the other two men who held him back.

Katrina jumped up on her feet as O’Rourke’s fist targeted Edges stomach, at that point Larry arrived one the scene, getting between O’Rourke and the captive Edge much to Katrina‘s relief.

“Now just hang on a minute fella’s” he objected sounding almost conversational in his tone

“Its bad enough you pick on my friend in my own pub, but three against one is hardly a fair fight, so maybe we should even up the odds eh?”

And before any of them had a chance to respond, Larry punched O’Rourke in the face sending him flying back into the table again

Edge had taken the opportunity to break free from his captors and the next few minutes for Katrina went by in an anxious whirl, as fists and feet flew and she found herself pressed up against the wall to avoid getting hurt, whilst everyone else made room for the fight and cheered them on

Larry and Edge seem to have the upper hand as they worked as a team, between them they manage to throw O’Rourke out the door where he landed on his face, there was only his ginger haired companion left standing and when he realised Edge and Larry where bearing down on him, he fled out the door deciding he was not going to tackle them both and went out to help his friend O’Rourke up of the ground
“And don’t come back, yer not welcome here!” Larry shouted after them warningly

Katrina was now over beside Edge noticing his lip was cut “Are you alright?” she asked anxiously

“I’m fine” Edge reassured her putting his arm around her and wincing slightly where his ribs ached.. Then he turned to Larry noticing the mess of the pub “I’m sorry about this.. I will pay for any damage”

“No you will not” Larry replied indignantly “O’Rourke started the bloody fight he can pay for it” he glared at the remaining customers who stood around surveying the mess, not sure what to do.

“Don’t all stand around gawping, drinks are on me” Larry stated this was followed by a cheer.

Larry turned to Edge and Katrina, “C’mon we will go through to my private parlour, you will be able to eat and peace in there” he insisted leading them around the other side of the bar counter.

Katrina was bewildered by the fact that despite Edge getting bruised and battered in a bar room brawl he seemed in high spirits, even after they left Larry’s and made their way home, he was looking pleased with himself, and just grinned when she chastised him about fighting and how he could have got seriously hurt

He couldn’t explain it to her, he knew she would not understand. This past few weeks he had been lost in a morose mood, with things weighing heavily on his mind, it had culminated in their falling out the day before.

He had used up all that pent up frustration on O’Rourke and his companions, yes his ribs and face ached a little after the encounter, but inside his spirits were high, his head felt clearer than it had done in a long time.

He felt he could take on the world, but decided he would start with Katrina.. He had not made love to her for over a week, but he was about to remedy that. As they reached their home and got inside the door, she fussed anxiously over him like a mother hen worried he was hurt, wanting him to take it easy. She never looked so lovely in his eyes as she did now

He pulled her into his arms “Stop your fretting woman I am fine, and I can prove it” he told her and then proceeded to kiss her soundly

“Oh Davey boy” she murmured teasingly as her arms snaked around him and her worries about him being hurt were forgotten as they made their way to the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom